Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1078 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 05:30pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

My computer wont turn on at all! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
steve kostro Oct 20, 2005, 02:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: My computer wont turn on at all!
I have a similiar problem, i came home for lunch today and went to turn on my cpu and nothing happened. I tried other outlets and still nothing. I have the thing hooked up to a surge protector too. What could be the problems?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Charlie Schliesser Nov 01, 2005, 12:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was on my computer last night, no problems whatsoever. I shut it down properly.

This morning, I pressed the front power button and all the fans kicked on for a second. Then off. The green light stays on... I unplugged all cables but power and tried again... nothing. I unplugged power, opened it up, and systematically tried to repower after unplugging one by one every hard drive/cd drive/pulling memory/pulling pci cards/agp card/etc... Still wont power for more than half a second. I cleared my CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard.. still no luck.

Is this the power supply? Why the hell would it go out overnight with a surge protector? I'm not buying it.

alex asigno Dec 02, 2005, 06:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well this is exactly the same problem im now having. Computer only one month old never had a problem. Turned it off. I went to turn it on this morning and the power comes on for about half a second and then goes back out again. Everytime i press the button it does the same.

I have tried using my spare PSU and it does the same, and i have tried replacing the switch and it still does the same?

Any ideas please :-(

mike spik Feb 07, 2006, 04:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey, i have a similar problem. the difference is:
1) my computer was pretty screwed up in the first place (when it turned on, all it said was "no operating system found")
2) usually, i just press any key or restart the computer a few times and it works, but this time it wasnt
3) i then proceeded to unplug the back power chord from the tower
4) afterwards the computer hasnt been able to turn on (checked back switch, and wires)

would it be RAM or power unit like the other problems?

Charlie Schliesser Feb 07, 2006, 11:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If it said Operating System not found, but would indeed boot normally after several reboots, and you now cannot get a boot at all: 100% it is harddrive failure. Harddrive failure/memory failure/PCI slot failure can cause a no-boot on any system.

Are you familiar with hwo to replace a harddrive? If you want some help with this, please shoot me an email, charlie@kastaris.com and I'll do eveyrthing I can.

Elizabeth Gray Feb 15, 2006, 04:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 15, 2006, 04:58am EST

I have the same problem, power supply turns on for a couple of seconds, cpu fires up and then nothing. cant see what is shorting things out if thats the issue. I know it is decidely painful. Have disconnected hd floppy etc will remove all the cards now to see if that makes a difference

Dan0 Feb 21, 2006, 04:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Im having the exact 100% same problems :(. Been here like 3 hours and still no joy, im going try out the Ram solution. I plugged in my iPod and my computer died. Not even a bleep.

shaun magoon Mar 04, 2006, 09:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: My computer wont turn on at all BENCH TEST DID IT
I COMMEND MARK ROBINSON, IF YOU DONT DO A BENCH TEST YOUR A FOOL.... WE DID IT HERE AND THEN FOUND THE SHORT BY GOING THUR THE CASE WIRE BY WIRE AND SCREW BY SCREW.. DO THE BENCH TEST AND SAVE YOURSELF SOME HEADACHES.......

Michael Foshinbaur Nov 03, 2006, 05:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was mixing a couple songs on my computer, running quite a few programs. When I went to turn off the computer, because I was going to put in a new DVD drive in there, I got a few windows messages telling me that the USB device was not recognizable. I got the error message a few times, and then it turned off. I have to LED lights on the front of the case, Power and HDD activity, and when it turned off, the HDD activity light went crazy, but the power light was not on at all.

I have checked all connections, but the computer will still not turn on. I get no lights now when I press the power button. It is as if the power cord is not plugged in at all. I don't have the money for a new PSU or a PSU tester, so if you could help me out with a self check for the PSU, that would be nice.

Also, ever since we had a power outtage, about a month or so ago, I have come home from school to see that my computer has turned off, but it always came back on.

-mikefosh

-_-
Case: Powmax|CAG101-KKN BT RT
MoBo: Biostar NF325-A7 NF3-250 754
Graphics: EVGA GF6200 AGP 256-A8-N341-L2
PSU: DiabloTEK 420W
CPU: AMD|A64 3400+ 2.4Ghz 754 512K
RAM: 1Gx2|Patroit D400 PSD2G400KH R
-_-

PS: When I first ordered the computer, I had a different PSU in there, but I didn't check to see if the switch was at the right one, I guess, and completely blew the fuse. Luckly I had a spare on from a friends computer that was laying around my house. That is the one i use, but it was a brand new PSU, only used for like 5 hours.

Charlie Schliesser Nov 03, 2006, 06:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That sounds odd, but I'm not sure I understand what exactly you did.

Did you turn off your computer, install a DVD-rom, then turn it back on to receive the USB errors? If this is the case and it will no longer boot properly, try pulling out the DVD-rom drive. I'm not sure why this would be reporting as "USB device error"... unless perhaps this is an external DVD-rom drive? Please follow up with details and we'll get you taken care of. You can also shoot me an email at "charlie at csdesignco dot com" (replace with @ and .)

Michael Foshinbaur Nov 04, 2006, 12:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No, when I went to start menu > shut down > turn off, I got the message. Then when it would not turn back on, I did not try putting the DVD drive in. I tried unplugging every USB device I had, and still nothing. (The DVD drive is internal)

Charlie Schliesser Nov 04, 2006, 02:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay lets begin troubleshooting...

I have some more questions. Does it reboot EVERYDAY on its own or is it random? If so, it may be restarting due to a problem with Windows Update that has emerged recently, where regardless of whether you tell it to only install updates manualy or not, it may still restart after updating without your consent.

To single out the problem, begin pulling it apart, piece by piece. Power off and unplug, and then pull out the memory. Plug in and turn on - do you get any more lights or activity? Try this with the memory, video card, hard drive, and cd-rom drive. I would suggest doing it in this order:

Hard Drive
Memory
Video Card
CD-Rom

anything else you can think of... although a faulty network card/firewire card/etc *shouldn't* stop a boot, although there would be other problems... but you would still be able to boot.

If you can simply devote 20 minutes to testing if any of these pieces of hardware are faulty it will push you significantly closer towards fixing it.

Michael Foshinbaur Nov 05, 2006, 02:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I can't get it to turn on at all. Not that it turns on for like 2 seconds then turns off, it won't power on at all. It is as if the power cord is not plugged in, but it is.

Charlie Schliesser Nov 05, 2006, 03:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I thought you said the power light was off but that HDD was lighting up. Either way, you should still pull stuff out until you get it to start. If you're not familiar at all with the insides of your computer we can help... I assure you if you take your time it'll be just fine.

Martin Phan Nov 08, 2006, 05:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay, I have this same problem.. I'm on my roommates computer right now.. Let me explain..
About a week ago, I was playing WoW, and suddenly my computer makes this loud BRRRRRRRRRRR noise. Now I try to emergency shut down it, and it doesn't work, I try to move my mouse, doesn't work. So I unplugged my power supply. I plug it back and I push my power button, and nothing happens. It's like it's dead. So I'm like CRAP I FRIED MY POWER SUPPLY! So I go out and buy a new one, plug everything in, and it doesn't work. And I'm thinkin, 'Maybe it's my hard drive.' so I go out and buy a new hard drive too! I plug everything in, NOTHING WORKS. I tried removing my ram and putting it back in, all that. I don't know what to do now, I've been frustrated for about 2 days now trying to figure it out. Can someone please help me before I go kill myself =(.

The light on my MOBO is still on from the sound card being connected to it, and the Ethernet cord's green light is on too, so I don't think it's my motherboard..

I'm just kidding about killing myself, don't go call the cops ^_^;

Thanks in advance.

Charlie Schliesser Nov 08, 2006, 07:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kk lets start the troubleshooting....

It was pretty ballsy of you to go buy a new hard drive and power supply so quickly.. you may not need either but hey a 2nd hard drive and a more powerful PSU is great.

It was smart to pull the ram as well, as faulty ram will hault a boot. I would continue pulling things - video card (since you were playing WoW when it happened), disk drives, etc.. And since you heard that BRRRR sound as you put it, start with the drives - cd/dvd/hd. It's not cool to just pull the plug as it will force a shutdown, but its not to my knowledge any different than holding the power button for five seconds to force a shutdown... the PSU doesn't have a chip in it and is _not_ told by the motherboard "ok, decrease power slowly, we're shutting things down." So I dont think you fried the PSU by unplugging it.

Don't go kill yourself =) just pull things one by one until you get a boot (lights on your case should light up, i understnad it will probably not boot without proper hardware in it). The piece that's out when it boots is the problem - replace it.

Again, the loud sound you heard tells us it was a _moving part_ and therefore it is probably that it was a cd/dvd/hd and still somewhat likely that it was the fan on your graphics card or on another piece of hardware.

Cheers, send me a message @ charlie @ csdesignco . com and we'll continue.

Martin Phan Nov 08, 2006, 09:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Do you have AIM or something? I have limited time, being on my roommate's computer and all..

But this is what I did, I pulled out the Video card, tried to turn on, didn't work, pulled out Ram, didn't work, pulled out the Hard Drive, didn't work, pulled out the DVDDrive, didn't work.. I don't know what else to do.. However, I did figure out that if I pulled the plug on my power supply, the LED on my motherboard goes off, but when I plug it back in, it turns back on.. BUT, if I try to turn off the Power supply with the button, the light doesnt go off, maybe that's something? Or probably worthless, I don't know..After all that, I just took out everything except the mb,cpu,heatsink and replugged everything cause I was angry and wanted to see if it would work afterwards... Nothing at all. =[.

Sigh.. maybe I'll RMA everything back to Newegg.. It's close to my warranty expiration time. =[.

Help!

Cooper Shrieve Dec 30, 2006, 12:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Then how the hell did u post that comment?!?

Charlie Schliesser Dec 30, 2006, 01:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

from a different computer.

Russell Artwich Jan 01, 2007, 11:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok so i read every single post here..im have a pretty similar problem with my computer, its an HP Pavilion a350e, about 4 years old or so...well everything has been stock in it since i bought it, but last year my brother put some of his ram into it, a 512...well i just bought a new ram stick yesturday same type and everything..i put it in plugged my computer and everything back in and it wouldnt power on. ive taken the ram chips out switched them around, kept 1 in, switched, everything i could possibly do with the ram ive tried..still wont turn on at all..i get the small green led light flashing fast in the back under the power cord when i plug it in but thats the only way you can even tell that its getting power..im on my brothers computer right now so ill hopefully be able to check back tomorrow afternoon but any help would be great..plus i dont know alot about computer hardware and the internals..i can just fix problems when it actually starts up..i also havent smelt anything burn so i dont think i fried anything. ive taken out a few plugs and put them back in to make sure they fit in tightly and they were, ive checked the power sockets and they work fine, ive checked the back switch that changes the voltage, its in the right position, ive tried tips i saw on here and i tried everything on the troubleshooting guide i could figure out how to do on HPs website and nothing worked

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.