Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1471 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 12 - 01:35am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

My computer wont turn on at all! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Charlie Schliesser Jan 02, 2007, 12:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: My computer wont turn on at all!
Does it turn on when you put the ram in the original position? i.e. only the original 512 stick from a while ago? On some systems (motherboards specificaly) you must install ram in same-pairs, like 2 512's or 2 256's at the same time. Most newer motherboards don't care and will mix and match anything.

If you can't get the computer to boot with the two sticks and can't get it to boot with *only* the new stick you bought, but can get it to boot with the one old stick, then it's a bad ram module. Return it for a different one. If it's not booting from the old stick in there solo, then you may have discharged some stored electricity from your body into the motherboard/ram/something when you were in there. Was it unplugged throughout the process? Honestly, I will sometimes just install something with the power off, although it's good practice to unplug it. I'm probably being dumb and impatient when I do this. =)

Post back or send an email to charlie at csdesignco dot com and I'll try and help further.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Russell Artwich Jan 02, 2007, 11:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
no it wont start with the old ram in there only either...and it can take 2 different types of ram because my brother put in a 512 in there about a year ago nd it originaly only has 256. also yes i had it unplugged when i changed everything...but i did have the computer laying on my carpet which i just read alst night it can mess up the motherboard like that..well does anybody have an idea if maybe i have a bad hard drive or what and how much it might cost to fix

Charlie Schliesser Jan 02, 2007, 12:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Will it boot with *no* ram in it? It should turn on and stay on. Although it will not load windows or anything, it ought to at least give you the BIOS screen.

If it is not turning on in this state, I suggest you pull a few things to see what the deal is. Have you heard any clicking sounds recently? Problems with video card? 3d games crashing? Has anything else been added? Is there a chance you bent something when putting in this second memory stick? I'm really reaching here to try and guess the problem.

Russell Artwich Jan 02, 2007, 02:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
no the sticks look fine, i just tried turning it on with no ram in there but it wouldnt turn on either..i cant figure out what else it could be.ive checked every cable inside and they allare connected so idk what else would make this problem happen...and the only new things added before the new ram was i installed a few of the Sims games and played them for a while on my computer a couple days before it stopped working

Charlie Schliesser Jan 02, 2007, 02:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just did some research and found that there are boards out there that wont even beep on boot without ram, therefore they would appear stone cold dead.

When you are replacing the ram to the original state, are you putting it in the first memory bank (slot) or the second? It's important to fill them from left to right.

You can look at this:
http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-comp-hardware/re-broken-moth...-5960.html
for some informatiom about someone who put ram in and had a system crash. Apparently his CPU was fried.

Also this guy:
http://www.badcaps.net/fees/
Seems to do good work for nominal fees if you want this thing diagnosed. Since we cannot get any boot under these circumstances, the next step is of course to begin pulling things out and trying to boot. If you don't get anything I suggest contacting badcaps (link above) or the geeks @ best buy or a local small computer shop (reccomended). Best of luck.

bob ghoati Jan 13, 2007, 05:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

bob ghoati Jan 13, 2007, 06:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> My computer wont turn on at all!
i wus doin a virus scan and suddenly after a few minutes , while still in the progress of scannin, my computer's fan started spinnin relle fast and suddenly the comp shut down. :~ :( not sure wut happened, can anyone help me, i checked the power outlet and its fine, its jus my computer i think, i have a p4 3.6 ghz, 512 mb ram, 160 gb hard drive, i hope sumone can help me, and also, my computer shows normal mode, but it actually is safe mode, i know this b cuz, when ever i try to install sumthin it says that "windows could not install this program, this might be bcuz ur system is runnin in safe mode, or ur windows installer isn't installed properly" but i downloaded the new update for windows installer and it said ur windows installer has been succesfully updated, but when i try to install sumthin it shows the same error:~:~:(:( can sumone please help me???

Charlie Schliesser Jan 13, 2007, 06:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So your system crashed and then you were able to turn it back on?

You might want to post in a topic that deals with systems that startup in safe mode only. You will get better (and more) responses.

You could have had a virus that crashed your system when it was detected, but this is a pretty lame answer for me to give. I would suggest using a second computer to diagnose that hard drive, if that's possible. There are a few ways to go about it. If you'd like, email me at

charlie at csdesignco dot com

and i'll help where I can.

Sherome Douglas Jan 15, 2007, 09:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Me thinks it's a virus. all these ppl having the same problem (myself included)

Ok this is a little hard to explain but I'l give it a try. I Installed something called microsoft exhibitioner on my pc. It seemed to work fine for a while but I had to switch back to my vga monitor manually.

When I tried to do so I set it to the wrong resolution and could'nt see anything as it had somehow extended pass the visable monitor so everytime I opened a folder or window I couldn't see it... (I tried the hdtv as well same thing(when both are connected they both come on))

I tried booting it in safe mode with network support but it just froze so I restarted it but from then it does'nt show me the XP loading screen and the lcd display on the front of the pc says starting up for quite some time and since then all I get is a blank screen even though the monitor is still on.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

(it's a DMS II with an Nvidia Gfx card and XP MCE05 connected to a lcd hdtv via hdmi/dvi and lcd via vga).

Charlie Schliesser Jan 15, 2007, 10:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't believe all these people have a virus. I first got into this thread because of a bad power supply unit, which was the case with others here. Someone else had bad memory, for example.

In the previous post I think it was a virus, but in your case nothing about this at all seems to be a virus, it all sounds like bad video card drivers. Does your motherboard have an on-board video card? If so, pull out this new nvidia and plug in your monitor to the onboard. Startup in 'safe mode with networking'. Download and install the most recent nVidia drivers from their website. This will remove any previous bad drivers and hopefully update everything in the process.

If you are still unable to boot in safe mode you'll need to reset your settings. You can do this by doing a "repair install" from a WinXP cd. READ THE INSTRUCTION ON THIS PAGE:http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

otherwise you'll end up doing "repair console" and messing up your machine as well as losing data. If you have any way to backup data before doing this, please do...

Sherome Douglas Jan 15, 2007, 10:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the video card drivers might be the problem. I can't get it to start in safe mode at the moment. I'm not sure I have onboard gfx card or not. I do however have an ATI GFX card. will that work?

Charlie Schliesser Jan 15, 2007, 12:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Switch it with the current nvidia and try to boot in safe mode. You will hopefully be able to get to a working minimal interface, where you can then adjust resolutions, etc., and download new drivers.

Cheers

charlie at csdesignco dot com

Sherome Douglas Jan 15, 2007, 12:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If I can't see the screen what do I press to get to the menu so that I can enter safe mode? I'm sure it's f10 but I'm not sure? and it's option 1 isn't it.

Charlie Schliesser Jan 15, 2007, 01:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I didn't realize you weren't getting a screen during POST/BIOS... this is troublesome. Is this this the case when you switched in the ati card, or only when you have the nvidia in?

Safe mode is typically F8, but it can also be other keys... companies like Gateway or HP will have some other non-typical function like TAB or F4 or something to enter the boot menu, at which point you can then access WinXP on a partition and then subsequently safe-mode.

But this is all difficult without any monitor at all, and if you're not getting anything during startup (POST/BIOS) you're definitely not going to get anything in safe mode either.

Sherome Douglas Jan 16, 2007, 08:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 16, 2007, 09:10am EST

Charlie Schliesser said:
I didn't realize you weren't getting a screen during POST/BIOS... this is troublesome. Is this this the case when you switched in the ati card, or only when you have the nvidia in?

Safe mode is typically F8, but it can also be other keys... companies like Gateway or HP will have some other non-typical function like TAB or F4 or something to enter the boot menu, at which point you can then access WinXP on a partition and then subsequently safe-mode.

But this is all difficult without any monitor at all, and if you're not getting anything during startup (POST/BIOS) you're definitely not going to get anything in safe mode either.

Jesus christ. who told me to buy a desktop (should've stuck with a tower). I tried taking out the nvidia gfx card but it seems welded and screwed in places I can't access and the ati card is much smaller so won't fit anyway. I think the DMS II 3400 Dual is a hewlett packard brand...

Charlie Schliesser Jan 16, 2007, 09:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, don't tug and pull on the card. There will typically be one screw and then a little tab on the innermost corner to pull to get the card out. But don't do that as you've just told me the ATI won't even fit, and is obviously not the same type of card. Let's try and go back to square one because i think we're getting off topic - What was this program that you installed that caused your system to go down??

Sherome Douglas Jan 16, 2007, 11:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Charlie Schliesser said:
Yes, don't tug and pull on the card. There will typically be one screw and then a little tab on the innermost corner to pull to get the card out. But don't do that as you've just told me the ATI won't even fit, and is obviously not the same type of card. Let's try and go back to square one because i think we're getting off topic - What was this program that you installed that caused your system to go down??

the program is microsoft exhibition or exhibitioner.

Charlie Schliesser Jan 16, 2007, 12:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've never heard of this and it is not listed as a microsoft product. What exactly is it?

Kyle Joy Jan 16, 2007, 12:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello, I am just having similar problems to anyone in here yesterday in the early morning my tower which I built when completely dead it is a computer that is on pretty much all the time and it just suddenly turned off I was unsure what caused this and it would not turn back on so I left it plugged it. about ten minutes later this was a pop and bang and the power supply blew...everything was off when the power supply blew tho which was strange to me. I went out and got a new power supply and removed all parts and then put the new cpu in and then tried to power up and again i still have a dead system...it will not turn at all...I unplugged the psu quickly in fear that something is pulling the cpu down and its shorting it out. I am going to check each part individually today on another cpu in fear my mother board somehow gotsurged when the psu blew I will post with what happens I do now know how to just test my motherboard for a short somewhere or something pulling the psu down any help there would be great or any ideas at all would be awesome and dont worry all the on switches where on everything was plugged in great and the outlet worked thanks

Charlie Schliesser Jan 16, 2007, 12:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You're doing the right thing by checking it part by part.

The fact that it popped after it was "dead" - this could be a bad PSU. They still get power even after the computer is seemingly "off", as long as they are plugged into an active power outlet. So you've done the rigth thing by buying a new one. (I think when you say CPU you mean PSU - power supply unit.)

If it's not restarting with the new PSU in it, something else got blown. Thats why you need to check if the computer will startup without the video card/memory/hard drive/etc., as something else could and probably did get hurt when there was a surge. In the future make sure you're plugged into a working surge protector... not just a power strip.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.