Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1193 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 05:54am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

My computer wont turn on at all! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Kyle Joy Jan 16, 2007, 12:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: My computer wont turn on at all!
hey thing was I was plugged into a surge protector so I dont know how it blew at all the psu worked for about a year and half and now out of no where it does this I am in the midst of setting up a second cpu to check each part I will let you know what happens how can I check if the mother board blew anyone?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Charlie Schliesser Jan 16, 2007, 12:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Typically it's difficult, but also 'typically' if every comoponent works in a different system then it's the motherboard that's bad.

I had a psu go out overnight for no apparent reason when plugged into a surge protector. Sometimes they die.

You can look into this: http://www.badcaps.net/fees/

Kyle Joy Jan 16, 2007, 01:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey tested the hard drive and it is all good to go so are all my fans unable to test my video and ram however i am going to do a bench test on the motherboard and see if it turns on and if it doesnt pretty mcuh safe to say its blown? would there be anyh visual indication or is it possible that it would not be visible at all

Charlie Schliesser Jan 16, 2007, 01:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It is less likely that there will be a visual indication. It is more likely that it will appear physically normal - this is from personal experience and everything I have read and encountered, someone elses opinion may differ.

JO Mama Jan 18, 2007, 11:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
About a month ago my computer stopped working 100% but then all of a sudden it started to work again- it went from being lifeless to working- i dont know what the problem was so i took it to a guy to fix it- the guy said the motherboard was broken so i bought a new one for 300 $- he gave it back but about 2 months later- it broke again with the new mother board in it-yet it turned on one more time about a day later-about 3 days ago- i disconnected it and from that day on -it wont work-!!!i need help!!!!-does anybody know what is happening in there???-

Charlie Schliesser Jan 18, 2007, 11:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Are you saying that after it began working again you took it in for repair?

If it was fully functional I don't understand how someone could diagnose a bad motherboard with no symptoms.

This new problem sounds like a power supply, which is the general answer a lot of people get - this is because a power supply is typically the thing to go out when nothing else has changed, ex. no new hardware/ram/video card/etc. Have you installed any other hardware inside it? I suggest taking it to the person that sold you the new motherboard and explaining that there may have been a different issue with the system.

JO Mama Jan 19, 2007, 10:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The thing with this computer is that if i disconnect it- next time i try to hook it back up- it wont turn on- it will last about a day or a week until one day until it turns on once connected- yet between these day-it shows no signs of life.

sdsf safd Jan 28, 2007, 01:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a similar problem. I just bought an extra 1 gig of ram and a 250 gig sata HD. I installed the ram and the computer worked fine. The next day I decided to install the mobo. This caused my computer to boot but it wouldnt load windows because it now didnt read my IDE HD or any of my IDE drives. So I open up my PC to figure out what is wrong. During this time I see a few mobo screws came loose so I tighten them. I unplug everything and replug them back in. Now my PC wont turn on. I too everything out except the mobo and the psu to see if it would turn on but it didnt. So I added my gpu, cpu, new sata HD, and tried all 4 sticks of ram I had.

I think its the mobo or psu. Im going to buy a psu detector soon. Anything else I should try?

strontium dog Jan 28, 2007, 01:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
first check to see if all your fans are working.My pc wouldnt boot for ages,found out i had the cpu fan cable stuck around the fan,and as i had, shutdown when cpu fan fails, enabled in the bios ,so the pc would shut down instantly.

sdsf safd Jan 28, 2007, 04:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Its the PSU. I bought one of those psu checkers and I didnt get any lights. Meaning no output at all. And yes the psu checker does work cause I used it on one of my 20-pin psu's.

Anyone know of a good 24pin psu for under 100$?

Thanks!

Jon San Miguel Feb 05, 2007, 11:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, so my dad was on the computer when he said it froze. So he unplugged it...:( Anyway, we turn it back on and there is power but nothing shows up on the screen. We find Starcraft in one of the cd drives so im thinking it might have something to do with that. So we turn it off the smarter way by using surges protector instead of unplugging it, and the next day, it doesnt even turn on at all. Can someone help?

Carlos T Feb 12, 2007, 09:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, today i turned on my computer. It was working fine and all. I went to go brush my teeth, when i got back it was turned off. I tried turning it back on but that didn't work. So i thought "hmm it must be hot or something so i let it rest for about 1 hour and 30 mins. I come back and turn it on and to my surprise a spark appeared. That FREAKED me out.
Do any of you know what's wrong with my computer?

Jon McFarland Mar 05, 2007, 09:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey I'm new to this website forum so let me know if there are any particular rules I'm not following.

Anyway, I'm having trouble with a computer I just assembled and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. First off, here are the specs:
AMD Sempron 3000
MSI K9MM-V board
Transcend 1GB DDR 800 Ram
Seagate 160GB SATA HD
Lite-on IDE DVD-ROM/CDRW
450W X-Power PSU

It's a pretty basic computer as you can see. The problem I'm having is that the computer will not turn on. Actually, it will turn on with all of the fans going, CPU and PSU, for all of.. 4 or 5 seconds and then it shuts off. At first I thought it might be an issue with the HDD so I disconnected it but still had the problem. Finally, I decided to disconnect everything but memory and CPU and still recieved the same results. I even reset the CMOS jumper and left the battery off the board for a few minutes to try and clear bios/cmos. Any suggestions as to what my problem might be?

-Jon McFarland

CrAsHnBuRnXp Mar 06, 2007, 12:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jon McFarland said:
Hey I'm new to this website forum so let me know if there are any particular rules I'm not following.

Anyway, I'm having trouble with a computer I just assembled and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. First off, here are the specs:
AMD Sempron 3000
MSI K9MM-V board
Transcend 1GB DDR 800 Ram
Seagate 160GB SATA HD
Lite-on IDE DVD-ROM/CDRW
450W X-Power PSU

It's a pretty basic computer as you can see. The problem I'm having is that the computer will not turn on. Actually, it will turn on with all of the fans going, CPU and PSU, for all of.. 4 or 5 seconds and then it shuts off. At first I thought it might be an issue with the HDD so I disconnected it but still had the problem. Finally, I decided to disconnect everything but memory and CPU and still recieved the same results. I even reset the CMOS jumper and left the battery off the board for a few minutes to try and clear bios/cmos. Any suggestions as to what my problem might be?

-Jon McFarland

Try swapping out the PSU with a quality more reliable PSU and see what happens.

Kelly Short Mar 15, 2007, 09:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I have a very similiar problem except....I was playing my Sims 2 game last night, and during play, the screen went to a light blue which it has in the past, after a few seconds, it comes back to normal and I am able to continue with the game. Last night, it went to blue screen, and it came back, when it went into blue screen a second time, my monitor started to flash, and I could hear it clicking as though it were changing resolutions. I tried to ctrl alt del to try to end the process but due to the flashing, I was unable to end the task and had to manually reach down and shut off the power button on the computer. After letting the system rest a bit, I tried to turn it back on, and for an instant the light would flash but would not stay on, I took it to a computer shop here in town and said it was my power supply, but after putting the new power supply in it I am still unable to start the system. I have read your posts, and have tried taking out hardware, and have taken out each memory stick, and have tried starting it with each stick in, and nothing. I have tried a different hard drive, I have pulled the video card, and I am totally baffled. Could it be that my cpu is fried? I do get a little green light on the motherboard when I plug it in, but its as if nothing is getting to the cpu at all, I have even tried hooking up a different switch thinking perhaps my switch has gone out. Any advise you could give me at this time would be appreciated. I have a Gateway 507GR, with 1 gig of memory, it has a Pentium 4 intel processor 530 at 3.00 ghz. I had a GForce 5500 with 256 video ram in it at the time and nothing I try works...I am about to start using it as an end table at this point....I anxiously await anything you can do....

Ctt Walla Mar 16, 2007, 02:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2007, 02:19pm EDT

This morning my computer wouldn't start up when I hit the power button. My friend was having the same type of problem the day before so I opened up the case and tried to turn it on again. The only thing that happened was that all the fans twiched, the processor, the videocard and the main cooling fan. Then I came to this forum and checked it out, I just tried taking everything out one by one. The v-card, ram, cd drive, hdd. Still the same problem, the fans just twiched.
I didn't turn off my computer last night because I was DLing the C&C3 demo... any ideas of what else to try?

David Broussard Mar 19, 2007, 08:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same thing here too. About a week ago everything was working like normal. I used it on Sunday, and then on Monday when my wife went to turn the comp back on nothing happened. I opend the case and tested it again. PSU fan and CPU fan both bumped on then nothing. If i turned power on again nothing at all. If i waited a min or so fan would twich but nothing.

I unhooked all devices, reset all cards and mem, disconnected and reconnected all tower wires, swapped out vid cards and PSU, same problem.

Any other options? Should i pull out the motherboard? It sounds like there is a direct short somewhere, but I can't find it. Haven't moved the comp or put anything in it for about 6 weeks when i popped in another mem stick.

Bill Bradley Mar 20, 2007, 02:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My dad was wanting to clean his computer, so he got the idea of taking the case off and using a vacuum cleaner.

Now, the damn thing won't turn on at all. The green LED light is on near the power source, and it looks like all the wires are in the right spots, but it's still not working.
The only things that I've tried are: Taking out the RAM and putting it back in; changing outlets; Flipping the switch on my power strip.

I appreciate any help.

Oh, it's an eMachine from 2005 I believe.

Mark Allen Mar 26, 2007, 03:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a new mobo, graphics card and CPU fan after my computer went dead, it would turn on but nothing would show on the screen except the split second of BIOS but nothing else.
I fitted all the new parts myself today correctly and reffering back to instrucions to double check and now its even worse.
When i press the power button; Nothing!
its like turning it on if it wasnt plugged in, the only thing i get is a constant fast clicking sound from the PSU and a blinking LED on the LAN port on the new mobo that is consistant with the clicking PSU.
So just wondering if anyone can help me PLEASE!

Foxconn SKT939 Nforce4-SLI chipset DDR400 Dual Gigabit LAN SATAII ATX Motherboard
Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB 256bit GDDR3 Dual DVI TVO HDCP PCI-E
Maxtor DiamondMax 250GB HDD
550W PSU

Jimmy Jimbo Apr 03, 2007, 11:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 03, 2007, 11:48am EDT

I've ran into some problems as others have on this topic and have been searching a couple of weeks for a solution. Was playing a game like some others were here and comp froze, couldn't do anything. Held my power button on front of computer down until it shutdown. Computer wouldn't start up. I thought it was my power supply. Purchased another power supply, installed it and computer came buzzing to life but wouldn't POST.

After searching I found out what a computer goes through during POST and my problem was that there were zero beeps on start up and wouldn't put anything on my monitor so I could get into BIOS or what not if needed. Most computers nowadays have POST codes I've found out and I'm sure if you could state how many beeps or no beeps etc., it would help in figuring out what is wrong.

I've stripped down everything. Had the mobo out of the box and did a bench test and all the combinations described above. Taking that and figuring in my POST problems, I assume that my mobo and cpu are no longer communicating. With the way technology on processors is skyrocketing now, you can find a mobo/cpu combo that is very nice for under $200 US easily.

Hoping that I came to the right decision, I have a new mobo/cpu/vid card in route via UPS. Already have a new PSU. Once I put this together I'll come back here and post if I encountered any problems, post it, then throw my comp in the thrash and go fishing :D

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.