Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1084 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 03:20am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

My computer wont turn on at all! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Brad Rach Apr 05, 2007, 08:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 08, 2007, 09:03pm EDT

>> Re: My computer wont turn on at all!
EDIT- problem solved, now have a new problem with unit. Posted in a seperate topic because problem is unrelated to this topic.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
canaan hoffman Apr 10, 2007, 07:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok i was playing a game and then all of a sudden it froze then it came back and i played for another min or so and then it just turned off
i opened up my comp checked everything made sure no short circuts etc
i smelt around and sorta smelled as hint of burning from my PSu.
wasnt sure if it was just the smell from it being on for about 4 hours or if it was fried
so i went to frys bought a whole brand new case and power supply
moved everything to the new case and still the same problem of it turning on for half a second and then dead
the mobo lite is on and i tried unplugging my hd and still no luck
i have everything unplugg'd except the main power supply to the mobo
wen i did that the fan on the mobo moved a tad but no spin and just turned off

is it my cpu?
or wat is it cause i cant find it

canaan hoffman Apr 10, 2007, 07:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just tried my ram to c if that was the problem and wen i took it out and turned it on
the fan moved more then wen it did b4
i dont believe its the PSu cause its brand new
but this time it seemed like it got more juice that it did the first time
im letting it sit wit the mobo lite on and then im going to try again

canaan hoffman Apr 10, 2007, 07:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok i have full power now but thw wierd thing is on my old case
the power supply had 2 power plugs to the mobo
both were plugged in went i bought the bare bones case and mobo wit the PSu
it worked just fine the first time i used it so i thought it was suppose to be plugged in
i mean its been plugged in this whole time
but i just took out the power cord and it worked
im going to plug in everything peice by peice and c if everything goes well

Phillip Van Humbeck May 22, 2007, 05:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Lets see I picked this computer up off the side of the road,
let it dry out for a couple of weeks, and it wont boot up.

Motherboard is an Asus P2l97-DS dual pentium 2
processor is an intel P-II SL2HA~ 300 mhz(only had one+terminator)
had 2 bars 128MB ecc ram

It will turn on, you can hear the cpu fan and the psu's fan
cd rom drive and hd will spin up
nothing shows up on screen. I've tried 3 different video cards(1agp, 1pci, 1isa).
Still nothing shows up.I've tried taking it out of the case,putting it on a card board box.
tried a different cpu, different ram, tried the cpu in the other slot, with 2 cpu's.
replaced the battery, cant find the pins to clear cmos.

Anyone have any ideas why it won't work?
Any help would be greatly apprecitead

Angela C May 25, 2007, 02:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi! i have read most of the posts on here and i just wanted to see what you all thought about my problem, its a little different then most of the posts on here. I was playing a game last night when my computer just shut off. I noticed my keyboard light and my optical mouse light was still on, My monitor however said it wasnt connected. I turned it off by turning off my surge protector.(it wouldnt let me shut it down from the tower button).
I did have some dust in my case, which i cleaned out easily. i live in a farm house and so it gets dusty easily. But anyways, after i cleaned it out, and i plugged everything back into the surge protector, i pressed the power button and the "activity" light (i guess thats what it would be considered) flashed REALLY fast. Then my computer shut off. I pressed it again, started right back up went to desktop and everything. I got on my game about 15 minutes later same thing, it shut itself off. I dont think its my psu. But its really frustrating me. Any help would be appreciated!

Ryan Couvillion May 29, 2007, 05:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I've got to say a computer not even budging when you press the power button is incredibly frustrating.

Anyhow, the other day I was installing an old hard drive in my computer to back up some files for long term storage. The drive installed fine, backed up, then I removed it. At this point the computer decided not to turn back on. I let it sit there for a few minutes and then it started up normally. Turned it off again and now it will not boot at all. Might as well be a paperweight.

When the PSU is plugged into the MB and the PSU switch is flipped, a green light lights up on the MB. I've removed every single card, peripheral, etc from the board and reseated them. This caused the computer to start for a split second the first time i pressed the power button, then start normally the 2nd time I pressed it. That 2 button push worked about 3 times, but has now stopped working as well.

I also tried the bench test. Currently it's sitting with the CPU/fan, RAM, and video card plugged in. When I try to turn it on, still nothing. Could this possibly be a BIOS problem? Or do you guys think it's something else?

john taylor Jun 07, 2007, 11:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>>  My computer wont turn on at all either !
ok, so heres the deal, i was gaming, and i paused cos i had to go get some food, when i came back my pc was off and there was nothing happening when i tried to turn it on. so far i know its not the psu cos the LED behind my on button is lighting up whenever i plug it in, but not when i push the button. i would check all the suggestions above, but unfortunately i dont have any idea which bit is which, or how to check my hardrive, i have access to a spare parts but would rather not use them as i dont think they are compatible with any of my games, and i have a 260 gig HD thats nearly full, and my spare is only 40 gig. please help me, i shall be eternally grateful

Shannon St. Clair Jun 16, 2007, 07:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 28, 2007, 06:03am EDT

Solved my problem by buying a new power supply.

Joe Stewart Jun 25, 2007, 12:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got a new 320gb hard drive and a new dvd rw for my pc. So i plugged them in and installed windows 2000 because we've got a upgrade windows xp so im trying to do the networking and all of a sudden i see 2 sparks with 2 loud bangs and now it wont turn on. Ive tried replacing the power supply but im not sure what else it could be. Does anyone know?

john taylor Jun 27, 2007, 03:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
yeh, cant figure out how to edit my last statement, so ill post a new one. i finally gav in and took my pc to a shop. turns out, the cpu and mobo had both totally burned out cos of excess dust, luckily, its replaceable under warranty, but ive learned my lesson: dust thoroughly and often!

wescomp f Jul 05, 2007, 04:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
do you have any ideas of what would be wrong with my computer. ok.

i have a GA-7N400 PRO2 motherboard. and all the cords are connected, i think.

but when i press the power button on the comp.

the fan will move about a centimeter, then stop no sounds no nothing, there is a orangish light on inside the pc though, and the green light in the front is on still. what could it be?

plz help
thanks

stacey sirois Sep 05, 2007, 07:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 05, 2007, 07:04pm EDT

Where do i check for fuses??? I turned my computer off while i went away for the weekend. .All i did was turn off the surge protector as everything is plugged into there.I came home and turned it back on and everything works except for my tower(printer,monitor,etc) my modem is showing no usb connected but it is all connected.:~PLEASE HELP!!!!!>:o

Kevin A Sep 17, 2007, 07:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 17, 2007, 07:49pm EDT

Hi..im having some problems gettin my comp to start up... Yesterday i cane hone and went to turn on my comp and nothin happend. So i opend the case up and took a look around, i cleaned out all the dust i could, anb everything looked plugged in fine. I changed where i had the power cord plugged in and it turned on. Didnt think anyhting of it. Today I came home and agin my comp wont start up or anything, no light so sounds nothing. but i discovered something while fiddling around with stuff today. i Unplugged the power supply from all the shuips HD etc cleaned em all out to make sure they werent dusty etc. plugged em all back in.. When i pressed the power button, the fans moved for an instant then stopped. Still no sounds or anyhting jsut movement of the fans. So i thought there must be a problem with somne of the wires etc , so i tried different wiring combinations. Now on my MOBO there are 2 power supply slots. the big 20 wire one, and a smaller 4 wire one. the wires are yellow and black. Now when i have everything else BUT this 4 wire plug in, the fans and the computer sounds like they turn on fine., but my comp doesnt boot. In my MOBO manual it says that the 4 wire slot is the " PWR2" = a 12v connector for the CPU vcore power." Now does this sound like i jsut need a new power supply or is something wrong with my cpu..? PLZ help....

sam wilson Sep 20, 2007, 09:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> my comp is completely dead
ok im working on this computer for my friend, and supposedly he just couldnt get it to boot correctly or something of that sort, and so his dad, who knew nothing about elsectronics or computers at all tried to fix it... well he failed and as a last resort gave it to me to try and fix
the first thing i did is attempt to plug it in and see what was wrong, well i hit the power key and nothing.. no lights, fans, or sounds of any sort at all. so i pulled the motherboard and performed the bench test... nothing but psu, motherboard, ram, and cpu/fan
still nothing
anybody know what it could be or anything i could try???
ive already tried a spare psu with same results

kyle warner Oct 13, 2007, 07:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok i'll try to explain my problem as simple as i can. It is a built computer and everything was going fine until the front audio and headphone panel wasn't working , no big deal. I took my computer to my mates to play games, all was fine. Once i took it home i started to plug in the power to the PSU and i could hear faintly a static noise just before i plug it in.
The Green LED on the front is on, so i took out Mobo of being the problem. Could it be the PSU? Even though the light only comes on when the Power has been pluged in? I also reseated the RAM, VGA, and took out all cables and placed them back in? Any ideas

Thnx in advance

Osei Kwabena Bonsu Nov 27, 2007, 04:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I installed a new dvd rewriter and cd rom drives yesterday and all i did was replace the old with the new. After completing the installation, the pc won't start up when the power button is clicked. The power cable is connected to the motherboard. What do I do?

ruth kwa Feb 17, 2008, 04:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'll turn on the computer but nothing happens. the fan moves, I don't think its the hard drive cause i put in a new one but it still doesn't work....Its not the power either. I was playing a game on the computer when it crashed. ever since it just moves the fan when i turn it on, no beeps nother. Got any solutions?

Jesse Spencer Feb 24, 2008, 03:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok my computer is absolutely dead. It was working dandy then i packed it up and took it to a friends house. I go to turn it on and nothing. I check the outlet, its fine, i make sure the little red voltage switch is right and it is. The power switch is set yo 1 so thats ok. Since it wasnt any of the easy things i opened up my case. Since i moved my comp I figured i'd try to reset all my parts. I unplugged my G-Card and RAM, plugged those back in to make sure they werent loose. Still didn't work. I tried the power button cables that are plugged into the mobo and they were fine but just to be sure i tried connecting the pins through a screwdriver and that didnt work. At this point i just have the comp plugged into a wall and i try one more time and it turns on. I unplug it and move it and it stopped working again. I take it back out but notice one difference. This time the lights on my mobo are on when they werent before. I plug the comp back into the wall and i hit the power button, my RAM lights up (I have LED's on my RAM) and only my RAM no fans or anything, just the RAM seems to get power. Then the lights start to fade out. After fiddling with it a while i lost even that. I checked the mother board to see if it was touching the case and i didnt see anything. Is it a PSU problem? Help!

john albrich Mar 10, 2008, 10:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 10, 2008, 10:08am EDT

Jesse Spencer said:
...After fiddling with it a while i lost even that. I checked the mother board to see if it was touching the case and i didnt see anything. Is it a PSU problem? Help!

Jesse, be certain that when you are checking connections, 'fiddling' with cards, etc. that the computer is NOT plugged into the AC mains.

Even with the computer power switch turned off, modern PCs still provide a small amount of power to the electronics. 'Fiddling' with them while that is still connected can cause permanent damage to components. That will complicate your debugging of the problem as you can cause more damage.

As for debugging the problem,
Get back to the basics. The first thing you want to do is make sure you can at least get the computer running in the minimum configuration.

With the AC mains power disconnected and PSU power "bled-off" (e.g. wait a few minutes after pulling the AC power plug)...

Also, follow appropriate ESD parts handling and parts storage procedures.

Remove/disconnect all hardware (including keyboard and mouse) that is not required to get the system operational. In general, that leaves you with the PSU, mobo, ONE memory stick, a display, and if needed, a video adapter. If you have integrated video and a video card, remove the video card and use only the integrated video for now.

Re-seat the device connectors, including power connectors.

Until you can get this minimum configuration to the point where it at least displays a POST screen, you can't proceed. If you can't get this minimum configuration to work, then something is drastically wrong with at least one of these parts, cables, connectors, etc. There could even be a short-circuit between the motherboard and the case (which sometimes occurs when you move a computer). Or, the CPU might have become mis-aligned from its connector (this is more likely to happen when you have a heavy/large CPU heat-sink/fan assembly.

If you can't get it to work in the case, you may even want to move everything out of the case and test it on a work-bench (with an ESD mat*). This will ensure nothing is shorting-out to the case.

*An ESD mat is used to help reduce the chance of Electro-Static Discharge damage to the electronics. It is used in conjunction with proper clothing and an ESD wrist-band when touching the parts.

edit-add comments about the CPU/heatsink/fan assembly.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.