Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 936 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 01 - 09:49pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Brandon Miller Mar 01, 2003, 04:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I appriciate the help your givin.

Here the situration as of now, I can now get into bios and what not, figured that out, the current problem is the harddrive. Whenever I boot up the comp, the hd makes a clicking noise, then 50% of the time it kicks in and starts working (then the screen flashs with all the info). It >can't< seem to detect the harddrive. I'm almost 100% positive I have the jumper set correctly, but what worries me is that the harddrive has this horrible clicking noise WHENEVER it is running. I'm thinking I should just get a new harddrive, cause I dont believe clickity clacks are typical HD noises.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brandon Miller Mar 01, 2003, 05:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
And to add on to above, occasionally it WILL find the harddrive as the primary, then next time it wont. Obviously I should send this harddrive back correct?

craig stein Mar 01, 2003, 05:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
oooh yikes,
been there done that, yah your harddrive is most likely pooched. I would recommend you go to the harddrive manufacturers website and look for diagnostic software and run the tests on the drive. Maxtor for instance has Powermax software and you need to get the error codes off of the drive to do an RMA. I had to do this with my Quantum drive (who maxtor now owns) and they had me a brand spanking new drive in like 2-3 business days.

Richard Taylor Mar 03, 2003, 09:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've seen a few mentions of problems installing Windows (in this case XP) and recieving the fatal Blue screen error during the 1st stage of the install.

Is there any concensus on what's causing this problem?

Thank in advance,

Richard

B P Mar 04, 2003, 10:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just thought I would post a reply to those who have had their computers powering down after a few seconds. Try putting thermal grease on your heatsink. I had the same prob and it was actually the processor thinking it was overheating. A little thermal grease fixed all those problems. Hope this helps.

ashley Fulks Mar 05, 2003, 10:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM!

I know about the wrong diagram in the book.
I sold like 10 of these mobos with everything from 850 duron to XP 2000+.
I tried all kinds of RAM and micron works good.
But this BEEP beep BEEP beep sound at boot baffled me!

First i had problem with CPU heatsink being not good enough. A duron heatsink on a thoroughbred cpu does not cut it. As soon as i replaced the heatsink and reset the BIOS it just beeped at me like bad RAM. I tried tuns of different RAM and that is not the problem! I know the jumper problem (too, they were set right)

I put in my Duron 850 and it posted!

IT WAS THE CPU! A7N266-VM will only run polamino CPUs, they were not designed for thoroughbred 1800+ chips! I tried BIOS ver 1004/AA, 1005 and 1005.006 and none of them allowed me to boot using a AMD 1800+ thoroughbred chip.

So if you get one of these new chips, take it back to the store and as for a Polamino chip for trade and your problem will be solved.

Milt Mar 05, 2003, 11:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Palomino vs. Thoroughbred
ashley Fulks,
I suspect you've got an odd t-bred there because my 1700+ T-bred 'B' works fine at any speed from 'stock' up to 10x 177FSB on my VM.

A friend in England has a 2100+ 'B' running at 13x 169FSB on his VM, so I don't think it's a problem with the 'B' type of processor.

Jason Yue Mar 05, 2003, 11:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a XP 2100+ with 1 stick of Crucial 512MB RAM. I recently changed the heatsink and fan that came w/ the AMD processor I bought, to a Thermalright AX-7 Heatsink and a Panasonic Panaflo fan. I used Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Paste on the dye. I removed my stick of Crucial RAM so I could get access to the processor. After putting on the new fan/heatsink and re-inserting my RAM, I powered on my system and I get a beeping sound (continous long intervals). Nothing is outputted to the screen. I lost my ASUS manual but my quick question relates to 1. What does the beeping noise mean? (I know its something the MB doesn't like, but any particular things I should look for?) 2. I am concerned that possibly I might have damaged something in the process? I hope that is not the case. Any other troubleshooting methods I should try? This is my first time building a box and I'd appreciate all the hellp I can get. Thanks!

Jason

craig stein Mar 05, 2003, 11:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my manual says that continuous long beeps is no DRAM installed or detected. I would recommend checking to see if your RAM is seated properly and also I would recommend trying the RAM in the other slot.

give it a try and let us know

Jason Yue Mar 07, 2003, 11:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Craig, I put the RAM into another slot and everything seemed to work. I know this isn't a forum regarding heat temperatures, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows about what temp. readings I should be seeing on my CPU. I'm guessing the temp. reading from the Motherboard is quite accurate? I am getting CPU temps of about 50-55C. What's the average? I'd like to find out so I can try to remedy any damage that may have already been done. If these temp readings are high, any solutions would be helpful. Thanks.

Jason

craig stein Mar 07, 2003, 12:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
glad i could be of help

that is a little hot for a CPU. But I think AMD says that damage is done to the processor over 90 C so yours should be alright.

My old Duron 700 used to run from 45-50 C. But my t-bird 1GHz with arctic silver 3 thermal paste and a Thermaltake Volcano 7 hsf runs between 37-39 C and when running an intense game like Unreal 2 can reach temps of 41 C.

also for cooling I have an 80mm case fan to pull air in from the front so that probably helps a bit.

i'm not too sure how accurate the board is but the most accurate temp reading you will find is in the BIOS

David Felton Mar 07, 2003, 07:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have purchased this board, and have had 2 friends purchase it as well. All three of us are experiencing reboots during 3-D games. I have made sure that the Nvidia nForce AGP Host to PCI bridge is installed correctly. I have downloaded the bundled nVidia drivers from their website, and have installed/upgraded to them as well. After the install of these drivers the system is more stable, it reboots after about 30 minutes into the games rather than after 10-15. When not playing 3-D games the board is rock solid. I will return the board to my reseller if I can not resolve the reboots during 3-D games. Does anyone have any ideas?

Milt Mar 07, 2003, 07:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sounds like a heat problem to me...

What are your temps for the CPU and System after, say, 20 - 25 minutes of game playing?

If the CPU temp is anything over 55 C, then you likely need a better HS/F, and/or better thermal paste.

Alex Stephens Mar 07, 2003, 11:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am only getting mono audio out of my line out jack. I can't get stereo sound no matter what I do. Has anyone had this problem with this board. I have all the new drivers and have messed all around with my BIOS and the manual doesn't mention anything about jumpers. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Milt Mar 08, 2003, 12:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There are NO jumpers for sound, and nothing in BIOS for mono/stereo sound.

If you have downloaded the correct drivers, (I'm still using the 2883's), and installed them properly, (Win98 is a bitch!) you should have 6-channel sound, not mono.

Try a different line-out cable or speaker set.

Gareth Warren Mar 08, 2003, 04:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Milt,

Are the 2883 drivers you mention the ones that come with the board or are they special drivers?

Thanks for your input

Anyone had any problems with sound cutting out while playing a game?, I have experienced this problem while playing half-life (counter-strike).

Milt Mar 08, 2003, 03:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Unified Driver Package
@ Gareth Warren,
No, get the Unified Drivers for your particular OS from this page...

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/content/drivers/drivers.asp

David Felton Mar 08, 2003, 10:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have found that the temperature of the processor is fine. I added a PCI sound card and disabled the onboard sound in BIOS, booted into safe mode and removed all the drivers, then installed the sound drivers for the new card. I have been playing 3-D games on the computer with no reboots for about 7 hours. I walked one of the other users who had the same board, he has been able to play Warcraft III without any problems (reboots) as well. I am using a cheap Crystal sound card, he is using a Soundblaster 16.

Seems strange but the addition of the sound card appears to stabilize this board in 3-D games.

Bruce Foster Mar 09, 2003, 02:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@Milt, Thanxs.
I'll keep this short. I bought a Duron 1200 and an ECS K7SEM for a fun throw together...NOT. The thing never ran more than 3 hours without locking up. Impulse buyer, guilty. So I saw this ASUS A7N266-VM/AA and said okay go check it out on the WEB, get some good advice and really don't make the same mistake again. Okay so apparently I don't listen to myself, I bought it brought it home then looked on the WEB found this site read and got worried so I stopped reading threw it together and came back to take your advice each time it blew. It's now running fine THANK YOU!

Chuck Eads Mar 09, 2003, 07:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Milt, I am trying to help my brother-in-law sort out some issues with this new mother board. It's an A7N266 VM/AA. This is the first time either of us have tried anything like this. After solving many problems with the installation, some of which, we have no idea how we fixed them, we are still having some troubles installing the drivers. When we try to do the manual install of the CD that came with the board, it looks like everything is going good, we hit Next, Next, and then it says we must insert the Windows 98se disk. Well, of course, it then says it can't find the specified drivers on the disk. I don't know what we are doing wrong. I have downloaded the Unified Driver Package. Will this give us the correct video, audio and lan drivers? Also, when booting, we are getting a message to "Hit F1 to continue, Del to enter setup". Any ideas what is causing this?

Sorry if I duplicated this, this is my first post to this board.

Thanks,
Chuck

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.