Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 940 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 04:28am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Milt Mar 10, 2003, 12:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Chuck, the next time you see the message to "Hit F1 to continue, Del to enter setup", hit DEL and go into the CMOS Setup just to have a look around.
You don't necessarily need to change anything, but when you "Save and Exit" that SHOULD be the last time you see that message.
Unless your CMOS battery is dead, and even then...

Re: the Win98se problem.
I think you probably realise that Win98 isn't really all that bright, and sometimes asks for a driver that it THINKS is on the Win98 set-up disk, but in fact is in with the drivers that you are trying to load.

With Win98 you really need to analyze what the driver name is that Windows wants, and then you try to figure out where it might be, and point Windows at that area.
Once you get close, Win98 will help by dropping the *.INF file from the upper left box into the lower left box, and then you pretty well know you've got the right one. But it's still not 100%

WinXP is SSOOOO much easier to load on this mobo you won't believe it, if you have the chance to try it

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Milt Mar 10, 2003, 12:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Bruce Foster & the K7SEM
Hey, thanks for the kudos! I'm just happy when I am able to help.

The K7SEM / Duron1200 combo that I've had for about 14 ~ 15 months is just rock solid boring.
Never does anything to get excited about, but it never lets me down either.

About the only thing I can think of that I've done to it that MAY make it more reliable than yours is the 'chipset mod', which is relatively easy, dirt cheap, and hard to screw up.

Read this thread... it's refering to the K7S5A but the same rules apply..
http://pub65.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm5.showMessag...=261.topic

Chuck Eads Mar 10, 2003, 07:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Milt, sorry to be a nuisance, but will the Unified Driver Package give us the correct video, audio and lan drivers?

Thanks,
Chuck

Gareth Warren Mar 10, 2003, 08:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I tried the unified package previously on windows 98se, I have the file nforce_udp_winme_2.00 and when I installed the package, it fully decompressed, then before it could progress beyond 1% there was an unexprected error and it crashed out.

Now when I try to access the geforce properties in the display panel, I receive the error relating to C:\windows\system\desk.cpl and the whole display panel closes.

Also when watching streaming media, especially using windows media player the whole machine locks up requiring a reboot.

I though I would post this in case anyone else has similar problems, I now propose to install the drviers available in this package manually, if anyone knows why the install program crashed, I would be interested to hear their thoughts, thankyou in advance for you help.

Chuck Eads Mar 10, 2003, 10:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, it's me again. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if we decide to install the Unified Driver Package, what exactly are the drivers that are included?

Thanks for all the help.
Chuck

mark wallace Mar 10, 2003, 11:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gareth Warren:

Sounds similar to the problem that I was experiencing. My machine would REBOOT itself when running 3D games, etc..

#1 Make sure you are not in "PCI" mode. If the correct chipset drivers are not installed, under system devices then your video will be problematic.

I needed to go DEEP to discover the PCI mode problem, and install each driver one at a time. It is a little tricky because these items are NOT tagged with the yellow warning tag. It looks as is NOTHING is wrong. Your system acts fine until you PUSH your AGP card to do somthing right? Then cablammo, chugging, lockup, and in my case spontaneous reboot.

I have also noticed that EVERY CPU listed here has different problems with the same board. ???? I have a 1700XP

Gareth Warren Mar 10, 2003, 11:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Could you be more specific as to how to be NOT in Pci mode please?

As I said, I plan to manually install the drivers, I haven't had a chance yet, sounds like fun though eh ; )

mark wallace Mar 10, 2003, 11:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
PCI MODE:

I am not sure but I think it was in system devices.

The nvidia nforce pci to agp bridge is critical. When the wrong driver is installed it may indicate it is working in PCI mode.

http://www.sfcatering.com/images/Snap1.jpg

here is what mine looks like

Bruce Foster Mar 10, 2003, 05:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@Milt, Once again that would be the problem with the K7SEM, I'm shopping for a new case the one I have is too small, so I'll fix up the K7SEM and have another toy. Thanx again. I'm in Ottawa too, well Kanata, okay Glen Cairn wrong side of the tracks.

To the WIN98SE guy installing the drivers, remember M$ Windows is predatory. Try going to device manager and removing each driver you are going to replace, just ignore the restart request until they're all gone then restart. Look in your C: drive to see if the Drivers are already copied to a nvidia folder they should be even if it errors out on install. When you reboot point it to those drivers if it asks for the 98 disk say okay then go to the location box and point to the nvidia folder. You can use the scroll arrows after it picks up the directory once.

Chuck Eads Mar 10, 2003, 05:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can somebody please tell me what drivers are included in the Unified Driver Package.

Thanks,
Chuck

Bruce Foster Mar 10, 2003, 06:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@Chuck from the readme.
This nForce Win9x/ME driver package contains the below components:

Audio driver 3.06 (WHQL'd)
Audio utilities 3.07
Network driver 2.84 (WHQL'd)
GART driver 2.78 (WHQL'd)
SMBus driver 2.78 (WHQL'd)
Memory controller driver 2.78 (WHQL'd)
Display Drivers 40.72 (WHQL'd)
Installer 3.08

Milt Mar 10, 2003, 07:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Bruce... 300 Watt PSU/ATX case... $35
Bruce, if you're looking for a case/PSU for your K7SEM, this is hard to beat.
Top of page, left hand side. $34.99CAD
They have a store in Kanata, too.

http://216.221.48.34/index.asp?CartId={9D7E9F1E-718A-4A79-A652-7A4870203BA5}

Chuck Eads Mar 10, 2003, 09:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bruce Foster, thank you very much.

Chuck

Leon 1 Mar 13, 2003, 03:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
PLEASE GOD!! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!! ASUS A7N266-VM

This Piece of &%$#@ Motherboard has been nothing but problems for me I have just brought a Gainward Geforce 4 TI 4800 SE Golden Sample 128mb Video card (4400 with 8x) and it was going great for about three days until I downloaded the win2kxp107c.zip V1.07c drivers (From the ASUS Site) for my motherboard then when the setup asked me to restart and when the computer did restart my screen just went blank my Geforce 4 TI 4800 SE just stoped working the fan still went but there was NO picture at all the computer continued to boot normally aswell (I have tried Reformatting reinstalling drivers and still nothing works it is like the video card is dead but when I try it in a freinds computer it works fine!!!) so I took the card back and the computer place swaped it for another card EXACTLY the same and it worked fine! untill last nite when I downloaed the Coolbits registery clock frequency ajuster (witch i have downloade 2 times before for the same card and it worked fine) I restared after setup had finished and BOOM no picture and another seemingly DEAD card!!! WHAT THE F**** IS GOING ON!!

(even though the AGP car is dead the onboard still works!)

Is the 4800 Se 8X too new for this motherboard or what!
Should I try an older card like a 4600??
Should I risk trying a ti 4600 (4x) or 4400 (4x)?? Please I Need HELP!!!

ASUS A7N266-VM (1005 Bios) Windows XP PRO
AMD Athlon 2100+XP Model 8 Thoroghbred
512mb DDR 2100 RAM (Legend)
ENERMAX 350watt PSU

Milt Mar 13, 2003, 04:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> PLEASE GOD!! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
Leon, why don't you try it in reverse... the card obviously works by itself, so try downloading and installing all the garbage you want first, using the on-board.

THEN, and ONLY then, put the card in the machine.

WinXP will install WHLQ drivers that will WORK, and if you subsequently fu*k it up by trying to install some newer drivers, you can always use the 'roll-back' feature of WinXP.

The card works, and the board works. Guess what's screwing up???

Leon 1 Mar 13, 2003, 04:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ya true but even if I wipe my HDD it still does not work !!

so im stumped!

Milt Mar 13, 2003, 04:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Leon, in your first post you said "I have just brought a Gainward Geforce 4 TI 4800 SE Golden Sample 128mb Video card (4400 with 8x) and it was going great for about three days until I downloaded the win2kxp107c.zip V1.07c drivers"

What does this tell you? Or did I miss something here?

If you did a true "format c:" and reinstalled WinXP, and it still doesn't work, take the whole tower back to the reseller and explain the problem to him.
He wants your business... (translation: future money in his pocket)

a b Mar 13, 2003, 07:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> ASUS A7N266-VM and WinXP PRO
Hi everybody,

I have the A7N266-VM board with WinXP PRO-Athlon xp2200-DDR 2700
My problem is: the pc reboot automaticaly before windows is loading totaly.
I changed the CPU, the DDR...and always the same thing...

Any solutions ?

Thanks

craig stein Mar 13, 2003, 11:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
how are your CPU temps, because of its built-in CPU overheating protection I have heard that the board will shutdown/reboot spontaneously.

also when u installed the mobo did u do a clean windows install?

some food for thought

a b Mar 13, 2003, 12:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Craig,

My temp is about 90
I did not clean Win because i have no access now with this mob !!!!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.