Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1058 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 25 - 07:11pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
John Sanderson May 03, 2003, 07:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Heya guys.

Sorry to bring back the subject again but the A7N266-VM (lan) is giving me trouble again.

Me and my brother have built a new PC:

Athlon XP 2200+
512Mb PC2100 DDR RAM (one stick)
40Gb Seagate HDD
32Mb Hercules Prophet II MX
300 Watt case
and the board.

It works fine, games run brilliantly, its fast and smooth and all in all is a great board. Problem is, while its running games it'll restart itself for no reason. We first thought it might be a heat issue so we installed a mobo and chassis fan as well as the CPU fan but it still restarts. It cant be temp. probs now because the board and CPU are both running at 33-35 degrees. What do you reckon it could be?

(PS: We're running Win98 SE)

Thanks a lot for any help.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Hans Roht May 03, 2003, 06:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try installing Windows XP Professional with SP1 and the nVIDIA UDP Drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com

Greetings.

Michael Jobe May 03, 2003, 10:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have one of these WONDERFUL (read NIGHTMARE) boards and thought I would let you know what it took to get it up and useable.
1) Return the first one as it would not post.
2) Try everything but stomp on it.
3) Buy a new power supply and try that, just to see it still hates me.
4) Get it to run (sort of, if you don't mind random restarts, 30 sec. to only when you were really trying to do something important).
5) Seriously consider the stomping part.
6) There is life, reformat HD to see if it will get past post, several times and ways, it still hates me.
7) TADA, still no onboard sound(?) but everthing else works GREAT.

Ended up it would not work with my old Duron 800 (out of Compaq) or the Athlon 1400 (out of a HP) that I was going to use. Had to use an Athlon XP 1700, seems it only likes XP processors.

Asus A7N266-VM, Athlon XP1700, Corsair PC2100 512mb x2, Seagate 40gig HD, ON CABLE SELECT with the cable supplied, USB mouse (Compaq/Logitec), Standard Keyboard (Compaq), 19in. Monitor (Compaq), and JBL monitor mount speakers (Compaq), but works with a PCI Nvidia(?) audio card.

Bertil Ohlsson May 04, 2003, 10:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all

After installning all the drivers I noticed an entry in the network properties

Nvidia nForce MCP networking adapter

I know that MCP stands for media & communication processor and I have tried to find information abt this on Nvidia homesite without any success. As far as i can figur out this "adapter" supports among other things fast ethernet devices.

As I'm only going to use an internal Motorola's SM56 modems V.90 on this computer and I can't see that I'm getting any better download speed I'm wondering if I can delete the adapter as I sometimes get the "blue screen" and trying to solve this?

Thanks for your attention to this matter

Beeo

loz bain May 06, 2003, 09:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey ppl, can I just say thank god this thread is still alive after what, 8 months?

Well I believe my problem is somewhat different. My ex gf asked me to build her a pc on a budget and after coming across this mobo it clearly became my first choice (although I hadn't read any reviews or visited any forums about this board - yeah i know my bad). Anyway, below is the rig

same mobo
amd 1700+
300watt psu
sony dvd
40gig maxtor hdd
am using the onboard sound + vid + network
some 15" flatscreen monitor
Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 CAS2.5

Anyway, after booting up it detects the CPU speed and memory but it doesn't detect the dvd or hdd. I've tried multiple combinations and currently have them both running as master, dvd in ide 1 and hdd in ide 2 but still no luck. The dvd won't even open, it's as if power just isn't going to it, but it goes everywhere else...

does anyone have any thoughts? I'm about to put her dvd drive in my comp to see if it works here... If it does then i'm stuck :(

re
loz

Milt May 06, 2003, 04:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> IDE Config
The HD should be jumpered as Master, and on the END of an 80 wire Primary IDE cable, blue end at the mobo.

The DVD also as master and the END of the Secondary IDE cable (40 wire cable is fine for this)

loz bain May 06, 2003, 05:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've tried all that, I don't think i've had got as far as installing the cpu with heatsink over and it and with the ram, without knowing how to install a harddrive and dvd drive :).

We've deduced it to that the motherboard is indeed just faulty :/

Milt May 06, 2003, 07:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> IDE Config
loz bain

In CMOS Setup, first page, how do you have the 4 IDE devices set???

Default is 'Auto' and that SHOULD be all you need.

If it's not, you have the option to manually set the parameters for each of the 4 devices.

Since you said in an above post
currently have them both running as master, dvd in ide 1 and hdd in ide 2 but still no luck.

I assumed you were able to boot to your HD's OS, even though you had it on the (WRONG) Secondary cable.

Was I wrong in that assumption?

Matt Schmidt May 07, 2003, 02:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Fellas,

I read this whole msg board before I bought my board. Thought it'd be in my best interests. I was right. Got my board + XP2000 + 512MB DDR 2700 RAM last night. Jumpers were correct (133:133). After some tweaking and twiddling, I've gotten everything to work to a degree. Now the problem:

I do not use Windows. I use Linux. I slapped in my Knoppix live CD, which booted fine. Once I was in my GUI and clicked on anything, the computer automatically shutdown. I thought it may be a Knoppix problem. Tried older versions of Knoppix--same problem. Tried to boot into my Linux install on the hard drive and was somewhat successful for a brief period. I was not able to boot into a GUI because the HD is from my old machine and my install is therefore not correctly configured. However, the machine still automatically shut down after maybe 10 minutes of use. And while it was up, everything was buggy. I couldn't check running processes, some commands would not work. It was bizarre.

I'm going to properly debug the bugger tonight, but I was wondering if anyone on this board has had any luck with Linux + this MoBo? My initial assumption is that the board is good and that I should:
a.) reseat the processor
b.) check the RAM
c.) try a different PSU

I'll be back tomorrow to let you know how it went. If there's any ideas/suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Matty-X

Lloyd Thomas May 08, 2003, 01:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have an athlon xp 1800+ which is supposed to run at 1.53ghz. i used 133:133 (default) and it is only 1.15ghz. but if i change the jumpers to 100:100 i get 1.53ghz but the pc resets mainly when i try to play a game. anybody know what up with it?

Matt Schmidt May 08, 2003, 02:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK all, I did the following last night:

1. reseated the cpu
2. reseated the RAM
3. tried a different PSU
4. stripped it down to barebones
5. installed (gasp) Windows 2K

WIN2K installed fine. Drivers installed fine. I've got sound & video & lan.

But, I'm experiencing the same problems with random reboots at various intervals of approx. 20 minutes that other users have experienced.

I doubt it is heat related because I have my case very amply ventilated.

My last tests will be:

1. make sure I'm not in PCI mode in the Device Mangler
2. check for shorts with the case

If all of this fails, it's time to RMA the MOBO. When I finish all this stuff, I'll throw up a troubleshooting PDF for this MOBO for y'all.

Respect!

Matty-X

Milt May 08, 2003, 04:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Matty-X

Yeah, breadboard it... several people have reported problems with intermittent (and continuous) case shorts.

Hans Roht May 08, 2003, 05:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Matty-X:

Do this, boot your PC under Win2000 and install a game, try a hard one (I mean, one that uses a lot of CPU, for ex: Max Payne or C&C Generals)
If your computer shuts down after 3 or 5 minutes while you play, it's a temperature problem, your CPU is overheated.
Also, install ASUS Probe from the motherboard CD and watch the temperature, it must not reache more than 65 degrees.

If the problema is not related to the temp, try flashing the BIOS to the 1005 version.
Try changing your CPU, be VERY CAREFULL with the BSEL01 and BSEL02 because you can burn a Duron processor if you missmake the settings.

If the problem is not solved... I just don't know... :P
I have an A7N266-VM Rev 1.03 flashed with 1005 BIOS, Athlon XP 2000+, 256MB PC2100, 235W PSU, WDC 40GB and a Samsung DVD 12x

Contact me if you want,
Hans.
hans@roht.com.ar

Milt May 08, 2003, 11:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Hans
Hans

I see that your set-up is almost the same as mine, and your getting away with a supposedly 'unapproved by AMD' 235 Watt PSU.

Your setup:A7N266-VM Rev 1.03 flashed with 1005 BIOS, Athlon XP 2000+, 256MB PC2100, 235W PSU, WDC 40GB and a Samsung DVD 12x

My setup : A7N266-VM Rev 1.03 flashed with 1005 BIOS, Athlon XP 2000+, 256MB PC2700, 145W PSU, WDC 20GB and a LG CDRW/DVD

Here's a screenshot of mine AFTER the 'solder mod'... you should try it.
It only involves adding a 3-pin jumper block right above the existing 2 3-pin blocks

[IMG]http://216.38.13.28/1700XPat2267at1.66vCoreSandra8520.JPG[/IMG]

Hugh L May 09, 2003, 12:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've just finished my A7N266-VM/AA setup. Everything went smoothly. Here the basic info

A7N266-VM/AA Bios 1.04
Crucial DDR 256MB L 2.5
Liteon CDRW
Win XP Pro SP1

However, when I opened Windows Task Manager, System Properties and Asus PC Probe, the total physical memory only read 228 MB. But the Bios reads 256MB. CPU and memory are clocked 133:133. Yes the BSEL 0 and BSEL 1 jumpers are both set on 2-3. Can anyone help me with the physical memory problem? Thanks.

Milt May 09, 2003, 12:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Hugh L
Are you sure you don't mean 224 NOT 228???

If you have 32 meg assigned to the on-board video, as I do, then my 32 + 224 = 256 meg

Check your #'s again... I think you'll find it's 224

You can change the quantity assigned in CMOS to 8> 16> or 32 meg

Hugh L May 09, 2003, 02:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, the system reads 224 and my video memory is 32. I planned to call tech support 2morrow but now don't need to. Thanks Milt.

Milt May 09, 2003, 03:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Hugh L
You're welcome.

Glad to be of assistance.

loz bain May 09, 2003, 04:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Milt

Sorry for not being able to reply lately. Anyway, I've tried all combinations of configuring the IDE connectors. I've even gone as low as removing the DVD and the floppy and just having the HDD connected to IDE Channel 1 with/without the jumper in. It literally is not registering the HDD at all. What confuses me, is the PSU seems to be powering up the Motherboard, but it won't power up the DVD player or HDD. That leads me to assume it could be a PSU fault, but then how comes the mobo powers up and I can boot the PC?

I'm slowly running out of ideas and am now just in belief that my mobo is faulty and the IDE connectors have some sort of error.

Greg Irwin May 09, 2003, 11:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Has anyone been able to get the Soundblaster Audigy to work on this motherboard? I can't get it tto work I have tried everything and still nothing. It tells me it does not see the card in the computer I have moved it around to all the slots and nothing. It sees the card but not as an audigy card? Anyine know how to fix the problem if you can at all?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.