Please register or login. There are 1 registered and 1128 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 01 - 02:17pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Lloyd Thomas May 14, 2003, 11:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Yeah thats the temp I get on 100:100 on 133:133 I get up to 57c - 62c (This is from the hs that came with the processor) I know this is a problem and I have ordered a 3ghz HS and some thermal compound and it should be delivered by monday.

This should hopefully improve it. Until then I suppose ill be ok with 100:100 but I cant wait to get it on 133:133. Thanks for your help and ill post the turn out when I get the stuff I ordered.

Lloyd

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Milt May 14, 2003, 12:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Lloyd
"on 133:133 I get up to 57c - 62c (This is from the hs that came with the processor)"
Okay, you've nailed the problem then.

The Retail HS/F SHOULD do better than that though....
Did you peel the piece of clear 'protective tape' off the bottom of the HS/F before installing it?

Lloyd Thomas May 14, 2003, 12:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah I have peeled the tape off the hs. I don't understand why the retail hs is not doing a good job I got very little amount of thermal compound on which could be the problem other than that I am baffled

Lloyd Thomas May 14, 2003, 12:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Actually I spread the thermal conductor around a bit and on 100:100 it is now 44c I still think that the 133:133 will cause a overheat mind...

OH YEAH

I can have DRAM on 133 but not CPU it restarts if I have it on 133 that obviously pins it down to the CPU... If its not because of overheating what could it be?

Milt May 14, 2003, 01:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Lloyd
You shouldn't have ADDED any Thermal Compound to the stock Retail HS/F...
It's either go with the plastic like 'Phase Change' stuff that comes on it from the factory (which isn't all that bad, BTW), or clean it off completely ( a credit card to scrape it, and then alcohol), and use Artic Silver or similar.

But NOT both

Lloyd Thomas May 14, 2003, 01:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
All the stuff had completly come off thats why but there is only very little thermal compound on it now. I have ordered more stuff and hopefully it will work.

joe jones May 14, 2003, 03:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the restarts could be to do with your power supply, what kind and rating have you got ?

Lloyd Thomas May 14, 2003, 03:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a A300ATX 300 watts. I dont think that is the problem though.

Lloyd Thomas May 15, 2003, 08:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I put a ordinary fan on my desk blowing into the PC and I am know running 133:133 at 43c 48c max. When my stuff come hopefully I wont need a fan...

Vidyashankar Iyer May 18, 2003, 06:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> ASUS A7N266-VM Vcore Problem!!!
My Vcore is just 1.52 v to the factory 1.65V.how do i change it ? i emailed asus with this problem , but they havent replyed for the last 5 days.what do i do ?

Milt May 18, 2003, 09:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Vidyashankar Iyer
Nothing

Several of the XP 1700+ through 1900+ processors come from the factory set for 1.5 volts vCore.

All XP Thoroughbred 'A' and some of the newer T-bred 'B' procs are designed that way.
Palominos ALL run on 1.75 volts, and consequently run hotter.

If you really want it to run in an 'overvolt' climate, then just pencil the second L11 bridge on your processor to get 1.70 volts vCore.
See http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html

Hans Roht May 19, 2003, 09:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
testing html code if active: <a href="http://www.google.com">google</a>

Hans Roht May 19, 2003, 10:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well... Here I go............ what i'm going to tell to everyone now, occured 1 hour ago...

I was cleaning my computer (inside), and i decided to take out the CPU cooler to clean it... it wasn't too dirty but i just wanted to clean it :P
When i took it out... and started to look at it.... i turned it backwards and the terror came!!!!!!
The thermal pad was fried!!!!!!! Yeah, fried!!!! It looked like a chewing gum!!!!! A perfect square was did in the middle of the pad.
I think that was the answer for the 57C of my Athlon XP 2000+.
People, watch your HS Thermal pad, they are very bad material!!!

Here is a photo of the heat sink, when i bought it 1 month ago:
http://web.kbm.com.ar/p54/hs_1.JPG

Here is my heat sink when i took it out:
http://web.kbm.com.ar/p54/hs_2.JPG

After that i removed all the thermal pad and put artic silver, and now my athlon xp is at 32C!!!!!!!!!
amazing!!!

Greetings!!
Hans Roht.

Kevin PT May 20, 2003, 08:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In response to the above, I've just purchased this board and upon power up it will come on for 2-3 seconds the power down, the fans come on and go off with it. The monitor will act like it's coming on, but will shut off when the board shuts off. After power up it makes one beep then shortly shuts off. The green light on the board stays on when the PSU is pluged into the board, before and after it shuts off. I've been told my power supply needs to be upgraded. I'm using a YoungYear 300W PSU. Also, I'm using PC2700 ram, it should be backwards compatible with the 266FSB. Any help would be most appreciated.

Milt May 20, 2003, 04:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Kevin
Try taking the mobo out of the case and set it up on the anti-staic foam pad it was packed with, or just on a piece of wood, anything non-con-ductive.

Many people have reported 'case shorts' with these boards, and this method eliminates that as a possible source of your problem.

I run mine on a 145 Watt PSU, so your 300 Watter is more than adequate

Mike Pacheco May 20, 2003, 05:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, I just built the same type of system as Kevin and I'm experiencing the same thing. I built it on top of the motherboard box that it came with to avoid the case grouding problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

All I have connected is the HS/Fan (Volcano5), PC2700 256mb ram, and the 450w PSU.

Mike Pacheco May 21, 2003, 10:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After reading through the above reviews, I thought I'd reseat the CPU since at times it seems to "magically" fix the problem. I first tried cheating by just removing the HS/Fan, reapplying some AS3 and putting it back on but nope, that didn't work. I had to actually remove the CPU from the socket (yep, all the pins are still there, I thought to myself ;) ), reseated the CPU, then the HS/Fan and then it started working normally. Does anyone have a legitimate reason why reseating the CPU a second time works?? Coming from the Intel side, I never experienced this. :/

Milt May 21, 2003, 05:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Mike
Thanks for that bit of info, and that you got it sorted that easily.

I'll add your tip to my ever-growing list of things-to-try-that-SOMETIMES-works!

Kevin PT May 21, 2003, 10:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I tried building on the box and reseating the cpu and nothing changed. I removed the ram to see if it did anything different...nope. I even removed the cpu to see what would happen and guess what...it stayed on, although it wouldn't shut off without switching off the power supply. I have an AthlonXP 1700 and I've checked the jumper settings considering the confusion from the above posts. Is it possible the PC2700 could be the problem if it's a cheap grade? Any suggestions?

Kevin PT May 22, 2003, 12:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I solved the problem. It's strange, but true. B P from another message board, http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/3128, said the cpu thinks it's overheating and the mobo shuts down. Well, I decided to try a different HS/Fan and...IT WORKED. I was using an Antec Orb and swaped it for a standard HS/Fan. I think the standard unit covered the cpu for adequately and the Antec allowed more space. Not sure, but I'm happy. Thanks all.
Kev

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.