Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1290 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 281.46 kbit/s April 24 - 01:03am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Mike Pacheco Oct 14, 2003, 11:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Doing a quick research on your SCSI card, it seems that your card is not supported on the WinXP OS (the same thing that happened to me with an even older SCSI card), which is going to make it all that much harder to make it work on your system.

First, you need to make sure you have all of the most recent software/firmware available. WinXP is the newest OS out there and you want to eliminate the chances that it's not working due to having 'old software' reasons. I would first update your SCSI cards bios to 2.2 (located at http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?ses...fuv220.exe).
Also, get those Win2000 (or newer if you can find them) drivers on a disk prior to installing XP.

Second, Are you using the Win2000 drivers for the SCSI card during WinXP installation? You must hit 'F5' or 'F6' when WinXP installation says to do so (almost right at the beginning). It will then prompt you to insert the disk with those drivers and it SHOULD install your hardware from there.

Third, you are terminating the last SCSI device properly, correct?

If you had to turn 'off' your secondary hdd so that WinXP could recognize your SCSI card and drive, that's fine. You can always add your 2nd hdd later and this wouldn't affect your XP installation. But during XP installation, I wouldn't suggest turning off any of your IRQs as it will only make it difficult for WinXP to work when you turn them back on. Leave your IRQ set to be assigned by the OS during XP installation.

Let me know how it goes from there or whether you've already tried what I said.

Other options? You can always install an older OS (Win2000 or 98SE) or purchase a newer XP compatible SCSI card if you want to keep going the SCSI route.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
esro mazrin Oct 16, 2003, 02:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thank you for a very fine sugestion,
i never done any of that before and i think it is the solution, i'll tried it when my supplier return my board

thank you very much

Mike Pacheco Oct 16, 2003, 12:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm glad to be of assistance. Good Luck!! :)

Ken "hardwareanalysis" Dye Oct 27, 2003, 01:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just had a lot of similar wierdness....could this be an ASUS problem?

Put together an a7n8x/XP1900+ system. XP would NOT install, all sorts
of page faults and flakey hardware probs that bluescreened the install
(ie IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) or just seize up the system.

It would be more stable at the bios defaults (100mhz 12x multiplier) but still crap out eventually.

Took it back to KREX tech where I got the mb/processor/mem (assembled it myself), they scratched their heads, said I should leave
it. Got it back, they had installed a new MB, took it home, same
problem. Took it back to them again, they swapped processors for me, took it home, same prob.

I let it set for a few weeks, and oops warranty expires. Get desperate, start thinking about buying a different processor, then get smart and figure out my current system has an XP2200+ (ASUS a7V8x MB). Simply swapped the processors, and the 1900+ is working fine (well enough for me to post this); the 2200+ is 7/8 away from XP install completion, further than it ever got before.

What gives? Anyone else have this problem? Sounds like it from the chatter here...

--Ken

Mike Pacheco Oct 27, 2003, 03:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, this thread is about the Asus A7N266 based on the original nForce chipset motherboards. I'm not quite sure what you're running now, the A7N8X (nForce2 chipset) or the A7V8X (KT400 chipset) but it's certainly not the same motherboard much less the same problem.

Anyway, if your system is crashing during XP installation and if your PC runs a little better when you have it underclocked to 100MHz FSB, your issue sounds like RAM problems. What speed RAM do you have installed? Are you sure that it works flawlessly? Have you tested it outside of Windows (i.e. MemTest)? Perhaps you might want to give that a try.

Adrian Rhodes Oct 28, 2003, 06:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey guys, i have recently bought an A7N266-VM mobo and fitted it with a 1.4Ghz Duron processor and 256Mb of Nanya DDR 266 RAM
but when i power up there is no image on the monitor the led just keeps flashing and after a few seconds the mobo starts beeping repeatedly, i the manual it mentions that this has something to do with the RAM, i have tried it in both RAM slots and tried every combination of jumper setting suggested in the manual.

Please Help Me

Mike Pacheco Oct 28, 2003, 10:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It MAY have something to do with the RAM....it depends on what type of beeps they are. Like Morse Code, different lengths of beeps and quantity of beeps may mean different things what your PC is trying to tell you. I know, I know, just when you thought you had it all figured out. ;)

Anyway, first things first, I noticed that the AMD Duron 1.4GHz was not supported by the motherboard until BIOS 1007 was released.
Have you flashed your motherboard with the newest BIOS available???

And BTW, keep those jumpers at the 133 setting (both on the left side). Good Luck!!

Adrian Rhodes Oct 28, 2003, 10:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the beeps sound more like a fire engine siren if that helps.

also i cant flash the bios without getting the whole thing working

i remember have the same problem when i set up a system using the same mobo and a duron 1.3Ghz for somebody else and i managed to find out how to sort it out but unfortunatly i have forgotten how i did it.

so i dont think there is anything wrong with the bios or ram as it is exactly the same problem as before

does this help narrow down the cause anymore?

Mike Pacheco Oct 28, 2003, 12:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>'the beeps sound more like a fire engine siren if that helps.'

Ouch....that sounds serious. I personally haven't encountered that problem nor do I know what the 'fire engine siren' means in terms of troubleshooting as it sounds unique to this motherboard. In the manual, it states that 'High Frequency Beeps while system is working' (now Im not sure if their 'High Frequency Beeps' is the same as the 'fire engine siren' that you heard as they weren't specific :( ) is an indication of either your CPU is overheating or the system is running at a lower frequency. But I am certain that fire engine sounds is not the the same thing as the beeps with RAM issues!! :o

Anyway, I did remember reading about similar problems in this thread a while back and this is what another forum member, Milt, had to say...

"Try your setup on the dining room table again, with only 1 stick of 'known good' memory, no IDE devices or floppy, just monitor, keyboard, and PSU, but this time pull the CMOS battery out and just unplug the PSU for ~5 seconds.
This is the 'easy way' to "clear CMOS" because there is NO jumper on the VM.
You can leave the battery out until you need to unplug the PSU again, assuming we get you up and running again.

If the 'clear CMOS' doesn't do it, then try re-seating your CPU... just take it out and put it back... I know it sounds nuts, but it has worked for many users in this thread, for no apparent reason. "

I can see where he was going with this as if the BIOS did get screwed up at one point, clearing out any old settings may help and reseating a CPU would force you to reseat the heatsink in case it wasn't seated correctly and it was overheating for some reason.

Mike Pacheco Oct 28, 2003, 01:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>'also i cant flash the bios without getting the whole thing working'

To flash the BIOS, all you will need is a stick of 'known good' memory, CPU (duh ;) ), floppy drive, monitor, keyboard, and PSU. A bootable disk with the new BIOS and of course the ability to at least POST.

>'i remember have the same problem when i set up a system using the >same mobo and a duron 1.3Ghz for somebody else and i managed to >find out how to sort it out but unfortunatly i have forgotten how i did it.'

Damn....see this throws me off as all the BIOSes for this mobo, including the initially released one, should support the Duron 1.3GHz!! Are you sure you were receiving the same alarm?? :/ Nevertheless, you WILL eventually need to flash to the 1007 BIOS release regardless to take full advantage of the Duron 1.4GHz. At POWERON, have you tried holding down the 'Delete' key to force it to the BIOS setup while your motherboard was configured at 100FSB (BSEL0 (top jumper) to the left and BSEL1 (bottom jumper) to the right). With the above config, motherboard would hopefully force the Duron to be recognized as a 1.1GHz (which IS supported) and would at least allow you to go to BIOS to 'save' its new configuration. Then you could reboot with floppy drive, flash to 1007, then set the jumpers back to 133/133 to get it at 1.4GHz again.

Mike Pacheco Oct 29, 2003, 12:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Adrian,

Were you able to get it to work yet? What did you do?

TIA!!

Adrian Rhodes Oct 29, 2003, 12:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey mike

thanks for all your help but i havn't actually tried any of the new suggestions as of yet as i am feeling a bit ill as of late but i may give them a go tomorrow

thanks for you help again

Adrian Rhodes Oct 30, 2003, 07:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 30, 2003, 08:19am EST

right then
i've just tried my 512 DDR 333 in the motherboard and on power up there are no warning sounds at all, however there is still no picture on the monitor, which i know works cos im am using mine now.
also i tried the stick of DDR 266 in my motherboard (A7V8X) and there was no trouble what so ever

any suggestions?

PS this is a recording of the warning beeps i get when using the stick of DDR 266 http://www.dreddmetal.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Sounds/beeps.zip

K Bert Oct 30, 2003, 08:52am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
From another forum:

You MUST change your PC2100 DDR'S to PC2700's, or if you can't change them, try lowering the CPU/System BUS to 100 MHZ.

Mike Pacheco Oct 31, 2003, 01:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>i am feeling a bit ill as of late

Heh...I think there's something going around.....I've been feeling crappy for the past week. :(

>i've just tried my 512 DDR 333 in the motherboard and on power up there are no warning sounds at all, >however there is still no picture on the monitor, which i know works cos im am using mine now.
>also i tried the stick of DDR 266 in my motherboard (A7V8X) and there was no trouble what so ever

No warning sounds? hmmm.....Yeah, I didn't think it was your ram. The alarm that you made available (btw, great recording!! Got the picture real quick....but I never heard it before) doesn't sound nothing like the 'No or badly installed RAM alarm.

So have you tried clearing the CMOS already? Reseating the CPU? Have you tried my suggestion with the jumper settings above to downclock your CPU temporarily and constantly hitting the 'Delete' key at POWERON, to enter the BIOS modifying anything needed and saving config and then rebooting and flashing your BIOS to 1007?

Adrian Rhodes Oct 31, 2003, 01:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey guys, i cleared the CMOS, but that made no difference, also for some reason when i tried both sticks of RAM again there were still the same warning noises, which was quite annoying.

anyway the whole things sorted now, all that worked was reseating the cpu, which shouldn't have made a difference really, i did everything exactly the same way and for dome strange reason it started work

thanks for your help lads
everything is fine and funky now

Mike Pacheco Oct 31, 2003, 02:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>anyway the whole things sorted now, all that worked was reseating the cpu, which shouldn't have made a >difference really, i did everything exactly the same way and for dome strange reason it started work

LOL, that's the same exact feelings I had when I reseated my CPU with my initial problem. I never got any funky alarms though, it would just shut itself off for no reason. At first, I thought I'd just reseat the HS/FAN but nope, didnt work, I had to literally lift the CPU out of the board and put it back the same way. I still have a hard time comprehending why this is. A neat little Asus magic trick to annoy us, I guess. Well, Im glad that it worked out for you too!! Good luck with the rest of your installation.

esro mazrin Nov 01, 2003, 12:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My friends has a hard drive with 4Gb space
he got problem where his hdd turn up to only 500Mb space
i check it and i tried the following
1- run Fdisk with my bootdisk delete all partition and make new, still problem. the partition display show only 500 mb 100% usage
there no other partition than fat32 (ie linux or xp partition etc, never install this kind)
2- run low level format and set new partition- still problem

note- low lever format will erase all partition and make disk look like new(no partition nor formated disk)

i know this is not a right place to ask,,, sorry
hop ur all sugestion

esro mazrin Nov 01, 2003, 12:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
====>i did everything exactly the same way and for dome strange reason it started work

i think your cpu is covered with dusk or any dirth

this always happen if you never care to keep your pc clean

i always got this problem when my friend ask me to check their pc
after i done a small service(clean) it work fine,

some times we used a dirty hand, does used any glove or there is a static anergy inviroment when you install your hardware and then, you got a crazy problem

note- do not use a magnetic screw driver when installing yor hardware

Mike Pacheco Nov 01, 2003, 02:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>My friends has a hard drive with 4Gb space
>he got problem where his hdd turn up to only 500Mb space

Most likely the settings may be incorrect in the BIOS. I really don't know which motherboard you're working with but judging by the 4Gb HD, most likely it's an older model. You'll have to go into your BIOS and select the 'IDE Hard Disk Detection' or something similar and have it autodetect your HD. If it still show's up incorrectly, then you'll have to verify or manually enter the HD's cylinders, heads and sectors (which is usually located on the HD itself) on the 'Standard CMOS Setup' portion of the BIOS. Then go through FDISK again.

If it still didn't detect the the HD space correctly, then the BIOS may be so old that it can't detect HDs that large. In that case, you'll have to use some sort of software like 'MaxBlast' (whew...I can't believe I remembered that one) which allows the full HD to be recognized upon bootup through software.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.