Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1030 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 15 - 08:52pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
shibu basheer Apr 05, 2004, 02:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
I have been running prime95 for the past 2 hours with no problem. CPU heat is constant around 52. This is running at 100/100 though. I will try the memory test tonight.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Milt Apr 05, 2004, 04:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Testing @ 100/100
If you want to run it at 100/100 then testing @ 100/100 makes sense.
If you want to run it at 133/133 then TEST IT @ 133/133
You can run Memtest86 @ 100/133 and find out if the memory is good for 133

shibu basheer Apr 07, 2004, 08:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here is the update.

I tried stress test with a 1.20Ghz CPU and 2*256 PC2100 RAM. The stress test ran overnight without problems, with cpu temp hovering aroung 61.

Same test with the XP 2200+ fails after few minutes.. , though runs stable at 100/100 for many hours.

Does this mean my XP 2200 is defective? Or could this be again a memory issue? The ram I am using is a noname type from futureshop.. It have served me well so far. I read a lot about how this motherboard is very picky with its memory, so I was thinking of trying the more expensive brands from futureshop.

I havnt had a chance to use the memtest utility yet to test the memory.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

shibu basheer Apr 07, 2004, 09:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The RAM I have is azen ram from futureshop. They also have Kingston ones on sale this week. Are Kingston ones considered to be any better? I always used nonames on my other computers without any problems.

Mike Pacheco Apr 07, 2004, 10:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Like Milt said, I would try running MemTest first at those configs he mentioned first. If 100/133 returns errors then it's definitely the memory holding you back. Let us know how you fare at those other speeds also though.

Kingston has great expensive modules and good cheaper ValueRam modules. The ValueRam modules aren't much for tight timing but they deliver speeds as promised. If you don't plan on overclocking with the ValueRams, then its a good buy. The cool thing about Kingston, it has a GREAT return policy if your module ever decides to choke in the future.

Never heard of Azen ram, then again there's a lot of no name RAM modules that I haven't heard of. ;)

60C is a little high if you're running at 100/100 with your 1.2GHz! :o Hopefully, you're using a bigger heatsink with your 2200+? Are you running it with a fan on it??

shibu basheer Apr 07, 2004, 11:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The 61c heat is when I use the 1.2Ghz CPU at 133/133. I ran the CPU at 99% all night with no problems. When the CPU is not at 99%, the heat is in mid 50s.

The problem startes when I use the XP 2200 CPU. I will try to run the memtest tonight.. I am getting some kingston RAM to try with it tonight..

The heatsink I use is a ARCTIC COOLING COPPER SILENT 2. It has an auto regulated fan on it.

Thanks.

Milt Apr 07, 2004, 09:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2004, 09:57pm EDT

>> Shibu
At the risk of sounding like a broken record....
"If you have NO on-board video, then either your board is busted, or your system memory is no good."

Did you mis-understand what I said above, or why it makes sense?
Do I really need to clarify the logic of it?

Robert Shores Apr 07, 2004, 11:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2004, 11:41pm EDT

Like Milt said, RUN THE MEMTEST86 at 100/133. If it returns errors then it's definitely the memory that's the problem. Let us know the results.

shibu basheer Apr 08, 2004, 08:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Milt, I understand that the board may be busted.. that is why I am in touch with ASUS to get it replaced. As for "system" memory, do you mean some kind of onboard ROM?

Robert, I made a breakthrough last night.. threw in a new piece of kingston ram and the XP 2200+ ran the stress test all night at around 57c. Jumpers were at 133/133. So, that case is closed.

I did get the on board video working a few times.. The only time I find it is working is when I do a fresh bios flash from dos prompt. Worse thing is, it will run the first time after the flash, and at the next reboot, it doesnt. The guy from ASUS adviced on reversing the cmos battery and holding for 30 sec, then put back and restart. That did not help as well.

Overall the system works well now with the AGP card.. would have been nice to get onboard video working.. I will be contacting ASUS to RMA it.

Thanks for the patience and help guys!

Robert Shores Apr 09, 2004, 01:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Shibu

To get the onboard video to work, try the following. With the AGP slot empty, enter the BIOS SETUP.
Under ADVANCED-PCI CONFIGURATION-PRIMARY VGA BIOS- select ONBOARD VIDEO. Some of the BIOSes have different default settings. You could also choose the default BIOS settings like they recomend when you install a new BIOS. I'm using BIOS 1007 and the Kingston in my board with no problems.

Marcelo Montalva Apr 15, 2004, 08:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
I have a bad bios setup, with an incorrect bios release 1012tw. I download from asus site and this file are linked in the cpu test support. I can't get into the bios and beeps are turn me crazy!!!
oooooo God please help me!!!

Mike Pacheco Apr 16, 2004, 10:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, if God is too busy, here is something to try: ;)

Have you tried turning on your system while keeping the "del" (or "F2" or whatever button u need to press to get into BIOS on that mobo) key pressed during bootup? Perhaps even after removing the battery while unplugged for a while. Its a seriously low chance that it might work (I give it a 5% chance).

For the most part, unless your motherboard supports Dual Bios, you're pretty much screwed when you flash a BIOS with a total wrong version. The only thing that you really can do is (a) RMA it (if you can) (b) replace it with the same motherboard (as their pretty cheap now anyway) or (c) buy a whole new motherboard and upgrade your system. Sorry for the disappointing news.

Steve Wowa Apr 16, 2004, 03:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 16, 2004, 03:55pm EDT

Doh,

Steve Wowa Apr 16, 2004, 03:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There are a couple of things you can do.

You can attempt a blind flash if you can at least boot into the A: drive. (do a google search for bios blind flashing)

If not you can order a new bios chip from asus, or from badflash.com, they also reflash your bad chip to whatever bios revision you want, but you have to wait for the shipping turnaround. Should cost about $30.00.

Zach will Apr 21, 2004, 10:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

I am working on my aunts computer. It has the a7n266-vm. My problem is that when you turn on the computer the system speaker beeps continuously. It sounds like a london police car. I have tried reseating the cpu, unpluging all drives and pci cards, clearing the cmos and still nothing. To top it off the monitor dosen't even come on to show any signs of where the problem is.

Do you think it could be the ram? I have a 512mb ddr266 chip. I haven't bought another chip yet to try.

Any suggestions?

Robert Shores Apr 22, 2004, 02:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try reseating the power supply connector where it plugs into A7N266-VM several times. Make sure it is fully seated. Some cheap power supplies have low grade connector pins and don't receive a good connection.

Zach will Apr 22, 2004, 06:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I tried that and still no luck. Do you think I should try replacing the power supply?

Milt Apr 22, 2004, 06:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 22, 2004, 06:58pm EDT

>> Zach will
I think you should try reseating your aunts CPU AGAIN!

I have no explanation of why this works on this mobo, but it does... just read back through this 36 page thread for proof, if you need it.

Just trying a different (not neccessarily better, just different), stick of memory also works on occassion.

Gerbert Myburgh Apr 29, 2004, 03:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey. First time poster all the way from South Africa... if I do it wrong gimme a break. :)

My setup:
ASUS A7N266-VM Board
AMD XP2000+ CPU
256 MB RAM
ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI NIC
AOpen CD-RW
Samsung DVD-Rom
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
4 GB Quantam HDD
40 GB Maxtor HDD
Creative SB Live! Value Soundcard

My problem. (I thought this was a big problem, but after reading some of the issues you guys have with this Mobo I don't know anymore)
Some of my games randomly crashes my pc, and sometimes even causes a reboot. (Firewarrior and Sacred giving me the most problems)

Now the problem is that I can run the games, everything works fine, but everytime I play, after a random time. (anything from 5 to about 120 minutes) the PC just crashes.

I tried re-installing windows.
I tried re-installing DirectX 9
I tried installing the latest FX screen drivers from NVidia. I even tried installing some older drivers, since they are the ones used on the other computer.
I swapped the screencard with another (exactly the same) card that works fine on a friends PC. (Games also work there)
Swapped out the memory with another stick. Same problem.
I checked the CPU temperature... don't seem to be the problem. Have a huge CPU fan and Case fan running.

Running out of ideas.
Is there any known screencard conflict issues?

Main thing that bothers me is the fact that everthing works when running some of my ancient games, also just working on office documents. Only some games crash. But the ones that crash crashes every time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Milt Apr 29, 2004, 10:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Gerbert Myburgh
The problem is with the vid card (and it's drivers) being incompatible with different games, not the mobo.

Find out exactly which drivers work on your friends computer FOR THE SAME VID card AND GAME.
Install those drivers on your computer. Then THAT game will work on yours.

A friend, (MY confuser Guru), was using a similar GeForce card on a slightly different Asus mobo and got so fed up with having to change drivers in order to play different games that he threw it out and bought an ATI vid card.
No more problems with the ATI and one set of drivers.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.