Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1219 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 03:23pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Compaq Presario 715us (laptop) won't boot - Just power lights. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
A E Apr 08, 2004, 07:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Compaq Presario 715us (laptop) won't boot - Just power lights.
Don't know anything about the battery. Do you have any idea which rompaq was used? I can't find any that says it fixes the boot problem in it's description.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jupi jupi Apr 12, 2004, 08:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Compaq Presario x1000 fan doesnt work
my fan in my laptop doesnt work. when i enabled FAN ALWAYS ON WHILE AC ON POWER or sumthing like that... the fan only works when the i connect the laptop on ac power and not on battery. so if i have to turn the fan on i have to plug it in. is this really how it works or is it broken? or does it require some setting. any help plz? any ideas would be greatly appreciated

L C LaRoche Apr 24, 2004, 05:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, folks, here's the skinny. You may need to refer to my post a few months back. Essentially, Compaq is selling as**tty product, and they ain't takin no responsibility for it! After having a similar problem to many people (though I realize many people on here have experienced different problems, they all stem from the same root), and having a tech friend repair it -who said it was a total manufacting defect- I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The way the BBB works is you have to file in the company's home area, which is the San Jose area- http://www.bbbsilicon.org\ From there file a complaint (Compaq's info can be found online) and be specific about what you want done. About 2 wks later, they contacted me. They were strict, but willing to pay- a minumum amount, but... what the hell, eh?

Let us know if this works! Either that, or start a class action.

BTW- I wouldn't mention this site. I'm sure compaq wouldn't like it that disgruntled customers are organizing!

A E Jun 04, 2004, 03:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After months of trying, still no resolution. I can use it every now and then... Anyone with any updates?

Ken LaDere Jun 19, 2004, 09:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To all of you Compaq 700 series laptop owners, And a few other models as well. Compaq has a bad design flaw in their motherboards. The trace circuits are multi layered, And too close together. This causes The supply circuits to short internally. I have purchased and repaired many of these laptops, as well as for customers. Simply re-soldering the DC connector will NOT help, It tends to make matters worse. If you are having the symptoms of Blinking LED's battery light flashing, Smelling hot or melted plastic, No power, No response from turn on. Or battery Non charging. Contact me. Ive re-designed a DC connector to suit this board, This in conjunction with revamping the Primary input circuit makes for quite a reliable laptop. I've repaired a hundred or so of these units and the issues, And NONE have came back with this problem. Compaq/ HP is fully aware of this design flaw in their Tiawan manufactured board, But theyed rather SELL you a new one for 500.00.(which will end up doing the same thing in a year) I can repair these inexpensivley in comparison to The purchase of a new board, . Call or Email if you need help! Im also located on the web @ http://home.mchsi.com/~ikenfixit/ Phone @ 319-493-0221 or 319-478-9934, Or simply email and I will help. Ken

Ken LaDere
http://www.ikenfixit.com
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Khoa Nguyen Jun 21, 2004, 03:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 21, 2004, 04:26pm EDT

>> Re: Compaq Presario 715us (laptop) won't boot - Just power lights. UPDATED
UPDATED:

I recently bought a replacement motherboard for my Compaq 715US from ebay. The initial installation was not successful. The power light would turn on, but that was it. After a week, I gave it another try & started to realize that my CPU wasn't properly seated. It takes some force to seat it properly from the ZIF socket. Once that was in, I applied some thermal compound (paste) to the CPU core. Tightened the screws on it, & pressed the power button. It worked. After about two weeks using it for doing Java assignments & gaming & benchmarking, the laptop seems to be fine. It hasn't restarted or shutdown suddenly yet.

I also superglued the power plug so that it doesn't wiggle or move, & that seems to be safer.
NOTE: The Compaq series 700 doesn't make an audible sound if your CPU isn't seated properly. You'll only get the power light.

ONE important question: Do I use thermal pad or thermal compound (paste) for the CPU? I believe the thermal pad provides more force on the CPU core. But it doesn't transfer more heat if the thermal compound is applied with the same amount of force. Which is better? I'm currently using thermal paste & will change to Arctic Silver 5 soon.

2ND important question: Is it normal for the right fan (near the memory slot) to be off ? The memory slot is blazing hot, but that fan is off. I've seen it spin up to "cool" just once since the laptop works again.

Information in disassembling the 700 series go here:
http://www.geocities.com/hpmsgs/700xx/

For other laptops:
http://tuxmobil.org/disassembly_laptop.html

Mariann Olson Aug 04, 2004, 06:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for all of this, everyone!

I'm using a Compaq Evo n600c and have the same deal. LED and blinking battery charge light, and that's it. I've tried as many things with the adaptor, AC supply, battery, and I'm about to dig into the mobo. I wanted to check first if anyone has found any new info since the last post?

Khoa Nguyen Aug 05, 2004, 11:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not familiar with the n600c. But the presario 700 doesn't give any audible or visible sign that the CPU is not seated properly. All you get is the ac light, power light, and maybe battery. You might be able to reseat the CPU and check to see if the soldering on the AC adapter plug is good. Since I don't know that model, I cannot help you in dissasembling. Just take it slowly, but if it still has warranty, then use your warranty instead. Let me know if you need other help.

Removing the CPU is very easy (if it's similar to the 700). Take a flat-head screw driver and slide it into the unlocked lock symbol on the CPU socket, and slide it to the opposite side. That should release the cpu. Important: Take note of the location of the CPU chip when it's in the LOCKED position. You will seat it again by inserting the driver into the locked lock symbol and slide it foward. Make sure to use enough force so that it seats in. If you can remove the CPU without using the unlocking method, then it's NOT seated properly. It requires more force than I original thought. This link shows how to remove the cpu; http://www.geocities.com/hpmsgs/700xx/

Keep this post updated.

Mariann Olson Aug 06, 2004, 03:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks! That makes much more sense than other advice I was given. I'll try it when I get home tonight and let you know what happens.

Ken LaDere Aug 06, 2004, 03:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but sounds like the boards got a short to me. Evo's use the same boards as to 700 series and I've battled with quite a few of them. Try the reseat first but I dont think it will repair it..

Ken LaDere
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Frank Gartland Sep 30, 2004, 10:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a model 722us that does the some thing. Shuts down spontaneously and won't reboot. When you try, all you get is the green light only (GLO) from the power light. Then it will spontaneously boot up fine and work for a while before it starts again with the GLO problem.

The site below is a thread that is very long and discusses this problem at length. They have tried everything and nothing works for long before -- GLO again.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?ad...adId=36917

Ken LaDere Oct 22, 2004, 06:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Pad under Heatsink is probably deteriorated and shorting the CPU. The material is conductive..

Ken LaDere
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Maarten Weyn Oct 31, 2004, 07:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 01, 2004, 09:02am EST

hi i had the same problem with 716EA.
Ken LaDere is right
I just removed the processor and installed it again but added some thermal past after cleaning the surface, now everythings works fine.
You can test it by removing the heatsink and then trying to start (it will work, but shut it down fast so you do not burn your processor)

But presario's do suck i have only got troubles with it.

Allan B.-I. Nov 24, 2004, 07:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just like the title says it won't turn on, I was using it while plugged in with it on my lap and suddenly it just turned off. After that it wouldn't turn on again, AC adaptor still seems to work because the light ont he adaptor still turns on. So far I've took the battery out disconnected the ac and held the power button for 30 secs, according to HP's support website its supposed to discharge the power or something. But that doesn't seem to work neither.the laptop itself will not power up. Have either of you found a fix? Thanks in advance for your time

Ken LaDere Nov 25, 2004, 07:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HP techs do this to their cars when they fail to start as well.. Sounds like your CPU is the culprit. Pull the heatsink and see if the factory garbage thermal transfer pad has meted down and beaded up on the CPU.. This will Kill the CPU and short the rails. If you need help just yell, We repair a ton of these monsters and they definitley have issues. Ken
Ken LaDere
ken@ikenfixit.com

Ken LaDere
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Annamari Martinviita Dec 28, 2004, 07:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a HP Omnibook XE3 (3 years old) that won't boot. It's been acting up for about a month now. At first it would take a couple of tries and pressing the power button down for longer to get it to boot, but it got progressively worse from there. I've been keeping it switched on and it runs fine, though some software is screwed up (and the boot problem started after I'd done several windows updates at once as well as uninstalling a load of programs) so I assumed this was just my Win98 being screwed up and needing to be reinstalled (I've never reinstalled it). I couldn't do this right away though because I have no way of backing up my data and now, since I had to switch off the computer during christmas holidays, it won't start up at all. Reading this forum made me wonder whether it could be a hardware problem instead.

What happens when I press the power switch is the fan starts up, it checks the CD-ROM drive and I think the hard drive starts up too (not sure if I recognise the sounds correctly) but after those things nothing happens, nothing comes up on the screen at all, the computer stays on but will react to nothing except pressing down the power switch until it turns off again. Sometimes when I try to switch it on none of the above things happen although it does power up, and when I press the power switch again the fan and the CD drive start going as before but there's also an ongoing beep noise from within the computer.

I had a new motherboard installed a few months ago so could this be the problem instead? I haven't had any burning smell or other weird stuff, and when the computer does boot, it runs normally apart from a few programs not working in Windows. After I got the computer back from the shop with the new motherboard, it turned out that the old power lead didn't work either (light didn't come on on the transformer) so they gave me a new one. Since then there's been no problem with power and even now the battery light comes on as normal.

If anyone's got any tricks I could try to get the machine to boot I'd be grateful. If I can get the thing to boot I'll back-up the data (with an external hard drive or CD-R drive) and reinstall Windows (the HP system recovery disk restores the system to what it was when I bought it, and erases all data on the hard drive). If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do next!!

Ken LaDere Dec 29, 2004, 05:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One thing to try first is see if the machine works on external monitor.. If not there are a ton of things it could be and you would have to try process of elimination to repair it yourself... CPU, RAM, So on and so forth. Let us know how it goes.

Ken LaDere
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
JC Crowder Jan 02, 2005, 01:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am so glad to have found this thread! (misery loves company?). I have a Compaq laptop and experienced this problem over a year ago. The pc was still under warranty and Compaq "fixed" it, but it began having the same problem a couple of months later. Since then, the computer has been gathering dust as I broke down and bought a Toshiba.

My question is this: would it make sense to buy an external hard drive enclosure, throw the laptop hard drive in there and then use the Compaq as a doorstop?

Ken LaDere Jan 03, 2005, 05:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
LOL! thats why I come here to be miserable as well.. Whats the Compaq doing/not doing? What model as well? we can help you with it or purchase if you need it gone.
Ken LaDere
ken@ikenfixit.com
231-758-0538

Ken LaDere
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Mike Sgroi Jan 31, 2005, 09:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the info. On the plus side, I was able to work through the problem and got my laptop booting again.

On the minus side, now when I try to boot up, the computer shuts itself off. The time it take to shut down varies from a couple of seconds to a few minutes.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.