Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 943 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 09:12am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio notebook battery problem 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Mandy F Jan 31, 2005, 08:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio notebook battery problem
My battery doesn't charge anymore either. I almost always use it plugged in, and now I have to. It isn't an inconvenience but it's a little frustrating for it to say it's charged but not work.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sam Chou Feb 01, 2005, 07:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For cases like battery does not charge or battery does not hold enough charge, I think maybe it is the time for you to change your battery. A lithium ion battery has only 500-800 charge cycles, you have no way to pro-long it to 4-5 years if you use your notebook frequently. So sometimes, the reason is simple, your battery is dead.

You can find more interesting battery tips on http://ebuybatteries.com/company/battery_faq.htm.

W Eng Feb 01, 2005, 08:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 01, 2005, 08:39pm EST

Sam,

Been there, done that. New battery, new charger, same problem. Any other thoughts?

Denise Collins Feb 02, 2005, 11:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Which model do you have?
I have the PCG-FX 370 and I cant get it to do anything either.
Right after I purchased this pc I was able to use it a dozen times.
I returned it to Circuit City and they then sent it to Sony.
At that time, they said it was the adapter and soddered it.. Returned it to me.worked for what life was in the battery that they replaced *I put a x in bottom of batter to see what they would do* The battery returned with no x. :) So, my guess it wasnt repaired...... Now right afterward I went through returning for repair again and got the run around, exisiting condition etc....... sony passed buck to CC, CC passed to Sony. Then the blow came they said, oh we never repaired your pc......
Now 2 years later still with no resolution.....
I have no power, a adapater that shows output of 19.8.
I only have the original 256 mg of memory in slot. I have tried to switch them around...
nothing.
oh yeah plus when I originally purchased this prior to sending it for repair I had to wiggle the adapter to get it to light up as it was charging.
?????????????????
Any ideas??
De

Tony Papay Feb 03, 2005, 09:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm passing this along as a possible cure that I found posted else where.

just thought I would update everyone in case anyone runs into the same problem in the future. I left the laptop unplugged with the battery removed all day while I was at work. Then when I came home I held the power button (still with everything removed) for 30 sec. I read this on the HP website, it's to decharge the capacitors. Finally, I put the battery back in and plugged in the adaptor and everything worked! Hope no one else has to deal with this, but if you do try what I did...maybe it will work for you too.

J Meens May 04, 2005, 11:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Vaio VGN-A290 also has this problem. I know it's not the battery because I also have a VGN-A190 and it will run my 190 for hours. If I take the fully or partially charged battery from the 190 and put it into my my 290 it will usually power on the laptop for about 3-5 seconds then dies completly and won't come back on again at all. But if I take out the battery and put it back in again I can usually repeat that again, by getting to start for a few seconds then dies. The 290 works perfect with the AC Adapter powering it. Also with the battery in the unit it will show that it is charged in windows but as soon as you unplug the AC Adapter it dies. So it's the same problem as others here..

So it's likely the Battery controller daughterboard thing others talked about here. But I need to find out the part # of this card for a VGN-A290.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I tried the HP advice above by unplugging it and holding the power for 30secs or more to drain the charges in the caps but didn't help. Same problem. Would have been nice though.

Dan Peairs May 12, 2005, 05:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It seams like I have the same problem with my Sony pcg-f580 as Marcie, Slawek and J Meens. My battery stopped charging imediately after installing Windows XP. I am convinced that it is a software problem and not a hardware problem. So far I have tried reinstalling the BIOS, the capacitor decharging trick and several things that the sony representative suggested. None have worked. I would like to try new device drivers (windows says I have the most up to date... is there anything else, maybe trying old ones?), or reinstalling BatterScope or PowerPanel which came with the computer. Does anyone know where I can get these (preferably for free)? Any other ideas?

Jonathan Treible May 23, 2005, 08:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Boy, am I glad to find you guys! I have a SONY VAIO PCG-V505AX. The last few weeks the battery has been discharging despite the A/C being plugged in. The software does not recognize that the A/C is plugged in. With a low battery, it starts acting weird (fade screens, going to hibernate) when I try to change power management settings. Then, the battery discharges to zero and then starts charging again. I will look into a new battery and try a pressing the start button with the A/C unplugged and the battery removed. From reading these posts, it looks like the problem will continue to get worse, right?
I have a COMPUSA three year warrenty on the machine that is still valid. What is people's experience with them? Is there anything else I can do? I would appreciate any feedback

Jonathan Treible
jtreible@mindspring.com
888-677-

David Gray Jun 01, 2005, 04:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm having a similar problem with a 5 plus year old PCG-Z505JEK. The old battery would charge but wouldn't last more than a few minutes despite changes in settings. I replaced the battery with a new one, upgraded my bios and bingo, had success. About a week later, the batteryscope meter went clear and several trys to upgrade the bios to a newer version have been unsuccessful.

Is this the dreaded battery board issue or perhaps just a 5 year old system button battery that's beginning to fail? My clock works fine.

Local shop wants to a weeks worth od diagnostic surgery on my lavender laptop.

R Lee Jun 11, 2005, 07:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Recently just got the Sony FS215Z laptop which when received worked fine... until I took the battery out and put it back in. After removing the battery, the battery wouldn't charge (although the power adapter was working and the battery status said it was charging) so when the battery finally ran out - the laptop switched itself off. Initially I thought it was a problem with the battery but even with solely the mains plugged into the laptop and the battery removed I couldn't get it to work. Instead I heard this clicking noise after which I tried the emptyin capacitors trick which meant i could start the laptop but lasted only about a minute before dying. After contacting Sony directly, they've asked to have the laptop be taken in to be repaired but since I'd only had it less than 7 days I got a replacement instead.

But the replacement was exactly the same, fine until I took the battery out and plugged it back in... Lets jus say i'm not too pleased! I mean, am I not suppose to take the battery out???

David Gray Jun 13, 2005, 10:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio PCG Z505JEK notebook battery problem
After turning off some applications in msconfig startup, my vaio suddenly recognized my battery again. It did this for a couple of days and now, this morning it's back to its old tricks. Anyone have any thoughts why Batteryscope would turn off and on like this?

steve unwin Jun 28, 2005, 03:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys,

This battery problem. I have a vaio FX401 (US model is FXA32). and my battery doesn't charge. I am also of the opinion this is a software problem (which Sony won't respond to - so basically we're on our own).

I've changed my charger, battery (twice) AND the daughter board (I got it from pchub.com for 71 bucks).
NOTHING has worked. My old daughterboard must be OK, if anyone wants to buy it !

I'm now going to re-install windows, if no joy, the damn thing goes on eBay - unless one of you guys has got anywhere with this.

Regards

steve unwin Jun 28, 2005, 01:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Update,
Another forum (Vaio village) suggests the problem is now a motherboard issue.
bye bye sony - back to a tosh I think.

Chad Greiner Aug 19, 2005, 12:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an older Sony, PCG-F490, about 5 1/2 years old, and I've had similar issues. The interesting twist is that all of a sudden the battery that came with the laptop wouldn't hold a charge or recharge at all. It was working at 100% effectiveness the day before. I had a second battery that I bought about 9 months after I bought the laptop. It still worked completely fine. About 9 months later it did the exact same thing. Hmmm, coincidence, I think not. My buddy said that there is a small memory chip that is basically a "self-destruct timer" inside the battery. Makes sense because the computer always knew exactly how many times the battery had been recharged, even after an OS reinstall He claims you can connect two of the connectors and reset the chip, but I didn't have the cajones to stick a paperclip onto two potentially live battery leads.

Anyways, instead of being a paperweight, I installed Linux on it and am using it to try to learn that OS. I've tried about a dozen different distros and Fedora works the best on this particular one, if anyone's interested.

Teck Hing Ting Aug 24, 2005, 08:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yuo guy can try to search the sony spare part from http://www.pchub.com

Dennis Pyron Sep 28, 2005, 05:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wish I had found this site before I got a "good deal" on Ebay. What a lemon with the battery problem(s). I had a store diagnose the battery as the problem. I bought a new battery recently and began cycling it to extend the life. The meter says it has 1.5 hours remaining on the battery. It will not last 45 min. I think it is getting worse. Do any of you have a source for the battery module that controls output and charging??? Thanks in advance.

Mits Spyder Oct 21, 2005, 12:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Doing a little research I came across this, it looks like this is a pretty wide spread problem.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/sony-vaio.htm

konansi liao Dec 01, 2005, 08:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There maybe some error in the SMBus, which in battery communicate with laptop and provides remaining capacity, output voltage, and temperature information. SMBus is constant error.Why do not consider replacement battery, it only take USD 100.00.

Vince Giangrossi Jan 05, 2006, 12:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 05, 2006, 01:05pm EST

>> Re: Sony Vaio notebook battery problem A790 mystery drain
I have a 6 month old VGN-A790 and my problem is kind of different and sony says they have not heard of this one before (yeah, right) My battery charges fine and work fine and if removed from the laptop seems to hold a full charge. BUT if the laptop if OFF and UN-plugged the battery will still discharge at a rate of 10 to 12% a day. In other words, i can charge up the battery, un-plugg the charger and then not use the laptop for a week (with the battery still in it) and when I try to use the laptop again the battery will be almost dead, more than a week and the battery will be completely drained. If I remove the battery after charging, the battery will still have better than 90 to 95% after a week.
So it seems that something in the laptop is draining the battery even if the laptop is OFF. This ring any bells out there ??

konansi liao Jan 05, 2006, 10:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Re:Sony Vaio notebook battery problem A790 mystery drain
Vince Giangrossi,

To clear your problem, I summarized it here: (1) the battery could be charged well (2) the self-discharge of the battery is regular, if no use and remove from laptop, about 5-10 percent per week. (3) when put into unworking laptop and without power supply,the battery discharge at the rate of 10percent per day.

If sure,the most possible is the CPU (Or called power management IC). Under wait voltage, suggest to be 15V, the battery should discharge at a very low rate, but discharge more than under open air. That is why we should remove battery when we intend to use the laptop as desktop in long times. You know, as long as only one component not off circuit, for example, the laptop under ACPI S4 status (all component stop working) voltage difference make discharge still.

The battery charge and discharge well,that tell us the battery cell is ok. You need not exchange the battery cell.Inside battery, there is a MCU control the battery charge or discharge, supply or not supply power to laptop. Firstly, check the voltage of battery when it inside you unworking laptop, if it to be 15V or not.
If the voltage is the correct wait voltage, send you battery to us.Our engineer will change the MCU to you.
If the voltage is incorrect, say to more than 15V, consider changing CPU on motherboard.

Last, if your CPU on mother board be ok, we 100% surely it's not serious to buy a li-ion replacement battery (USD 113). Repair (USD55) will be enough.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.