Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1043 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 09:21pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio notebook battery problem 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
paul rego Feb 12, 2006, 07:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio notebook battery problem
hi i just got a used sony vio laptop from a friend with out a battery so i went out and got my self a new battery but the computer is not charging the battery i'm using is the power cord does anyone know what could be the problem thanks...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
john albrich Feb 12, 2006, 08:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It can also be one of the battery sensor spring connectors. I had a similar problem in another notebook and once I manually re-aligned the connectors, it worked fine. Apparently some connectors aren't made with "springy" enough metal, and can deform if the battery is pressed in too hard. Manufacturing tolerances then take over and eventually the connection becomes intermittent or goes completely.

The processor chip inside the battery pack wasn't able to report the right information to the computer. I think the problem was aggravated because the computer had the ability to use both a "dumb" battery and a "smart" battery. When faced with a "smart" battery that looked like it was "dumb", the computer's power management didn't handle things well.

juan bercetche Oct 04, 2006, 01:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a battery problem with my Sony Vaio GRX560. The battery is not recognized by the laptop. Is the battery board? How can I make sure is not the BIos,driver, etc?
This happened days after reinstalling from scratch the OS. I used the original drivers that came with laptop. When I unplug the AC adapter the computer turns off
and the battery does not start working.
In case i have to replace the battery board from GRX560 Can I use one from a GRX570.
I checked the part number and is different from GRX560 part number. Is there any problem using the grx570 part with a grx560 laptop?

GRX560:A-8067-479-A
GRX570:A-8067-167-A
thanks
jb

FordGT90Concept Oct 04, 2006, 02:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 04, 2006, 02:39pm EDT

I don't know if Sony will but keep a look out for a battery recall--your computer could be effected:
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3635166

If the battery stopped working cold turkey and you didn't do anything to the BIOS, chances are, the battery is just plain dead.

You can only replace batteries of the same part number. Voltages, locking points, etc. can vary from PC model to PC model hence, part number to part number.

juan bercetche Oct 04, 2006, 04:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did reset the bios before reinstalling from scratch the OS. This might have caused the problem? What do you recomend me to do?
thanks
again :)

FordGT90Concept Oct 04, 2006, 06:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Batteries, as far as I know, operate on hardware switches but, there may be an option in the BIOS that says to allow or disallow battery usage when a battery is attached. Just look around and pay special attention to the power settings options to see if there's anything that looks like it has potential.

Marie O'Neill Apr 14, 2007, 09:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just for the record, I have hte same problem on a VGN-SZ1HP/B. It is within warranty:_), so I'm going to try to get the retailer to sort it out. However, I'm not about to let the notebook out of my sight - too much client data on it.:/

Marie O'Neill Apr 15, 2007, 03:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
An update:-
I tried removing the battery and leaving it out overnight. no luck.
I uninstalled it from the devices list(system, hardware, device manager), re-booted, and the driver was back in place, but the power management didn't see it as 'ok'. However, there was a difference when I had uninstalled it (before the re-boot) - that time, there was no icon showing for the battery at all. When it is installed (it re-installed itself on re-boot), it shows as #1 but says it is 'not present', as if it was physically not there, though correctly installed.
I also tried to update the driver, but it wasn't having any of that. I don't know where you would go for a driver, apart from the installation files.
That looks like it might be misaligned clips etc. as someone else suggested, but I don't know how to sort that out. Will try the retailer tomorrow & report 'progress'. I hope to get them to let me try a different battery in it, to see if it is the laptop or the battery that has the problem.

Marie O'Neill Apr 16, 2007, 08:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Success!
I went to the Sony Centre where I bought my laptop, and they were very helpful. I had, of course, the information about the steps I took to check out the battery (see above), and when they checked out that I was correct, I then suggested that in order to check whether it was the software, battery or possibly hardware that was faulty, it would be a good idea to insert a new battery and see if that made a difference. They agreed, and the battery was immediately recognised.
They agreed to let me have the new battery, since I was able to show (receipt) that the laptop - VGN-SZ1HP/B - was still in warranty. :D They expressed surprise that this battery was faulty, had no previous complaints.:O
While I was there, I checked out the UX model. Why wasn't that around when I was travelling to present training courses a few years ago?:/ I drooled for a while, but it costs over 3000 :( and needs a stylus to operate the keyboard, so I can't justify buying it. But 32GB on removable flash instead of a standard hard drive is the reason, they tell me.

Rolan Cobb Jul 02, 2007, 10:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Vaio FRV27 and I bought a new battery for it about three months ago. All had been going pretty well, except for a memory card failure, until a week or so ago when it quit, while plugged into the AC adapter. It turned out that the battery was not charging and had run down and the computer will not run off the AC adapater.

I had a new adapter that I bought several months ago when I was having another problem with it and I tried it, same thing.

So I built a battery gadget out of an old battery and wired the ac adapter into the plus and minus terminals of the old battery box and terminals. It seems to work fine that way but will still not work off the AC adapater plugged into the computer directly. Now I have a poor connect rate on my modem because of the power supply noise not being filtered out by the normal battery, which is not in the machine when I am running it off my battery gadget which I have connected to the battery plug in, in the computer.

So, do I have a bad battery, or a bad daughter board, or a bad MB. I can't find out anything from Sony, they don't seem to give any support at all.

I am considering junking the whole thing. If I ever buy another notebook you can be sure it will not be from some company who does not give any better support than Sony does. What a mess.

Leonid Brandis Aug 13, 2007, 11:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I'm new on this forum. I bought VGN-N320E yesterday. The laptop works fine from the outlet and battery out. As soon as I plug the battery in the following error message appears:

The battery is not properly inserted or not compartable with the laptop. Click "OK" to go to hibernate mode and remove and reinsert the battery.

When I did the that, I could not start the laptop again. I had to remove the battery in order to start it.

Thanks for your help

LB

J White Sep 09, 2007, 03:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an 18 month old PCG 4G1M or VGN TX2XP anyway its the little Vaio. Was working fine until today the battery would not charge and then I get the error message Battery not recognized and #1 battery not present. Tried various restarts, capacitor discharge, no luck. Waiting for a response from Sony and ordered a new battery. Seems to be the same problem that many other have with Sony.

D Nak Jul 13, 2008, 12:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 13, 2008, 12:36pm EDT

I've always had this problem with my VAIO Z505HS. I've been through 3 batteries. They all start ok, but then slowly they gradually begin charging to lower and lower levels. I had pretty much given up on this, but a werid thing happened when I wiped the drive and reinstalled W2k. The battery all of a sudden started charging and working again! HOWEVER, as you would expect, after a month or so, it went back to its old tricks.

I was good to read that someone had no luck with the daughter card solution. I always wondered about that one. Prolly saved me some $.

Seems like if it was a hw issue, reinstalling Windows would not do anything. If it's sw, then WTF is it?!

Douglas Martin Jul 21, 2008, 03:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is in reply to Leonid who had the same issue as I. The message about battery not compatible or inserted right. And then you have to hibernate, reinsert, etc. I started having this problem only a month or two after buying a replacement supersized battery. I love the 8 hours this thing gives me, but the message and process was a huge pain. It gradually grew more frequent, and finally tonight it would not clear with the reinsertions. I was hugely distressed to find this site and all of the vaio battery problems. But fortunately, after reviewing it all, I fixed the problem, for now, with nail polish remover. It was all I could find around here, but the acetone in it cleaned the contacts enough to temporarily make everything fine. Alcohol is suggested also. We'll see, but it makes sense that this is simply a connector issue. Next I will try bending contacts for better connection, which may require breaking some plastic to get to it. For everyone else, I'd certainly try something like this before replacing expensive hardware.
- Doug

David Walker Sep 21, 2008, 08:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NR310E. My battery quickly lost the ability to hold a charge about four months after I bought it, until finally it would not hold a charge at all. But guess what?! I usually turn my laptop on either with the AC power adapter plugged in already or I plug it in a minute after powering up. And the battery meter kept telling me 0% charge, even though I spent several hours online and plugged into AC adapter power. So, obviously it wasn't charging. But why? bad battery? bad battery board? bad connection somewhere? loosened female outlet? Here's what I discovered: after powering on with AC adapter, wait about five minutes, then take your battery out while still plugged in. Leave your battery out for five minutes, then put it back in (all the while being plugged in to AC adapter). Lo and behold, I did this, and my battery went from 0% charged to 97% charged! Not only that, but it had no problem charging the remaining 3% in due time. I believe this problem has to do with the limitations of the battery board and its limited ability to read battery capacity correctly and distinguishing between AC and DC (battery power). There is a conflict or limitation somewhere in the circuitry for recharging and reading battery charge. Try what I did and you'll see!! Even if your battery is still good and NOT worn out, if the battery board does not read it correctly, you won't be able to use it. There is a long, thin circuit board inside the battery pack and it is responsible for recharging and determining amount of charge. For some reason, removing the battery for five minutes while being plugged in to AC adapter, then putting it back after five minutes fixes the problem. Now I don't have to buy a new battery. To be honest, I have to give credit to the guy at the Geek Squad at Best Buy for this one!

Vlad K Jan 20, 2009, 11:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found the solution that helped me. There is a utility that runs in the background - ISBMgr.exe. Delete the entry in regestry that starts this utility - it is under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Kill this process in the memory as well.

I've read that this utility is checking if you are using original Sony battery and if not, it starts giving you messages about not properly inserted battery or incompatibility. I've "fixed" my bosses laptop this way. About two weeks after the battery was replaced with the new non-Sony laptop began giving messages. The laptop would start no problem without the battery, but once you insert, it would give a message about battery not being compatible or inserted correctly and if you click ok, it would go into hybernation. It is just a high-tech sales technique.

Matt M Feb 10, 2009, 09:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Matt M Feb 10, 2009, 09:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ive been having a simaler problem with my sony vaio PCG FX220, The battery recharges and everything, but when i unplug the charger the laptop says the battery level is "100%" but the battery dies less then 5 minutes later, what the hell am i supposed to do! ive been trying to fix this thing for over three months!!!! If you have any solutions please tell me! >:o

Dave Kitchen Feb 22, 2009, 06:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys, seems like a lot of us are struggling with batteries!!

I have a Vaio VGN SZ1M-B laptop, 2.5 years old, which has always worked without complaint. Few days ago i unplugged the lappy from the mains to go wandering (with the battery inserted) and the computer acted as if it had never seen a battery before.

Upon restart the laptop didnt recognize any battery was inserted. Since then i have re-installed windows and ensured that all drivers and software is up to date, and it still doesnt recognize a battery is inserted.

I havent noticed any deterioration in battery life, it just suddenly stopped being recognized by the computer.

Slightly concerned that its the battery daughter board thats buggered, but I like the idea of the battery sensor spring connectors being damaged/bent, as is likely an easy fix.

Any ideas before i bite the bullet and post it off to my local computer repair dude who charges extortionate amounts....

Dave

Douglas Martin Feb 22, 2009, 01:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here is a 6 mo update on my post last summer. Yes, cleaning the contacts helped, but not permanently. So I proceded to try to bend the spring contacts into better shape, but this was difficult, and it's generally impossible to bend two opposing springs into each other in a manner that will make them a tighter fit. So then I considered the possibility that the battery contacts were simply not reaching the laptop contacts, because the laptop pins were not long enough, or vice versa. I've never doubted that it is a contact problem. So, it gets messy, but I pulled out a dremmel tool and carefully opened up the inside surface of the battery to expose the little PCB that has the contacts mounted to it. I inserted plastic spacers that pressed the board and pins outward by 1/16" or so. I put the battery back in (which looks fine since all the dremmel work is on the inside), and have not seen the issue return in over five months now. All battery functions work fine now, no changes to the registry, etc. With billions spent on software (which of course doesn't work either) it is interesting that they can't pay a mechanical engineer enough to get one critical dimension right. Such a dumb mistake that is made to look so sophisticated.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.