Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1245 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 06:00am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio notebook battery problem 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Duane Andre Dec 08, 2010, 09:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio notebook battery problem
Received the battery from SuperMart168. Also, happened on to level8technology.com where a battery can be purchased and a bios update to recognize the non-Sony-direct battery can be downloaded. Anyway, installed the battery after I imported the deleted registry entry, and of course the battery is not recognized. :( I went ahead, with crossed fingers, and attempted to run the BIOS update from level8technology; saw a command screen briefly, and that was all. :~ I went back to SuperMart168, and asked whether a BIOS update is required, and received a 'yes' response. I said it would have be nice to put that on the site. Anyway, they gave the site to download the required files. I'm just waiting to get the courage to install them. As you are aware, if one messes up a BIOS update; it is really messed up. Anyway, at least the system recognizes there is a battery in place and it is charged to 60%. Of course, if the computer is shut down, it will not start until the battery is removed. With the adapter connected & battery removed; the computer boots normally, but the battery does not charge (because it isn't recognized as a Sony product).

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Duane Andre Dec 11, 2010, 07:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
:(Well, one gets what one pays for. Installed the BIOS 'fix' from SuperMart168 and not only did it not work, it also made it so a couple of hardware devices were no longer recognized by the system. Then I received an email from SuperMart168 that it isn't compatible with W7 (irrespective that a document on the enclosed CD has procedures for installing on a Windows 7 machine). I've been able to correct the deleted drivers for the hardware items that were no longer recognized, but the battery is still not recognized. I've re-inserted the 'old' battery, and the system seems to recognize it as 'original' Sony as I can do a cold boot without having to remove/install the battery to boot up as I would with the replacement battery. SuperMart168 sent an email with an RMA# to return the battery and will reimburse me for it and S&H. During the new BIOS flash, theere was a screen stating that the old BIOS was being backed up. I've asked SuperMart168 several times where the backup was saved, but no answer. Any ideas anyone? I will attempt to reflash with the old BIOS (when found) to get back to the original state, and I will purchase an original Sony battery at 4 times the price; i.e., $199. To everyone, just do due diligence before going to one of several sites that appear to have good deals on replacement batteries for any laptop.

Duane Andre Dec 13, 2010, 01:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 13, 2010, 01:19pm EST

Does anyone know where I can get the original BIOS for the Sony Vaio VGN-FZ230E? I joined BIOSAGENTPlus, and received 2 emails after explaining above. 1) the BIOS you have appears to be the best match; and 2) [after asking if they have the original BIOS] Sony has taken it down from their site and is no longer available. To others who are tempted (desperate) to obtain up-to-date drivers/BIOS from site that purport to give you the most up-to-date file - be very circumspect.:(

john albrich Dec 13, 2010, 06:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 13, 2010, 06:08pm EST

Re: finding the backed-up BIOS file...

Have you tried a search for "bios" or "*bios*" from the C:\ root directory in Windows Explorer (or whatever file management system you use)? I'm assuming they included the word "bios" in the backup filename.

Or, you might try looking for permutations of the word "backup", "bkup", "restore", etc.

The backup filename possibly also has the extension ".bin" or ".hex"

Or, you might try an advanced search looking for all files created on the date you performed the BIOS modification.

edit to add:
Yet another reason to NOT buy Sony products. They seem to unendingly attempt to try to brute force lock their customers into using Sony accessories, replacements, software, etc. instead of relying on providing a quality product at competitive prices and receiving customer satisfaction/loyalty.

john albrich Dec 13, 2010, 06:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Duane, there may somewhere also be a battery re-manufacturing company that provides refurbished Sony battery packs at lower prices. Seems I read of that somewhere. They open the original pack and replace only the cells inside. The electronics, etc. remains the same. I think you don't get your original pack back, you get one that someone else sent-in when they bought a refurbished pack.

Duane Andre Dec 13, 2010, 09:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've been doing asearch on *.rom etc.; and of course there are a plethora of files with that name; unfortunately they hold the date of when they were first 'installed' not when they were saved.:( Thanks for the input. I'll search for the battery refurbisher.

Duane Andre Dec 21, 2010, 11:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Found several *.rom files. However, there were 2 with the same date: BiosRead.rom and BiosWrite.com. There was also a year old file BIOS.ROM, and two others: bios1.rom and bios4.rom each in two different locations - windows and windows\system32. Do you know what would be an editor for those type files; i.e., just to read/look, not edit?

john albrich Dec 22, 2010, 12:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 22, 2010, 12:54am EST

Just look for a "hex" editor on places like majorgeeks.com, download.com, softpedia.com, etc.

Here's one
hexview v2.0
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/1HexView.shtml

Duane Andre Dec 22, 2010, 01:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did download and install 010 Editor V3, but unless one knows precisely what one is doing... :/ I'll check out your recommendation. I found the site you mentioned about changing the cells, but keeping the chip. Unfortunately, I didn't save the site, so I'm still searching.

Duane Andre Dec 27, 2010, 02:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Found a config.ini file in \windows where:
[Option]
License=22136
Capacitypercent=30
ShowMode=32768
KillProcess=ISBMgr.exe
StopAutoStart=ISBMger.exe
FilePath=

And, true enough, after starting ISBMger.exe and watching the process in "Task Manager", it stops. Well, I do know the battery is well below 30% (like 0%). I did order a battery from Sony, and (again) I wait with bated breath (or just bait breath). :/

Duane Andre Dec 27, 2010, 03:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 27, 2010, 05:57pm EST

When all else fails, try to go to an earlier restore point. I did, and even though the process said that it was unsuccessful; I don't believe it was (I've had that experience from an earlier time), and after reboot, I received a message that the restore 'was' successful. I have the battery monitor icon in the system tray; i.e., the system recognizes the original Sony battery again, and await the arrival of an original Sony battery tomorrow to see if there is complete success.

Duane Andre Dec 27, 2010, 11:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Duane Andre Dec 30, 2010, 09:52am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We have success. Recieved the Sony Battery (from MX, the Larado, then Ft.Worth) today, and it's charging nicely.:D

darryl saladino Dec 31, 2010, 01:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 31, 2010, 01:36am EST

If the battery is not charged up and the charger is plugged, the laptop doesn't switch on . If I take of the battery and leave the charger plugged, it is not able to turn on also. The battery light lights only when the battery is charged up and the laptop is turned on. If the charger is plugged in and laptop is switched off and battery is in, there is no sign of charging.

Duane Andre Dec 31, 2010, 08:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 31, 2010, 10:15am EST

How do you know the battery is charged if there is no sign of charging? Have you tried a new charger? If the battery is not in and the charger is plugged in; it's either the charger, a bad connection to the laptop from the charger, or maybe the charger circuit in the laptop. Check the voltage at the charger plug.

Jhon Boster Jan 02, 2011, 01:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 02, 2011, 01:12am EST

I would suggest you to do the appropriate research for the same and as many vendors are selling duplicate products on the name of original manufacturers.For more information on Laptop Batteries and Parts visit [URL= http://www.laptopcharger.org]

Benji Saki Jan 13, 2011, 05:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sony Viao is really as**t when it comes to Batteries. I have a sony viao VGN-TX46GP that costed more than 3000 Sfr. and from one day to another the bateries capacity dropped from 10 hours to 0, i mean 0, could not even use the computer for a second without the power outlet. Bought a new batterie and noe a week later, the same prob. Buying a sony laptop is suicidal. Nobody should venture.

Benji Saki.

Duane Andre Mar 02, 2011, 10:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I went to http://www.batteryrefill.com and sent my battery in to be refilled. They take it apart around the seam, replace the batteries without doing anything to the electronics, and seal it again. It's not 'pretty', but it was somewhat functional. It had a charge on it, and would discharge, but not charge. Also, the battery was not recognized by the system. I obtained an RMA, and returned the battery. They did some tests on it, and decided to order a new battery from China. I advised them that I had gone through that process; and it failed. They told me that they would test the battery with their software, then send it on to me if it passed. They also said that if it didn't work in my computer that they would refund my money upon receipt of the battery. I received the battery, and went through the process of modifying the BIOS with the accompanying CD. First, though, I created a restore point just in case. I followed their directions for Windows 7 Ultimate x64, held my breath and ta daaa; it worked. They do have a command in there to kill isbnmgr.exe, but I don't think that needs to be done; however, I will experiment to find out.

ozy powell May 23, 2011, 08:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

ozy powell May 23, 2011, 08:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
They are running a little service that checks whether the battery is a Sony battery ($300!), and if it is not then it kicks into action and sends your machine into hibernation!

After some digging I found this article, and the fix is easy, the service is called ISBMgr and to get rid of it permanently fire up msconfig like so

go to the startup tab and uncheck the ISBMgr.

Now when you restart it will ask you if you knew that some services where changed, just say yes and it will never bother you again.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.