Please register or login. There are 1 registered and 1260 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 03:34pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Does Santa Claus exist? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Chris M Dec 12, 2006, 10:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Does Santa Claus exist?
I wasn't aware that this thread was infamous. I just think it's fun to read. :cool:

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bitmap Dec 12, 2006, 11:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sean Costello said:
answer as to how santa gets people their presents?

Wormholes.

Nah. Einstein was a bad boy as a child, but he really wanted presents, so he designed and created a teleportation device for the man in red back in 1943, and he never got coal again. ;)

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Sean Costello Dec 13, 2006, 03:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
by red man do you mean santa or the Soviets (w00t Red Alert 2 :D)

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Bungle Dec 13, 2006, 06:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mr. AvenG said:
If santa claus existing is very improbable (but not impossible), that would mean he does exist.
If the universe is infinite (like the physisist say it is (but it really isn't)), and the probability of santa claus existing is infinitely improbably (very close to impossible but not quite), that would mean he exists somewhere out there.
Simple equation to prove it:
Probability of santa existing = 1/[infinity]
Size of universe = [infinity]
so:
1/[infinity] * [infinity] = 1

So there's one santa...
If someone can actually figure out what the probabilty of santa existing actually is (and if it's over 1/infinity), then one can calculate how many santas there are in the universe.
Again, this is taken from the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy but it is all scientifically accepted stuff.

ha! are you sure? see any number divided by a smaller number makes a larger number.... 2 / 1 = 2.... 2 / .5 = 4 so if you use the smallest number '0'.... 2 / 0 = infinately large and is therefore undefined. The same is true for 1... 1/ 0 = [infinity]

so....

1/0 = [infinity] do some simple algebra and mulitply both sides by 0 to simplify the equation.... 1 = [infinity] * 0 anything times 0 = 0 so, we conclude that 1 is actually equal to 0.... 1 = 0. meaning that the probability that santa exists is therefore 0.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Dr. Peaceful Dec 13, 2006, 06:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you have a scientific mind, you should already realized that Santa Claus is no other but our beloved physicist -- Mr. Albert Einstein! See here: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6783/einsteinog0.jpg

In addition to their similar appearance, there's also the similar timeline for their existence. Albert Einstein was famous around 1910 to 1930s. Santa Claus was introduced around 1930s. Not to mention, Einstein was the only one truely understood the theory of relativity and time-space continuum -- the tool essential for Santa Claus to achieve his seemingly impossible parcels (gifts) delivery service.

Read more here, http://www.physorg.com/news2487.html
By the way here's the text of the original post, http://www.physlink.com/Fun/IsThereSanta.cfm

Dr. Peaceful Dec 13, 2006, 08:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jim H, you just raised the thousand years old math paradox! ;)

1/0 not equal to infinity. 1/0 is Undefined! For floating point math, 1/0 = NULL.

0, zero, means nothing. If you combine many nothing(s), you still get nothing! You can NOT get something out of nothing! If you wallet is empty, you can NOT pay for your merchandise. You can't pay nothing to buy something. Get it? ;)

Now think of it this way, division means asking the question -- how many of this thing (denominator) can be combined to form that thing (numerator)? For example, 6 Liters / 3 Liters = 2, meaning you can combine two 3 Liters, say water, to get 6 Liters of water. Make sense. But 6 Liters / 0 Liter does not make any sense, because you can NOT get 6 Liters of water out of no water at all! First law of thermodynamics -- matters can not be created nor destroyed. You can't get water out of nothing! Understand? ;)

0/0 is also undefined. Because the question -- how many nothing(s) can be combined to form nothing, does NOT make sense at all. Nothing is not countable! Can you count how many nothing you have? ;) That's why 0, sometimes is not considered a number at all. It's a symbol for nothing -- an ideal state, that the something in question does not exist at all! We live in a discrete and finite world, so "absolutely nothing" is near impossible to achieve. There is always something in this world, "nothing" will simply disappears, it only gets converted to something else. A black hole is not a nothing, it's simply something big turned into something infinitesimally small.

1/x = infinity, where lim x -> 0. Now this statement is true. See x never equals zero, it only approaches zero.

Clear now? :)

Sean Costello Dec 13, 2006, 09:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Harry K. said:
If you have a scientific mind, you should already realized that Santa Claus is no other but our beloved physicist -- Mr. Albert Einstein! See here: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6783/einsteinog0.jpg

Santa? Or the devil Himself!
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4251/sasfffffffffffffffgk4.jpg

______
Dr. Peaceful Dec 14, 2006, 05:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
LOL, Sean, nice art work. ;)

Bungle Dec 14, 2006, 07:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
[/quote]You can NOT get something out of nothing! If you wallet is empty, you can NOT pay for your merchandise. You can't pay nothing to buy something. Get it?[quote]

What are you talking about? Thats the American way GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT RIGHT NOW AND PAY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

(for 90 days anyway 7.99% variable APR will apply, 7.99% rate based on prime rate + 1.24%... prime rate taken from the last issue of previous months wall street journal. offer contingent on approval, applicant must meet minimum score on credit check. Some fees may apply, not all applicants will qualify. Offer limited to continental United States only, must be legal US resident or US citizen to qualify.) ;)

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Sean Costello Dec 15, 2006, 02:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well said, or you can steal it, either or.

______
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Dec 15, 2006, 06:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
damn who brought this topic up?

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Chris M Dec 16, 2006, 09:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
EiD_Sir_Airman01 said:
damn who brought this topic up?

Me, although by looking through the posts you could have easily figured that out. :)

Your comment could convey the message that you don't approve of this topic being brought back to the top (maybe on account of it being 3 years old). The case could be made that you brought this topic back up by making a new post, thus perpetuating the thread by keeping it at the top of the latest topics list.

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
SuPeR Xp Dec 23, 2006, 12:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
He is created from a pagon ritual or something, to manipulate the true meaning of "Christ"mass. But I still plaster his pictures all over the house :D

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Bob Sanders Oct 21, 2007, 01:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The person who wrote this blog copied it from The University of Queensland... if someonoe was to tell on you, you would be in trouble. And when it says Queen Elizabeth it didn't mean the queen it meant the ship. >:o

Meats_Of_Evil Oct 21, 2007, 01:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Lol you ruined the fun of it. You should have posted on december :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
mothow Oct 21, 2007, 02:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 21, 2007, 03:07pm EDT

Well if there is no Santa then how come Grandma got run over by a Riendeer coming on Christmas Eve.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
TamTheBam Oct 21, 2007, 03:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I should know he exists. I always caught him sneaking into my mum's bedroom when i
was a kid!

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
meg Oct 23, 2007, 06:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bob Sanders said:
The person who wrote this blog copied it from The University of Queensland... if someonoe was to tell on you, you would be in trouble. And when it says Queen Elizabeth it didn't mean the queen it meant the ship. >:o

google the first line:

1. No known species of reindeer that can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not completely rule out flying reindeer

i was copied from EVERYWHERE!

>:o <- my ass

Adam Kolak Oct 23, 2007, 06:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I stopped believing in a god(s) before I stopped believing in Santa Claus.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
FordGT90Concept Oct 23, 2007, 08:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm sure you all have heard about Saint Nicholas. The story of Santa Claus is mythology driven from the Saint Nicholas, non-fiction story. Every fiction story is based on shreds of non-fiction stories.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.