Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 865 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 20 - 12:45pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
adam bechard Apr 14, 2004, 09:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
I have the EXACT same prob...

CPU - P4 2.8c Sent it for RMA, company claimed that Prescotts didn't work with it and sent me a Northwood
MOBO- Asus P4P800 deluxe - called and they blamed i on the cpu but that's now working
VIDEO CARD- radeon 9600 pro 256mb 8x - tested it on dif computer and it works...

and everything else is connected properly, so I'll have to give asus a call. A hint for calling them: call during the day and when they ask to take a msg just ask politely to stay on the line and they answer in another 10-15 minutes

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
David Forney Apr 15, 2004, 08:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 15, 2004, 08:45am EDT

Shned - Yeah - thats your 12V connector

Shned Apr 15, 2004, 08:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah but it Mentioned nothing in the manual.

But as I said, been use to AMD for 12 years no 12V Connector

Intel P4 3.2C @ 3.73Ghz
17" Benq TFT
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Geil 1GB Dual Channeled 4200
2x 200Gb IBM Deskstar
Asus 9800 XT 256Mb
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum EX
David Forney Apr 15, 2004, 08:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Adam-
Yes, Prescott's do work with it - per my earlier post. RMA the mobo - in my case, I bought the replacement locally just in case.. plus with New Egg's restocking fee - which they WILL charge even if it is a DOA you end up paying more if there is a problem. That P4P800 seems like a glitchy board.

And you are definately right about ASUS - forget the message thing - Stay on the line for the 10 - 15 minutes, they don't call back.

adam bechard Apr 15, 2004, 08:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
yeah, I had figured that i needed to rma it. Asus has been having some SERIOUS problems with this though... I've seen this posted in MANY other places and it doesn't seem to be one problem or another... so i tried many of the common ones: Making sure the extra power was going to it, resetting the cmos, making sure the heatsink/fan wasn't on too hard, plugging the fan into the cpu_fan connector, etc, etc and still nothing... maybe those will help some on this board but it's bugging me...

Some User Apr 16, 2004, 01:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I FINALLY FOUND A FIX!!! Replacing the power supply fixed the problem. I actually did try another power supply but it was pulled from my friend's system, which oddly enough, was having the same problem even though the power supply was 550 (mine was 350) and had different cases.

When I went back to the retailer who sold me the case (and the power supply that came with it), I found out the power supply I bought sometimes doesn't push enough power through to the motherboard. I know it sounds silly, but the right kind of power supply really does matter. I paid $26 for the new one, installed it, and now my system purring like a well fed cat.

So, that's it. REPLACE THE POWER SUPPLY (or at least go to a retailer and try a *GOOD* power supply on your system). Hurray!

adam bechard Apr 16, 2004, 08:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyone have any recommendations on a good powersupply to buy that would put enough power through?

David Forney Apr 16, 2004, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Antec TrueBlue 480 has served me well - and Quietly. It has both SATA and Molex power connectors on it by default.. Main thing that drives me crazy is noise.. so it works well..

adam bechard Apr 19, 2004, 09:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not so sure that the powersupply is my problem now(although it could be)... I tested it with only the card, the cpu, and the memory stick, unplugged power to everything BUT the mobo(to see if it was getting the power it needed) and still got that stupid "system failed CPU test" Message. I've got a 420 watt Raidmax power supply that I think should work.. I'm going to have to contact asus with the problem if no one has any other suggestions...

masse patrick Apr 25, 2004, 07:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello !
I'm new on this forum, sorry, my english isn't perfect...
So, i have the same problem: "system failed, cpu test" and this message, also, make me crazy !!!

My config (all is new) :
P4P800-E-Deluxe PCB rev 1.02
P4 2.8C
2 x 512Mo Samsung (model compatible according to ASUS notice)
HD Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120Go
Antec 1080 AMG case with true power 430W
Graphic card MSI FX 5900 XT VTD128 (there is an supplement connector for alimentation, 4 pins like HD, on this card and i plug it)

I have trying the differents solutions and more :
_ without HD +
_ without graphic card +
_ only one DDR dimm +

_ reset the cmos
_ mother board out of the case
_ un-installing + re-installing the cpu

always the same message...

Effectively, with or without graphic card, the message is alway the same.
When the graphic card is installed, his fan don't run, it's incomprehensible...

Without the cpu, the message changes and becomes "no cpu installed", so, this is the only thing which goes correctly on this board !!!

I already have 2 A7N8X deluxe boards from ASUS with XP2000+ & 2800+ which run perfectly... until someone steal them... i'm in rage !!!

Can you help me ???
I haven't an another config to test the differents components...

adam bechard Apr 25, 2004, 10:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try getting a Powersupply with these specifications and see if it'll work then...
300-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 28-32 Amps, +12 Volts @ 10-13 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 24-28 Amps

350-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 32-38 Amps, +12 Volts @ 12-15 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 26-30 Amps

400-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 35-40 Amps, +12 Volts @ 14-18 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 30-34 Amps

450-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 35-40 Amps, +12 Volts @ 18-22 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 35-39 Amps

500-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 35-42 Amps, +12 Volts @ 20-24 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 38-42 Amps

masse patrick Apr 25, 2004, 04:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi, Adam,
i'm very disappointed after more than 1 day to try differents solutions and search on internet for this pb. Nothing (???) on ASUS site (FAQs). There are many people (in many forums) in the same case (also model P4c800... and another) and they didn'nt communicate... this attitude is very negative, i don't understand...
I found a site about p4c800 deluxe with the same pb, and a solution : the pression of the "fan-heatsink" of the Intel box is pressed too much on retention module base of the board with the levers. If there is too much solder under, when this one is pressed, it can make short circuit on the board. So, i disassemble the retention module base to look at (above, under with 10x magnifying glass) and i can see one (of the four) hole very near from one strip circuit, but don't touch it... it's not that...I'have always the same message...

I look at the power supply of my case :
+5v +12v +3.3v -5v -12v +5v sb
max 36A 20A 28A 0.5A 1.0A 2A
min 0A 0.8A 0A 0A 0A 0A

So, only the 3.3v isn't in the tolerances you done.
To morrow, i try an another power supply... i'm tired...

adam bechard Apr 25, 2004, 06:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, I understand what you are saying... I can't seem to find a PSU that works with all of the tolerances, so i'm not really sure what to do.....

David Forney Apr 26, 2004, 10:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Masse -

Sounds like a nearly identical configuration that I had the problem with - if you see my post a while back.

Unfortunately, the solution was to replace the motherboard - But it worked!

masse patrick Apr 27, 2004, 04:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeeessss, it runs !!!

I came back to the retailler of my case/cpu P4 with my mobo, (not the same than the mobo), and there, with an basic power (~ 20 Euros) , it runs ! so, the pb seem to be known by some retailler (of course !!!), and some have the solution... I exchange the power unit of my case, a True power ANTEC 430W (a good power yet), against a thermaltake purepower butterfly 480W (550W peak) and... + 50 Euros... and it runs...
I finish to install materiel, OS and so on and i come back to say if it's always good...

MAYDAY, ASUS, DO SOMETHING OR YOUR REPUTATION IS GOING DOWN !!! IT'S INADMISSIBLE !!!
I don't see anything on your global site about this problem on this mobo...

Ayrton Senna Apr 27, 2004, 06:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> P4P800 DLX: "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" after BIOS ugrade with ASUS Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi !

I got a P4 with P4P800 Deluxe. Everything was working fine until i decide (snif...) to update my BIOS using ASUS Update utility. I download the rom from asus ftp site, erasing flash and then black screen = BLACKOUT !!!!

on next boot:
no video, no mouse, keyboard is sleeping, no way to boot from CD ASUS or a system floopy disk.
CD is working but nothing is coming and the floopy seems not be working now..
Only the dammit "System failed CPU Test"!

My Power Supply and CPU are OK since my pb start only with my bios upgrade.

As everyone suggest, i tried the cmos reset...the ram plug/unplug trick ....NOTHING!

questions:
- why my floopy disk is not working?
- how to overwrite an existing bios when CD and floopy don't want to work?

Any solution before i decide to destroy this F.... motherboard?

Plizzzzzzz

Thomas Tux Apr 28, 2004, 03:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem with my A7N8X Deluxe, but the weired thing is, my computer worked fine for 6 months! I changed the CPU, no effect.
So this power-suply thing works?

adam bechard Apr 28, 2004, 04:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I doubt it in your case unless the ps went bad. In mine(i ordered but haven't recieved my new one yet) and the others' case it didn't work to begin with. My psu is just too small or the voltage/ampage ratings didn't meet the mobo's requirements.

michael brock Apr 28, 2004, 10:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey masse,

Did you say that you removed the antec 430w and replaced it with a Tt purepower 550w or the other way around? Because mine that I got from newegg(P4P800-E DELUXE and P4 2.4C) would'nt even boot,no beeps,nothing tried all the suggestions here except a different psu i'm using antec true 430w.

I have rma'd it and waiting for new one,hoping I dont have to buy a new(different)PSU this antec 430w has worked good for me on my asus p4pe and p4 2.4b that i'm now upgrading to all this.

Mike

Thomas Tux Apr 29, 2004, 11:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just replaced the power-suply with practically the same model(from an other computer) and it works perfect :D
I have a ASUS a7n8x deluxe MB. THNX!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.