Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1043 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 02:54pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Loc Dogg Nov 27, 2007, 08:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
Update:
Power supply did not fix the problem...rma the processor today, this better works or I have no idea what is wrong.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Drew Phillips Nov 28, 2007, 04:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Drew Phillips Nov 28, 2007, 04:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You might want to check and make sure the motherboard's battery is not dead or dying. That caused a board of mine not to work recently until the battery was replaced.

Loc Dogg Nov 28, 2007, 09:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I can't see why the battery might be dead because I just received a new motherboard from Asus RMA on Friday November 23, 2007. But I will put a new battery in there just to be sure that the battery is not the problem.

Loc Dogg Nov 28, 2007, 10:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Apparently Asus has sent me a motherboard with a dead battery(verified using fluke)...So I went out to my local Walgreen and bought a new battery in hopes of it will fix my computer. Unfortunately the new battery did not fix it...so I'm taking out my CPU and proceeding to RMA it.

Loc Dogg Dec 07, 2007, 08:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Update: Intel sent me a new box retail processor on December 7, 2007. Installed and still says system fail cpu test! I rma the motherboard and received a new one, bought a new corsair power supply, rma the cpu and received a new one. Rams and processor works fine on another computer. Bought a new cmos battery. All hard drives/cd drives works fine before computer started chanting annoying message. I don't know what else I can do! Someone please help me out here I'm all out of ideas...

Bill Winkelman Dec 25, 2007, 11:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know if this will help you. My computer has the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board, the AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton Core CPU, and a video card with 256 MB memory. I stuck three 1GB memory cards into the slots for memory. Recently I started hearing the chant "CPU failed test, CPU failed test, CPU failed test..." After enough times, the monitor screen would go black and the computer would reboot, only to repeat the chant.
The video display would also go to hell; scrolling became slow and wavy.
I got a hunch that the power supply unit might not be supplying enough voltage. I had an Antec 500W PSU, but I've also been seeing a forum of disappointed users on the 'Net. So I replaced that PSU with the Tiger Pro 350W PSU that came with the computer case. Presto chango! Everything worked, and the little lady hasn't said anything since.

Bill Winkelman Dec 25, 2007, 11:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know if this will help you. My computer has the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board, the AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton Core CPU, and a video card with 256 MB memory. I stuck three 1GB memory cards into the slots for memory. Recently, after installing an extra cooling fan, I started hearing the chant "CPU failed test, CPU failed test, CPU failed test..." After enough times, the monitor screen would go black and the computer would reboot, only to repeat the chant.
The video display would also go to hell; scrolling became slow and wavy.
I got a hunch that the power supply unit might not be supplying enough voltage. I had an Antec 500W PSU, but I've also been seeing a forum of disappointed users on the 'Net. So I replaced that PSU with the Tiger Pro 350W PSU that came with the computer case.
Presto chango! Everything worked, and the little lady hasn't said anything since.
So don't presume your PSU is good, no matter what the reputation. Get it tested. Too low a voltage to the CPU will cause continual failure. Too low a voltage to the rest of the computer can also burn things out (e.g., hard drives), because amperage increases to try to compensate for the power lost from lower voltage. The heat generated in everything increases exponentially with increased current.

Loc Dogg Dec 30, 2007, 04:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 30, 2007, 04:31am EST

Blaine Coyne Feb 06, 2008, 10:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We all know this is about rediculous. I, with the belief that my

Blaine Coyne Feb 06, 2008, 11:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> This is all about rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With the belief my cpu went out because of a severe thunderstorm... I purchased a new cpu chip and a heatsink/fan combo. $160.00
That wasn't the problem.
So I ordered a refurbished motherboard of the same (for more money than the new, and no accesseries). Both we're Asus P4P800-E DELUXE (because I liked the first one). $289.00 + s&h
Living with 2 cpu's, 2 heatsink and fans, and 2 Asus P4P800-E DELUXE motherboards w/ glitches. And waiting for a reply from Asus after the Chinese New Year!
&%$@#$* PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions? Already tried new psu; not it!
Video card... do I really have to spend more money?
I think I should have a lot of re-imbursments coming from Asus

Marc Trepanier Mar 14, 2008, 04:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
mobo: ASUS A8V deluxe

initial symptom: marvell gigabit lan would crash system upon enabling & 50/50 chance of it booting properly to begin with

next symptom: dreaded "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"

checked for solder blob = none on this board

changed power supply with Dell PS I had lying around = booted fine, gigabit lan works!!

so check your power supplies!!!

Dennis Foreman Apr 05, 2008, 08:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST" another clue?
I've seen almost all the "CPU FAILED" posts since 2004 and figued I'd add my 2 cents. Hope it gives someone a clue.

P4P800E-dlx,
ATI radeon 9600GT,
Athenatech 450W PSU, (replaced original Antec 350)
Prescott 3.0GHz not overclocked (was up to 3.3, but backed it off)
2.5 GB RAM (no overclocking ever)
USB keybd & monitor
Scythe MINE cooler

I don't always get the CPU FAILED msg, but when I do, I power off and re-hit the power switch again. Repeat until I see the Disk I/O light go on, then it's all OK. Sometimes works on 1st retry, sometimes up to 8 times. Once it's on, it will run for weeks (until I turn it off).

Problem started when I installed the cooler. I have pulled the cooler & re-installed. No diff. (Temp is 44C at idle, 55 running full-bore according to Speedfan, so the cooler is working.)

I have noticed that, when the msg occurs, I also don't get all device LED's to go on (2 burners, floppy, zip).

J Dean Jun 18, 2008, 12:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a A8V-E Deluxe MB, Athlon 64 4000+ single core CPU, 2GB ram / Corsair & OCZ 512x4 / 8600GTS MSI (installed in Sept07) - installed TT 600w PSU to handle ATX 2.0 power to Video card at the same time-Sept07. - OS: Windows XP Home
Been running this setup (minus the video/PSU) for years now. Recently - within last couple of months - started getting the "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST" upon reboot but would clear after a couple of attempts, and like other posters decided to just leave my machine turned on, and bring it back from standby with no issues.
After installing a new driver for a webcam got prompted to reboot *cringe* - rebooted, and now the woman yells at me continuously and nothing is seeming to do the trick.
###Steps taken one at a time: ###
Unplugged all USB/Firewire/Network cables.
Unplugged CD-ROM/DVD-RW
Unplugged Floppy
Unplugged HD
Removed all RAM + inserted 1 of each stick at a time into slots A1
Jumped CMOS
Removed GPU
Removed battery from board for & replaced.
Replaced CPU with known good 3000+
Let computer cool for 3+ hrs

No luck.

Going to buy a new PSU with at least 18A on the 12v rail. (regardless of wattage)

It's either this, or replace the MOBO = new CPU = new RAM = new OS install = $$$ + Time.
All for a Webcam driver (sort of).

I'll report back with the findings.

Jim Mulvenna Jun 30, 2008, 06:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have ASUS A8V Deluxe, AMD 64 3200+ CPU, Radeon AGP x1650, ATX 500w PSU.
Am getting SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST on boot. Will boot on several attempts or if left on for a while with message (about 5mins), always boots next time. Its like its warming up.
Works well when boots up and Ok if left on. Although message re-sufaces when playing high graphic games and needs rebooted. Discovered this forum and seems to be holy grail for this problem after searching elsewhere. Took earlier advice and:
Removed AGP vga card- same message-won't boot
Replaced with older AGP card-same message
4* 500MB stcks removed one by one-same message
switched stick pairs over - no Joy
Re-seated CPU. It looks fine-no marks, Fresh thermal paste on heatsink.
I assume with hope that CPU and MOBO are good, as system works pretty good if left on.
Is my next logical step the PSU or are there other boards I can pull or should I try with discs/floppy unplugged or external devices unplugged.
Hell, anythings worth a go!
The PC is great for my usage but its sending my son up the wall. Will have to buy him laptop to get him off my back!
Cheers for any help..

tom houghton Apr 06, 2009, 10:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
this recently happened to me and a friend suggested the simple fix of changing the battery on the mother board.
Amazingly it has been fixed.
Hope this works for you.

willie fair Nov 06, 2011, 04:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just posted something for the first time here, and I may be onto something!!! As I look at the motherboard, just behind the Parallel port connection reside 3 capacitors!!!! They appear to be slightly swollen with the X on top not quite popped. I am going to attempt to test the capacitors with a mufti mete and see what I get from the test. I have tried everything everyone else has tried and nothing was premanent.

I did read an article about some bad CHINESE made capacitors, but can't find the blog. It said to purchase ones made in JAPAN to replace whats there. DO"T know, but gonna try.

Hope I'm right!!! Had the same problem with a HP Printer and changed the CHINESE made capacotors with Japanese made ones and it works just fine.

wcfair4102

willie fair Nov 06, 2011, 04:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Without a schematic to the ASUS K8V MB, I may have found the solution, or a least one that I haven't seen mentioned here. There are THREE (3) capacitors just behind the parallel port on the MB. Mone are swollen and not quite popped ( the X on top is not broken, bur ready to).

I read a blog last week about bad capacitors from CHINA causing frustrating problems and confusion. I have a HP Printer (C6518) that had a similar issue with power down not powering off. It was the 3 or 4 capacitors that control the power button /on/off . They were CHINESE MADE and I went to an electronics ham radio store and got replacements ( JAPANESE MADE) capacitors. Changed 3 of them and havent had the problem again.

I haven't un-soldered the MB yet, but I'm willing to bet this this is the culprit. Seems everything points to these CAPACITORS!!!

Anybody else got something I'm ready to listen!!!

Willie

Matt Seil Nov 06, 2011, 05:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, I determined this to be bad capacitors back at the time that I participated in this forum. MOST caps you're going to get these days DO come from China, so if you're China-adverse, best wishes to you.

Back in '07, my solution was to buy an ABIT board at the time that used Rubycon caps, a Japanese company. What boards use Rubycons these days? I haven't the foggiest, and ABIT isn't the company it once was, either.

But bad caps were definitely the culprit I could find back in '07.

mike sarkadi Nov 06, 2011, 10:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I still have 2 of these motherboards and have had 2 failures so far and both times it was the graphics card. Sometimes it can be the power supply too.
However I have upgraded to I7 technology now on an x58 motherboard and it's 10 times faster now.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.