Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 868 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 20 - 10:46am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Mertsi Merimies Jul 18, 2005, 01:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
Thanks for the reply.
I will try the things you suggested but here is an update:
I took the Maxtor to a friend to see if it works in his setup. His system detected the Maxtor HD but he could not see the content of the disk.
I then had the Seagate formatted by a friend and when I try to start my PC with XP installation CD in the CD-rom and the Seagate as the only hard disk (master), I got "NTLDR missing" message. So I do not know if this is a hard disk only related problem.
I will try the solutions you suggested and let you know what happens. It could take a few days since I do not have an internet connection at the moment!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Davy Dane Jul 18, 2005, 08:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try this on your friends computer with your MAXTOR. You need to pull out your friends HD and make sure it's set to MASTER not CABLE SELECT. Your MAXTOR should be set to SLAVE. I never use CABLE SELECT on any of my HD because sometimes you run into this problem of not detecting. In case you don't know the MASTER plugs into the BLACK connection and the SLAVE plugs into the GREY(middle) connection. After you connect both HD and if it still doesn't detect you might have to go into BIOS and choose DETECT IDE DEVICES and save and exit.

Carlos X Jul 20, 2005, 08:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a p4, 2.4 gig on a pentium MB with 1.0 gig DDR Ram. i have 2 seagate st3200822A hard drives hooked up on my system. I've been getting the following problem alot over the last couple of months and the only way i've resolved it was by reformating my HD and reinstalling windows XP SP2.

here's the problem. my system works fine for a couple of weeks but every now and then, for some strange reason, i get the following message after rebooting my system:

"A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

windows won't load up. i've checked the bios to ensure that the system is recognizing the the hard drive and it does. i'm frustrated with this. i've read the previous threads and it seems that formating on fat32 is the only solution. are there any updates from microsoft that fixes the problem without having the convert to fat32?

i have to reformat my HD and reinstall windows xp sp2 again tonight!! how would I go about formating my drive to fat32?

Dublin_Gunner Jul 20, 2005, 09:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Carlos.

Microsoft did indeed release fixes for win2k problems with NTFS not reading data etc. You might wanna check windows update for an XP fix if one exists.

If you wanna re-install and want fat32, you can simply chose fat32 when formatting the drive with the windows disk

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Carlos X Jul 20, 2005, 02:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 20, 2005, 02:49pm EDT

dublin, whenever I go through the setup for winXP, it gives me 2 options to format

NTFS (quick)
NTFS (full)

no, fat32 option

perhaps its because i have a large disc. >137gig.

are there any other solutions beside converting to fat32?

Dublin_Gunner Jul 21, 2005, 04:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hmmmmm, thought it should give you the option. The size of your disk shouldnt really matter. You can always use the built in windows format to change a partition to fat32.

I would search for fixes for NTFS for XP though.....

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
alan wal Aug 08, 2005, 01:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for all your help. I got this dreaded message last week.

Put in the XP cd but recovery console would not work. Had to reformat the drive and reinstall. It took several attempts to reformat the drive. I got a message that the drive was damaged. I deleted the partition, reformatted and reinstalled windows XP.

This problem arised after signing up with Tiger Gaming for online Texas Hold em. Was this just a coincidence? Could it have been a hacker getting into my computer?

Thanks for saving me the cost of a new hard drive which is what I though the problem was. Everything is working fine now.

Mike Miller Aug 08, 2005, 08:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok here is my version of the same type of emotional trauma. Apologies for the non-techy descriptions.

System:

Athlon 1.4
512 PC 2700 DDR
Samsung 120GB
XP sp2
Nvidia GForce
Gigabyte motherboard (dont have dets to hand)

Restarted comp to receive message that 'windows started abnormally, apologies etc please choose from safe mode, last known good config or start normally' as I had no idea why on this particular start up it decided on offering me these choices I went for start normally (the only difference between this and the 1000 other start ups was that I had opened the tower and fiddled with the lead for the internal DVD. Why? You ask. I just do not know) The loading bar appeared at the bottom of the screen, all looked good then I was back at the BIOS start up screen only to be offered the choices once more. In panic I went through this loop 6-7 more times only to be finally be confronted with the spine chilling 'disk read error'. After convincing myself that there was no poss of getting sodding windows to start I brought out the xp CD. After loading files etc, at the 'starting windows' stage it freezes up. The same error occurred before on my old HD which I assumed had died and replaced. This one is at most 3 months old and so I am beginning to doubt either has corrupted.

Any suggestions on how I can get windows to start up. I was thinking to get another smaller HD to put OS on but would really rather not have to if the HD is as I suspect ie A-OK.

Have messed about with BIOS settings to no avail. The HD is currently in the BIOS as secondary master with DVD drive as primary slave. Could this be an issue? I will follow previous instructions about setting the pins on the back as master and poss swap DVD and HD IDE slots and see if any of that tricks it. Otherwise I am stuck.

Can anyone tell me if there is anyother way to get windows to start up bearing in mind I cannot get a command prompt and only have USB floppy and an internal CD/DVD.

Ta very much

Mike Miller Aug 08, 2005, 06:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
An update to my prev post;

Followed advice already posted to change jumper pins and hardwire a HD as a master rather than leave motherboard to decide..

This fixed the problem. All hail those who know what they are on about

Davy Dane Aug 09, 2005, 01:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
******READ THIS IT WILL HELP YOU******

There are a lot of people with this problem so I thought I'd write this post to help some people out.

Some things you should know:

If your computer ever improperly shuts down due to a power failure
make sure you run a check disk and repair bad sectors as soon as you reboot it.
You can do this by right clicking on the local hard drive c:
(or the drive windows is installed on) properties, and click tools - error checking - check now.
Check both boxes - automatically fix file system errors AND scan for and attempt recovry of bad sectors.
It will say it cannot scan now and ask you if you want to scan disk the next time you start up. Choose yes
then reboot your computer.

You should do this at least once every 2 months just as routine maintenance even if
you don't have an improper shut down.

When connecting HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD ect. to your computer you should follow
these standards.

Don't connect a HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD to the same IDE port.
Connect the HD to IDE 1 and Connect the CDROM/CDRW/DVD to IDE 2 unless
You have an SATA HD then you can connect the CDROM/CDRW/DVD to IDE 1 but still never
connect a HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD on the same IDE port.

I believe there are now new DVD drives that run at 100 speed (DMA 5). If you have a 100/133 Speed
HD and a 100 speed DVD drive then it's ok to connect to the same IDE port.

When setting jumpers on HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD drive always set the master to
"MASTER ONLY" and the slave to "SLAVE".

NEVER CHOOSE "MASTER W/ SLAVE (even if you have a slave)" or "CABLE SELECT" or "32 GB LIMIT".

Make sure you have the correct speed cable on your HD. You need a 133 speed cable on your HD. It's the thinner
cable with the coloured end. The thicker cable for your CDROM/CDRW/DVD only runs at 66 (DMA 4).

One way of checking the speed of your HD is by going to the device manager/IDE Controllers right clicking on the channel
and choose advanced settings. Your HD should be set to DMA 5 or DMA 6 (primary IDE). If it's DMA 4 then you
have the wrong speed cable connected to your HD.

Plug the Black end connector of your cable in your "MASTER" and the grey middle connector in your "SLAVE".
Never plug the middle grey in the MASTER.

Now for the fun part:
If you ever get this message: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
follow these steps to save you a bunch of headaches.

Most people think this has to be a HD problem but that's not true. I had this problem when I had a bad VIDEO CARD,
RAM, and MODEM before.

STEP 1:
First of all make sure it isn't a hardware or RAM issue by removing all the hardware that's
connected to your computer including SOUNDCARD, MODEM, LAN, CDROM/CDRW/DVD, FLOPPY A:,
HardDisk (slaves), KEYBOARD, MOUSE, VIDEO CARD and RAM.

So now all you should have connected to your computer is your MASTER HD (remove all SLAVES) and CPU. Nothing else.

Borrow a KEYBOARD, MOUSE, VIDEO CARD and RAM from a friend and try to reboot it.

STEP 2:
After you knows it's not a hardware or RAM issue then your partition is probably unmounted. Ther are only 2
ways I know of to fix this.

Method 1:
Take out your HD and take it a friends house thats running windows XP. Take your HD cable with you so you
have the correct 133 speed cable. Plug your HD into your friends IDE 2 port as a MASTER. Your friend probably has a CDROM
plugged into this port, just unplug it and put in your HD (with 133 cable). This way you don't have to mess around
setting jumpers on your friend HardDisk. After you do that boot the computer and go into windows. Go to
my computer - right clicking on your hard drive - properties, and click tools - error checking - check now.
Check both boxes - automatically fix file system errors AND scan for and attempt recovry of bad sectors - ok.
This should fix your problem.

Method 2:
Put in the WINDOWS XP SETUP DISK and boot from the CDROM. When you get options to install windows choose:
PRESS R FOR RECOVERY CONSOLE - then choose your windows installation.

when you get in the recovery console type this in:

cd \ (this will take you to the root probably c:)

chkdsk /p/r (this will run checkdisk and repair all the bad sectors on your HD)

If all of the above fails then you might try flashing your mainboard BIOS.

good luck and I hope this helps!!!!!

Lawrence O. Wilson Aug 09, 2005, 07:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mertsi Merimies

1 You stated that you Operating System is on the MAXTOR 80GB hard drive (PRIMARY) and that you were using the SEGATE 6GB as a slave.

You will have problems changing your OS drive to Slave and your
Slave to Primary. Too, you have to check the BOOT ORDER in the BIOUS, the system will try to boot from the disks as shown in
The Boot order!

2. Installing Windows XP
A You already have partitions on the MAXTOR drive.
Pull the power on the SEGATE drive
You must have WINDOWS XP that you purchased with a serial number.
Set the BIOUS to boot from CD, second boot from MAXTOR
Install WINDOWS XP in a different partition than C:
Watch your screen so that you do not allow Windows to
Start a second time from the CD!
Do not install any devices or network except your DVD or
CD Burner.
Back up all files that you want, do not back up software.
After you have backed up your software and be sure to EXPORT your PST files from your e-mail to your back Up data.
Disconnect your system from the internet
REINSTALL WINDOWS XP
When the setup lets you decide where to install XP
DELETE all Partitions
Make a 15GB Partition
Format and install windows in that partition!
Install all software/hardware in the same partition before you
connect your Computer to the Internet. Make sure that you
install XP Service Packs 1, 2 and patches for SP2, otherwise
your system WILL malfunction! Also make a backup of the
whole C: partition, and make sure that your ANTIVIRUS and
FIREWALL are running, then set up your internet. Go to all
Software/hardware venders that you are using and down load their
Latest XP drivers!
Reconnect your SEGATE Drive

Create a MY Documents in another Partition, create folders for
Each software in the My Documents folder. Start up each program,
Go to TOOLS and modify the SAVE/STORE address to the correct
Folder in the My Documents folder that you just created

Mike Miller Aug 10, 2005, 06:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Very good advice in these posts above but still drastic when it seems we all have perfectly functioning HDs and there should be no reason other than the unrealiably erratic nature of windows that they do not run.

Before re-formating and/or reinstalling your OS and the pain in the arse all this entails I strongly advise fiddling with your jumper pins as per the instructions on the info sticker stuck to the side of the HD and if poss swap IDE port with your CD ROM. This worked for me much to my relief. If you keep recieving the Bill Gates 'Disk Read Error' insult then follow the vastly superior advice above.

mike deltito Aug 15, 2005, 05:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I need help in the worst way. I am having a difficult time with my gf's computer. All i had done was try to reinstall windows. I popped in the disk, tried to boot from CD, didnt work. Then i went into the BIOS, but it was already the first boot device. Then i tried selecting the drive after POST, still no booting. It spins up the disk and then nothing. There is no floppy drive in the box.

Ok, i thought, i just toss the HD in my computer, do the first part of the install where booting from cd is required, and then ill swap back and finish it. Then i saw the first DISK READ ERROR. So i figured it was just because of how i swapped it. So i finished up the install on my computer, and then tried switching it back over (i have done this many times before on other machines, and it worked). Still the same error. I tried switching IDE channels and i got a BSOD with an error code. It seems like the computer wont recognize the info on the drive, it even reports it as being 30000 megs free (its a 30gb drive). Any ideas??

I cant tell if its the IDE channels being shot, or something else. But the DISK is fine, it works on 2 other boxes. I need to know how i can get windows back up and running on this machine. It is very urgent, as it is for a collage student who leaves in a few days.

Dave Slomer Aug 20, 2005, 07:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The best advice I've seen in this long thread is from Alexander Splinter in December 2004 on this page:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/19004/?o=60

He calls most of what he'd seen by that point "mystical workarounds" and gives a really good analysis, but unfortunately no solution. I'd read his post if I were you. I think he's right on the $$$.

Of course, I'm having this problem, too, but [lucky me] ONLY when I try to boot to Recovery Console [RC]. This has been an ongoing problem, fixed ONCE simply by providing HDD drivers from a floppy when RC gave me the opportunity. Now I don't get that far. Once I select RC from my boot menu, I get the message immediately. Used to be I only got error {BSOD STOP 7B} upon trying to enter RC after some disk and screen activity.

My drive is SATA /AHCI. Bios SATA operation is set to the default "if signed drive, RAID auto / AHCI." This should NEVER be changed with my current hardware. But Dell had me try setting SATA operation to "Combination SATA/PATA" and I got into RC! But that was just luck, since XP did NOT work afterward. Dell's lame advice to do monkey with BIOS was risky at best and not any kind of solution. [Another Dell suggestion was to switch to SATA/ATA. Even worse.] I guess they figure it's easy to just send me a new HDD if their advice screws me. Of course, they started off with the invaluable usual advice "reformat" that I rejected out of hand. In fact, they offered to send me a new HDD. Big help.

Main thing: I didn't have to reformat. I spent more time getting to where I am today than I would have reformatting, but what a learning experience.

But it really was obvious that I didn't have to reformat, all things considered. If all works fine IN Windows and NOT fine BEFORE getting into Windows, what else COULD the problem have been? Especially since STOP error message 7B "means" INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and is "known" to be caused by improperly installed drive hardware or SOFTWARE [driver, in this case] that controls the hardware.

So much for Dell's "mystical workaround". The actual solution was to provide floppy with HDD drivers on the SETUP or RC screen that says "Press F6 if you have SCSI drivers on a floppy" [or words to that effect] and then wait for the screen saying "Press S to install drivers" [or words to that effect]. Problem solved.

So why am I here, now, if I fixed it already?

Since installing and running Partition Magic and making repartitioning my HDD a few days ago, I can no longer use the boot option to get to RC. I CAN use the WIN XP OS install CD to get there. Don't want to. Takes too long. Shouldn't have to.

Anyway, I'm posting just to say that it's probably NOT something complex or deadly that is wrong. Your HDD is probably OK. Its cables are too. Don't open the case. Don't mess with BIOS, unless it's set wrong because, oh, say, Dell told you to do so, just to get you off the phone/keep you on the phone longer.

You "NUMB3RS" TV fans might recall a reference to "Occam's Razor" in an episode: "The simplest explanation is the best."

When I solve MY problem, I'll get back here [not saying what month or year], hoping it might help you, just as maybe my previous solution [above] might help. Meanwhile, look for some simple solution. If the solution is complex, it's probably not really a solution as much as a coincidence. [Like: "Shut down. Turn off the PC. Unplug it from the wall socket AFTER powering off the power strip. Wait 20--no--30 minutes. Chant "farleyfarleyfarleyfarleyfarley" and start it up. Worked for me. The third time. But not since."]

And I'm waiting for an email showing more activity on this thread with a solution that somebody found that might contain a clue to help ME! I really don't want to spend days on this again!

Dave S

Dave Slomer Aug 20, 2005, 07:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What lame software runs this forum!

I type a 500-word essay, press post, and am told I didn't supply a valid username! [I had JUST registered.] Sends me back to BLANK message body!

Luckily, because of lameness such as this [and I've seen worse], I always use Notebook to type all posts and emails and the like.

Grr.

Gerritt Aug 20, 2005, 09:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hows this for a kink?
When I attempt to boot my system I get a flashing cursor then finally a No boot device found.
I unplug my External USB2 active hub and the system boots right up.
After getting the Windows splash screen I can plug the hub back in and everything is fine, system runs rock solid.
I have several IO devices plugged into other USB ports and they don't seem to cause any problem. I've swapped out the active HUB and get the same indications. It's a supermicro MB, but I can't find any references to this particular bug. If anyone has a fix for a Active USB hub causing HD Controller failure please let me know. BTW the HDDs are attached to a Promise Tech SATA RAID controller.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Dave Slomer Aug 20, 2005, 03:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If your error isn't exactly "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" you should really start a new thread. This one is too long and you'll get more response to YOUR problem if you start new.

Scott Frank Aug 24, 2005, 09:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Perfect weather outside, power flickered twice. After the second time but machine got a disk read error. Tried repair console with chkdsk and fixboot. No go. Changed IDE cables. No go. Brought the HD over to another machine as a slave (was master on the other) and it can be read PERFECTLY. Any suggestions?

Roger Cable Aug 29, 2005, 12:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this same problem. I was able to correct it with a program called BootIt NG. When I went into the tools on this and tried to view the properties of my active partition(where windows XP was supposed to boot from) it came up with an error and asked if I wanted to fix it. I said yes, and then BootIt NG booted the operating system for me. If you are still struggling with this problem I would suggest getting this program at http://www.bootitng.com and see if it helps. It is a 30 day trial, but I expect once it has found and fixed your problems you can uninstall it, and continue booting without it. If not It's only $35.00. But if it can fix this problem I think $35 is a cheap price to not have to worry about it anymore.

Good Luck to all.

Dave Slomer Sep 03, 2005, 09:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Two weeks ago, I wrote: "When I solve MY problem, I'll get back here ... hoping it might help ... Meanwhile, look for some simple solution. If the solution is complex, it's probably not really a solution as much as a coincidence. ... I really don't want to spend days on this again!"

Well, the solution to my problem, which was that I ALWAYS got a blue screen or Disk Read Error when trying to boot to recovery console [RC], was not simple, since I was on unfamiliar ground, and it took more days and more Googling and reading and screwing up than I care to admit. More about my problem on page 8 of this thread if interested.

But I fixed it.

The problem was that the Windows retail driver for my hard drive controller won't work when booting to RC. I could make RC work by pressing F6 and using a floppy with the right OEM drivers, and so spent a lot of time and energy to avoid it, since that's a pain in the butt, and I knew it wasn't necessary.

But that's all it was: figuring out how to supply the driver from hard drive instead of floppy. The blue screens and Disk Read Errors were caused by wrong driver. Once I figured out how to provide the driver, the errors went away and I can boot to RC with no problems.

Nothing wrong with hard drive. No jumpers to change. Nothing physical, but in the interface nevertheless, but at the logical level. Just a driver. Simple, except it took a lot of churning to figure out how to supply it. Since the boot process for RC is different than normal booting, it was a challenge. In the end, it was halfway obvious. But only in hindsight. I wouldn't want to have to do it again in a year. Not sure I could. Or would.

Look for a simple solution, yes; but don't expect to have the simple solution fall in your lap without some sweat.

I'd post what I did, but it would be a play by play description, replete with errors and restarts, and it would be very long and hard to follow. I'm not sure I even could reproduce it. If I can use what I think I learned to simplify it, I'll post it later.

Just a driver.

Dave Slomer

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.