Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1348 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 12:53pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
soul assassin Apr 23, 2004, 02:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
I've also got the same problem.
It all begain when I installed Mandrake 10, then I couldn't boot to Windows XP.
So, I deleted all the Unix partitions, and then I got this error. I've tried fixmbr (via XP repair), fdisk /mbr, installing it on a FAT32 partition (yet with other NTFS partitions in use), and nothing works. I really need to know what the problem is, I've got 180GB of arhive data that needs to be saved! Please, save me!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Eric Schmidt Apr 23, 2004, 03:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow, 180GB of important data. Do try to back it up before going any further if it means that much to you. Does your BIOS see the HDD at all? If so, use Ghost or another DOS based backup utility to copy to another HDD.

Richie Apr 23, 2004, 08:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so. NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, use the fixboot command.

Richard J Hansen
- Shonsu Apr 26, 2004, 03:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 27, 2004, 05:22pm EDT

This is not just a Maxtor problem

I had the same problem TWICE with two different drives.

1) Brand new 120GB Western Digital installed with XP pro using NTFS file system. After a couple days I got a *read disk error*. I reformated (still using XP pro and NTFS) and things worked fine for a couple of days and then I got a nother *read disk error*... This process was repeated several more times always ending with the same *read disk error!

2) Friday I replaced the Drive with a brand new 80GB Seagate. Installed XP pro using NTFS file system, and sunday night POOF the same darn *read disk error*.

Looks like I'm going to have to give FAT32 a try.

--------------------
AMD A64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Dual Core
DFI NF4 UltraII-M2 Mobo
BFG 7900 GS
2 GB Geil DDR2 PC2 5300 Dual Channel
Seagate 250 gig Sata
600 watt Cooler Master PSU
19 " View Sonic LCD
Windows XP Pro
Jamie Adams Apr 28, 2004, 07:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got this error this morning when copying a ripped DVD from one partition to another.
The copying process took quite a long time. About 2/3's of the way through, my computer just restarted without warning. It then produced "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart".

I did this several times getting nowhere. I checked through the BIOS, and all drives are being recognised.

I shall try the above mentioned 'fixes'.

What annoys me, is that (if the problem is OS related) the only way to find out about problems such as these and/or repair them is to look up on the internet.
I only have the one computer, so if the computer messes up, then I'm a bit stuck. The only way I can get to the internet is at college (where I am now).
I really dont want to format the hard drive, because I have lots of files I must keep.
When I last formatted the hard drive, I created 3 partitions in case of something like this.

Is there any OS alternative which wont give as much hassle as Windows ? I know there is Linux, but there are so many different types out there, and am not sure which to get/download.

Spec of PC:
AMD 2.5+ghz
Maxtor (I think) 120gb Drive (in 3 partitions)
Corshair DDR400 512MB RAM
GeForce 4 Ti4800
Shuttle XPC Case

Leif Fernqvist Apr 28, 2004, 04:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I actually ran into this problem after some other problems. I have my computer configured with two partitions on one disk and XP as OS. One partition for the system and one for my data. One day when I started my machine it started to boot but unexpected rebooted every time. No visible/readable error message, just a very quick blue screen. When I got into the repair console on the XP Cd I found out that the partitions had switched place, so my C drive had become D: and the D drive had become C: The partitions also had changed from primary to extended with a logical partition.... very strange anyway... The solution for this little mess was to use Partition Magic to switch back the partitions so that my C drive once again had the possibility to be a C drive. When everything seemed to be fixed in Partition Magic I restarted the computer and the I got the error message "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" I tried the Fixboot, FixMBR and also the CHKDSK /r but nothing helped me out until I once again went into Partition Magic and converted the file system to FAT32. After conversion of the file system the computer started and everything worked OK ! I haven't converted the file system back to NTFS yet so I don't know if the problem will occur again if I do so. //Leif

justin menking May 03, 2004, 11:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem, although mine isn't quite as easy to fix. I have 2 hard drives, and one gives me the error. Although I can view and edit all of my files with windows on my second drive, I cant fix the first. When I boot from a floppy with partition magic, I get an error message before the program even starts, and fixboot, fixmbr, and chkdsk /r all do nothing. Any suggestion?

Jamie Adams May 05, 2004, 05:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I managed to fix the problem on my computer on Saturday.

Basically, I used a legal copy of Win XP-Pro to repair the current Windows install on drive C. The problem with this is that the previous install came with SP1, and the new repair didnt. I did a repair anyway, but found numerous problems, and my Broadband connection did not work because Windows was not setting up the network conections.
So using the XP CD, I booted with the CD to the 16bit screen. I followed the instructions to install Windows (I did intend to install on another partition or another Windows folder) and found that the install screen I was in, was able to delete the current Windows folder and install a fresh new XP.
After installing the new XP, I then (and still am) reinstalling programs so that Windows can see them. However, because of the version of XP I have I was prone to the Blaster Virus as soon as I got onto the net.

So far, Windows seems ok. I might format anyway just to get everything back to basics.

Richard Homeyer May 05, 2004, 08:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> new virus similar to blaster
Be aware that there is a new virus out that behaves similar to the blaster virus (shuts down your system). If you have this, removal tools for the blaster virus will not work.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx
Symantec has a removal tool avalable (or check with whatever virus software company you use).

Vishal Harji May 05, 2004, 09:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

Can anyone help, please?

Yesterday I ran liveupdate on Norton Firewall 2003, it asked me to restart my machine with the usual dialogue box. Having restarted I get the above error message before Windows XP starts "A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart." I have tried restarting but no joy. Also, the system will not boot from floppy drive and when I try to reinstall or repair the system does not go any further than displaying "Windows is checking your system hardware" (the first thing it displays after you choose to boot from CD). Then after 5 seconds the screen goes completely black.

Please advise if anyone has a solution.

I can get into bios but that is about all I can do.

Op. System:
Windows XP SP1

Thanks,
Vish
vjharji@yahoo.co.uk

Larry Fuss May 05, 2004, 09:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm getting the same error on a fairly new Western Digital 160 gb drive. I've run chkdsk /r to no avail. I've also run WD's own diagnostic utility, both the Quick Test and the Extended Test. Both tests say "no errors", yet I still get the same error every time I try to boot. In other words, the drive has no errors, but I still get a disk error. Makes sense, huh? A WD support tech said "we only have those problems with drives running Windows, so it must be a Microsoft problem". Geez, aren't like 95% of all drives running Windows? Does anybody have any idea how to fix this problem?

Daniel Franks May 06, 2004, 10:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This does appear to be a Windows problem. As to what causes the problem, that is still unknown. All I can tell you is try all of the fixes in this thread and if that doesn't work try to back up the data that you don't want to loose on that hdd and format in FAT32 then reinstall Windows.

Larry Fuss May 06, 2004, 11:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have tried all the fixes in the thread. I tried chkdsk /r, I tried fixmbr, I tried fixboot, and I tried both of Western Digital's diagnostic utilities, all to no avail. I'd love to do a backup, but how do I backup when I can't even get the computer to load Windows and boot up? I can't even get it to boot into safe mode. If this is a Windows problem, sounds like somebody at Microsoft needs to get a fix done quickly. This is aggravating!!!

Ernie Garcia May 06, 2004, 02:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same issue when I was trying to reformat my system with windows 2000 pro. After trying several things I checked my ribbon cables and the secondary ribbon had been ripped, so check your ribbon cables carefully for any rips. After changing the ribbon cable, never saw the issue again.

-Ernie

Daniel Franks May 06, 2004, 02:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In reference to running a backup... do you have a zip/jaz/extra hdd? Do you know someone who does that would let you borrow it? Also there are data recovery facilities that you can take the harddrive to. Also it may be a long shot but install windows again to a different folder on that same hdd, or run a repair install.

Larry Fuss May 06, 2004, 03:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I replaced the ribbon cable. Now I'm getting an error that says "Drive Not Ready - System Halted". Aaaaaaaaargh!

Graham Roberts May 09, 2004, 08:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I had exact same problem, I tried every fix mentioned and the only one that worked was? I changed the cable!! It took 3 days and nights to sort this out so I would suggest change the cable first then if no success try evreything else.

Best of Luck Everyone!!

Kelly Shipp May 13, 2004, 11:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had the exact same problems as well. I've had this problem on FOUR Maxtor 160gig drives and on one Maxtor 120gig drive. All of these within the past two months. Extremely aggrevating! I've tried doing everything mentioned in this newsgroup, except converting to FAT32. I've tried all the fixboot, fixmbr, and chkdsk /r, replacing the cable, etc, but none of these worked for me. Still get the error on boot-up.

I've realized it's probably not the hard drives, because I can clone over them all day long and they'll boot up. It's just a matter of time, though, when I'll get this error message and have to start over with a cloned drive. I have not tried other brands of HD yet....Looks like I'll have to go back and clone my old drive again, then might try the FAT32 conversion using PartionMagic(?) and see if that works.

fyi - I've been using XP Pro SP1, on a PIII with 512meg of RAM, and NTFS.

Ashame this has happened. I've never had this much trouble in over 20+ years. I thought all this technology supposed to improve things....(?).
:(

Ethan Waldman May 26, 2004, 10:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Its amazing to me seeing how many people have the exact same problem, yet no one (including microsoft) has done anything to figure it out! This problem arose for me while installing Windows XP Pro on a Dell which was originally running ME, but had been upgraded to XP Home. I have done many clean XP installations before, and have converted FAT32 drives to NTFS without any problems. After you convert to NTFS through the windows installation, windows setup copies some files to the hard disk. The computer then reboots, and proceeds with the installation. However, when the computer rebooted, it gave the disk read error. I have tried everything, including reverting back to XP Home, ME (still have the disk read error). I have also reformatted the drive back to FAT32...still no luck. I am going to try changing the ribbon cable next. Any other suggestions? I have tried all the Windows Recovery Console options (chkdsk /r, fixboot, fixmbr) to no avail.

Richie May 26, 2004, 12:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 26, 2004, 12:40pm EDT

If all else fails, delete the partition, Zero out the drive ( Low level) format it.

Richard J Hansen

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.