Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1690 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 07:42pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Barry Johnston Apr 26, 2006, 09:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
Great thread guys - a huge help to me but a terrible indictment on wintel!

After going through the list starting with the easiest, it was the defrag that worked for me - so far...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
miss X May 02, 2006, 12:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So I have the same problem "Disk Reading Error" but the laptop cannot read from the CD drive at all. What to do?

R Kumono May 04, 2006, 02:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 04, 2006, 02:40pm EDT

Mine was more simple than most, but probably thought to be a bigger pain.

I first tried to start the PC using PartitionMagic(DOS) to diagnose if it was an MBR or hardware issue. PM could scan the disk but it found many errors.
..but it said it wasn't the MBR or the drive itself.

So I tried the WinXP CD to go to recovery mode. It would start scanning the hardware configuration, but then would freeze with a black screen.

So I tried option 3--one that many people don't have access to. I pulled one of my three other PCs that I had stored and pulled out an old 10GB hard drive that I have WinXP installed on for recovery purposes (so I can read NTFS drives and copy files off of them should Windows not be able to boot).
I put the main hard drive in as a slave to the recovery drive, booted, and ran chkdsk /r through another copy of windows.

This fixed the problem--which was that the Root directory (\) had become corrupt. It deleted the bad file entry, the file index $I30 for sector 5 (root), the file itself, then it recovered it and recovered the files it contained.

It had numerous other errors too (index errors on five other sectors, about 30 files lost, etc), but I put the drive back into it's system and it booted right up. I think all the files lost were cached internet data, because most of the filenames that I saw flash past were those. It also occured when the system was being used in an MMORPG--so it was mostly cached game data.

Unfortunately, the error message as it shows up on screen isnt' very helpful. It can be for a bad cable, bad controller, bad drive entirely, lost root folder, bad file system, bad mbr, damaged partition table...so many things to check.

But it's always something to remember--if you have access to another PC, you can always move the drive into the other PC to let it run chkdsk if nothing else works.

Affected System:
AMD Duron 1600+
Shuttle AK38N
768MB PC2700 DDR
WinXP Pro SP1
Affected Drive:
WDC WD205BA (20GB Western Digital)
Slave Drive:
ST3160023A (160GB Seagate)

Recovery System (Stripped):
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Asus K7VTA Pro
1024 PC133
WinXP Pro (NoSP)
(Former Overheat Problem causes errors after 30mins use - effective CPU Speed is halved)
Recovery Drive:
WDC 310200 (10GB Western Digital)

Danny Ly May 13, 2006, 08:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 18, 2006, 02:38am EDT

I think I found the solution.

I've had this problem since I have two identical Maxtor 250gb diamondmax 10 ide drives using NTFS and xp with sp2. I think it happens around every 3-5 months. My Intel board does support big drives, so that wasn't the problem. Both have the same problem. Both out of warranty now, being over a year, this month.

After trying everything that has been suggested, updating the bios (did nothing), changing the cables (did nothing), changing the power supply (did nothing), and all the other diagnostic programs out there. Name it, I probably did it. Nothing worked and I just reformatted the drive after backing up everything.

Damn drive showed the problem again a week ago and I was looking for a solution, and to date, not one person or company has found a good solution.

So then I tried imaging the drive to backup the drive this time (instead of moving files) and it'll get to 99% and quit finding errors at the end. I look up the error message and I see that it could be bad sectors or something with the disk. I know it can't be the disk because every time I use that dumb Maxtor diagnostic program, all test end being good.

All those test are very time consuming, so rather than doing that again, I thought, what if I change the partition size under the limit of 137gb.

I went ahead, resized the partition to 70 gb, and rebooted. Xp gave me an error saying it couldn't find a system file called "NTOSKRNL.EXE."
I checked the partition again and rebooted once more and bam, it worked. Booted right up and xp checked the disk for errors, rebooted once again and all is good now.

Chase Russell May 23, 2006, 03:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought a computer with Windows XP Home Edition on it and I wanted to put Windows 2000 on it, so I did an install. Supposedly you canít uninstall windows xp but I didnít know about that, so I put the windows 2k disc in and booted from the CD-Rom and installed windows 2k.
Oblivious to my knowledge windows xp is a NTSF system format and supposedly Windows 2k is FAT32, this worked fine for a few days. However yesterday morning I tried to start the computer up and I got a disk read error, I freaked out and did everything I could to fix it, I formatted and tried to do the chkdsk recovery and that fixed a little bit.
I then put my Windows XP disc in and reformatted the H.D. and started to reinstall Windows XP but I realized that the company who put my computer together didnít provide me with a cdkey they just did the install. I tried contacting the company but they havenít responded yet, anyhow I donít really want windows xp on the system anyway. This wasnít too bad at first because I thought hey I canít just boot the system with my windows 2k disc because I have a valid cdkey and Ill just reformat the HD in Fat 32 and itíll work. I put in my Windows 2k disk and it wonít load it, it just starts up windows xp installation again and asks for the windows xp disk, it does the same even if I boot from the cd-rom. Iím kind of stuck in a bind. Can someone please help me?

Stoke Stoke May 24, 2006, 04:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks a Gazillion for this thread. Most informative.
My scenario :
My old PIII Compaq machine has been running a Western Digital 160GB for like 1 year now.
It's XinXPProSP1a upped to SP2.
Suddenly out of the blue this bloody error appears when I boot the machine ... no apparent reason for the problem.
Tried : IDE Cable, Switching to Stand Alone Master, BIOS Fail-Safe, BIOS Update, ChkDsk, FIXMBR, FIX[the other one - forgot it], Win XP Repair.

No solution.

Read through all the posts here again ... the SIZE issue keeps on coming up.
I thought about what the PC had been doing for the past year : it's been capturing video on the security cameras.
I started winxp repair console again ... went to the folder that stores the security files and deleted them.
Problem still prevailed. Damn.

Put the drive in another machine and ran defrag on it. Put drive back into original machine. Rebooted.
Wow ... straight into the repaired XP installation.
Worked.

Why ? My guess is that on bootstrap WinXP says that drive space used is greater than 167 GB and BLAMMO ... error.
Reduce the drive space used back below 167 and DEFRAG the drive to force the update of the space-used tables.
i.e. THIS IS A MS PROBLEM OF NOTE [in my case.]
I'll use up more than 167 GB of space again when I have some time and post the results here.

Gabriel Meza May 24, 2006, 10:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, im having same problem. After trying to install a brand new 300GB Ultra FAst 16 Maxtor hard drive on a MS 7308ET and a clean install of XP PRO SP2, I cant even install XP Pro.... I was told that bios wont fix anything; a IDE/ATA controller will fix the problem.. i dont know what to do.

One other thing, the drive that was there befoere, a Segate 20gb, if i tried to install same OS, i get same problem....this is insane.

michael bultot Jul 08, 2006, 06:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
same problem, .... but when i get disk read error, i have 2 corsair 512 ddr's, and when i'm pulling one out then everything go back to normal ??? wierd.than i turn of my pc i put the ram back and its repaird. I think it is somthing with the power...

michael bultot Jul 08, 2006, 06:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
for those who wants to now: maxtor sata160gb
msi k8t neo2-f v2.0
x1600 pro
2 x corsair msx 512
xp pro 64
pws 420 w
amd 64 3500+

Archangel Jul 08, 2006, 07:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ITS THE MAAAN!!!!
The corporate machine!!! trying to take over the world.
Sticking it up yours!!! haha, dont let them!!!

ThatsGona LeaveAMark Jul 19, 2006, 05:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's not the man. It's the BIOS.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX200 installing Windows 2000 running a Maxtor 5t040h4.
I kept getting the "disk read error..." after the text mode in Windows setup (15 second countdown)
it would continually reboot into the disk error.
I searched and searched. First I thought it was a limitation in my bios reading large harddrive
sizes, so I reformatted my bootpartitions and made the bootpartition 8057mb.
This DID NOT HELP

More tinkering...more searching.

Finally I stumbled across some adjustments to my bios in this thread or at least I think it was this thread. I've been searching for hours.

I flashed my bios, then edited my bios HD settings.
I changed the setting to Auto.
I reformatted and reinstalled the OS
.....The error disappeared.

Microsoft has identified a problem with the Maxtor IDE's running in mode 4...mine was set to mode 1
I said screw it and used auto mode instead.

Check Your Bios Folks.

Ivanko koko Jul 22, 2006, 06:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 22, 2006, 06:36pm EDT

Hello!

Iam having the same problem with having Disk read Error.. and its been draining my last 2 days trying to fix this problem.. .>.<

This is my first time getting it.. and i tried doing the windows XP cd, but unfortuantely, my computer does not want to DO ANYTHING when theres ANY cd inside.. -_-.. so i cant even reformat the comp if i wanted to.. with the XP CD it gets to the part where it says that its "analyzing the system configurations" and then the screen goes blank and stays that way for at least 2 hours... here's the layout of Master-Slave:
*Maxtor 250 GB (Primary Master)
*NEC (etc...) DVD (Secondary Slave)

So according to that guy all you have to do is flash the BIOS.. wellllll.. i went to this site [http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios_download_us.jsp?PRO...mp;SITE=US] got the latest BIOS i could find (for my LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb motherboard) (the BIOS is over a year old on that site) and I flashed the comp.. and.. the error is still there!.. >.<

I resorted to getting KNOPPIX v3.9 and i dont know what to do with it.. so im really burned out.. today ive prolly spent a good half the day taking apart my comp and putting it together (for getting my Master-Slave setup correct and for installing a floppy and Reseting my BIOS [before update] cuz i messed it up trying to fix the problem and the screen wouldnt show).

So any help is greatly appreciated =D

flabb s Jul 26, 2006, 01:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 26, 2006, 01:31pm EDT

i have this problem too.
well it started out today when i did my weekly virus scan. I went outside to do some yard work. I came back and noticed my computer off. I thought it was odd but my sister was here and maybe she tunred it off. But when i went to turn it on i got through my bois and it said that both my drive s WD raptor 74 and Seagate 160 both were reconized. however i would get pass the loadin of windows xp right after the logo and the bar dissapered it said Disk read error press ctrl alt del. So i did and it just keep coming up to that. now i went into my bois and it said everythihn was in place. then i tried acessing the WD. when i did my computer could see it but it wasn' able to look at anything. but with my seagate i could look at all my files that were on there. I am a gamer and i have lots and lots of files from saved stuff that has taken long hours of my time to complete. I would be extremely grateful if i could fix this problem premently without reformatting or erasing all my saved files. I have bult my own computer and it is about 4 months old. I am not sure if my hard drive crashed and i cant do anything or if there is a problem wiht the registrie code. If my hard drive did crash is there anyway i can make a back up disk now or get any of my files from this hard drive to another one i would have to buy. I am not sure what to do now =(

my computer specs are
AsRock 939sli32a
AMD X2 3800
2 HD (74G wd raptor ,160Gb Seegate)

please, HELP!!!!!!!!!

S G Aug 09, 2006, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also have exact same problem.
I am also getting "A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart". I have windows 2000 professional. When I try to boot using Windows 98 bootable disk, I still get the same error.
I tried to boot using the windows 2000 professional CD, it hangs in the setup forever.

Please help me and suggest what to do.

michael bultot Aug 09, 2006, 01:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i changed from sata port 0 to sata 1 port, i think this may be it ??? i haven't this problem anymore
sorry for the english, i'm flemish,
greets

fred Belanger Aug 22, 2006, 12:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I've read the various problems I've seen mentioned here.

I'm using an old Dell Optiplex GX100.

I see the same problems.

My solutuon was to go into BIOS, and change the HDD type to AUTO. The BIOS
was seeing it as a Type 1 for some weird reason (10MB).

Now XP installs. XP SUCKS installing on OLD hardware. I've done it on NEW stuff with no problems at all.

David Wandell Sep 05, 2006, 05:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, now I have 'it'... and I can't access the BIOS... (Yes, press 'del', tried another keyboard...). Hmmm....

Yesterday I tried to run 'SpinRite v6' (NTFS ver) and it reported that the bios was 'wrongí about the HDD. I've seen that before in older versions of this program, but it 'stopped' right there and so did I. Probably a good thing too, because today I noticed that even though I had Ďdisabledí the energy saving features of the bios, it went to Ďsleepí.

I guess the next step is to unplug, remove the bios battery and reset it.

Has anyone else seen this happen? I don't recall seeing it in the previous posts. I apologize if there has been another posting regarding this.

BTW: I will not chkdsk the hdd in this workstation (Ďwsí) for now. If anything, first Iíll remove it and copy the data to another drive in another ntfs ws. Iím glad thereís not a lot on it yet.

Thanks.

Intel MB
256MB RDRAM
250GB Seagate IDE (It tests 'OK', *except* for the NT file system, w/the Seagate tools)
WiníXP SP2 (New installation, ~ 60 days ago)
Passes the MS 'Genuine Advantage' test, etc.

David Wandell Sep 05, 2006, 06:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Whoops! Sorry, it's been a long day and I forgot that...
1) An Intel MB needs an 'F2', not a 'Del' to boot to the bios...
2) Upon entering the bios, I saw that 'SpinRite v6' was correct in the size of the HDD that the bios reported ('saw'). It appears that the bios will not 'see' the full HDD space, even though XP will.

The bios reports ~ 130GB. Mine is a 250GB. That difference might give me 'heartburn' also! I'll see if I can slave the drive on another ws to xfer the data.

I guess it's time to upgrade the bios, after I take a closer look at the model number of the MB.

Actually, it might be a good time to get a MB with less expensive ram. I have 256MB of RDRAM. My supply house rep said that it would be cheaper to buy a MB of a similar vintage, w/a warranty, & a GB of 'fast' ram for this P4/1.6GHz chip, than to buy more ram and fool w/the MB/cmos/bios further.

Stuart Baylis Sep 07, 2006, 02:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I know how all you people feel now grrr!

A couple weeks ago my computer started 'freezing' upon boot up, and i heard clunking noises from my Western Digital 200GB harddrive, which I assumed was a hardware error. However I was able to recover my data by connecting my HDD to a friends computer - it seemed to work fine as a slave drive.

I then bought a new 250GB WD hard drive, which worked fine for all of about 2 days.... now i get the "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" message - sometimes it will start fine, other times it makes me restart it several times before it will work. I really don't want to have to reformat AGAIN but I don't know what to do - the fact that it's intermittant, and a brand new HDD makes me think it might be something else, any advice?

My PC is a really good spec and not very old but these things keep going wrong, it's frustrating as hell!

Stu

Gord Horton Sep 12, 2006, 12:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I started getting this error on my 80g HDD and thought it was toast. To test it, I used a win 98 start up disk and was able to format the HDD and install system files. It booted OK to C: so I tried to install windows XP (NTFS format). It copied the files fine but on a reboot, the error appeared again. My 120gb and 250 gb HDD's worked fine, it was only the 80gb. I went to the bios and the only problem was that my setting for allowing 32 bit transfers was disable but I wasn't concern about this as I am using an Opteron processor and had at one point installed XP 64 bit. I changed this setting but still got the error. I went back to the bios and tried the DMA setting. I changed it from auto to DMA 4. BINGO!!!! When I rebooted it went right back into the XP setup where it had stalled before with the error. I then changed it to DMA 5 and it still worked. I have now tested all the HDD's I mentioned above and they all now work. The only conclusion I can make is that after using the larger HDD's the bios will no longer auto detect the correct DMA setting for some HDD's but it only seems to affect the ones using NTFS. That's about as technical as I can get.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.