Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1365 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 05:52pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Marshall Carpenter Sep 16, 2006, 01:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
Hey, I have Two Western Digital Raptor In raid 0. I just got this problem after restarting my computer. Im a computer noob and dont realy understand any of this but I was just wondering if my raid setup would change anything when im trying to fix it. My data should be split across two drives so will it be more difficult to recover? And if i just try to reinstall windows or whatever Im not sure if the Raid setup will still be there or if it will just install windows onto one of the drives. PLEASE HELP. Just got this comp Yesterday. Im pretty sure my comp is recognizing my hdd are there.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Marshall Carpenter Sep 16, 2006, 12:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
YES!!!.... I fixed my problem.
It was a tad different than the solutions i read here. The problem was in my Bios but resetting it did not help.
It started when i had been screwing around in my bios. To make sure i didnt mess anything up i reset everything to defaults. Well resetting it to defaults disabled my raid function. I went in to my bios, enabled raid funtion again,,,,,,,,,,, and it works!

Graham Scott Oct 05, 2006, 10:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Iíve just re-read this whole post again and thought I might be able to add something (but not a solution). Iíve been plagued with this error for a long time but, since I make a clone of my disk on a regular basis (using a USB2 case), I can quickly swap over to the clone and Iím back up and running in minutes (I have a removable hard disk caddy as well). And thatís the rub Ė I donít change anything else. I just take the cloned disk out of the USB2 case and put it in the hard disk caddy. I then put the ďfailedĒ disk in the USB2 case and retrieve any new files. I can then make the ďfailedĒ disk a new clone. I have three disks in total (1x160 and 2x200 Gb), one working and two clones (just in case). They have all experienced the problem at some time or another. So, if I change nothing but the disk, then logic says the problem is with the hard disk. Then the problem becomes what happened to it and how do I stop it happening again.

Having had the problem a while I have noticed a slight (weak) trend. It often seems to occur if the hard disk has a large amount of data on it (over 100gb) and/or Iíve been using Bit torrent for a long while.

Jed Shenefelt Oct 11, 2006, 07:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the exact problem as mentioned. Im using a Wester Digital 320GB hard drive. Flashing the master boot record did nothing, and im currenlty using the chckdsk /r utility. Its takeing a while, but if it works ill post again.

Thanks for the help.

Jed Shenefelt Oct 11, 2006, 08:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SUCCESS
the chckdsk /r command worked like a charm.

as for reasons of ths happening, i have a few ideas...remember im not a full fledged techie yet.
I agree w/ theory of hard drives over 100GB having troubles, but im not sure if its NTFS releated. I did notice one thing when i finally got my hard drive working. Keep in mind that i was using another computer, not connected to the internet to get to the windows repair utility. When I shut down the newly fixed hard drive (after booting it alone, w/ out any other disks connected, and with no internet connection) I noticed that it started installing updates on shutdown. The curious thing is, it started at update #21 out of 60. Perhaps when the computer was shut down last, the updates were in the middle of being installed and an inprompt-to shutdown caused an error in the boot sector.
Did that happen to anyone else? or was it just mine?

again, im no techie, that's just my theory

Marc Bardwell Oct 14, 2006, 02:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Read the post tried everything.

Reset my bios
Ran FixBoot
Ran Chkdsk /r

still get the CTRL ALT DEL disk read error

I have a USB Hard Drive and i just want to move all my data off of my computer onto the drive (so my wife doesnt kill me for losing our family pictures again). But I can't figure out how to copy c:*.* d: successfully.

Any tips? or anything else I can try?

Cagatay Gurturk Oct 14, 2006, 05:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I experienced the same problem. I have a 250 GB Western Digital SATA II disk and several days ago, my computer began to freeze. When freezed, disk continuosly works and suspend all processes. When I restart while disk is running, I get "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.

I use recovery console to run "fixmbr" and "fixboot" commands but it fails to examine disk and i again have to restart :) After that, if i'm lucky, windows boots up but at the next restart it fails again. When I run chkdsk /p, it cannot find any bad sectors.

I finally decided to change SATA port and plugged the SATA cable in the another port on mainboard. It seems to be ok now and i haven't experienced similar problem yet.

However, I don't exactly know whether this problem caused by the cable.

dracula count Nov 02, 2006, 02:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the above problem from last week. I reinstalled WinXP with complete format [not quick] but the problem is still existing. Apart from disk read error , it shows please select proper boot device, memory over flow error occurred press any key to reboot.

I changed the IDE cable [tried bot 80 conductor & 40].
Even if no error is coming it takes much time to see XP boot screen. A blank screen with cursor blinking comes for long time.

What might be the problem. I had also tried by installing WIn98 but problem exists.
I use Samsung 80 GB HDD. [ Bought 2 months before]
Celeron 2.4 Ghz
256 RAM DDR2
Intel 845 pesv MB

the error also comes when tried to boot from Bootable CD also..
If once error is obtained Next time it will load after a long delay..

Nigel Kunning Nov 04, 2006, 12:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all new to the site. It's cool!

I too have this problem... this is what happened.

I was upgrading the hard drive from a 40GB (filled to 32GB) to a 200GB.
I wanted the new big drive as the primary (OS) drive.
I took the original drive and new drive and installed into another PC
I copied the original partition with Partition Magic onto the new drive.
Great i thought. Except when I placed the new drive back in the original PC it hung verifying DMI Pool Data.
I then put the original 40GB drive back in and I get the "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"
The only other thing I did to this drive whilst it was out was scan it for Virii! this is what happened in the virus scan ......
Sign of "Win32:Adware-gen. [Adw]" has been found in "D:\Documents and Settings\Mathew\Local Settings\Temp\GLB1A7.tmp" file.
Sign of "Win32:Bropia-G [Wrm]" has been found in "D:\hiberfil.sys" file.
Sign of "Win32:Agent-LE [Trj]" has been found in "D:\pagefile.sys" file.
Sign of "Win32:Trojano-1035 [Trj]" has been found in "D:\Program Files\Xcljtt\Burw.exe" file.

The files were deleted as far as i can tell!
I tried the fixboot and fixmbr still THE ERROR continued.
I tried a repair install of XP, which went fine until the computer had to be restarted!!:(
I'm at a dead end!!

Nigel Kunning Nov 10, 2006, 03:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Further to last weeks post, I got it working by doing a repair onstall on the new drive and all was cool until I used PM8 to make part of the partition into a logical drive and i knacked things up again getting disk read error on boot!!! - on the new drive!

Graham Scott Nov 27, 2006, 06:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I last posted, on this subject, on the 5th October. About a week latter I had the problem again. This time I took some drastic action. After installing my backup I deleted 22gb of data (and some bits) which brought the usage on the 200gb drive down from 105gb to 65gb. I also changed from cable select to master (I normally only like to change one thing at a time but I was getting desperate. It had got to the stage where I dreaded turning on the PC).

As the weeks went by I thought Iíd cracked it but put off posting the good news since I thought it might tempt fate. I had just decided it was time to post when, yesterday, I got the dreaded message yet again. I checked and usage had got back up to 78gb.

So reducing disk usage seems to have had an effect. Iím not a fan of partitioning but it makes you wonder.

Sam Sanderson Nov 28, 2006, 03:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've just recieved this error myself. I'm running a small 5GB Western Digital HD strictly for the OS (with a 40GB and a 60GB for storage). I've tooled around and tried various stuff (running chkdsk /r JUST failed) but to little or no avail. BIOS recognizes the disk, but Windows fails to acknowledge.

Ian Dunross Dec 01, 2006, 12:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
I have two HD in my computer.
Master : 40GB Maxtor
Slave: 200GB Maxtor

The other day I was downloading some stuff using bittorrent. I had a CD mounted using Alcohal and was installing from it. The computer crashed, and when I restarted, I got the A Drive read error message.

So then I used Hiren's Boot Cd, ran Partition Magic and... that's when the horror started.
Partition magic wouldn't load.
I tried XP recovery. It wouldn't even recognise c drive. so no chkdsk,
So I took out the master put it in in another computer and booted using Boot CD. Partition magic still wouldn't load, But Partition Commander said There was no Drive I/O, drive might be dead.
So I plugged in the Slave drive. Even worse.
The slave drive was recognized, but there is no partition on the drive. All my data is gone. I have my softwares, my documents and videos in there. The videos are not important, but the softwares are. All threee are in 3 different partitions. And every software I try keeps saying there is no partitions. Partition Magic, Wininternal Disk Commmander, Partition Recovery. I am gonna go crazy now.
Can anyone help? Any ideas at all? The 40 GB drive seems dead. But the other should work if I reformatted. The computer is exactly 2 year old, Bought it thanksgiving before last. Wonder if Maxtor's warrenty lasts more than 2 years.
I really need the data in the drive.
Ian Dunross

Ian Dunross Dec 02, 2006, 10:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Maybe this will help others

My 40GB hard drive is dead. I used maxtor's powermax program which told me so.

My 200 GB hard drive had 3 partitions. Movies was a 150GB primary partition, Docs and Softwares were 20 and 30 GB logical partitions. Like I said before, these partitions disappeared.

So I plugged in another 40 GB hard drive as primary, than used Ghost Image to restore XP. Than I connected the 200 GB drive and booted up with wininternal's ERD commander. Very good program. looks just like XP. I ran Disk commander from there.I used the look for lost volumes command. Disk commander found the docs and softwares partitions. I was able to copy all the files from these two partitions. I couldn't restore in the 200GB drive, But it allowed me to copy it to the new 40GB drive. My 150 GB partitions is gone though. No way to bring it back, as far as I know.
Now I am gonna try some more stuff to see if I can get the data from that partition, if I can't I will just format the 200 GB drive and make two copies of important files in the future.
Ian Dunross

Justin Nelson Dec 03, 2006, 12:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Umm im only 14 im kinda smart with computers but when i put in my windows xp cd it says windows is inspecting your computer blah then the screen goes black... can anyone help me

Justin Nelson Dec 03, 2006, 01:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a western digital 160 gig 512 ram 1 dvd drive 1 cd drive no floppy drive i have geforce 6200 videocard i checked to see if cables were lose nothing what could be the problem???

Iv tryed reseting everything in my bios settings then the only thing i changed was to disable my floppy drive.. I dont get it please help me i need to do a school project soon:(

James Urbanoski Dec 11, 2006, 01:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same problem, how can I even get to DOS to run disk repair? When I boot computer it some times goes to Windows did not start ... and gives me option to restore to last known good... but it does not do anything.
any help appreciated.

becs online Dec 14, 2006, 02:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Solution to "A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL ALT DEL " error, when running RAID:

Remove power cable from the PSU (Power Supply) and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard (looks like a watch battery), for about 10 minutes.

Reconnect CMOS Battery and turn on PC, unless your hard disks are physically damaged you should be up and running again. Resetting your CMOS this way will not loose your settings if youíre running RAID, like the above solutions will.

Cheers

becs.com.au

Gregory Pelletey Dec 19, 2006, 09:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all!

Ive been through the whole thread and still no real solutions have been provided. What happens to me is that my PC runs normally for a while then freezes and when i reboot i get this error message. After waiting for a while, my computer starts normally but the windows start sound sounds like freezing and after a while it freezes again and when reboot i get the same error message. My PC is brand new:
Asus P5B deluxe Wifi edition
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300....
I'm fed up...anyone get the same thing as me??

Cheers
greg

john taylor Dec 20, 2006, 07:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.