Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1376 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 04:36am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
john taylor Dec 20, 2006, 08:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
HI MY NAME IS JOHN I JUST PURCHASED A PROGRAM FROM CASNADA CALLED RESTORE MY DATA ABOUT $40-00 IT LET'S YOU READ AND RESTORE ANY DATA FROM ANY DRIVE EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN F-DISKED OR RE-FORMATED IT'S JUST GREAT FOR HELPING TO RESTORE ALL YOU MISSING FOLDERS OR FILES WITH YOUR DATA STORED IN THEM. ( YOU MIGHT HAVE TO USE ANOTHER COMPUTER TO LOAD PROGRAM TO WITH TWO HARDDRIVES BUT IT WILL FIND ALL YOUR DATA FILES WHICH YOU CAN BACKUP)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
shiyam biz Jan 02, 2007, 04:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Dell 4550 dimension
1Gb Ram
160Gb PATA seagate barracuda (installed 6months ago to replace original corrupt drive)
DVD-R
WINDOWS XP SP2

hi

i had a similar problem whilst burning a dvd using nero. i returned to find my screen frozen. alt-ctrl-del did not work. i had to reboot at the main switch. i rebooted and the black screen with 'disk read error ; press alt-ctrl-del' was on view. i followed instructions but returned to main same point. changed boot sequence to load from cd. but the system does not seem to want to load from the windows xp re-installation cd. i can only use a Dell diagnostics and utility cd. i manage to get to dos c: but when i type dir it only lists files on the ramdisk. i manage to go back to the bios and the hard drive is recognised as the primary idd. i did manage to run a diagnostic on the hard drive from the cd where it stated the drive was working optimally.

the problem seems to be that; though the hard drive is recognised i cannot access it at all. there is no noise from the hard drive at all (have checked power and cables to the drive) and i cannot get into windows either. i have a lot of data that i have stupidly not backed up which i need to access.

i would greatly appreciate any advice

Gregory Pelletey Jan 04, 2007, 11:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 04, 2007, 11:08am EST

Hi all!

I have a possible solution for the issue of this thread..might work for you or it might not:
I explained my problems a few posts earlier and this is what i did.
I had a HD with two partition in it: one NTFS on FAT32..What i did is I made a single NTFS partition and reformatted everything and save my data which were on the FAT32 partition.
I installed a proper windows x64 pro on the new partition (single on the HD) and its been running well for now 2 weeks...Ive put my data on another disk that i plugged in the 3rd slot of sata connector. (as indicated on the motherboard manual for data disk)
My config in case :
ASUS p5b deluxe wifi
Core 2 duo e6300
1GB ram
DD Western Digital (the NTFS one) 160GB

dunno why but it seemed to come from the partition?? maybe what do you think?

John McCormick Jan 25, 2007, 07:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Everyone,

Okay, I've read through all the pages on the "A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.

Below is a list of solutions that I have compiled that may have some merit (in my professional opinion).

SOLUTIONS OFFERED SO FAR IN THIS FORUM:
=====================================

Safest and easiest to try (in order of ease)
-------------------------------------------------------------:
*(1) Reset BIOS with "safe" defaults
(2) Yank BIOS battery for about 10 minutes
(3) Disable HD S.M.A.R.T. setting in BIOS
*(4) Disable bus mastering in BIOS
*(5) Disable Ultra DMA (UDMA) moder in BIOS (or at least change the UDMA mode)
(6) Set correct memory settings in BIOS
(7) Test memory to see if it is faulty (MemTest86 from memtest.org is free)
(8) Set HD jumper(s) to Master rather than Cable Select (or even Master w/Slave Present)
(9) Replace HD cable
*(10) Update BIOS
(11) Use FIXBOOT utility on Win XP recovery
*(12) Use chkdsk /r /p
(13) Virus scan (good luck, because that probably isn't the problem)

Medium difficulty and some danger of data loss:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
*(14) Defragment (requires use of second computer or boot to defrag program on CD)
*(15) Use Partition Table Doctor from the Ultimate Boot CD (search on Google)
(16) Use FIXMBR utility on Win XP recovery (DO NOT use if utility indicates non-standard partition if you want to preserve your data!)
(17) Change drive ID from 1 to 0 (if it is 1) or vice versa (personally I don't think this is a good idea); if problem with drive ID, reset ID by powering system on while HD cable is plugged but power unplugged
(18) Resize NTFS clusters to 4K using partition manager
*(19) Change NTFS to FAT32 using partition manager (and optionally change back to NTFS--although this may cause the problem to recur)

Time-consuming and may not work; definite data loss:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(20) Resize partition below 137 Gb
(21) Perform low-level format on HD (using manufacturer's tools)

From what I've read, the primary problem appears to be BIOS-related, although there may be two or three other issues that result in the same error message (i.e. partition size, cable/HD jumper problem, partition cluster size). Nevertheless, the OVERWHELMING majority of reports appear to be BIOS-related.

My suggestion (21 years of tech support) is to try the easiest solutions, focusing on BIOS first. Solutions (1) through (13) should cost you nothing, and may be the most likely to effect a solution. If none of those work, I'd suggest following (14) through (21) in order.

TRY EACH SUGGESTION, IN ORDER, ONE AT A TIME FOR BEST RESULTS AND SAFETY. With the exception of the first 5 or 6 suggestions, performing several of these suggestions at once may not tell you what the problem is, and could cause additional problems or data loss. AGAIN, TRY EACH SUGGESTION, IN ORDER, ONE AT A TIME FOR BEST RESULTS AND SAFETY.

WARNING: If you can back your data up on a second computer, then do so before using ANY of solutions (14) through (21)!!!

None of these solutions are guaranteed, but they have all been suggested in this forum. Use these suggestions at your own risk! Good luck!

* - Suggestions that I find to be most likely to work.

Peter Wilson Jan 25, 2007, 11:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For me I have isolated the problem to one key issue. It's all related to your on-board IDE connectors and your BIOS. Thru no great insight the lightbulb finally went on. My BIOS only supports HDDs formatted up to 137GB. At some point I added a PCI controller card that allowed me to format HDD's greater than 137GB. I then proceeded to take these drives and connected them to my on-board IDEs. Big No-No. Sometimes the drives were recognized and everything worked ok. But at some point the "A Disk Read Error Occurred Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" would eventually happen. Using either a Norton Ghost CD-rom or Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools CD-rom I can still see and read the HDDs. But any HDD that is formatted greater than 137GB connected to an IDE connector for a BIOS that does support drives greater than 137GB will not boot-up in Windows XP.

The solution of course is to upgrade the BIOS or only hang the HDDs formatted greater than 137 GB on PCI controller cards that support 48 bit LBA. In my situation my BIOS is already at its highest upgrade level and only supports 24 bit LBA. So if I want to use one of the larger capacity HDDs at a format greater than 137GB I can only do so when I hang the drives on the PCI controller card and not the on-board primary or secondary controller IDE connectors.

mark culverhouse Jan 30, 2007, 05:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have recently built a PC and at first the inital installation of windows corrupted and required a format and reinstall to get working again. However I am now being faced with the Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart message upon start up. I've just read through this thread from start to finish and am amazed at how common this problem is and yet how there is very little concrete evidence pointing at the problem.

My question is in response to the previous comment that the common factor in the majority of people within this thread is their IDE-BIOS settings, well I am running a Western Digital SATA2 drive on a ASRock motherboard. Surely this blows any relation between an IDE and BIOS link out the water?

I have just ordered a new HDD to try and see if this makes a difference as I truely believe that it is not worth trying to find a temporary resolution which is all that seems to be suggested so far.

What are everyone elses comments on my choice to buy a new drive?

John McCormick Jan 30, 2007, 08:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Everyone,

My list of suggestions above was related to my experience with this problem for a client.

AFTER compiling the list, I tried the steps I offered above out-of-order, since I already had the drive out of my client's computer prior to reading this forum.

I defragmented the client's drive, then re-installed it in the client's computer and it worked perfectly. Clearly, in this instance, the problem was related to the NTFS file system and, perhaps, the interaction of the 137 Gb limit and/or the BIOS.

After replacing the drive and booting up the system, I did upgrade the BIOS to attempt to forestall future occurences. I also advised the client to defragment regularly.

I stand by the 21 steps I outlined earlier in this group. Try them and you won't be sorry!

John McCormick
Apex Micro

Gregory Pelletey Jan 31, 2007, 05:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well My HD does not use a IDE so i guess this clearly does not come from this. What i did is update my BIOS, even though my MB is clearly new (Asus p5b deluxe wifi edition) but it seems thats working fine now...i have vista installed on it..

Try to update the BIos that might fix it as it did for me.

Graham Scott Feb 01, 2007, 10:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've posted on this before stating that I was having it occur very frequently (worst case twice in a week). The thing that has greatly reduced the frequency of occurence was when I deleted some large folders and reduced the disk usage below 100gb (Oct 2005). I guess this might fit in with the 137gb limit therory (if the disk is fragmented then area above the limit might be in use). Since going below 100gb the occurences have been roughly monthly and since the last one was New years day I'm due another. If it occurs again I'll update my bios (Matsonic MS8137+) and see if that has an effect. If it doesn't occur I'll report back in a months time (it all adds to the knowledge base).

Rich Haffner Feb 07, 2007, 09:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My vote is for FAT32 being the solution. Here's my story:

My XP Home SP2 system crashed when I upgraded my video card. Wasn't too concerned because I had just backed everything to CD in preparation for upgrading to Vista Home Premium. Just figured I'd do a "clean install" of XP then go straight to Vista.

I reformatted the HD (Maxtor 120 gig) with a single NTFS partition using Maxtor's software. Booted with XP Setup - "Disk Read Error" occurred on first startup.

Tried a bunch of stuff - won't bore you with the details, but it did include new HD (Seagate Barracuda 120 gig). Nothing work - XP Setup stopped at same place every time.

Searched for internet solutions at M$, Maxtor, Seagate, Abit, nothing worked. Found this thread.

First thing I tried was using Seagate's setup (almost identical to Maxtor's) with the Seagate HD to reformat with a single partition with FAT32. Booted with XP setup. Worked without a hitch. (Please note at the selection of where to install files, setup asked if I wanted to reformat to NTFS, reformat with FAT32, or leave drive unchanged. I used the leave drive unchanged method, which was the default selection.)

After activation of XP, I went straight to installing the Upgrade version of Vista Home Premium. It stopped after a few steps and said go back to XP and convert your file system from FAT32 to NTFS. (I knew Vista required NTFS, but I assumed - stupidly I guess - Vista setup would do this for me.)

I followed the instructions to convert to NTFS and the rest of installation to Vista went without a hitch. So far, I'm liking Vista a lot. Granted it's been only a few days. I'll post again if the system dies on me.

Thanks to everyone who posted solutions to this thread. I was really starting to lose hope that the system I'd built myself, was just money down the drain.

For those that are interested:

Pentium P4 2.4 gHz Prescott
Abit VT77
1 gig Ram
hp DVD-RW
Seagate Barracuda 120 gig IDE HD
ATI Radeon 9200 (?) 256 mb AGP
On board sound and wired networking

Thanks again,

Rich

Gregory Pelletey Feb 07, 2007, 09:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Turned to Vista

No more problems

XD

Nicholas Pagliaro Feb 09, 2007, 08:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey yea i have the same problem how do i, do the Fdsk/mbr command? IM reformatting now. Low Level

Stephen Akrill Feb 10, 2007, 06:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I previously suffered this problem with a Samsung 150GB HD and ended up having to freshly install a new HD and retrieve my files with GetDataBack software. However the new drive was of the same specification and the day before yesterday the same problem returned.

I read through all of the posts on this subject, as I had on the first ocassion, but this time some of the later ones seemed to have finally arrived at the truth of the matter. It seems likely that this is a BIOS/Hard Drive capacity issue, which has proved to be the case for me.

My PC is six years old and has seen a fair amount of upgrades in that time, but of course the motherboard and BIOS have not been altered, which was originally mated to a 40GB HD.

I slaved my defective HD to a Western Digital 120GB and took off 20 GB of music files, then defraged the defective HD and the problem was cured.

Thank you Hardware Analysis for a great forum!

Gregory Pelletey Feb 11, 2007, 03:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My PC is brand new and I got that problem...so i guess that did not come from the BIOS thingy...that might be an issue with several causes..

Graham Scott Feb 20, 2007, 05:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've posted about this before stating that I'd reduced the frequency of the problem occurring to about once a month by reducing disk usage to under 100gb. Well it went 1 month 19 days this time. So I will be updating my PC's bios tonight (last night was spent doing disaster recovery). I’ll report back.

I’d like to report another symptom (that I've resisted mentioning since I thought it was probably too specific to my machine). Every time it fails I’ve noticed that the second (white on black) bios screen has characters missing. I don’t know if this helps solving the problem but I’ve tried to reproduce the screen below just in case (I have a photo as well):-

USB Storage Device : USB Storage Device
Pri. Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability .... Enabled

PCI device listing …
Bus No Device No Func No. Vendor/Device Class Dev ce Class IRQ

0 11 0 1106 3038 0C03 Serial Bus Cntrlr 5
0 11 1 1106 3038 0C03 Serial Bus Cntrlr 11
0 11 2 1106 3104 0C03 Serial Bus Cntrlr 11
0 12 0 10B7 9200 0200 Network Cntrlr 11
0 17 1 1106 0571 0101 IDE Cntrlr 14
17 2 1106 3038 0C03 Serial Bus Cntrlr 5
0 17 3 1106 3038 0C03 Serial Bus Cntrlr 5
0 17 5 1106 3059 0401 Multimedia Device 12
1 0 0 10DE 0326 0300 Display Cntrlr 11
ACPI Controller 9
Verifying DMI Pool Data ....................
Boot from CD :

A disk read error occured
Press Ctrl.Alt.Del to restart

Note the missing “I” in “Device Class” and the Bus No. for the first Serial Bus Cntrlr (which should be 0). I've checked the screen when all ok and these are the only changes.

Barry Fidez Feb 22, 2007, 10:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A hardware engineer from Taiwan informed that older Motherboards with updated BIOS's that have this problem occur suddenly for no reason may have a timing issue on the IDE bus due to aging capacitors. This is especially true for boards that are made in China with second rate (or worse) components. The other reason he gave is: The BIOS on older Motherboards is set-up such that any disk access of SYSTEM FILES that are used at boot-up (most notable the files pointed to by the MBR) that are outside the 137gig address range will cause the system to hang, This usually occurs when the MBR is "fixed" and XP reloaded, placing the system files OUTSIDE this range because of clutter on the hard drive taking up the "GOOD SPOTS" as he called them.

Hope this helps U all.

Hope that this helps.

Hassan Ali Feb 23, 2007, 04:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi folks, I have been reading through this thread as of course i have encountered the same problem as most of you!

I am quite a newbie when it comes to this so please bear with me !!

Like most when i start up my Vaio Laptop it goes to the "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" messege, however when i press ctrl, alt and del the screen just goes black then nothing happens.

As many have said that this may be a cause of Bios etc, i do not know what you mean by this and would really appreciate if someone could explain this and how i could access and update my bios. What is concerning me is that i just cant do anything when it comes to that messege, i cant open my cd drive, access any files, nothing at all !!!!

Any further help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chase Park Mar 02, 2007, 02:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gregory Pelletey said:
My PC is brand new and I got that problem...so i guess that did not come from the BIOS thingy...that might be an issue with several causes..

Wow! This thread has been running for over three years and still no one knows the exact answer. That's hard to believe. After reading thru 14 long pages - with many very well intentioned people offering solutions - this topic is still a mystery and is clearly unsolved.
How can this be?

I would think that this thread could be forwarded to Microsoft engineers, specifically to the development team that crafted that exact error message, so this issue could be listed as a "known fixable issue".

What about it, Mods -- can you get this thread over to Microsoft? 21 steps to try to resolve this seems like a lot of wasted time and effort.

Thanks,

Chase

Gentry Smith Mar 03, 2007, 03:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Updating to the latest BIOS worked for me!

I have an HP Vectra470. I got the error while trying to install XP onto a new replacement HD (300GB Seagate Barracuda).

I logged on to HP's site and found the BIOS update; Downloaded and ran it. Its great that one can flash the BIOS directly from within windows. Anyway, thankfully it worked. I could complete the installation.

Courtney Johnson Mar 06, 2007, 04:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2007, 04:48am EST

First I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions offered, which pointed towards this fix, which I haven't seen here.

- Download Hiren's BootCD 8.8 (I'll leave it up to you to find it...). Burn and boot into it.
When you see the menu, select 'Next', then select MBR Tools, and finally Partition Table Doctor.
OR
- Get the latest version from ptdd.com.

Select the 'faulty' HDD.
If PTD detected some sort of error, you'll see a little 'x' besides the partition number.
Select that partition, click on 'Operations' and then 'fixboot'.

If everything goes according to plan, you should get something like 'Congrats PTD successfully fixed your partition!'

Reboot and voila, XP starts without any actual HDD mod/conversion/...

Hope this helps out a few of you guys.

Edit: Also, just a thought, but the reason why this issue hasn't been addressed much by major companies is: it's a generic message which occurs in way too many different problematic cases. So it's hard for anyone to know the exact cause and issue a proper fix.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.