Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 752 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 07:01pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Ken Xong May 25, 2007, 03:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
This must be the simplest of all the replys to fixing this damn problem (exuse my excessive use of slang and or language on this reply)

When using the installation of windows there's the option to repair installation of windows bla bla bla type r to repair
you all know what i mean about that portion of the install

well go ahead and hit the r key to enter the repair through the boot up
select the partition that your system crashed on or the primary partition if it hadn't crashed on you while the os was on

once there type help
you should see a command called REPAIRBOOT or something along the lines of that
use that command
that'll repair the boot sector of the partition you are on/the primary os

after that go ahead and restart and watch your windows loading bar.....hopefully

hope that helped some of you

~KS
----------------------------------------------------
If you don't trouble the rest of the world, there's no harm in being abnormal.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Joao Soares May 25, 2007, 11:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 25, 2007, 12:24pm EDT

Hi,

As I said before, it doesn´t work. It doesn't do anything.

I could run fixboot as many times as I want but nothing changes...
Disk is NFTS, can't seem to see if clusters are at 4k or 8k because the programs I use don't seem to agree on its size.

By the way, I got the disk error message after I tried to copy a file from my external disk to another one (nothing to do with C unless temp folders or something).
It gave me a crc message (the file was in rar) and soon after that a pop up alert told me windows had some sort of corruption on drive c and to do a scandisk to it.
I tried but it say some critical files were not available because they were in use. It would work if I rebooted.
I found that odd so I checked my AV and did an online scan Everything was fine. That is when I rebooted my computer and got the disk error message.

Any other sugestions?

Thanks

Anthony Linnett Jul 25, 2007, 06:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Gigabyte 965P-S3 and a WD 320 sata disk. I started receiving this error after a bios update and a reset to defaults. It turned out that I had enabled "Use SATA native mode" in the bios when WinXP was installed and the reset cleared it. Re-enabling fixed the disk read error for me.

Michael Mystery Aug 06, 2007, 12:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok everyone, I had this problem and just fixed it on the computer I was working on. since everyone has suffered for over 16 pages of this disk read error crap, I'm gonna tell you how I fixed my problem. The problem on my computer was not a software problem at all, and somehow I doubt that everyone else's is a software problem also. Actually I guarantee it! I changed the ribbon of the hard drive, and I also did reformats like crazy. What a waste of time. Mine was a MOTHERBOARD problem. If you guys haven't checked, then look at your motherboard for any bloated capacitors. I had a bloated cap on mine and that's what was causing the problem. It was so bad to the point that the cap was leaking! Buy a new motherboard! That's the fix on this problem. Good luck to you all!

Michael Mystery Aug 06, 2007, 01:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok everyone, I had this problem and just fixed it on the computer I was working on. since everyone has suffered for over 16 pages of this disk read error crap, I'm gonna tell you how I fixed my problem. The problem on my computer was not a software problem at all, and somehow I doubt that everyone else's is a software problem also. Actually I guarantee it! I changed the ribbon of the hard drive, and I also did reformats like crazy. What a waste of time. Mine was a MOTHERBOARD problem. If you guys haven't checked, then look at your motherboard for any bloated capacitors. I had a bloated cap on mine and that's what was causing the problem. It was so bad to the point that the cap was leaking! Buy a new motherboard! That's the fix on this problem. Good luck to you all!

Dave Herrington Aug 06, 2007, 02:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to everyone's work on this topic. You have all been very helpful and encouraging to me. After a week of being stuck on this error in the middle of an upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional to Vista on my old Dell, I didn't really FIX the Disk Read Error problem, but I found a viable WORKAROUND, at least for my situation. Cutting to the chase, the solution for me was to use Grub to boot the partition containing Windows, bypassing my system's standard booting process (details below). Whatever is causing the problem on my system has to do with the way the BIOS boots the O/S, and it doesn't seem like Vista's new approach (which may be more similar to XP's approach than W2k, since there was no problem on my system with W2k, but many expressed issues in this forum with XP -- but I never attempted XP on my system). Anyhoo, Grub allowed me to bypass the maddening Disk Read Error!

What I'm running:
-------------------------
Circa-1999 Dell Dimension XPS t700r
(700MHz CPU does not meet Vista 800 MHz requirement, but upgrading anyway)
20GB Western Digital HD (so I don't have the large disk size problem that some others have)
512MB RAM
Previously running Windows 2000 Professional

What I did to solve my problem:
----------------------------------------------
1. Upgraded system BIOS to the latest available for my system (A11).

2. Repartitioned to a single 20GB partition and reformatted to NTFS (I tried the suggestion of formatting to FAT32, but Vista doesn't support it, so I had to go back to NTFS).

3. Did a fresh install of Windows 2000 Pro and applied SP4 (my copy of Vista is an upgrade, so I couldn't just install a fresh copy of Vista). System performed flawlessly.

4. Ran Vista upgrade process. When system tried to reboot in the middle of the upgrade, this is where I received the dreaded "Disk Read Error" message.

5. I booted from the Vista install DVD to get to a Vista command prompt and tried many of the fixes outlined in this forum, including running the Vista "bootrec /fixMbr", "bootrec /fixboot" and "bootsect /NT60 All" commands, and I experimented with the bcdedit command line utility, but nothing fixed the problem.

6. Using a different computer, I downloaded the "UItimate Boot CD" image (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com) and put it on a CD, booted from it on the troubled system and tried several of its utilities.

7. From the booted Ultimate Boot CD, ran "Super Grub Disk V0.9590", available under Filesystem Tools -> Boot Managers. I used its "Boot Partition" feature (English Super Grub Disk -> Boot & Tools -> Boot Partition), selecting my only partition (#1) which contains the Windows O/S, to boot the system.

EUREKA!!! IT WORKED!!! The system booted the Vista Setup program from the HD, and I was able to complete the Vista upgrade.

The second round of booting, required to finish the Vista install, I successfully used the "Boot Windows" feature of Grub (English Super Grub Disk -> Windows -> Boot Windows), and Vista again booted normally. Either Grub feature worked for me.

VICTORY! Despite not meeting the minimum requirements, Vista is running on my old Dell!

My next task is to see if I can figure out how to fix my system's boot process so I'm not required to boot from my Ultimate Boot CD and run Grub every time I reboot, but I'm a HECK of a lot happier than I was before, when I was dead-ended with the Disk Read Error!!!

Good luck getting around your disk read error. I hope my solution might help others that find themselves in my situation!

Sincerely,
-Dave H.
IT Professional

Andrew Streat Aug 20, 2007, 03:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this problem with a Dell Dimension 4300 using Windows XP SP 2, 512 ram, and an IDE Western Digital 160 gig hard drive. And I tried most of the techniques posted on this subject here to solve the problem with nothing working. That is when I realize they can be many causes for this error, but you first have to find out if the problem is cause by the motherboard, OS, or Hard Drive.

I started by first using a hardware diagnostic(it is called Check It) to find out if the motherboard, and the the installed hardware components were ok, and they checked out ok. Next, I went to my hard drive manufacturer website using another computer and downloaded and installed to a diskette any tools they had for checking the hard drive since I could not boot using my CD drive. In my case they had a program called Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools, and I ran it and it told my hard drive was find. But on the program they also had a program to update the MBR(Master Boot Record). I did it, rebooted my computer, and the hard drive worked.

Now I am looking into the reason for my MBR to fail. I suspect a virus which went pass my Zone Alarm and Spy Sweeper software.
Bye Andrew

Curtis Dillahay Sep 07, 2007, 01:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
Don't know if you've tried this, but it worked for me.
On a friend's Dell Dimension 8600 (I think), XP was giving the "disk read error" message, just like is mentioned here. I tried the disk utility that was made for the drive, it reported clean with a minor error. Window repair wouldn't read it at all.
After that, I tried booting again, and noticed during boot an "Error reading c:\windows\config system" message that flashed just before the "disk read error."
I booted with a Linux live CD, and was able to gain read/write access to the XP file system, went to the c:\windows\config folder, there was no "system" file there. On a whim, I created a zero length file named "system" in the folder, and rebooted.
I was shocked to see it, but the system booted normally, and went right into the GUI.
That was a year ago, and the machine has been fine ever since.

Got a nice bottle of single malt out of that job!

alan niven Oct 02, 2007, 12:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
I have a sony viao lap top which is about years old. was not chewap. I get this disc read error and when i do system restore it sometimes works and sometimes does not! Leave it for a week or so then try again and for some strange reasosn works - I am doing nothing new!. The machinme then perates foine for a couple of weeks then only today, I sitch off at 11.00am -switch back0n at 11.15 and met with that dreadful statement again "disc read error occured blah blah. This s pathetic and i will uy a cheap lap tgop that will probably be more reliablke than a sony. I am no pc expert but want to swtich on and off the damn thing without wondering what it is upo to. Can anyone in lay man terms tell me why this is happening??
Very grateful.

Andrew Streat Oct 02, 2007, 01:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Alan,

you need to give some pics on your system: Make of computer, hard drive maker and size, operating system being use, and how much ram you have.

By the way how old is the battery on your laptop?

Here is one route to take first:

Update the system bios if you can by downloading a new version from the manufacturer website.
Andrew

Andrew Streat Oct 02, 2007, 01:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Curtis,

I did try your method and it did not work on my system(s). I have (2) Dell 4300, and guess what. Both suffer the same problem around the same time. With the second one, I fix it by the pulling the battery off the motherboard, and re-installing it again and the system started working. Now I am waiting to see how long they work, but I make sure that each time before I close my computers. I back up the important information.

I am also thinking of either upgrading the systems or buying new ones.

Andrew

Graham Scott Oct 03, 2007, 08:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have posted on this subject a few times in the past, because I would get this message every couple of weeks or so. As I do a full back up a regular basis, I could just swop to a back up disk so I actually stopped trying to recover from the problem but I still wanted to find the cause. I did find it seemed worse when I had over 100 GB of data on the disk but, even keeping below this figure, eventually the problem would occur. On the 21st of Feb 2007 I decided to upgrade my motherboard to the latest bios (Matsonic MS8137C+). I am pleased to report that now, nearly 8 month latter, I have not had a single re-occurrence of the disk read error problem.

I wish I could say I’ve not had any problems during this time but, as usual with computers, I have had a few. One of my two backup disks failed and I replaced it. I Also had to revert to a backup twice when all my icons changed to having an extension “LNK” and none of my “EXE” or “COM” files would work – I did find a solution (but not the cause) to that but decided to revert to a backup anyway.

I’m not saying that updating the bios will solve it for everyone but it’s worth a try. I hope this will be my last post to this thread.

Ghettochild K Oct 05, 2007, 12:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had 2 computers that had this problem. On 1 of the computers i disabled the Hard S.M.A.R.T in the bios and disabled the virus protection in the bios and that fixed the problem.

The other computer, i found out that it was the Asus motherboard causing this. I bought a new gigabyte motherboard and the problems went away.

I hope this info helps

alan niven Oct 05, 2007, 11:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Andrew, Further to my post of 02 Oct and your response. Model is sony Viaio VGN-FS215B. 512 Mb andHD 80 Gb. I hate it. Retryed full system recovery and message says "the recovery partitionis active". When use the disc to recover it only lets me go for full recovery and not C drive recovery. Frankly I dont care - so just wnt for full recovery this ime. Goes through the motions - finishes, restarts and still getting same message. Battery - like the computer is still less than 2 years old and a waste of money!

Lew Burgher Oct 26, 2007, 10:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Lew Burgher Oct 26, 2007, 10:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
First Off, check your HDD mode settings in the BIOS. If you are set for UDMA mode change it to LBA. Some BIOS settings wont show LBA mode, in that case just turn UDMA mode off. That fixes this issue most of the time. Save your BIOS settings and try again.

Update your BIOS if possible. Always a good practice.

Andrew Streat Oct 29, 2007, 11:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you are getting a blue or grey screen before the hard drive powers and start windows. That tells me that there is a recognition problem in your bios program. The first half of any computer start up is all bios, and then it switch over to hard drive once all the checks are completed and load windows file or any program on the hard drive that must be start first.

If you can upgraded bios loaded on to a floppy drive, I would try by downloading from the manufacturer website then install it on the laptop by loading it from floppy. If this fails, then the problem might be the motherboard. I would also contact sony to see if they have any suggestions on fixing this problem since you can't be the first person with this problem.

This is such a complex problem that in order to really help you, I would need to see what start up functions that are occurring with your computer before the error message screen.

Andrew

Bob Fray Dec 12, 2007, 06:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i had windows vista on my computer and tried dual booting with xp... ran into the same problems as most of you all.

i shrank my drive. partitioned it as ntfs. inserted my xp install disc. installed xp on new partition. it restarted to finish the install and it said "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart." so i inserted my vista install disc and clicked on repair your computer and it started vista. then i downloaded EasyBCD and added an entry and clicked save. i restarted my computer and IT WORKED!!!!! YAY!!!

this page really helped me...
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

chris charles Dec 21, 2007, 10:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had similar problem when I restored an image of XP onto a laptop PC.
I used bootit to restore the image and I resized it to a larger size.
The image was created on a desktop PC.

None of my tricks I use to make my images function worked!

When I installed XP from the CD onto free space the laptop booted no problem.

I fix computers. I use images because everything is already setup...just need to install drivers for motherboard devices. Images save tons of time!

I have decided to use the customer's laptop to create a vista image. I am hopeful this Vista image will work on desktop PCs too!

Unfortunately, I don't own a recent high end desktop PC I need to create images of Windows.

http://drpcdr.ca

The laptop is a gateway W340UI with 80GB HD. It came loaded with Vista Home

akshay jain Dec 22, 2007, 12:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>>  try rubbing the whole hradisk
first try repair windows by the installation cd .. if not done then erase 63 sec of hard disk by seagate hdd cds or by any disk tools software ryt from the booting..

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.