Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1421 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 12:15am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
akshay jain Dec 22, 2007, 12:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
restart pc use a repair tool included in windows installation cd

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
akshay jain Dec 22, 2007, 12:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
just repair disk or errase fully 63 sec

Mika Peuralahti Dec 29, 2007, 01:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!

I have exactly the same problem. I took power cable off from my computer and keeped it 10 sec without cable, then i plug it again and started the computer and it start normaly, but when i reboot my computer the disk error came again. But always i can start windows when i take the cable off for few secs.

p m Jan 10, 2008, 11:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks, J B!

I have a 2002 Dell Dimension 4550 and the HD died. I bought a Western Digital WD Caviar SE 160 GB HD and got the dreaded "A Disk Read Error Occured" after reinstalling Win XP.

I restarted about 6 times, checked cables, tried to change BIOS settings. In the end, your step #4 did it.

"4) Once again, shut down computer and make sure no drive errors when I start it up again (restarts don't seem to work). I usually leave it off for 15secs."

I could not believe something so simple worked!

Wil Sar Jan 12, 2008, 03:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello!

My computer wasn't detecting my HDD and then when i finally got it to detect it, i get this "A Disk Read Error Occurred" msg. And so, i went ahead and tried to fix the problem by using WinXp Install disk, but when promted to hit any key to reboot from the disk i get a black screen instead of the blue one!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you!

Hans Gonzalez Jan 16, 2008, 03:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just started to getting the same error but with a Windows Server 03. The first time i got it i just had to restart the server and everything was working fine. Now that i ran some updates on my data base, i had to restart my machine again and i got the same error again. Restarted a few times and nothing. Made sure all my cables were firmky connected but still getting error.
I had to server for about 3 years with no problems. Could this be as simple as a bad hard drive?

Owain Antcliff Jan 30, 2008, 06:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone, this happened to me 20 minutes ago for the first time and I now have it working.

I have a Western Digital drive (120GB) - year old computer, windows XP fully up to date, just for reference.

As usual I tried the things on here which were the least effort first - that being someone mentioning just taking the power-lead out for 15 seconds.

Having given me the "A Disk Read Error" and then not being found at all, my drive kicked in to life and it booted up perfectly.

The kind person who recommended this also said that it wouldn't restart correctly. But each time the 15 second taking the power lead out worked - this wasn't the case for me, it restarts fine - but even if it is - at least you can get all contents off first etc.

This whole problem smacks of BIOS and powerpack. I'd definately take out the CMOS battery for 10 seconds if the power cable trick doesn't work - as it takes no time at all - and will revert to the original BIOS. Then I'd change the powerpack.

I have a spare. If mine falls off the wagon again, I will swap it out and report back. Theirs nothing worse than people not saying if they managed to fix it!

paul douglas Feb 09, 2008, 07:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
and i got this for the first time ina dual boot machine. It still boots into linux , so i dont think its a grub /mbr problem.
when i boot into linux and mount the windows partition I get the same message (a disk read error occured ) heres grub and the results of the mounted windows file system
heres grub

abc-304-smc78 windows # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Kernel
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda4 video=vesafb:1024x768-32@75

title=Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title=Memtest86
root (hd0,1)
kernel /memtest86/memtest.bin
abc-304-smc78 windows #

starting in XP gives the message
"Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7"
chainloader +1
A disk read error occured .

booting into linux and mounting the windows partition gives

abc-304-smc78 windows # ls -la /mnt/windows
ls: cannot access /mnt/windows/RECYCLER: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /mnt/windows/rfstool: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /mnt/windows/sqmdata00.sqm: Input/output error
ls: reading directory /mnt/windows: Input/output error
total 802764
dr-x------ 1 root root 12288 Feb 3 05:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 144 Sep 3 2006 ..
dr-x------ 1 root root 0 Apr 29 2004 ALIENWARE
-r-------- 1 root root 0 Mar 8 2004 AUTOEXEC.BAT
-r-------- 2 root root 7578 Mar 8 2004 AlienFactoryStatus.ini
-r-------- 2 root root 781 Mar 8 2004 AlienSetupLauncherStatus.ini
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Nov 17 11:41 BlueJ
-r-------- 1 root root 0 Mar 8 2004 CONFIG.SYS
dr-x------ 1 root root 0 Jul 28 2006 Crestron
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Jan 5 10:21 Documents and Settings
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Dec 24 10:52 Games
-r-------- 1 root root 0 Mar 8 2004 IO.SYS
-r-------- 1 root root 0 Mar 8 2004 MSDOS.SYS
-r-------- 1 root root 47564 Oct 2 2004 NTDETECT.COM
dr-x------ 1 root root 0 Apr 21 2005 NVIDIA
dr-x------ 1 root root 16384 Jan 26 13:30 Program Files
dr-x------ 1 root root 16384 Jan 26 13:30 Program Files
d????????? ? ? ? ? ? RECYCLER
-r-------- 1 root root 1070 Aug 14 2006 amy.txt
-r-------- 1 root root 211 Oct 2 2004 boot.ini
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 3 2006 delta
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 2006 mplayer
-r-------- 1 root root 250032 Oct 2 2004 ntldr
-r-------- 1 root root 805306368 Feb 3 02:36 pagefile.sys
dr-x------ 1 root root 36864 Aug 18 2006 photos
d????????? ? ? ? ? ? rfstool
-????????? ? ? ? ? ? sqmdata00.sqm
abc-304-smc78 windows #

Ioannis Ioannou Feb 18, 2008, 11:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to everyone's work on this topic.

I have an HP Compaq nx6125 laptop (AMD Sempron) with OS WIN XP SP2 and I had the same problem a month ago. I formated the computer and upgrade the bios and it seems to work for a whole month...

But yesterday the same problem apeared.

I don't Know what to do.

Anyone please help me.

Ddanz Feb 19, 2008, 01:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the easiest way to fix this is to put your HD into a cube or another computer.. then transfer your data... reformat then transfer your data back in... i did this just today...

Maik Maikowski Feb 22, 2008, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 22, 2008, 03:44pm EST

thanks for everyone !!! i got this problem few weeks ago and it drove me crazy till now ! I couldnt install my windows xp :D

My story:
when i put win cd (bootable) on DVD-rom and restart, it shows BIOS post, then the text ,,press any key to boot from cd,, bla bla bla and STOP. when i press a key, i see message, that my hardware is being inspected (sorry for my spelling) and then.... BLACK SCREEN.

So, i know, that my HDD is bad (maybe with bad sectors) but NOT that bad, that it couldnt install win xp :D
so i knew, my HDD was not dead (only 1 year old). Everything was fine. All i had to do, was to format damaged (C:\) partition with Hiren's BootCD 9.4 tools :) I used partion magic, and formated it to FAT32 (in other, D partion, with my ALL data, i left NTFS).
So thats it. No damaged cables or bad BIOS version. My problem was in my damaged C:\ partition.

i hope my info will help someone ;)

specifications:

AMD (64) Athlon 3000+
MSI MS-7260 nForce550 mb
Samsung SATA HDD 160 GB
RAM 512 MB PQI
GeForce 7300 GT
and so on...

Oh, and i forgot... windows really sux!!!..

Ioannis Ioannou Feb 23, 2008, 05:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I agree with Maik Maikowski!

I solve the problem with a new disk and until now everything is ok!!!

akshay jain Feb 24, 2008, 06:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
:O do one thing....
if you get the disk read error ..
get any harddisk utility cd and then boot from it. check is it showing any of your drive if yes then bingo!!you just need to reinstall windows , your hard disk is good , if not then arrange some space in graveyard for your hard-disk! ;;''may god bless her'':D

Maik Maikowski Feb 24, 2008, 07:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 24, 2008, 07:11am EST

yes, i also wanted to notice, that this problem is "windows related", not a bad hard drive or something. Its....windows, thats it. ( well, in almost all cases).

I have chosen Hiren's BootCD, though, i only used it's Partion Magic utility. I dont know, maybe i am just lucky, but thats my opinion.

again, thanks for this forum, for this topic and users, cause i was ready for taking my PC to the warranty :D (and all my data would be lost, i think)

cash4u Mar 01, 2008, 09:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had same problem, I had to reformat and partition and problem went away...and so far has now returned.

cash4u Mar 01, 2008, 09:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Correction...Had same problem, I had to reformat and partition and problem went away...and so far has NOT returned.

Diederik ter Huurne Mar 03, 2008, 05:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 03, 2008, 05:32pm EST

It seems that the error occurs regurly, but I can not believe that.

I got the error on my freshly installed XP sp2, after installing the latest Nvidia Display Drivers, so that could cause problems.
But I also installed drivers for my printer, that is connected via USB. I downloaded the latest drivers from Epson, and I got the message that the drivers did not have a signature (I do not know the exact name, but it has something to do that the drivers are not officially suited for XP). So that could cause the problem too.
I looked at the bios, and saw USB ports and multimedia devices sharing the same IRQ (that can cause problems too, doesn't it?). So I disabled the USB ports, but that didn't help.

I am currently running a Seatools long test (2nd time), since I got a Maxtor HDD. It found numerous errors already, bad block numbers or something like that. But many of them couldn't be repaired, why not?
I hope running it for a second time will help.

I will post later on whether or not the Seatools fixed the problem. If not, I will come back with the fixboot and/or chkdsk / r solution. IF I am able to boot from my XP cd-rom...

Regards,

Diederik ter Huurne Mar 04, 2008, 02:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I forgot to mention that the computer has recently been brought to a local computer repair shop, because of boot-up failures (blue screen e.g.). There they told there was something wrong with the registry. But the fact that those errors seem to pop up out of nowhere is frustrating.

So I finished my second long test with seatools last night. It discovered I think even more errors than the first run. At 75% it found about 100 errors in a row, and without getting to 100%, it showed the option to repair them, but again just a few could be rapaired. :(
So does this mean that my hdd contains many bad sectors or something? It seems to be damaged indeed.

Rebooting the machine still doesn't work. And also booting from the XP cd-rom doesn't work. (black screen, and the computer completely stalls).
So booting from the Seatools bootable cd works, but booting from the xp cd-rom does not...

Maik Maikowski Mar 04, 2008, 07:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well, how i told before, try to boot from Hiren's BootCD (you should first make it, find in google how to do it, its free), and i am sure, that you will be able to boot your PC from that CD :)
After that....there is one common cure - format C:\, cause the problem is named " windows ".
I dont know other way how to help you, cause i am not the expert. So i told you the fastest way.

I may be wrong, and of course, all your DATA will be lost after formating this partition. So i hope, you have a D disk for DATA. :)

Diederik ter Huurne Mar 05, 2008, 02:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You mean checking the hdd for errors is not necessary, just format the thing and you done?
Because last night I ran a hdd check (with a generic software program, instead of the HDD manufacturer tool).
It found 1360 errors, and it is now repairing them (some can not be repaired).
Does a format solve (MBR) boot errors? Because I don't mind formatting (again :-)) but I would really like to see now problems afterwards...

And I refuse to let a stupid error force me to buy a new HDD (they don't cost that much nowadays, I know)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.