Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1175 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 06:31pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
David Cox Mar 05, 2008, 10:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
Thanks to everyone on this forum - it's been very useful since I started getting this problem last year.

I agree with those who have worked out it isn't the HDD, the MBR etc. I discovered early on that the NTFS MFT (Master File Table) was OK - the disk could be read OK on another machine. It wasn't the MBR - I used a program called MBR Tool to save and restore that. When I had to upgrade the drive to a bigger one (using Acronis true Image) the problem resurfaced after a couple of weeks. I suspect that it is some interaction between windows (XP) and the BIOS - but I haven't yet found out what.

When I've tried support calls to try to resolve this it always seems to be the invisible Someone Else's Problem - straight out of Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

The problem appears to have gone away for the time being - after I re-partitioned the drive, to separate my data from the system and make restoration faster, something got corrupted. The computer (an HP laptop) always starts with a beep, and a <<Non System Disk - press any key>> message. I press any key and it starts normally.

If that means I don't have to restart the HDD from an image - which even with only the now smaller system partition to reload takes over an hour - i can live with an extra key press each time I start.

What I am wondering is if the original problem is with the HDD partition table rather than the MBR itself.

Hope this may help anyone trying to find the fundamental cause, which from other topics on this forum, and posts on other ones, seems quite common.

I've also done a routine update to the BIOS, so don't know if that will have any effect.

I'm also glad that I'm paranoid about back up, and so haven't lost any files as a result of this issue.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
John Hartzog Mar 05, 2008, 09:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
Had the same problem with a Dell e521 running Vista business.

The steps in the following MSFT knowledge base article worked (even though I did not attempt to install dual boot, or do anything for that matter, to cause the problem.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933179/en-us

I do now have a (useless) multi-boot menu, but the PC works fine.

Diederik ter Huurne Mar 06, 2008, 02:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the tip (although I do not have Vista, yet).

They do mention installing an earlier version on a Vista machine. But installing an earlier OS than the one already installed is never recommended.

I seem to have solved my problem booting up from Hiren's Boot CD, doing all kinds of tests (I think I could have done it without testing, and just start with a format right away). And finally use the Maxtor's own older tool (thus not the new Sea Tool), to do a low level format. I also 'fixed' my master boot record.

Than I rebooted again with the Hiren CD, and made some new partitions. A smaller primary one for windows to install on, and a larger one for DATA (what is usually done I think). Oh, and one more thing. I formatted them to FAT32.

I rebooted, this time with the Windows XP CD, and for the first time since ages, that worked. The setup mentioned someting about formatting the partition to FAT of NTFS. But I chose the option leave the partitions unchanged.
Windows is installing now (I hope, i went to work :-))

I will come back later, to let know if it succeeded.

Jordan Stanbrook Mar 11, 2008, 05:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found this topic by googling "Disk Read Error"

Now, I didn't bother to scroll through every page as that'd take a long time xD!

I received this error after attempting an overclock but setting the vcore too low, just to see if it would work (it didnt _)

Anyway, i found that the issue was caused when i set my bios back to default settings - and i found the solution!

In my case anyway, the reason the disk read error occured was because the "configure sata as" option in my bios was set to IDE - a quick change to RAID (because my drives are raided) fixed the problem - _NOTHING_ else was altered.

For those of you with raided drives that receive this error, try what i did :) And hey, those without raid,try it anyway, its worth a shot.

Diederik ter Huurne Mar 11, 2008, 05:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Update:

Windows is still running fine (updated everything, installed virusscanner etc).
So now waiting for the error to pop up out of nowhere again :-)

B A Mar 12, 2008, 10:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm having an issue reguarding the Disk read error, but also a few others.. It's a strange situation, so I'll try to explain.

I was given a laptop to try and install XP on from someone at work, however, the laptop won't read from my XP CD. So I removed the hard drive from the laptop, and placed it into my sisters laptop, and formatted, installed XP from there (I've done this with someone else's computer before, and it worked perfectly). But when I put the hard drive back into the original laptop, I get the DRE error. I also had another error on a previous attempt, it said NTLDR is missing. That's gone away, and I'm stuck with this disk read error.

Is there anyway to install XP on one machine and transfer the hard drive to another computer? Or was I just lucky the first time? I feel terrible that this laptop isn't running, it was working before - sort of. Running Windows ME and crashing everytime the thing started.

Kevin Lewis Mar 12, 2008, 11:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay folks, I have a strange one.

I have a HTPC running Vista. When I turned on my tv setup this morning, the screen was dark and I could not wake it out of sleep mode. So, I reset the computer, and when it came up, I got the "disk read error occurred" message (I now hate that message)

So, I have checked the BIOS, it appears to be updated and it recognizes my SATA hard drive in there.

I try to boot up using the Vista CD, but I encounter the same problem "disk read error" The weird thing is that when I changed the SATA drive from IDE to Raid, I can load up the Vista disk, but of course it won't install because it doesn't find the HD any more.

Does this sound like a straight hard drive failure, or should I try something else?

Thanks

Patrick McCann Mar 27, 2008, 03:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone.
I had this problem with a new Seagate drive after about 3 months. One morning I powered on my PC and found this message instaed of the usual desktop. I tried the usual things like fixboot,fixmbr, fidsk, etc without success. The drive could be read in a USB enclosure which would suggest either 1, the boot sector of the disk got corrupted or 2, The motherboard BIOS got corrupted and as a result wasn't reading the boot sector of the disk at all or was doing so incorrectly.
I finally flashed teh motherboard BIOS and the problem was fixed. I find that BIOS chips wear out after several years.. I still use a P4 1.9 i850 RAMBUS motherboard which still does the job for me. I had to replace the motherboard about a year ago due to the bios failing. The replacement board was an Intel which did have a more recent BIOS version ...from 2002 :)
Used this when flashing the BIOS and she is woriking again normally. Beforre you go wiping partitions and data and generally wasting your time looking at the disk, try upgrading or eevn just flashing again with the current image to see if BIOS corruptionis the culprit.
Good luck

Pat from Cork, Ireland

Matt Phat Mar 28, 2008, 08:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One of the causes of this problem is a discrepancy between the bios Harddisk "translation" mode and the setting in bootsector of the drive.

If that mode is changed in the BIOS, from "Large" to "Auto" or vice versa, it could cause this problem. The BIOS setting could change spontaneously from a flaky CMOS battery or some other hardware problem. BTW, all recent hardware should be using the "Auto" setting. The "Large" setting is a legacy function at this point.

More likely, your bootsector was corrupted or is mismatched to your volume. Perhaps it doesn't match your disk geometry because you resized your partition, or cloned an image from a non-identical drive, or moved the drive from one computer to another.

The core of this problem is likely the "BIOS parameter block (BPB)" which is a portion of data within the bootsector. More specifically it is often the # of heads setting in this chunk of data.

more info here - http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/NTFSBR.htm

If your bootsector was merely corrupted, you should be able to resolve the problem by rewriting a new bootsector (from recovery console, or running bootsect.exe from a PE disk)
Or using some other utility to restore the backup copy of your bootsector

However, if you resized your partition or did some other funny business to get yourself into this position. You may need to do something else.

I caused this problem by cloning a disk image to a larger drive. I was able to solve the problem using "RoadKil's bootbuild" in three steps. You can run bootbuild from a PE boot disk (such as UBCD4win) or use this boot disk to get back into the existing install: http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm (which is a much faster if you don't already have a PE disk)

Using bootbuild

1) Read the bootsector from the drive (back it up to a file if you like)

2) Changing the heads setting to 255 is a common solution (and worked for me)

3) Write the modified bootsector back to the disk

I believe this BPB data is not used after the 1st and 2nd stage bootloader processes have completed. So, if you are able to boot after making the changes, you should be in good shape.

surya widjaja Apr 10, 2008, 02:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have asus p5ld2....
i got same problem...
i thought that it was my hard drive ...
i bought new one...
and try to format it...
but when i tried to install windows...
its said...there is no hard drive found

why??
someone help...
my friends...ask me...why HDD cable put onto dvd reader...
someone know why???

my friends ask me...to unplug hdd cable...
and it work just fine...
at least until now...
man i'm afraid of turning off my computer...

but even though i dont turn off my comp...
my comp...will freeze...
and when i restart...
it said "disk read error "AGAINNNNNNN
dude....its so annoying

someone help...ToT

surya widjaja Apr 10, 2008, 02:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have asus p5ld2....
i got same problem...
i thought that it was my hard drive ...
i bought new one...
and try to format it...
but when i tried to install windows...
its said...there is no hard drive found

why??
someone help...
my friends...ask me...why HDD cable put onto dvd reader...
someone know why???

my friends ask me...to unplug hdd cable...
and it work just fine...
at least until now...
man i'm afraid of turning off my computer...

but even though i dont turn off my comp...
my comp...will freeze...
and when i restart...
it said "disk read error "AGAINNNNNNN
dude....its so annoying

someone help...ToT

Tom Barrister Apr 14, 2008, 11:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also had the same problem with the "A Disk Read Error....." message on boot. In my case, I often couldn't even get to BIOS setup screen; sometimes it would stop when it got to "Detecting IDE drives". Most of the time, it would stop at the "Disk Read" message, sometimes it would get part of the way into the Windows load before freezing (it didn't matter if I chose Normal boot, last good configuration, or any of the safe modes). In all cases, this only happened when my computer had been off for a while (a few hours). Once it warmed up, it worked normally, and once it was running, it had few problems.

The problem, in my case, was my DVD-RW drive was nearly shot. The wheel would spin, but neither the reader nor writer (particuarly the latter) functions were working well. In the BIOS, I had the "CDROM" set for the first boot device. Even when empty, the computer still checked it out as an IDE device, and it still checked it as the first boot device. Since it couldn't usually read it, it often hung at that point. As the computer continually polled the DVD drive, it eventually would warm up to where it'd marginally function enough to satisfy the BIOS; once this happened, I could boot into Windows, and once there, I could do whatever else I wanted (except, as I found out, use the DVD).

Everything else worked fine; no errors on the hard disk, BIOS was updated, all drivers were current, etc.

I've rarely used the DVD drive in the past few months, and I found out about it being shot when I tried to make a backup. When a disk was loaded, the DVD would spin and spin (this with four different kinds of DVD-R and DVD-RW disks and three CD burning programs, including Nero). It also wouldn't play any movies, and it rarely would read any data CD's or DVD's. I went back into the BIOS and changed the boot order to Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CDROM. Since then, the computer has booted normally.

Conclusions I've come to:

1) For BIOS's which employ "Detecting IDE Drives" before booting (The Award BIOS does this before letting you into Setup), your computer might hang if your CD/DVD drive is totally shot and won't work at all and it might not even let you into Setup, unless it has an automatic timeout function. While I'm not a technician, my guess is that in extreme cases (totally dead drives and perhaps with certain BIOS's), the DVD drive might have to be unplugged from the machine before the computer will stop trying to poll it.

2) Generally, there's some glimmer of life left in the CD/DVD drive when the error message occurs, and it will often work enough, once warmed up, to allow you into Windows. Heat from the rest of the computer will keep it warm enough to work a little if your computer is rebooted.

3) If "CDROM" is set as a boot device before "Hard Disk", the computer is more likely to reach the "Disk Read" error message, as it may hang while trying to poll the drive, before it tries the Hard Disk. Setting "Hard Disk" before "CDROM" should fix that (at least at that stage).

4) I'm guessing that Windows also polls the CD/DVD drive as it detects Plug and Play devices while it boots. If the drive is unresponsive, Windows might (or might not) hang for a long time, until Windows gives up and moves on. Disabling the drive in Hardware may fix that issue (mine isn't, although it probably should be).

I'm also getting a "New Hardware found" message (I haven't installed anything, and everything else is working), which I assume is related to the CD/DVD drive's non-functionality. When I replace the drive, I'll know more.

After reading this thread, and searching elsewhere on the Internet, I've come to the conclusion that many others have: we get the "Disk Read" error for many different reasons, so there's no one magic fix for all. The fact is that the BIOS and/or Windows can't read a disk drive. This doesn't have to be a hard drive--it can be a CD/DVD drive, and it might also be other kinds of drives, as well. It doesn't have to be the drive's fault; it could be the BIOS or something else. A cable could be frayeed, something could be loose inside, a jumper could be wrong, etc. Unfortunately, there's no one solution, and the best bet is probably to let a service technician deal with it.

Jarrod Wiggins Apr 15, 2008, 10:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem, bought this computer in Jan, then today (April) after no hardware/software changes that error popped up and I couldnt get into windows. I went into the BIOS and loaded all the default settings and it worked again. The only settings I had changed in the past was downclocking the memory speed from 800hz to 677Mhz or whatever those usual numbers are. Not sure what could have changed settings without my approval.

Long story short, just try reseting your BIOS settings (usually hit delete as the computer starts up)

ken armstrong Apr 16, 2008, 09:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi all,

first of all i would like to thank all those who have posted in this thread, it helped me no end...

i have been dealing with systems on and off for around 10 yrs and just this week was the first time i had ever come accross this dreaded error msg...

i found many interesting and informative posts and all helped me work through this anoying problem. in the end i was able to fix it and got the system up and running, rebooting and powering down fine now.

on reloading OS xp i had to reformat in NTFS (only option avail, unless partition drive 250gb) so did so but set BIOS to large as previously suggested in thread.

the OS installed and rebooted fine. done all the updates and rebooted as required. all working fine, powered down overnight.

started sys in the morning only to come accross this error again!! sat and looked at the BIOS to find it had reset to defaults....?? pondered this over breakfast, deciding whether an accidental trip and fall down the stairs was a good idea...... decided it was not and thought to change the MBRD Battery, did this and reset BIOS settings..

rebooted and everything came back no problems. powered down again, checked that evening and again the following morning and still no error msg.....

so conclusion on my problem, BIOS and Battery were an issue... hope this helps someone else..

thanks again all posters ;)

Tonya Myers Apr 19, 2008, 06:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, guys!

I'm totally lost.

Here's my story, any help that you can give would be awesome.

I have a 2 or 3 year old laptop, Compaq Presario V5000 that runs XP, I just have one hard drive (c:).

Let me take the time here to explain that I don't know a whole lot about computers. I can get myself around for what I need, but when I started reading this thread I was totally lost. All these terms with just "letters" that I have never heard before is really throwing me for a loop.

I'm just your normal female that knows how to check her email, save stuff, and download pictures.

A few days ago, I was checking my email and I could tell that my computer was just running "slugglish", of course....this has happened before, so I figured that I better take the time to back up right then and there, just in case!

Done checking the email (no attachments in the email, so I know that this didn't happen from some recent virus I may have gotten), and shut down the computer until I could get it hooked up to the external drive to back up.

I'll give you 3 guesses on what happened when I started the computer:
NOTHING!!

The main screen came up that says "COMPAQ" and has some sort of text about "boot" at the bottom. Like press "esc" to do something, f8 does something else, ect.

Once that goes away I can hear the computer trying to be good and start up for me, but it's being stubborn! I get a black screen with:
A disk read error occured.
Press CNRL ALT DEL to restart

WFT?????

OK, so I pressed that and the same thing keeps happening! I can't get passed this to even get to the windows start up page to do anything! Thank God I had another crappy old laptop to use for right now.

When reading the thread, I tried to find what was discussed but I don't know where to go since I can't do anything really. I have tried to press the "esc" for "f8" or "f10" (whatever the keys are that are listed on the bottom) but when I do that, I have NO idea what I'm looking at! Oh nellie!

So, I thought, I will just take the hard drive from the broken computer and put it in the old crappy laptop and see if I can load it that way. Now, now, now....don't think that because I think I can do that I know what I would be doing...not so much! I saw someone do it once, and I figured that I'm pretty smart I could figure it out. But before I did that I got on this old crappy puter and do a search on this error message and see if I could fix it without breaking out the screwdriver.

I read something about BOOTIT NV or something, did a search on line on how to do that, but I don't understand the directions. From looking online, it looks like that some sort of program you have to buy. What good will that do if I ordered that and downloaded it on this crappy computer, how do I get it on the error computer if I can't do anything?

So, then someone mentioned about some sort of cables that I should check? Huh? Where are those cables?

I put in the windows xp start up disk and I think I was doing something right, but nothing happened, and when I restarted now it say this:
"press any key to boot from CD"
"NTLDR is missing" -Grrrrrr...there is those stupid letters again!!!
Press ctrl alt del to restart"

Crap'ola! I think I made it worse!

HELP?? Please??

Ready to toss laptop out the window,

Tonya! P.S. Any NBA fans out there, Suns and Spurs in game 1, just went into overtime. Better let the computer rest and watch the game! Go SUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Daniel LeBlanc Apr 21, 2008, 09:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay, I've read through about half this thread(18 pages is a lot to read), so I'm sorry if this was already answered.

I'm having the same boot problem, but with weird popping noises that I'm assuming come from my fan. I would use my XP disc, but my computer was custom made and the guy neglected to give me one or something. Is there a way to fix this without the disc? Or, if I truly need the files on the disc, is there a way to procur them without running out to a store to buy them, such as a download from the internet? I'm not very computer efficient, and I have tons of work on that computer that would literally take me years to redo, so I really need the help.

Jonathan Burley May 02, 2008, 02:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Alright, I signed up for this site just to answer this and share my success story. I got a laptop out of this error in less than an hour. A family member of mine had this error this morning and I googled the error message to get some insight and I came upon this thread. So I brought with me a Windows XP install CD, Spinrite bootable CD, and Fedora Core 8 LiveCD.

My plan was to load up Windows XP install CD and run CHKDSK /r and be done with it, however the poor laptop would freeze when the recovery console tried to examine his HD. So, pitched that idea out the window. Next was Spinrite. Supposing something was horribly wrong with it, this should do the trick in fixing it. Too bad, Spinrite gave me an error letting me know that it was unsafe to read or write from the HD. Okay, not cool.

So, after examining the BIOS (by the way, this is an HP dv5000 laptop) I came to the conclusion that it was the most useless BIOS ever. So on to Linux. Surprise, surprise. Linux loaded well from the LiveCD distro. It gave me a timeout error for one part of the load, but it went after that. And behold the very awesome part of this: It mounted the HD and I was able to get all of the data off of it. I check out the WINDOWS directory and everything looked in place. Opened the boot.ini to make sure nothing was erased. All clear. Since it was able to read from the HD, WHAT WAS WRONG?!

Next step: Restart. What do you know? It booted to Windows XP. For how long? Beats me. But heck, if all I needed to do was load Linux and have a magical fix that lets me know nothing about why it is broken, I'm still happy. So, take that and try it out if you are still struggling. Chances are you've tried everything else anyways.

Mind you I didn't do a CHKDSK, a fixboot, or fixmbr or it, so I don't know if doing this AFTER those will yield the same results. Windows did a CHKDSK automatically before it loaded the login screen. Sorry if my story was a little long. Hope it helps! :)

Abdullah Mustafa May 11, 2008, 05:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i am using vista ultimate and the same error apeared so, i rebooted for about 3 times and it worked.???

Tyler Sprague May 11, 2008, 11:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 11, 2008, 11:54am EDT

I have a fix for this.

Take the battery out of motherboard making a full crash. Put it back in. (Correctly!)

If this fails, switch the IDE cables from your CD-ROMs to your HDDs.

The problem is the IDE connection from the motherboard, start investing in a new motherboard.

Try this fix for now, if you need to use cdroms, get a USB External one.

Good luck.

Michael Scott May 18, 2008, 07:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 18, 2008, 07:38am EDT

So far I have tried:

1. Checked the bios, everything is detected as normal.

2. Tried a different IDE cable

3. Tried the CD drive IDE connection on the motherboard

4. Took the motherboard battery out and put it back in

None of these things work. I think the last thing that was installed before this happened was Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

My computer is a Pentium 3 with Windows XP SP2 and a 160GB Hitachi Deskstar IDE HDD. This problem just happened when I switched it on this morning. Very annoying, I have to say I suspect it's a Windows problem and Microsoft need to sort it out.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.