Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1277 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 02:25am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Michael Scott May 19, 2008, 05:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
Now I have also tried fixing a few things with the Windows XP recovery console, no luck so far.

Bill Gates buy me a new computer now you smug git!!! >:o

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jon Gilmore May 28, 2008, 02:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 29, 2008, 01:53pm EDT

>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
After hours of trying different solutions that were posted, I just fixed this issue by partioning my new Western Digital Drive on an older Gateway E-4600 with Dynamic Drive Overlay (it can be downloaded from Western Digital's web site). After you do that, reinstall Windows XP with the partition created by DDO. Do not use Windows XP setup to partition the drive! Hope this helps! :)

Juli Stoyanov Jun 12, 2008, 09:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mainboard : ECS A770M-A
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Hard Disk : WDC WD2500AAKS-00B3A0
Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3850
Physical Memory : 2048 MB DDR2-SDRAM Corsair

SOMETIMES when restart pc I have the same error(I restart again and again 5 times error is here again). When turn OFF pc then after 1 min i turn ON pc all work fine. But "sometimes" its a bad to have this error. Beter is to be on my pc and after I turn it on. I have and another problem with HDD. In Win XP (new original home with sp3 installed) the hard drive "dead" sometimes, see screenshot ! Its possible PSU to be reason or its a bag in the motherboard ? Or HDD ? This 2 problems is the same source ? Sry for my bad english pls Help ...
(HDD is NTFS)

http://picbg.net/pic.php?u=19173Q35nF&i=157586

http://picbg.net/pic.php?u=19173Q35nF&i=157587

http://picbg.net/pic.php?u=19173Q35nF&i=157588

navin kumar Jun 17, 2008, 10:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 17, 2008, 10:47pm EDT

Yesterday i installed Windows XP pro SP2 in a new hard disk with a new SATA and POWER cable.

After installation i have worked
When i worked my system got freeze and my mouse pointer moved very slowly.
I finished my work and shut down my system.

then today morning i switched on my system
i got the error message "A disk Read error" press "CTRL+ALT+DEL" to restart.

then once again i tried to do fresh install windows XP ..

during setup it had copied all the files and restarted to install xp but when my system restarted its shows the windows XP loading page then an blue screen came after that no process carried on its still shown the empty blue screen

One my friend insisted me to install Ubuntu.

I tried installing Ubuntu freshly
and successfully installed. now i didn't get any error message.

now ubuntu is working properly without any error message while loading.

now this is the situation.
What is the problem while installin windows XP?
please help me out to solve the problem.

Adam Dirks Jun 27, 2008, 11:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 27, 2008, 11:38am EDT

FYI, I had this error message several times then I realized I had an external USB hard drive plugged in and "USB Boot" was enabled in the BIOS. Disabled "USB Boot" in the BIOS and the problem has not returned.

Dan Arteaga Jun 28, 2008, 01:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 28, 2008, 01:54pm EDT

Hey everyone-

Sorry to post another problem rather than solution but seeing that I've read through all 19 pages and really have not found a case similar to mine and I'm on my last straw, here it goes:

1 week ago I reinstalled vista x64 on my system because I clearly had a virus. Before then my computer was running fine and it never gave me this error. Right after I got past the extracting files portion of the vista installation and the computer rebooted I got the disk read error. However, I installed vista x64 only 2 months before on my system without any problems. Since then, the only change to my computer has been the addition/installation of a second hard drive, which occurred flawlessly.

After removing the second hard drive, I have tried (in this order) installing xp 32 bit, performing a low level format using the xp and vista boot cd, using a diagnostic boot utility disk to test for errors on my HDD (none), resetting the bios to default values, plugging the HDD to the sata 2 controller (it has always been in sata 1), removing the RAM and reinserting, using the harddrive on my friends computer using a different sata cord(works fine), formatting it on a different computer using "My Computer-->C: -->Format" (instead of using the vista format option), and even clearing the cmos/resetting the bios. I also made sure that the harddrive was set to master and have made it first in the boot order.

I even got this error on my computer after the harddrive had been low-level formatted on my friends computer, without any OS installed. When I reboot without the harddrive connected I get a different error.

The bios recognizes the harddrive, ram, and all other hardware and I never touched the bios before and it always worked fine. Ubuntu works fine.

The motherboard that I'm using is an Asus P5WD2-E Premium.

Is this a motherboard problem??? What else could it be???? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ray barclay Jul 14, 2008, 06:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just wasted a couple of days on this. I could only run Vista if the install disk was in the drive, which was nice for MS perhaps but not for me. I think I tried all the things here and from other postings, as well as using the easy repairs from the EasyBCD help files that might help some of you, but nothing worked for me. In the end, I went back to the BIOS on my new motherboard and discovered that as well as boot order for HD, CD etc there is a separate setting for HD boot order. This had reset to what I regard as my second drive being the first HD to boot. Swapping the drives round in the BIOS fixed the problem. It looks like there are multiple causes for this problem but from reading the earlier postings I think this might help some folk. I guess the advantages of not having to set master and slave for SATA drives comes with disadvantages too. I'm not sure, but expect this would affect XP boots too.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Christian Petersen Jul 15, 2008, 07:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, I had this error for quite a while. Sometimes my computer would just freeze, pop up and error and maybe a blue screen for a second before restarting and giving this annoying message for the next 1 hour. Sometimes it would also show this even if it had been turned off for hours.

So I read through some of the other responds to this thread, and what I found was that, apparantly, there is no good answer to this problem at all. I told my friends about it, and of course they said that I should have my harddisk checked. I replied that I would check everything else in my computer, except my harddisk. They, of course, laughed at this.

So I took out my CPU, RAM and GFX, removed the dust, reinstalled them and checked all the cables. Everything except the harddisk. I also removed a block of ram, just because I could.

And behold.. the problem that showed randomly within a few hours everytime I had my computer turned on, is now fixed. I made very sure to never touch the harddisk at all. So it turned out that something else was the problem, just as I suspected. hat it was, I will never know. But I sure am glad I didn't start messing around with the harddisk...

Andrew Geddes Jul 28, 2008, 07:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey all,

My freaking power went out and now I'm getting this error... although from what I'm reading mine is more severe than everyone else's. I don't get my bios screen... as soon as it fires up I get the disk read error... no bios screen... no nothing. Just the black screen. Please help!!!! Maybe I missed something through the 19 pages?

Mbambeleli Rawana Aug 16, 2008, 09:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not only do I get this disk read error but now when i reinstall windows with my hard drive it tells me that my hard drive is not connected....

I have tried all

Lena Allen Aug 16, 2008, 02:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
None of this applys to me. At least I don't think. Anyway

Here is my problem. When I went to instal Sims exteneded addition it didnt work. So I uninstalled the first game I had. The Sims Deluxe Edition. Well then when I installed it back again it did not work. So I decided to do a "system restore"...not the one that set the computer to a previous day where it last worked. I mean when the computer started up again I pressed Ctrl Shift F10. I thought this would fix my computer but it didn't. I got that same message. It's a black screen with a blue bar at the very top saying http://www.dell.com and then beneath it in white font it says "Disk read error occured, Press Ctrl Alt Delete.

Can anyone help me please? I already went to BIOS then management and set it to defaults. It did nothing. It just keeps going back to that dreadfull black screen.

R M Aug 17, 2008, 01:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have tried all the recommendations made by others; nothing worked. The only thing that provided a permanent solution was updating my BIOS. So check with your motherboard manufacturer for the latest BIOS version and see if that solves the problem for you as it did for me. Good luck.

John Hattingh Aug 21, 2008, 04:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 21, 2008, 05:54am EDT

Ok I've come at this problem from a totally different angle and I think I'm about willing to put my money down on this either being a FAT32/NTFS and/or an outdated bios issue.

I was running Windows XP on an NTFS Maxtor SATA 150 80g. The hard disk was partitioned into C and D respectively. I had a full image made of the C partition which held windows.

A few weeks back the hard disk died. So I purchased a new one, also a Maxtor SATA 300 80g only a newer model, different model numbers etc.

Anway long story short, I partition and formatted the new hard disk into the same respective partitions as the old hard disk, only this time around it was in FAT32 (bearing in mind the image was made in NTFS).

I loaded the C image onto the disk and booted into the BIOS just to set boot priorities and just check all was in order. The first suspicous thing I noticed was my new hard disk wasn't labelled as Maxtor 80g in the boot order, but was named "Via Hard Disk1 00267" (Perhaps BIOS was out of date and MOBO not reading it properly??) bearing in mind the old hdisk was SATA 150 and the new one now 300...

Anway I booted to windows and seemed fine until I started copying music and files from the Freecom external onto the new D partition. The copying was taking unusually long (about 30 mins per 100mb). Eventually this steadily climbed to over 2 hours per 100mb and suddenly windows gave me the error "Unable to copy. Disk error. Please restart".

Upon restarting I got this all too infamous error "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart". After that it wouldn't boot to windows and kept giving the same error.

Anway I loaded up FDISK and noticed that the C partition was now NTFS...the ghost image had somehow forced the disk into NTFS?? Up to this point I've always been under the impression that a ghost image was just files..nothing more! Looking at all the other NTFS comments here I'm certain the problem lies when a hard disk is converted to NTFS during installation. I'm not sure how this works when loading a backup image to be honest.

I'm now going to try and totally delete all the partitions, reformat to FAT32 and simply try a fresh windows XP re-install. If that doesn't work I'll reset and/or update the bios.

I'll post again to let you know what happends :|

coco channell Aug 21, 2008, 08:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Easy solution:
1.Dont use any recovery things or utilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.Remove hadrdrive from you PC and put it on some USB frame. (if you have friend plug it to his computer.
3 Check if you can see the files on your usb hard drive. If yes go to step4.
4.Delete as much necessary files as possible.
5.Make defragmentation of your drive (it should take long time (250GB disk around 2hours depends of amout of fragmentation of disk)
6.Unplug usb drive and put back to you PC or notebook.
7.Start normaly PC/notebook

Ive found that this solution works with the most difficult configuration what should be.
This bug happens to me few times. Ive tried all things, like recovery utils etc., but nothing helped, so I had to buy new harddrive or reformat old one. Its very time consuming. This solution works if you can read your data on usb drive or other hd frame.
This bug is probably caused by extreme data transfers and fragmentation of disk. I had 80GB disk and this bug happens after filling full harddrive and huge transfer of data. So Ive replaced disk with 250GB. But same thing happens during 4moths of huge data transfers and big fragmentation of disk. Than I found this thread and try defragmentation without any other changes. And it works perfectly.
Mr.Or

Jakob Luneborg Aug 25, 2008, 01:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got this error too, just a question. I tried using the drive it in another computer and when i tried to open it, it says it not formatted - in properties of the drive "Filesystem RAW".

I also tried to install a new windows, I came to the box where your partions is displayed. If I remember correctly you're supposed to see if your old partions is NTFS or FAT? Anyway, instead of NTFS it said "unknown" (or something similar).

Is that the case for you guys too?

I also did the chkdsk /r which failed at 75%, saying i had some unrepairable problems.

Christophe H Aug 29, 2008, 01:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,
First of all, thank you to all the people who post on this thread! It was a great help for me.
So, I had the same problem as most of you. I have Win XP Pro SP3, running on a HP laptop. I had recently bought a new 2.5" Hard Drive Western Digital 250G. I did not reinstall everything from scratch but I simply COPIED AN IMAGE DISK of my previous 80GB hard drive onto the new one so I could start working directly.
Two days later, when I put my computer in hibernation, then I tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't and I had the message "A disk read error occured. Press CTRL....".
I tried to perform several of the solutions proposed on this thread. I put the disk in a USB 2.0 enclosure and pluged it into another computer. Then, I tried:
- chkdsk /r
- fixmbr
- fixboot
- log with a Unix Live CD to modify the size of the partition. This wouldn't work because I couldn't the disk. I had a message saying that the last time I used the disk, I put windows in hibernate mode. I tried to force mount it but wouldn't work either.
None of these changed anything, I still had the same message at startup.
Finally, I was desperate and I tried another solution proposed in this thread: I simply performed a degramentation on the disk. Even though windows told me it was not useful to do it, I did it anyway. And surprisingly, the computer started after that. Well, it first tried to resume from hibernation but I got an error. Then I could restart normally!
I hope this could be useful to somebody else.
Christophe

Alan Yost Sep 06, 2008, 09:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem that this section has been dedicated to however I have one other "failure" going on as well. Everyone has been saying that they just boot from the XP cd and try to run repair. Even if it does not work, they can at least boot from the CD.
I have two DVD drives that I just purchased 3 months ago. I have tried booting from both of them with the CD in.
I get different messages depending on which HDDs i have plugged in. I have three internal drives. 2X500gb Western Digital hard drives. Yes, the exact same drive bough at different times so I can at least tell them apart based on the date. I also have a 60gb maxtor that came with my computer when it was originally a Dell about 6 years ago. Can't seem to kill that drive.
When I have the HDD that I had dedicated to the OS plugged in, I get disk read error. When it is not plugged in, it tells me to insert a bootable device, even though I am telling it to boot from the CD location.
I also get NTLDR is missing sometimes. Again while trying to boot from CD.
I went out and bought an external case to put my HDDs in so I could try and install XP from my laptop onto the HDD since my laptop can read the disk. However, when I plug in the external case, my laptop tells me that the USB device is not recognized.
I have not been able tp try it in another computer yet but that is my next step. After that I am taking it to Micro Center to see if they can recover the data on my HDD.
Also, the BIOS reads the HDDs correctly, but the computer can't read them.

Any suggestions other than buying a new computer. I spent about $500 upgrading and fixing parts of it 3 months ago after things just started dying one after the other.

Mariano Fuertes Oct 21, 2008, 07:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everybody, this is Mariano from Argentina.
I'm having this error but with this difference: When it appears I just power down de PC and then back on, and after this wxp restarts normally and will go on like this for a variable amount of time (usually days, but sometimes just hours).
The first time I formatted the drive because i did't had anything valuable copied yet. Everything was fine, but after some weeks of use (and increasing used space) it came again.
I'm going to start with the list of solutions John compiled, but first Id' like to hear what you think about this.
Thank you so much for your time, i really appreciate your help!!
I'll leave you some specs about my system:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
500w PowerCooler PSU
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2500 MHz (12.5 x 200) 4800+
MSI K9N Neo v2/v3 (MS-7369) (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Chipset nVIDIA nForce 520, AMD Hammer
2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM) Supertalent
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
WDC WD1600AABS-00PRA0 (149 GB)
SMART State OK

Partitions C: (NTFS) 152617 MB (87979 MB libre)
Total 149.0 GB (85.9 GB libre)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: I noticed that Everest reads the hard drive as IDE, not SATA. Althoug I checked it myself that the drive is connected to a SATA port on the mobo by the proper cable. Curious
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Kelly Nov 14, 2008, 12:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 14, 2008, 12:04pm EST

Now I have this problem, ugh! I will work through all the suggestions that have been posted over the last four years on this topic. There seems to be some correlation to HW issues but clearly NTFS is the major issue here. Maybe better diagnostics that might point to the specific issue at hand would be nice.

/ranton
Maybe it is just me, but crap, what a garbage OS that MS has foisted upon us. Problem after problem and this one is simply that last straw. This particular problem has been happening to XP customers for the last four years! Does MS not read and follow through with issues that impact their customers experience with their products? I started with Mac 20 years ago, now it seems it is time for me to go back.
/rantoff

Thank you to all who provide great advice! MS owes tons to all those happy and helpful hackers out there who support thier products through helpful advice. Nice folks all around, thanks again.

-craig

Craig Kelly Nov 14, 2008, 12:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How do you run repair from the XP cd btw? Maybe a stupid question but I think it must be more than just typing R at the prompt and getting window console to run various Windows commands.

-craig

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.