Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1251 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 12:05am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Craig Kelly Nov 14, 2008, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
On my laptop where I am having this problem....

I did run chkdsk /r with no joy. My files seem to all be there though. I am in the process of buying a USB enclosure and an new disk. I will move the problem disk/file system to external and load a new version of XP on my new disk which I will install internally. The new disk is 7200 rpm which is something I wanted anyway. I have 60+ GB of digital data (which I do back up on S3) but I'ld rather not restore all that data from S3 as it would take days if not weeks.

Any comments on my plan?

-craig

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Labhrain D Jan 07, 2009, 11:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 07, 2009, 11:35am EST

>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
This is an error that seems to have a variety of causes. My issue turned out to be a bootable partition issue.

Mine situation occurred when I went to reinstall WinXP Pro on my laptop. I keep my documents, etc. on a separate partition from the OS. I used Partition Magic to delete the partition on which I wanted to install Windows. I then used PM to create an NTFS partition on that space. I have another partition on which I would keep my personal files. I used the Windows install disk, but upon the first reboot, I got the "Disk Read Error" message. I assumed this was a hardware problem. I checked my RAM and my hard drive for errors, but both showed none. I tried the installation again, but the same thing happened. I checked BIOS settings, and all looked fine in there, but the problem persisted. I finally decided to use another program, BootItNG, to take a look at things. I noticed right off that the drive to which I was attempting to install Windows had not been made bootable. I thought I had done so when I created the partition, but obviously I did not. So, I made the partition bootable, then restarted the machine. Instead of the "Disk Read Error" message, I now got the "NTLDR not found" error message. This was good news to me! It meant that the partition was being read. So, I initiated the install again, and this time everything went just fine. I've had no problems since.

Perhaps someone else will find that they have the same simple situation causing this problem.

Labhrain
Jan Bosota Jan 09, 2009, 01:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have cloned my old laptop 80GB disk to new WD 250GB 2.5" with Acronis TrueImage. After some time (month) of normal work has appeared A disk read error message while I was booting my laptop. Then... time of pain started. I have tried almost everything what I found in net discussions. Somehow after some actions I made has disk worked again. Then, after month - error again. And then again and again. I tried to fix it somehow and ...
Finally I have found and recognized solution that works for me always. You have to boot from different disk and do defrag with O&O Defrag - default method. Microsoft Defrag in Windows doesn't work.Then I can boot from that disk again...
I really don't understand what, why, how,... but this works for me. Either God nor Bill can explain this enigma...

Orlando Sikes Jan 09, 2009, 10:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello

im having this problem on my laptop i just installed win xp pro and it was working fine until i got and error saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
and restarted it and kept saying the same thing until the 3rd time and that time it said "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"
i tried repairing the Win Xp with the disk but said i dont have win xp installed and a tried to check my HD thru Bios but couldnt and now when i boot up my computer it will just stay at the Compaq start up page were you see f10 to setup etc.

What could this be?

Simen fffg Jan 09, 2009, 04:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The solution for me was to remove the battery from the main board some seconds.
Then the message was not there anymore :-)

I earlyer tryed boot clean install on 2 different new HD and USB HD. Did not work. Same message...

Enrique De La Pena Jan 10, 2009, 01:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
--------------------------------- LEARN HOW I FIXED IT ON MY PC ---------------------------------------------

I got this PC showing the error message every time I tried to boot. I suspected a hard drive problem; bought a new hard drive and same issue. I thought it might be defective as well, so I sent it back and bought another one. No luck. By this time I was starting to figure out there was something else going on. However, I used a hard drive with Windows installed in another system and it worked fine. So, it was confusing. I read this log. I decided to flash the BIOS on my PC Dimension 8250 with a BIOS A01. support.dell.com entered service tag (label on back of system) go to drivers and downloads; scroll down, look for BIOS update choose operating system and READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU DO IT!!!!! or you might fry your motherboard, meaning you can throw your computer to the garbage for sure. The new BIOS was A04. After that started install from CD and chose: Full Format to the hard drive and it is working fine. Hope it helps!

nintendo1889 Jan 10, 2009, 07:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

nintendo1889 Jan 10, 2009, 08:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 18, 2009, 03:33am EST

>> I SOLVED IT!!!!!!!!!! Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"
Hello all,

to skip to how I fixed this, go to the bottom of this post. Here's a quick summary of the solution:

Run Acronis Disk Directory, or the GNU Parted LiveCD (or better partedmagic, as it has other nice functions). Resize your partition(s) so that the end is not at the end of the disk or at the start of the next partition, in case of multiple partition. In other words, leave about 32 MB of empty, unpartitioned space after every partition. Also check that they are bootable (also known as Active).

I got this same error. Partition Magic 8.0 gave me a partition error #108 when it was run on a "disk read error occurred" on an xp home system. Although fair warning, this is the only version of pqmagic I have and it doesn't support XP. 8.01 did support XP.

According to symantec's site, this means:
#108 Partition doesn't end at end of cylinder
The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects partitions to begin and end on the correct cylinder boundaries. If they do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance, if PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause the loss of data. Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk's partitions. To resolve this problem, see the instructions in Resolving partition table errors.

The link 'Resolving partition table errors.' states below:

Resolve partition table errors
Ensure the computer has no viruses.
For information, read Partition tables and viruses.

Back up the data on the affected partitions.

Delete the partitions.

Recreate the partitions.

Restore the contents of the partitions.

You may need to use the FDISK program from a recent DOS version because earlier versions may refuse to delete HPFS or hidden partitions, and the OS/2 FDISK program may recognize the partition's corruption and refuse to modify it.

In some cases, you can resolve partition table errors manually. Run PartitionInfo to determine the errors on your partitions. Refer to Generating diagnostic reports with PartitionInfo for additional information about PartitionInfo.

The Solution Follows:
I've had good experiences with Acronis Disk Director in cases where PartitionMagic failed. This system had a main system ntfs partition, and immediately after that it had a ghost "recovery" partition from that shoddy trial version of ghost backup. (To clean your system of similar crapware, get the PC decrapifier). I resized each partition in Acronis Disk Director to be about 32 MB smaller, which should correct the boundary errors it had. After rebooting, the system FINALLY BOOTED UP. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Violently happy smiley: >:)

A similar result could probably be achieved with the GNU Parted LiveCD, YMMV.

Andrew Wing Jan 17, 2009, 02:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

OK, here's my own experience with this annoying phenomena.

I was troubleshooting excessive hardware interrupts (worthy of a whole separate
thread!) and had been removing/swapping hardware in an effort to isolate that
issue. In the process of doing that I started getting the "disk read error". I read
through this huge thread and tried all of the following:

- Ran Windows repair, chkdsk /r. It fixed some stuff (unknown), but didn't work.
- fixboot - n also failed.
- replaced the MB. This didn't fix the disk read or hardware interrupts.
- Disable IDE bus mastering failed.
- Ran WD Data Lifeguard Tools to rewrite the MBR, failed.
- Used SuperGrub to try booting. I got the following messages:
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot
Disk read error...
- I also noticed that the C:\windows\config system file is not present on
a nearly identical good machine.

Finally I was able to boot by moving the boot drive from the MB IDE to the
Maxtor PATA-133 controller. This leads me to believe that may particular problem
is corrupted boot block code that the MB BIOS can't deal with, but the Maxtor
controller can handle (or ignores?).

System: Powerspec 8217 PC, Intel D850GB MB (with BIOS update), WD 250M drive,
WinXP SP3, 1G RAM

Chris Burnell Jan 25, 2009, 01:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I struggled for most of a day with this problem after a failed attempt to re-instal xp with a SP1 cd. I have to say that none of the solutions given helped me but I finally overcame it by booting into safe mode with networking which promptly threw me out because you can't run set up in safe mode, however upon restart it booted sucessfully into setup.

Reza Azimi Jan 26, 2009, 11:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Unplug the power cord or turn off the Power Unit (back of the case) .. after 10-15 minutes turn on your system again .. it should boot without any problem.. it seems that be a RAM issue and since there are electricity in capacitors it remains in this condition.

kavninder singh Feb 03, 2009, 05:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 03, 2009, 06:33pm EST

I had the same problem as well. I have XP and Vista partions on my laptop. I have been tweaking with startup options like remove battery for a while, windows diagnostics etc. Now its gives me an option to select OP every time, but once the OS starts loading, it just freezes.This all happened after i installed adobe video edit on xp partition. I have a very important file to recover. What can i do?

David Samra Feb 06, 2009, 10:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba laptop. Hanngs at the Disk Read Error message. Using Vista and tried repairing with the boot disc only to be told it can't repair the problem.

I've removed the hard drive and hooked it up to my desktop and was able to access all my files which hopefully means it's not the drive that is that problem. I'm a little fearful of flashing the Bios as I've read if you do it wrong you can seriously mess up the computer. I'm at my wits end and not sure what to do other than bringing it in to a repair shop...

thnx

Kanaka Krishnan Feb 11, 2009, 10:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Kanaka Krishnan Feb 11, 2009, 10:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try disabling sata from setup..... or choose ide as the sata mode

nintendo1889 Feb 18, 2009, 03:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 18, 2009, 03:31am EST

kavninder singh said:
I had the same problem as well. I have XP and Vista partions on my laptop. I have been tweaking with startup options like remove battery for a while, windows diagnostics etc. Now its gives me an option to select OP every time, but once the OS starts loading, it just freezes.This all happened after i installed adobe video edit on xp partition. I have a very important file to recover. What can i do?

Since you can boot up at all, first try to boot into safe-mode by hitting f8. If it doesn't freeze run system restore when windows loads (it will ask you). If that doesn't work do an in-place reinstall:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

David Samra said:
I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba laptop. Hanngs at the Disk Read Error message. Using Vista and tried repairing with the boot disc only to be told it can't repair the problem.

I've removed the hard drive and hooked it up to my desktop and was able to access all my files which hopefully means it's not the drive that is that problem. I'm a little fearful of flashing the Bios as I've read if you do it wrong you can seriously mess up the computer. I'm at my wits end and not sure what to do other than bringing it in to a repair shop...
thnx

Check if the partition is bootable.

If it's still not working, then download either a bootleg copy of acronis disk director and create a bootable cd, or download the partedmagic livecd, and resize each partition to be a few megabytes smaller than the end of the disk or the start of the next partition. In other words, leave some small empty space. Let us know if that doesn't work.

Ivan Tranfić Feb 22, 2009, 01:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 22, 2009, 01:37pm EST

I've got a 3 years old HP laptop and this is the second time I've encountered this problem. The first time I simply reinstalled windows and everything worked fine. Now I really don't wanna lose all my files so I tried with a HP Recovery DVD, but my computer doesn't want to run it. The DVD runs normally on my other laptop. I switched the boot order so my optical drive is first, not the hard drive, and it still doesn't boot, it just shows the wretched black screen saying "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart". Also, pressing F8 does nothing. Basically, I cannot do ANYTHING. Please help! I only want to have at least one more chance to do a back up, and then it can all go to hell...

Randy Yuros Feb 22, 2009, 05:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 22, 2009, 06:14pm EST

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your solutions and add what worked for me.
I upgraded my daughter's Dell Inspiron 600m (EIDE only - not SATA) from a 60GB drive to 160GB Western Digital. Loaded Windows XP Home totally from scratch (no disk overlay and formatted NTFS) and all service packs etc including SP3. Worked great for a couple of weeks and that's when I ran into similar problems posted here - went through 3 replacement drives from Western Digital - finally gave up and tried a Samsung 160GB. Lasted a couple of days and same problem - have seen either flashing cursor or disk read error. Either way - when drive is in the laptop, can't boot from Windows CD to try repair either - just hangs. Take the drive out, put in external enclosure - all data is there but nothing worked to get it bootable again - had to reload from scratch and go through the whole process again - worked fine for a few days or weeks and back to same problem again. There were multiple people that posted the same problem with Western Digital, Seagate and Samsung EIDE drives on NewEgg's reviews so I decided it couldn't be the drive or the laptop - but couldn't find any solutions until this post. Here is what worked for me (on the Samsung 160GB). Actually first I will say what I tried over the last few months that didn't work:

Flashed to latest BIOS
In an external enclosure I could boot to Windows XP repair and tried Fixboot and Fixmbr (did not try chkdsk /r though).
4 different hard drives

Here is what finally worked:

RESIZING THE PARTITION!!
First tried Partition Magic but it gave an Error 1607 File Record Marked Free and then 983 Too Many Errors
Used Acronis Disk Director v10 and first tried resizing smaller by 32MB as listed above, then by a few GB but still wouldn't boot.
Finally resized to 135GB (below the 137GB boundry) and Windows booted immediately!!

I will leave it that way - just format the rest as another partition and hope for the best.
If this works long term - my daughter and I will be forever grateful to those who posted the info about resizing the partition because I had already suggested that we give up and buy a new laptop but being a poor college student (and poor college student's father).... I would rather not have to do that right now.

Thanks again - hope this will help someone else.

Just wanted to add an update - I still had the last Western Digital HD that failed to boot that I had not yet wiped out. Thought I would test this theory so resized the partition below 137GB - then Windows tried to boot but got an Error: " . . . ARC firmware boot configuration problem: did not properly generate ARC name for HAL and system paths . . . " Wasn't sure what that meant but was able to boot Windows XP CD to recovery option. Tried Fixboot, Fixmbr and Chkdsk /r without success. Did some more Google searching and used this procedure to fix it:

Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:
Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

I can now boot the Western Digital hard drive to Windows successfully also!!

edward sun Feb 23, 2009, 09:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
this quite too late.but for thise who had thesame prob.here's how.... first try to remove your harddisc for at least 20 sec then recon it again.then try rebooting your pc.if the prob still not solve. second check your primary and secondary connection,you might have place your dvdrom on the primary ide w/c it should be on the secondary ide.harddisc is always on the primary ide.then check this agai on your bios.

Gina Alessia Feb 24, 2009, 10:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 24, 2009, 10:54pm EST

Someone recommended a piece of software from bootitng.com for about $35. I tried and downloaded the free trial, made a bootable cd with the help of the software, browsed a little through their knowledge database and voila: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=293

Free and with no headaches.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.