Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1222 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 25 - 08:17pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
edward sun Feb 25, 2009, 04:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
this problem happened to me also.i tried discon and recon my HDD it opened my windows after that,but just doesnt solve the problem.until i checked my bios and notice my DVDrom was connected to the PRIMARY IDE.so i checked my motherboard manual,reversed conn place my HDD on the PRIMARY and DVDrom on the SECONDARY IDE con.now my pc just doing well.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jenny konjich Mar 05, 2009, 01:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
About two weeks ago I started my pc and I got this msg "A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart". Of course that's what I did thinking maybe my kids did something but at the start up I got the same msg again. I tried reinstalling the windows xp but when it came to the screen to what drive to use my main drive C wasn't avaialble. So i figured it was broke.
Tried to install it on the D drive but every time the windows completes copying the installation files and restarts it goes back to the begining of installation...

Then I bought a brand new hard disk, tried to install the windows again, goes thru the process of installing and setting up and once it's completed it's restarting again to load the windows and there it goes again "A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart" I am not that good with bios, I kinda looked at it but was afraid to change anything.

I even put my hard disk into another computer that has no other drives but still nothing, same msg.

As I said, I had windows xp previously, haven't installed anything new that I can say maybe that's what messed it up, I need my computer back. I have all kind of things on my other drive that I just can't lose. I don't know how to save it because nothing seem to work. Please, please someone help!!!

If you need anymore info let me know. I am at work computer trying to search for solution, I don't have all the information here but will try as hard as I can to provide what is needed to help me.

thank you all in advance

nintendo1889 Mar 05, 2009, 01:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Download BootitNG, run it to extract it to a floppy disk, and use the program to set the hard drive partition to align along the cylinder boundaries. Google it.

Or use parted magic. Google it.

jenny konjich said:
About two weeks ago I started my pc and I got this msg "A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart". Of course that's what I did thinking maybe my kids did something but at the start up I got the same msg again. I tried reinstalling the windows xp but when it came to the screen to what drive to use my main drive C wasn't avaialble. So i figured it was broke.
Tried to install it on the D drive but every time the windows completes copying the installation files and restarts it goes back to the begining of installation...

Then I bought a brand new hard disk, tried to install the windows again, goes thru the process of installing and setting up and once it's completed it's restarting again to load the windows and there it goes again "A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart" I am not that good with bios, I kinda looked at it but was afraid to change anything.

I even put my hard disk into another computer that has no other drives but still nothing, same msg.

As I said, I had windows xp previously, haven't installed anything new that I can say maybe that's what messed it up, I need my computer back. I have all kind of things on my other drive that I just can't lose. I don't know how to save it because nothing seem to work. Please, please someone help!!!

If you need anymore info let me know. I am at work computer trying to search for solution, I don't have all the information here but will try as hard as I can to provide what is needed to help me.

thank you all in advance

nintendo1889 Mar 05, 2009, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 05, 2009, 02:21pm EST

Ivan Tranfić said:
I've got a 3 years old HP laptop and this is the second time I've encountered this problem. The first time I simply reinstalled windows and everything worked fine. Now I really don't wanna lose all my files so I tried with a HP Recovery DVD, but my computer doesn't want to run it. The DVD runs normally on my other laptop. I switched the boot order so my optical drive is first, not the hard drive, and it still doesn't boot, it just shows the wretched black screen saying "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart". Also, pressing F8 does nothing. Basically, I cannot do ANYTHING. Please help! I only want to have at least one more chance to do a back up, and then it can all go to hell...

If you want to backup, you can create an ultimate boot cd for windows: http://ubcd4win.com/

Ralph James Mar 05, 2009, 02:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had this error over and over again for the last few years but this time it was fatal. I was beginning a trip and then my laptop crashed with this infernal error. I have a backup imaged disk so I have been simply restoring the image and then copying over any updated files since the backup. However this time was different. I restored the drive and all and started my trip. When I got top my destination and attempted to use my laptop BOOM!!! the error was back. So, I just restored again and updated again. This lasted until I turned the laptop off for the night and the very next morning, the error was back. Long story short, I did this routine a few more time and it eventually got worse until I just broke down a purchased a new bigger drive, I restored the image onto the drive and it worked for a l;ittle while until I rebooted. This wento on for a few days while I was attempting to figure out what was happening. I searched the internet for this issue again and found this site. I had already tried everything that pretained to a laptop before but since I saw that many others were having the same issue I was relieved that it was not only me and my machine. So I set out to find the cure (at least for the type of problem I had) and I seemingly have found it so I wanted to share...

I had an apifiny after failing so many times. Windows in 48bit mode Disk Access can basically only understand up to 137GB for a boot partition (MS is not even vaguely clear about this) and my laptop currently had a 250GB upgraded from a 160GB which was upgraded from a 80GB drive that it originally came with. So what I did was to partition the 250GB drive into an 80GB drive for the boot partition and everything is working fine withoiut failure. So it seems I am destined to have two partitions on my laptop, one for the OS and programs and one for the data. This would probably be the scenario that most people would be in attempting to have everything on one large drive in one large partition. It seems that when my hard disk booted directly after restoreing the image Windows attempts to write something to the last sector of the partition and that screws everything up when you attempt to boot after shutdown. No amount of MBR fixing would ever resolve this issue.

This is my solution to one of the many error that this "Disk Read Error" hides.

PS: A advanced as Windows is supposed to be why can't it have better error reporting capabilities than DOS???

Ralph James Mar 06, 2009, 01:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, it is confirmed. Windows trashes itself if you have a boot partition larger than 137GB. Because Windows writes something at the end of the boot partition, since using 48bit mode Windows can't access anything past 137GB and will write the data at the 137GB or somewhere else on the drive depending on where the location gets truncated into 48bits. Now Windows works fine as long as you have written no data at that point but when you do, that's when all the fun starts and you mysteriously cannot boot no matter what you try. Now if you were to remove some data then shrink your partition down to under 137GB then you computer will mysteriously start working or will work after you use the Fixboot or Fixmbr procedures or replace the MBR and/or repair the partition.

It only took a week to figure all this out with trial and error, but now it can possible help someone else.

CoCo Cat Mar 26, 2009, 07:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys, I have just got the same problem days ago. And very lucky, after some attempts it works again. I also checked some solutions on web, at microsoft site, somebody thought this was not a hardware problem but something end with illegal usage of windows......I dont know if this could be a man-made error because most disk in this situation cannot be checked out any surface problem.

For my disk(2.5# 40G hitachi), the promblem happened after:
1, Frequently usage of download with BT.
2, A virus recovered system reinstallation several months before.
3, All partition NTFS,and all few space left (<5%) except C:(1.5G-15%)
4, Because when reinstall the XP I dont have a boot disk, the C: partition was not formatted.I used some PE boot image boot tool installed to do the installation.

Before the error appeared, the disk read and write very slow, and frequently the lE left click menu can't show. So I scheduled a disk boot check. After that, system auto rebooted,then the disk can't work.

To fix it, I tried many times just as most of you did. And I still dont know the cause of this problem.So I just wrote what I have done to make some reference to guys want to fix it by yourself.
1,Take the disk into a usb box and connected it to a desktop pc. Chkdsk /r at command mode.
2,Take a full virus scan to every partition.
3,Backup your files and mount it back.
4,Boot the computer with a xp-PE bootable tools CD, and check the partition format with some partition doctor tool (sorry I forgot its exact name), if it showes a error definition (something with a wrong start track or sector number), correct that, fix the MBR and boot record.
5,chkdsk /F again
6,Make sure boot partition have about 50% free space through delete or move files. Then use tools defrag it. (You'd better not do this with unknown tools, when defrag another partition I made a forced cancel and then lost most of files after repair check) After that, my disk can boot system.
7,Boot with an XP install disk,and enter console mode, execute fixmbr,then fixboot, it would prompt your risk of lose every partition,so before this make your backup. And then if you'd like you can do the chkdsk again. (I think the third-party tools is different whith microsoft's to some degree, for their check result were inconsistent.)
8,Use the XP install disk to make a recovery installation to your boot partition.

That's all I have done.Hope it would make help to you.
And when I use the PE-Bootable CD tools, I read the error promption from the disk MBR! So dont worry about your data or file and dont go make disk repair! This error does not come for BIOS!!! I think it show from MBR because in DOS years I never saw it, it might come from an XP installation fdisk work. If you have a usb disk box,you can backup data at least. And I'm not sure if this caused by virus, because for my situation, it's really every partiton information goes wrong, something like a boot virus? But Mcafee found nothing.....sigh..........:(

hitesh grover Mar 26, 2009, 12:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i got d same error bt den i installed linux ubuntu and it wrkd..so if u need to boot 2 bckup,try linux..

Davino Benedetto Apr 02, 2009, 12:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 02, 2009, 12:28am EDT

Ralph, this is brilliant. Thanks so much for posting a legit fix. Instead of one week to ferret out the problem you helped me get it in one day. I have tried everything with a Lenovo T400 laptop. I imaged two identical laptops with the exact same image and one has this problem and one does not. I did various mbr fixes, restored the OS using Lenovo Rescue and Recovery, which found the data and backup with no problems but still didn't work, tried fixboot and bootcfg and they did not work. I resized my 145GB partition to 75GB and it booted up right to my custom boot.ini menu that I made using bootcfg /rebuild and right into the OS. I'd like to find some more hard data as to what MS says about this. Once again, great work and thanks!

So for all the Linux lovers, yep, it's a windows problem...again.

Romulo Cordova Apr 08, 2009, 01:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i got the same problem on a Samsung Hard Drive... how can i repair it? or is it that my HD is damaged? Thank You

Ralph James Apr 08, 2009, 05:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Read the instructions I posted... They are already there...

Ralph James Apr 08, 2009, 05:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Jeff Hodd Apr 13, 2009, 03:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You're a genius, Ralph. I've been suffering from the same issue - twice in the past 2 weeks in fact. Was about to reformat and re-install - again - when I came across your solution. Makes total sense. Worked like a charm.

Thanks very much. You saved me days of painful reinstallation.

Jeff Hodd Apr 13, 2009, 03:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 13, 2009, 03:36pm EDT

You know, you'd think Microsoft would clarify their "support" for disks larger than 137gb. Obviously their bootloader only supports 48-bit lba, regardless of what their disk driver supports once one has booted up into the OS. It's confusing even to advanced users since it's obvious when you're up and running that there is full support for large disks. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to even imagine that the bootloader wouldn't have been coded with the same support.

I'd say "unbelievable" except that it isn't all that unusual for Microsoft to pull this kind of crap.

Ralph James Apr 14, 2009, 01:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I want to do a little research on this issue. If the people who have used my solution to get their system back could post some information about their machines it would be helpful in that research. The information needed is as follows:

1 - Computer make, model and manufacturer.
2 - Hard disk make, model and manufacturer and size.
3 - If your system came with this HD or you upgraded your computer to the new HD.
4 - If you upgraded, how you put your data on the new HD. Clone software etc...
5 - When you first noticed this problem with your computer.

Any other information you have regarding this issue.

Thanks for you help in this research.

Ralph James Apr 14, 2009, 01:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you would rather contact me directly with the information from my previous post, you can go to http://www.randem.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi to give this information.

Alex Coor Apr 14, 2009, 09:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

It's probably worth noting what service pack the XP installation CD is, too. I had this problem a couple of times, but I made a new XP install CD that had SP2 integrated and have not had any issues since then. I currently have a 750GB system drive on my primary machine, and 500GB system drive on my secondary box.

nintendo1889 Apr 14, 2009, 12:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jenny, your problem is that the BIOS isn't recognizing the drive. First go into the BIOS (hit f1 or f2 or insert or delete) and load the setup or bios defaults. Let us know if that fixes it.

jenny konjich said:

thank you all in advance

Ralph James Apr 14, 2009, 03:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes Alex, the SP version is also good to know.

Thanks

dino m May 04, 2009, 03:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey guys. I really need some help with this error. On my PC I have windows xp and recently I made another partition to install windows 7. Everything worked fine untill I dicided that I want to delete win 7 partition and use only win xp. I used a software that I made partition to delete that same partition and I mearged it with win xp partition. Once I have done that I restarted my PC and it gave pe boot options "boot win 7 or win xp" so I went in recovary and typed bootfix and confirmed and when I restarted I got the error message. I dont have recovary cd because my pc has built in recovary portion but I am not able to access it. Any help would be great because right now I am typing this from my cell...

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.