Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1057 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 09:17pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Ralph James May 04, 2009, 03:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
To boot your recovery partition you will need to set the partition as active the restart the computer. You can do this with any partitioning software. Your boot manager will need t be fixed also. Use the utility that you installed the boot manager to remove the Windows 7 partition information. If you cannot do this boot from a CD that can read the NTFS file system then change the boot.ini file to reflect only the Windows XP partition then restart.

This may give you some relief.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
dino m May 04, 2009, 04:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
thanx for such fast reply. I used GParted 0.4.1 to make partition. Now when I boot from a cd it opens up and there is recovery part and windows part for windows part it has an error saying unable to read the content of this file sistem but recovery part showes up fine but I dont know how to set it as active because there is no that option anywhere

john albrich May 04, 2009, 05:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 04, 2009, 05:09am EDT

Try freeware "Partition Logic". I'm pretty sure it has that option.
http://partitionlogic.org.uk/about/index.html

Read the "limitations" at the bottom of the index webpage.

Also, this may not be the way you want to proceed.

It would probably be best to get a separate HDD, format it using PartitionLogic (or other partition management program) and then restore TO that disc FROM your restore partition disk. That way, you put your restore partition at MUCH less risk of an accidental disk operation. If that is your ONLY copy of the restore partition (e.g. no backup copy, no restore CDs*, etc), you need to exercise extreme care.

*just in case that confuses anyone, a computer I recommended for a friend about a year ago came with BOTH restore CDs and a restore partition on the system disk.

dino m May 04, 2009, 04:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanx for the help but no go. When I boot partition logic from the cd I get error "dettecting hardware:USB buss controller error :: karnel device .c:Karnel device dettect(358) and error -2 dettecting "USB bus controller" devices.

I guess Ill just go to staples and buy a new hard drive...

nintendo1889 May 04, 2009, 05:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 04, 2009, 05:54pm EDT

A second hdd is a smart thing. If money's tight just wipe the drive when you're done and return it to the store for the cost of the restock fee.

Ralph James May 05, 2009, 12:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
dino m said:
thanx for such fast reply. I used GParted 0.4.1 to make partition. Now when I boot from a cd it opens up and there is recovery part and windows part for windows part it has an error saying unable to read the content of this file sistem but recovery part showes up fine but I dont know how to set it as active because there is no that option anywhere

Yes, in GPartd right click on the partition then select "Manage Flags", from there select "Boot" to mark the partition as active.

john albrich May 05, 2009, 02:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
dino m said:
thanx for the help but no go. When I boot partition logic from the cd I get error "dettecting hardware:USB buss controller error....

If you don't need USB and that's the only msg you get, I wouldn't worry about it. It does suggest however, that you have a very bizarre or damaged mobo. In my experience, USB is almost universally recognized by bootable utility suites.

dino m May 06, 2009, 12:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 06, 2009, 12:52am EDT

Thanx a lot john albrich Setting it as boot in GParted worked. My system is up and running again but I had to reinstall whole system so everything I had on mu drive was lost. Anybody knows any software thats able to get back those files???

Ralph James May 06, 2009, 01:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
dino m said:
Thanx a lot john albrich Setting it as boot in GParted worked. My system is up and running again but I had to reinstall whole system so everything I had on mu drive was lost. Anybody knows any software thats able to get back those files???

That's great, but it was not john who a=gave you that info...

dino m May 06, 2009, 02:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 06, 2009, 02:05am EDT

Sorry wrong name. Thanx man. This is the only site that was able to help me out with this problem

nintendo1889 May 06, 2009, 11:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 06, 2009, 11:12am EDT

acronis disk director suite is the only program I've used personally that worked with a usb drives.

Ralph James May 06, 2009, 09:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dino,

Did you format the other partition or just recover it. You could use TESTDISK on the Linux System Rescue CD to find the partition and you will not loose any files. If you already have created a new partition you may be out of luck if you formatted it. If you did a Quick format then all may not be lost. You can file your files again with a program named RecoverMyFiles (Google it) as well as many others.

dino m May 07, 2009, 03:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 07, 2009, 03:16am EDT

Yes I installed system on that portion that I had files on and it formatted it. It happened to me once before and I was ablo to recover files but it looks that this time is impossible. But what maters is that my system is up and running thanx to you guys....

Hermes Franco May 19, 2009, 02:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this trouble for several days, couldn't even get to windows, failed on every installation, and then i change several settings on BIOS and everything went smooth... i disabled ide bus mastering and APIC. I don't know why it worked, but now i' happy again :).. i hope someone can solve his problem with this "method"

Robin Areo Jul 19, 2009, 07:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So if Im understanding this correctly when getting a disk read error - Press Ctrl,Alt,Del... one needs to reformat their harddrive? And the only way to save data is after formatting hard drive try and do a restore? Thanks

Ralph James Jul 20, 2009, 01:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Robin Areo said:
So if Im understanding this correctly when getting a disk read error - Press Ctrl,Alt,Del... one needs to reformat their harddrive? And the only way to save data is after formatting hard drive try and do a restore? Thanks

No, that is entirely incorrect... Please read for one solution http://www.randem.com/discus/messages/9402/9406.html?1245733195

You can also boot from a Linux System Rescue or Bart PE CD to see your data.

Robin Areo Jul 20, 2009, 03:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks.. while this is good news... im not sure where to begin. My conflice is that Im having a hard to visualizing how to do this when my computer will not even boot up. I was able to go into the basics providing the type of processer you have, serial number, etc... and I did n otic an exclamation point next to REALTEK, BOOT AGENT. Maybe this is always like this???? Did get my attention though. Oh and the parallel port Mode said i was in ECP/EPP mode...??

Anyway. Thanks for your reply and the good news... but how would i use the software you made mention of when i cant get past the error. I have a MADDOG external drive.. should i use this or will i need to get another harddrive... Im totally useless at this point... but would really like to learn how to do this just in case this problem arrises again.

Ralph James Jul 20, 2009, 10:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Did you even try to boot from one of the CD's that I mentioned BEFORE you gave up?

Z Nelson Jul 22, 2009, 02:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am running Vista right now and I got the same error. It won't boot any disks and I don't know what to do. I'm kind of new to this, so I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a way to format it without running the disk? I know, that may seem like a dumb question to you guys, but I need a step by step.

Please help me?

Ralph James Jul 22, 2009, 02:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Are you saying that you cannot boot from a CD? If so you need to get into BIOS and change the boot order to place the CD first in the list. You will then be able to boot from a CD. On some systems while attempting to boot from a CD you will get a message as such:

"Press any key to boot from CD"

If you miss this it will attempt to boot from the HD.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.