Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1571 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 01:58pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Z Nelson Jul 22, 2009, 03:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jul 22, 2009, 03:01am EDT

>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
It won't automatically boot the CD and Im not getting anything. Just the Dell load screen and then the disk read error.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ralph James Jul 22, 2009, 03:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
Just when you get the Dell screen start pressing F2 to get into Setup. That option should be on the screen.

Z Nelson Jul 22, 2009, 03:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ah ha! That helped a lot. Sorry for the dumb questions. But thank you very much!

Ralph James Jul 22, 2009, 03:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The first thing you should do it to run a chkdsk /f on the volume to see if that fixes it. If not then download and create a Vista Recovery Disk to see if that will work.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/

Robin Areo Jul 22, 2009, 04:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sort of confusing I don't know if the last few replys were meant for me or Z Nelson???

Ralph James Jul 22, 2009, 04:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The replies after Z Nelson Asked a question were for him.

Ralph James Jul 22, 2009, 04:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Robin, but much of what I stated can help you also.

Robin Areo Jul 22, 2009, 04:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Much?? Meaning what part and what part isnt included.. hmmmm... lol

This is to intricate of a matter.. and needing a clearer picture before proceeding. This is the way I approach everything in life. I appreciate your time

Ralph James Jul 22, 2009, 04:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, you don't need to change the BIOS, but then again you might... Can you boot from the Bart PE or Linux System Rescue CD?

If you can boot from Bart PE you can run chkdsk /f to fix the file system then try to boot regularly. If you are running Vista get the Vista Rescue CD...

Robin Areo Jul 22, 2009, 05:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ralph James said:
Well, you don't need to change the BIOS, but then again you might... Can you boot from the Bart PE or Linux System Rescue CD?

If you can boot from Bart PE you can run chkdsk /f to fix the file system then try to boot regularly. If you are running Vista get the Vista Rescue CD...

Is it ok to use Vista.. the sick laptop is an XP Pro, hp pavillion 7000zd. If so where do I acquire this?

Ralph James Jul 22, 2009, 05:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Robin,

No DO NOT USE THE VISTA RECOVERY DISC!!!

Use the Bart PE Disk - http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

If you have the XP Pro disc Boot from it then use the Recovery Console to run chkdsk /f or /r

Jimmy Ken Jul 28, 2009, 12:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It simply means what it says. "I recognized your disk but could not bootstrap the drive". Probably drive did not yet reached advertised rotational speed or operating temperature -- it was just cold.

Don't just yet press restart or power off. Let it sit there. Wait 5 minutes and do a reboot.

It should solve 99% of the cases. If it did not, your drive became defective or your motherboard.

KJ Jul 30, 2009, 11:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I too have the same error just turn up when I was embarking on a major sort out and back up. Neither of which got done. I cannot get the r consule to work, chkdsk equally will not work.

I have XP, with a seagate 750gb HD about 15 months old, replaced an 80gb. All XP wants to do is format the drive. I want the entire 500 gb contents intact. Especially the my documents file it has my daily medical records in it that I need.

HD now attached to another comp in a usb external enclosure. Using Easus it says the following:
J drive, is unformatted 128gb size,128 gb used, 0 bytes unused active status, primary
* is unallocated 570.64gb size 0 bytes used, 570.64gb unused, none status, logical.

Where is my contents and why is the drive now blank state? Can I recover my data and how do I go about fixing the problem. I am a complete novice with all of this and most of what I read made my head spin I just don't understand what to do.

U S Aug 01, 2009, 02:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok guys, I got one final solution for this error....its not a hardware problem, its not ur OS problem, or its not what u all think it is........

Here it is.......

what i have done to remove this error..........

"go to the bios setup & change the 1st boot priority setting your HDD, save & done......"

So be happy OK....

btw i signed up here just to put this msg.......ty..

joe mckinnney Aug 04, 2009, 11:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
uh i dont see that option when i go to bios and 1st boot please explain more thanks

U S Aug 04, 2009, 11:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

U S Aug 05, 2009, 12:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In some computers you have to hit ENTER button to enter the bios in others it is DEL button to enter.....then go through all the menus using the ARROW keys, in one of them there will be a boot sequence or boot priority option will be there....you just have to change that....if 1st boot device is DVD drive then change it into HDD.....Whatever the boot device just change it to HDD....press F10 button and save....VIOLA........thats the end of that error............hope that this will help you.........thankyou.....

sandeep gupta Aug 06, 2009, 01:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i too encounter the same problem.. my desktop shows the same.. i have run chkdis too... it shows one msg once there is error in cyber player and hanged aftrwards whenver i booted i got the msg CTL+ALT+DEL to restart...

pls help me.. window XP professional 2003, 250 GB HDD, C2D 2.53 GHz processor, 2 GB ram..

waiting for reply

sandp_gupta@yahoo.co.in

U S Aug 06, 2009, 01:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hai all,
This is an annoying error and I too encountred this one......I really thought that, I had to format my system and reinstall the OS......but just before doing that I checked the bios and saw that my boot device priority is changed(I dont knw how) so for the sake of it I changed it to HDD/Harddisk and exit the bios after saving it......when i started the computer after that the error was gone.........

It will be better if you search in google how to enter bios and dealing with different options inside......btw every computer may have a different type of entering method into bios & bios setup window.........

Remember its not a big deal..............

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange_2.htm

Hope this link will help you all.....Thankyou....

sandeep gupta Aug 06, 2009, 04:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,
I did all possibilities but still getting same msg and now its showing error loading software when i boot from OS.. i try to change the booting order but its not working..i m working OEM XP with 2003, professional.

Pls look into it..

Thanx n Regards

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.