Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 938 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 09:06am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Volker Weeber Sep 13, 2010, 04:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
Hi all together,

updating the BIOS solved the problem on my Laptop!!!

I have an old HP NX6325, which never ever had any problem! No single crash until now: A few months ago I replaced the hard disk, I went from 80G to 640G. Everything went fine, until some day the evil happend ... I was able to boot from CD (I allways have a BART PE available, see http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) and saved an image of the complet disk to a external USB drive ("clonzilla live" is a great tool to create an image).
- chkdsk didn't help :~
- Reformating the hard disk (complete, no fast mode) didn't help :~
- Fixboot didn't help :~
- Reducing the data on the hard disk didn't help (reduced from 154G to approx. 133G) :~
- Downloading and installing a newer BIOS version was the solution. The old BIOS was from 2006, the newest available version from 2007. ;)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tyler Foster Oct 11, 2010, 05:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
Gateway 9510 Server running Windows Server 2003 Std. Had the "a disk read error occured" issue after breaking the raid 1 in attempts to upgrade from two 80gb sata hdds to two 500gb sata hdds. Worked for days and days (18 hours collectively) trying every trick i could think of to resolve the issue. Finally after reading this I checked gateway for bios updates. Found out the bios was 5 years of out date. Updated and pc booted first try. Have yet to recreate the raid 1 but im certain that it will go flawlessly..

I dont know if this will work for others.. but the Bios update was my final act of desperation and it resolved the issue.

Jock Blair Oct 13, 2010, 08:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this problem Hard disc failure. Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart. I have now been running the computer for the last three days without problem. I turned of all automatic updates including from Microsoft without relief. Updated the BIOS no diffrence.
In short the problem was that every time I started the computer I received the CTRL ALT DEL message to restart the computer. When I used Norton Ghost to restore the hard disc from the latest backup the computer would start without issue. Even if I took a backup just before shutting down the system, I was able to use that backup to restore the hard disc and the computer would start-up OK.
The computer is a HP Compaq nx8220 running XP (SP3), which came with a 60gb HD. Some months ago I was running out of disc space and purchased a new 160gb HD. Everything has been find up until this problem started some three weeks ago now. When the problem first occurred I purchased a new 160gb HD and installed it restored my backup and the system ran fine for a couple of days until the problem reoccurred. I have now partitioned the disc to a 90gb HD as primary C: drive {I'm only using about 75gb}and a 59gb HD secondary drive. Restored the Norton Ghost backup to the primary drive C: and the computer has been working fine for the last 3 days. Hope this helps someone else.

Syeidin Kibria Dec 02, 2010, 01:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I bought my Computer 3 years ago with a warranty of three years which is about to finish. In this three years my Hard drive crushed for 4times. It shows " A disk error occurred", then I restart and i it starts normally. But when um doing something in it. Ithangs for sometime. Then ok. It crashes after 3monthes. Then I got a new hard drive and again after 6 monthes it crashes. I tried to use linux ubuntu, it says kernel not found. cant start but sometimes t starts. noooooooooow what. If this time my HD crashes I will have to buy a new one. What is the problem?????

Motherboard: DG 31 PR Intel
160GB HD
1GB RAM
Core2duo 2.20hz processor
Windows7ultimate

tanya henry Dec 14, 2010, 08:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have this same problem, can you retreieve your files? i haven't backed up my data

Oliver Buckley Dec 14, 2010, 01:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Tania,
Yes you can retrieve your files.
You need to install a different hard disk, set it as the boot disk and load an OS onto it.
Once booted into this new disk, your old problem disk should be fully legible as a secondary drive. You can copy files onto the new hard disk or back them up onto your preferred medium.

gary marshall Feb 05, 2011, 04:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had this issue for months on a spare pc. I have changed cables, pc, ram, xp disks, on and on. I had a thought after reading this site, and switched the ide cable on the cd and hdd. I made the cdrom the master and the hdd the slave, and it worked right away.

john albrich Feb 05, 2011, 11:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 05, 2011, 11:34pm EST

Gary,

You do NOT want the HDD and CDROM on the same cable.

If those are the only 2 drives in your system, and you have 2 IDE ports, then put them each on their own cable, and make them both Master. The Master drive's position is the connector on the end of the cable. The middle connector is the Slave drive's position*.

You should also notice a significant performance improvement.

I'm going to assume you don't have any SATA ports. But if you do...and you have only 1 IDE port, then change one (or both) of your 2 drives to SATA and you'll also avoid the problem entirely. A SATA DVD drive is only US$16 these days, but your system performance would benefit more by using a SATA HDD drive.

gary marshall said:
...I made the cdrom the master and the hdd the slave, and it worked right away.

*More explicitly, these are the Master/Slave drive positions on a cable when you use the CableSelect option of drive assignment. However, when you have ONLY 1 drive on a cable, it is to be ALWAYS attached to the END connector. This is for electrical design reasons. For example; If an HDD is attached to the middle connector and the end connector is left empty, it can cause data errors because the signal quality at the HDD's connection point is degraded by what is called an improperly terminated transmission line.

Frank White Feb 12, 2011, 12:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow i must say, ive searched the net for a week to try and find something that would fix this problem!!!
Ive gotten the same disk read error on 2 of 3 of my laptops!
I have 3 identical compac presario x1000s
NOW THIS MAY SOUND LIKE THE BIGGEST CONSPIRACY THEORY...BUT HEAR ME OUT...

the firs one got the disk read error off the bat, i was like damn....cuz i just bought the hdd how could that be.....so i put it in an external, checked the files , the drive...alll was good....put it bak in the laptop and tried to reinstal windows "lleaving the file system intact" option...
guess what... after windows disk fineshes copying the sys files n reboots......
it goes
disk read error!
i thought for sure it was a bad drive now.....
but no
i would not give up
so i put the drive bak in the external case searched for the system32 folder.....it was gone
looked harder..... and found out some worm got in my pc....and made my system32 folder hidden!!! so it was there all along, now i dont know if this will affect windows on boot....but why the hell did it do that in the first place??
so to further check this issue...i went on and cloned this drive with a brand ne one....
after the cloneing...i poped the cloned drive into the laptop.....
bam.....
disk read error.....
so ha...now....theres no way u can clone a PHYSICAL hdd error to another drive!!!!
so its deffinetly a bug in the system!!!!!
I said fudge it...copied all my data...and formatted both drives.....guess what...
they both run fine now!!!!!

So.....the first thing i notice in all this was...my 2 laptops that had just finishing updates to microsofts new genuine advantage tool both had crashed with either the "missing hal.dll file" or the disk read error!!!!!
the 1 laptop that i never updated past SP2...still runs strong!!!!!!

In conclusion ...heres my theory....
Ever notice with the new WGA it says youve been counterfitted, and your windows is not valid, yet you have the cd, and the key, u call MS and they will make all sorts of excuses why this happened...yet wen you go to validate online....it says your os is stolen and you must resolve the problem, it takes you to a pages that says ur version of XP is no longer available!!!!
YOU MUST UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 7......they want you to buy the new stuff!!!!!!

MICROSOFT IS PURPOSELY SENDING OUT WORMS N VIRUSES TO US XP USERS TO GET US TO UPGRADE SO THEY CAN MAKE MONEY!!!!!!

SO WHATEVER YOU DO.....SET YOU WINDOWS UPDAT TO " NOTIFY ME BEFORE DOWNLOADING"
VIEW WHAT UR UPDATING!!!, MAKE SURE ITS NOT THE NEW WGA!
IT WONT GO AWAY, AND TASK MANAGER CANT SHUT IT DOWN ANYMORE, NOR LET YOU DELET THE FILE!!!!!
UVE UPDATED MY SP3 WITH ALL UPDATES EXCEPT THE WGA TOOL, AND MY PC HAS BEEN SMOOTH EVER SINCE!!!!!

CALL ME CRAZY BUT EVERYTHING IVE READ......ALL PPL SAY IS YOU HAVE A BAD DRIVE...AND THATS WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO BELIEVE

BUT ITS THEM

Hope this helps

Phil Kay Feb 13, 2011, 05:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Updating the bios to later bios can help in some cases as the partitioning solution (see below) may not be necessary if the new bios supports LBA.

(LBA Support for large hard drives) = some older computers do not support drives larger than 137 GB and when formatted with windows, and files added it will not show a problem. As soon as data is added above 137GB - it wipes off data at the beginning of the drive, so loss of start up - see below:-

Phil Kay said:
I think I have a solution to this problem:

This occurs when an old computer is fitted with a hard drive larger than 137 GB - Unless the PC has LBA support for large hard drives, you may be aware that xp SP2 and above have LBA support but the motherboard also has to support it (it should be in the bios if it is supported). If LBA is not supported in the bios, when windows is installed and the disc formatted, windows will stop formatting at 137 GB although it tells you the drive is larger, the parts of the drive are not formatted. When the disk is filled with data and reaches 137 GB, windows continues to fill the disk but it will lose the boot sector and the message comes up.

In my case, all the data is good on the hard drive - if swapped to another PC as a slave drive.
As my pc does not support LBA had to rethink.
I have used a partition software to partition the large 250 gb drive into two parts, none larger than 137 GB, the first partition to carry windows but much smaller than the max allowed. I formatted with NTFS both partitions. When installing windows, I installed on first smaller partition and formatted that partition again with the windows disk during installation. I have copied the data back accross and will update if this is now successful.

Please note - do not re-format or partition the drive without making sure you back up the data first or use a fresh HDD, I had bought another one the first time the fault occurred, on refilling the new HDD the problem occurred, so I still had original HDD to copy from. WARNING re-partition and format will otherwise lose all data on the drive.

Hope this helps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank White Feb 15, 2011, 05:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I appreciate your information, but I dont think this is the issue, I have reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows and all my programs, games and music from my clone. I have sopped all windows updates and turned off the windows update service, I will now only manually install needed updates.
So far my laptop has been running flawlwssly.....It has the same amount of data on it as it did before it crashed so I dont think the LBA was it!
It sureley is very hard to believe that MS would be that greedy for $ but when it popped up and said would you like to " RESOLVE THIS ISSUUE" and brought me to a page that said my AUTHENTIC copy of XP that came with my unit was no longer available, and that I should UPGRADE to windows 7.......I just laughed and was like yeah OK!
I am a pc lover and a Mac hater, but i deffinetly see why people turn to mac, but mac has their little money scheems with their adapters too! ;)
Its all about the $
Gotta love it!

Take care all!

Alex Papadopoulos May 06, 2011, 09:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, i've chaged disk access mode under standart cmos settings in bios from AUTO to LARGE and it solved my problem. Hope this helps...

yeboah sylvester May 18, 2011, 05:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have the same problem. But in mine, the setup cd can not even boot

Tauno Suikkanen May 20, 2011, 04:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's occur also for me :-(

W2K 5.00.2195 service pack 4
Gigabyte Pentium4 Titan 667 Series GA-8PE667 Ultra rev.1 BIOS ver F3 (upgrade from F2 - 3 years without errors)
DVD Toshiba SD-R1202
CD burner - Plextor PX-W2410A
HD ATA133 Maxtor 160 Gb 6Y160P0
2x80 Gb ATA133 RAID (stripe)Promise 2+0 (don't remember the HD manafaktura)
Win2000 Promise MBFastTrak133 Lite (tm) Controller

Black sceeren, when i try to boot from CD

Both IDE1, IDE2, Floppy, and dual wires to connect RAID. I have disconnet one at the time.
Still the same error.

I could see all the device's in the BIOS

I could'nt get a command promt, So any command from this was not an option

My Linux is on an other PC, so I can tell how a Linux boot will work.

But I see this from "Rick R"
-- go into the bios and
-- activate "Load Fail-Safe Defaults"

Next boot, the "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" have disabled my RAID.

Back in the BIOS and set RAID.

And now i work fine :-)

Great Thanks too "Rick R" and the website

Matthew Aitken May 29, 2011, 01:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 29, 2011, 02:01am EDT

I had a client with this problem, the hard drive showed up the BIOS, only it was pretty safe to say that the hard drive was in fact dead. I ran a chkdsk from hirens and it came back with countless 'hard drive segment unreadable' errors. It was running for a good 20-30 mins and only made it to 9 percent..

It was a Toshiba netbook with Win7 on it, he'd only had it for 2+ weeks and out of the blue the error popped up and indeed the hard drive had corrupted itself. Toshiba would have had many instances of this happening, and would simply replace the disk.

This just demonstrates that this error could mean variety of things that all need to be tried before ruling out the hard drive altogether. If the hard drive is very slow (even off a thumb drive) then there's a good chance it's faulty. Like in my case.

Hope this helps.

Jarrod Lively May 31, 2011, 02:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For the paranoid folks who think this is a ploy to get people to upgrade, please. I have Win 7 64 bit on one Seagate and one WD, and the issue still occurs (not a dual boot system; only one of the IDE cables is plugged in). Interestingly enough, I also get the error that says there is a hardware I/O error (CD Drive or HD gone bad), which precedes this error. Once you run Win repair and No errors are found, windows boots like a charm. I've replaced my HDs (x2) and CD-ROM (x3) and the problem is not hardware related, at least from the I/O devices. I'm wondering if this is a Mobo or processor issue, but it sounds like most people are able to boot linux just fine, even when windows doesn't boot.

This is one aggrevating problem...I have a feeling this error can be created by other problems, which is why we can't standardize troubleshooting procedures.

Ayse Smith Jul 21, 2011, 04:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for all the help on this one guys.

Nothing worked but i thought i'd try a FIXBOOT while i was in the DOS prompt and it miraculously worked ;)

Rick Gordon Aug 03, 2011, 11:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After 9 years running WIN XP on an old computer, I finally had this error. I was rebooting after installing a new monitor. OUCH! Looked for loose connections, etc. but all looked good. Found this forum and started reading. OMG!!! This is taking a long time to read and no good solution, only a lot of different fixes that work for some and not for others. I was one of the others.

I carefully followed most of the suggestions:

1. Checked all cables and cords for damage and loose conns. All looked good.
2. Booted with XP disc and went to recovery. Found that my "C:" and "D:" drives had changed letter designation. Of course no WIN XP installed on my "D:" drive which is now my "C:" drive. Ran chkdsk /r. Still had the error.
3. Switched pins on both HDD to use manual setting rather than cable select. Now "C:" drive is actually shown as "C:" drive. But still had error.
4. Change BIOS to disable LBA, Still had the error. Changed back to enable LBA.
5. Ran fixboot and fixmbr. Still had error.
6. Tried to flash BIOS, but latest update was set up to run in WINDOWS and I couldn't figure out how to run it.
7. Removed battery to reset CMOS. Still the error.
8. Finally gave up and reinstalled WIN XP on the "C:" drive. All data was lost, but I had a backup from 2 days ago including backup of the registry.

This worked and XP booted up. I flashed the BIOS, then reinstalled the previous registry and all the files. Only had a few applications with problems and reinstalled them from their disc. Seems to be working great now. Not being a tech, it took me over 2 full days to get back to normal, much of which was reading thru these posts. They were very helpful. At least I know where to start if and when the error returns.

G S Oct 02, 2011, 02:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys !!

The answer for DISK READ ERROR is

adiskreaderror.blogspot.com and put comments so that I can answer for doubts.

G S Oct 02, 2011, 02:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys !!

The answer for DISK READ ERROR is

adiskreaderror.blogspot.com and put comments so that I can answer for doubts.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.