Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 994 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 09:15pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
mike Trs Oct 18, 2011, 04:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
So... I followed some of the advice in this thread but unfortunately nothing worked :( BUT I did get the computer to get past that error and this is how I did it, hopefully this will help somebody else.

First off, the computer is a Compaq nc6000 from HP, the hard drive is a WD2500BEVE Scorpio Blue. It was brand new when I put it in this system with a fresh Windows XP install using NTFS a couple months ago.

After reading a bunch of coments about how NTFS is usually the culprit with this type of issues, I began to wonder if I chosing NTFS over FAT32 had been a bad idea, especially after recalling that this sistem did actually come with FAT32 when it was brought in for repair... anyway.

So, disk read error, then what? I tried a bunch of the options on HIREN"S boot cd but nothing helped except for mini windows xp which let me see all of the files in the drive, that led me to believe that there was nothing mechanically wrong with the drive.

Then I popped in Spinrite and this is where I made some progress. Spinrite said that I should not run it on that disk because of the "invalid partition for drive size". Now what does that mean, and why it happened? I'll never know, unless someone replies with the answer (PLEASE DO).

So... for some reason resizing the partition immediately after getting that message from spinrite never crossed my mind. I pulled the drive from the laptop and hooked it up to my desktop pc. I was going to clone the drive to another one, see if that helped, but the target disk was only 80GB and the source is 250GB that meant I had to shrink the partition on the source disk. After doing the resizing I thought "oh what the hell, let's try it" and guess what? It worked!

So now the drive is split in two but hey... it works... now I am wondering if this will be a permanent solution or if it's gonna give more rouble in the future...

What do you think?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Martin Sobrino Jan 01, 2012, 01:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.
I turned off my computer then... I cleaned the CPU... then, I cooled it a bit and it works just fine..

Loyd Fox Jun 11, 2012, 12:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was able to correct the issue by going to the Advanced Boot Options (press F8 during startup) and choosing the Last Known Good Configuration.

I know this may never work for this again, but it saved several hours for me today.

Jacki Chunn Nov 16, 2012, 07:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Link to a Solution to Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"
I had the same problem. This site is a lifesaver! ---> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Phil Kay Nov 23, 2012, 05:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Philkay said in 2009:

This occurs when an old computer is fitted with a hard drive larger than 137 GB - Unless the PC has LBA support for large hard drives, you may be aware that xp SP2 and above have LBA support but the motherboard also has to support it (it should be in the bios if it is supported). If LBA is not supported in the bios, when windows is installed and the disc formatted, windows will stop formatting at 137 GB although it tells you the drive is larger, the parts of the drive are not formatted. When the disk is filled with data and reaches 137 GB, windows continues to fill the disk but it will lose the boot sector and the message comes up.

In my case, all the data is good on the hard drive - if swapped to another PC as a slave drive.
As my pc does not support LBA had to rethink.
I have used a partition software to partition the large 250 gb drive into two parts, none larger than 137 GB, the first partition to carry windows but much smaller than the max allowed. I formatted with NTFS both partitions. When installing windows, I installed on first smaller partition and formatted that partition again with the windows disk during installation. I have copied the data back accross and will update if this is now successful.

Please note - do not re-format or partition the drive without making sure you back up the data first or use a fresh HDD, I had bought another one the first time the fault occurred, on refilling the new HDD the problem occurred, so I still had original HDD to copy from. WARNING re-partition and format will otherwise lose all data on the drive.

Hope this helps
think this is still relevant for many of your problems

Rick Manson Feb 10, 2013, 02:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 16, 2013, 04:38am EST

Problem with Del Thorne's senario on pg. 4 about changing drive jumper to 'Master' is that newer SATA drives don't generally come with jumpers for 'Master', 'Slave', 'Cable Select'. I have that very situation and my Seagate SATA drive only has a jumper with 4 pins indicating 2 for 150MB mode and the other 2 for 300MB mode.

I must have spent 40 hours researching this issue back in 2011 and revisited this same machine since being moth-balled and spent another 40 hours.

Anyway, my particulars may be a bit unique. However, As I remember, I then decided to move the hardware to a an older box so that I could build a new system in the box this 2007 machine was in. Worked fine but while moving I noticed that the SATA connectors wiggled a little more than usual. After using the system for a couple months and subsequently changing drives and plugging and unplugging the SATA connectors I started noticing drive read write error on the slave. Then started noticing them on the system drive. I then inspected and noticed that the SATA connector pins or wires started breaking at the through hole point on the board. At least one lead on the slave I noted was broken and one on the system drive was almost broken but on messing a little a few more broke on each. This is when the BSOD 7b error first started and then finding that it halted on MUP.sys as I tried Safe Mode.

I did all the testing with UBCD and diagnosing via a USB dongle.

This is an MSI MS-7312 K9MM-V motherboard. I updated to the 1.6 BIOS in 2010 and I can't remember but had a good reason not to updat to the v1.7 or v1.8

I tried replacing all drivers, replaced the registry hives with backup copy. Tried the Win cd and clicked 'New Install' and then 'R'. These are some of the major things that should have fixed it.

I am about ready to give up but didn't want to give up if there is an easy fix but I am now skeptical. I am pretty sure though that my issue has something to do with the SATA connectors breaking and doing something .

Feel free to give some suggestions on what you think broken SATA connectors would do and how to fix this and at least make the drive boot via USB.

Steve T., from your post on page 7 I assume you are a writer and most likely write mystery and romance novels.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.