Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1239 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 16 - 05:23am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Rick R Aug 19, 2004, 12:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Aug 19, 2004, 12:31am EDT

>> * Possible Solution *
After having this problem, and reading all of the posts in this thread. I still had no luck with the error.
Until i read somewhere to

-- go into the bios and
-- activate "Load Fail-Safe Defaults"

(After that i just changed the cpu fsb frequency, and the boot order (CD-rom - IDE 0 etc) and left everything else alone.
That fixed the problem for me, and now windows boots fine.

Hope this helps...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Randy Young Aug 24, 2004, 04:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
Resetting the motherboard bios to default solved my problem!

I have now seen 3 of these units come into my shop.

3 3 differant Hard drives

the first didn't work even after writing 000 to the drive (replaced motherboard to solve problem) (Gateway unit)

The 2nd a low lev format did the trick (reloaded XP) (saved clients data first as the drive worked great as a slave)

this one was the Resetting the motherboard bios to default one.

not to throw a monkey wrench into the mix but 2 of them were xp Home and not pro. I think it's time we started to pound the microsoft techs with this one.

Igor Rudenko Sep 25, 2004, 04:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the very similar probliem. It appeared when I connected my Seagate 40 gigs hdd thru rack mount. When drive connected directly it works perfectly, but when rack mount used Windows XP failed to boot with that annoying error "Drive read error occured ,,,". I tried different drives / racks / cables / fixmbr / fixboot ... nothing help.

The problem solved by __disabling IDE bus master __ in BIOS

I don't know why, but it works :)

Predator Sep 25, 2004, 07:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hmmm...thats a good question.....why dont u try reformatting your whole hard drive?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Jeff Mather Oct 04, 2004, 09:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm going nuts with the same "Disk Read Error". I reformatted my hard drive and tried to install XP. Tired NTSF first, got the error, went to recovery mode, ran fixmbr - no help. I can call to the c drive in DOS and get a directory, so I must be OK as far as the drive, controller, and cable go, right?
then tried FAT, no luck.
There is an update to the BIOS (PC=DellOptiplex gx400), but I can't get the update to run on the floppy.
I need this fixed ASAP, if anyone has been successful in a similar situation, please give me some hints

thanks.
Jeff

Will Bissett Oct 11, 2004, 02:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'd heard this might be caused by NTFS being more 'sensitive' to hard disk errors than FAT32, but like many other I suffered the dreaded 'disk read error' too and lots of diagnostics show no problem with the disk.

For those of you wondering, this problem has not been resolved by XP SP2. From all accounts it seems best to install Windows XP on a FAT32 partition or disk (others suggest that FAT32 to NTFS upgrade is also stable - I don't know).

Some 15 months ago I upgraded a Win98SE system to XP SP1 on a FAT32 system and had no problems - was actually delighted at the stability compared to 98SE. Reinstalled (integrated XP Pro SP2) onto a new faster 160GB drive, clean formatted for NTFS, a month ago. Noticed that the previous FAT32 upgrade was actually more stable and had less problems - no show-stoppers but occasional problems that I hadn't expected given the good press that MS give NTFS. Got the 'disk read error' message yesterday, completely unexpectedly - no new programmes had been installed. PC worked fine one night, didn't the next morning. Like many people here I had some 120Gb of data loaded and although most was backed up I didn't want to lose what wasn't backed up or have to go through the nausea of reloading it all. I tried everything I could think of:

Checked cables for tears etc
Moved cables around/re-set jumpers
Tried different cables
Checked BIOS
Boot to Windows CD
Ran recovery, tried fixmbr, fixboot,
Tried recovery, repair windows

All to no avail. Found another PC that worked (!) - went round the forums and found that this wasn't uncommon with NTFS, and tried the additional tips (thanks to all of you for advice) given here including:

chkdsk /r - (reportedly found an error and repaired)
fixmbr (again)
fixboot
....but still didn't work

In the end, I recabled my old 20Gb, formatted it for trusty FAT32 and reloaded Windows onto that. Got the system up and running and could see the disk that wouldn't boot. Ran Seagate Diskwizard disk checking tools for every level - came back clean every time (even on the thorough check that took over an hour). Ran other utilities to check disk - all came back clean. Data seemed fine, checked system files/ config files etc - all fine. Tried re-booting to this disk again.. still no luck. So simply transferred those files that weren't backed-up (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech for information on how to take ownership of protected NTFS files), and wiped the system files from the 160GB NTFS disk. Now using it as a slave. Whole experience was a pain in the neck, but relatively few hours wasted - only 6 on this occasion! One day I may get around to doing a FAT32 partition on the faster 160GB disk and reinstalling windows - but right now I can't be bothered wasting any more time. My experience is consistent with those who say it is an XP/NTFS issue - and guys, I'm afraid it hasn't been resolved by SP2. By all accounts it seems best to stick with FAT32 for the windows installation. If you don't then make sure you've got a spare disk ready for the day it falls over.

Davy Dane Oct 12, 2004, 01:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For anyboby who is interested and still has this problem you can try this. It worked for me. Boot from the floppy using partition magic recovery disks. Go to your c: drive and check your cluster size. If it is higher than 4 kb then this could be your problem. Resize to 4 kb and then reboot. Hold down delete and go to bios and choose load optimized defaults. Save and reboot. Then boot from the windows xp cd and enter recovery console and run chkdsk /p. Hope this helps. If not good luck then.

Davy Dane Oct 12, 2004, 01:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry for the double post but maybe if you have more than one partition or hard drive you should resize all of them to 4kb cluster size or it might not work.

G L Oct 28, 2004, 01:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hmmm... had W2K system with latest SPs, fixes and 2 weeks ago started having Disk Read Errors.
Continual CTRL-ALT-DEL and re-starts allows system to boot properly... finally.
CHKDSK found no errors.

Formatted system (deleted partition, recreated, formatted drive... don't have low level format tool for Samsung drive) and installed XP Pro to NTFS drive. Seemed to work fine until next day... Disk Read Error.
Problem crosses OS levels... suspect BIOS/NTFS...

Del Thorne Nov 11, 2004, 10:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 11, 2004, 10:30am EST

Hello,

The same horrible error happen on one of the system I support. I can tell you this. Our systems are updated daily with Norton Antivirus definitions. All of the latest service packs and critical updates are applied. The system is less then 5 months old, so I doubt it's the ribbon cable but on inspection it looked fine. I will swap for testing purposes simply because it sounds like the easy thing to do. Itís is highly likely that the error receive will only be fix by a reinstall of WinXP Our system are WinXP SP2 with all of the latest updates applied.

It sounds like I to will try all of the above fixes in this thread to see where that leads me. I have as others have mention set the faulty drive up as a slave on another system. I perform a virus scan on the faulty drive and itís = OK . In setting the drive up as a slave Iím able to access the drive however if you do not have the resources or skill to do this then you may be out of luck. This allows me access all the files on the faulty drive.

It does indeed sound like a WinXP/NTFS problem. I may clone the drive using Ghost to see if that fixes the problem but I do not believe it will. The other options are

FixMBR, chkdsk /r

Partition Magic to convert the drive from NTFS system to Fat32. Then attempt to reconfvert from Fat 32 to NTFS for better security.

Del Thorne Nov 11, 2004, 11:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Resloved Solution Iím not sure but at least resolved.

I removed the faulty drive as indicated earlier. I set the jumper on the faulty drive as a slave and configure another drive as the Primary drive or Master. I install the faulty drive into another system and booted the computer.
I ran Norton Antivirus scan and it check out okay as I assume it would.
I had Spybot loaded on the faulty drive so I launch it from drive D: Spybot found 2 errors so It fixed those. It said DSO exploits. I did not click on details.

Remember the original drive is now a slave in another system Win2K detected the drive fine and assign the drive letter with in Windows. Bios of the system recognized the faulty drive fine also. Drive appears to be find diag said drive is fine. It must be WinXP related.

Iím thinking not the drive probably MBR or WinXP startup file system corrupted

After performing the above I decided to Ghost the system as mention earlier and also recommended by a few of you. I removed the known good drive and the faulty drive and placed back in the original computer. Since the faulty drive is the one I wish to Ghost I change the jumper settings making it the Master drive and change the good drive jumper to slave status. I turn on the system and enter the Bios settings. Both drives again show detection so I pop in my bootable Win98 CD-Rom with both Partition Magic and Ghost on it.

The drive started to boot and took me the Last Known Configuration Menu and the Safe mode menu. Hmmm, that is odd, I did not think I would have this behavior.
I choose Last known configuration and the drive started to boot. Hmmm very odd. Then it froze. I thought yep just as I thought too good to be true. I power off the system and decided to boot to the cd-rom using the Bios boot menu to continue with Ghost. However, when I turn the system on it came up with the Windows XP startup menu. Hmmm very odd. I thought, hmmm what do I have to loss so I let it continue? No problem it came right up. I log into the Domain and test functionalit and it seems to be just fine

Okay I best Ghost this thing now so I did. Change the jumper back from Master to Cable select.

Drive not recognized? Hmmm verified I had the jumper on the correct pins with the slave drive removed verified cable connections. No boot. Dang. I then thought what if I set the jumper back to master and it worked fine.

At 4:00PM I handed the system back to the boss with all of his data, just as he had it with no problems. I also now have a Ghost backup of the drive just in case.

In the end very odd solution.

Did making the drive a slave and placing in another system help get around the disk read error?
Did Spybot fix the problem with the two errors it found and fix?
Does the cable select setting no-longer work for some odd reason on known Ghost image as well as original drive? The drive would not boot with the pins jumper for cable select.

Could all of this have been avoided by simply changing the jumper from the cable select option to master?

This is what I will do if I ever have this error again. Check the drive if it is configured for cable select (as most new system are) I will change the jumper and configure the drive as a master. I honestly think that was the solution but the cable select no-longer works for some reason on the Ghost image drive or the original drive. The Cable select option settings might need to have the cable plug in a certain way so perhaps that has nothing to do with the problem. If not then the problem returns back to one of the first two possibilities.

Whew Oh well problem resolved for now.

Nathan Pierce Nov 17, 2004, 07:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, I have the same error. I have tried to do a system recovery, which didn't work. Then I pulled my HD out of my machine and put it in another one. I was able to access everything. . . my files and info. I did a defrag on the HD and put in back in to my machine. It was working. Then i restarted and i got the error again. I don't want to have to go through all of that so hopefully some of this sound advice from previous post will help.

D S Nov 29, 2004, 08:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HELP! I am trying to recover many precious family pictures of my kids.

I have tried all of these things and I syill have the same problem. I took the drive to a friend that does IT stuff for a local college and he tried to work his wonders on the drive and he said he thought the board on the hard drive itself was bad. He said the only way to get the data off the drive was to find a working board for the same or similiar drive and swap it to my HD. He has done this many time and said it works well to recover data and you can even put the new board back on the donor unit and it will keep on trucking along.
So with all of that said I need your help finding a board for a:

Maxtor HD Drive
Model number 93073u6 Manuf date 3/3/00

Tim Mar Nov 29, 2004, 03:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 29, 2004, 03:05pm EST

Same thing happened with me when I reset and formatted my raid 0 array after some bad clusters (s.m.a.r.t. event was reported). Got the disk read error occured error after the first reboot on XP Pro installation. Chkdsk /r, fixboot, fixmbr didnt work for me but the conversion from NTFS to FAT32 using a bootable Partition Magic 8 Disc fixed it. So more sway that XP/NTFS might be the culprit, however it worked semi-fine before the incident.

Thanks for the help, as a low level format was avoided...Also the reinstall of windows on fat32 was like twice as fast than on ntfs, like under 10 minutes. I'm on RAID0 of two WD Raptors btw.

Paul Gardiner Dec 03, 2004, 05:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I'd just like to say that I too have been subject to the dreaded "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart".

I have a possible answer...

First time round I thought it was the hard drive (Maxtor 80Gb) itself. I tried another one of the same model and it happened twice on that one too. Prior to the second time round I ran the Maxtor Powermax util on the drive which reported no errors - surprise surprise. I also low level formatted it just for good measure.

Around the same time one of my friends was reporting a similar thing happening to him, also a Maxtor drive (160GB). The common factor was going from Windows XP Pro (with no SP) to using an SP2 version for the install. The first hard drive of mine, and also my friends hard drive had both been running XP(No SP) for quite a while with no problems, well not this one ;). My friend tried all the repair options but to no avail. He ended up taking the drive back and eventually got a replacement even though they tested it and reported no error! I'm yet to hear from him as to what the latest is. The other thing in common was, as reported by another sufferer, is that it only seemed to happen with a cold boot, say first thing in the morning or evening after it had been off for a while. I know it seems crazy but trust me, it's true.

The possibe solution ???
I noticed a lot of you suggesting loading default/safe values in the bios or even removing the battery for a while because of suspect activity with values being tampered with? I discovered that if I disabled "IDE Bus Mastering" in the bios then all seems to be well. If I enable it again I get the show stopper. Usually Bus Mastering is disabled when loading the bios defaults, which may explain why it seems to work for some of you. This seems to hold up for me at the moment (I'm using the machine to type this), but time will tell.

I have four main machines at home, with removable hard drives and different OS's - I'm an I.T. Manager afterall ;) They are two almost identical pairs. Interestingly, the other paired machine to this one with the problem runs perfectly OK with Bus Mastering on! The difference is that it is a Samsung drive. In the other machines there are Seagate, WD & IBM drives, again all with no problems. This is why I initially suspected just the Maxtor drives like some of you.

<linux plug>
I put Linux on one of the supposed failed Maxtor drives and no problems!!! I'm not really an M$ lover (no flames please) and use Linux for my work servers and have never looked backed. The only windows server left (and I use the term loosely) is forever going down or needing a restart for this or that. It's days are numbered!!! Interesting that the Western Digital Techie said the problem was only with Windows machines!
</linux plug>

Hardware: Asrock P4VT8+ with VIA VT8237 chipset, P4 3.2GHz Prescott, 1Gb DDR3200

I hope this helps someone or perhaps triggers a thought or two :)

Artur King Dec 25, 2004, 11:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Solution:
Iíve got also the message: A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart.
One form my Maxtor disk 30 GB was virtually inaccessible. It have had win 2000 on it. I couldnít start the operating system and I couldnít access the fist partition that (Iíve got 3 of them on that disk) had OS even when I boot computer from XP (which I have on another disk). Disk Management in ďAdministrative ToolsĒ couldnít check that partition popping (the others 2 were ok) up the massage that this partition is corrupt. I also couldnít recover any files using the Disk Commander.
Then I run form windows console the CHKDSK /r command and it fixed everything. Now I am writing this message using the previously corrupted (5 min ago) win 2000 OS.
Just want to say thanks guys for letting me know about the CHKDSK /r command. It worked for me God bless you for that. I have on the recovered partition win 2000, apache, mysql, mysqladmin, and all my work; it would take days (weeks) to restore everything. Thanks, thanks again for that CHKDSK /r command!!!!!

Alexander Splinter Dec 30, 2004, 01:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 30, 2004, 01:33am EST

Hi guys!
Here You are my modest two cents. I have not seen any EXPLANATION and SOLUTION in that thread, just a mystical workarounds :) And some of them sounds like: buy new PC, change job or wait a suitable star :D
Yes, i 'll prefer WORKAROUND too, BUT NOT explanation and solution of problem.

Let's go.

Problem of course doesn't concern HDD manufacturer or MBR or cable or who is president of USA :)
The ways to get it are multiply.

My way was a upgrading from Win XP SP1 to WinXP SP2 by installing (in upgrade mode) WinXP with integrated SP2 over existing Win XP SP1

Well. It's obviously, that the problem is in Win XP BOOT MANAGER (WBM further). Moreover i can guess already, that after some unknown OS/user actions WBM get a wrong information about HDD configuration so when WBM got a boot flow control from BIOS it can't access a drive et all !
I can guess also, that WBM can read HDD but just a some first X megabytes

* That's why fixboot and fixmbr and chkdsk /r doesn't help
* That's why from time to time defrag (that move files sometimes) can help.
* That's why loading bios default and changing busmastering also can help (but not always)
* That's why i can SUCCESSFULLY boot my correct Win XP copy using floppy (when WBM and ntldr and
boot.ini are all placed on floppy).

It's a first workaround (just format under Win XP a floppy disk and place on it correct boot.ini, Bootfont.bin, NTDETECT. COM, ntldr)

Here You are my second WORKAROUND.
Boot from any Win XP CD with or without SP1 (NOT SP2 !!! ) and install it into canalog that differs from Your working one. It repairs WBM (to be more exactly it gives WBM correct information about HDD)
By the way, You shouldn't wait the end of installation. After one of restarts (second as far as i remember) WBM info already repaired.

Please, clever guys, let me know if You got a FULLFILL EXPLANATION and SOLUTION.

Good luck.

joan blaze Jan 05, 2005, 10:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Has anyone tried taking out the hard drive and slaving it on another computer?

Alexander Splinter Jan 06, 2005, 11:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Or no! somebody must stop it!
Have somebody tried to vote for Papandopulos?!

J W Jan 06, 2005, 03:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm having the same error. It's a 4gb Seagate drive with XP SP1, when I put it into my old compaq machine, I get the error. But if i put it in this machine (NF7-S, 2500+) as a master, it boots no problem.

My CD-ROM wont boot from the compaq either though. Gives me a "operating system not found" error.

Any ideas?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.