Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1236 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 12 - 08:34pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>
Lee Rottenberg Jan 09, 2005, 01:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
Eversince installing software for a PCI USB 2.0 card, I have been having a multitude of problems with my computer. It is a homebuilt unit with a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard, AMD XP2600+ 333Mhz processor, and 1.25 gig of DDR 400 ram. I am using 3 hard drives, each master on its own IDE cable with the 4th channel going to a DVD and CDRW drives.

After installing the software, I rebooted and the computer hung up at 'verifying dmi pool data'. I tried flashing the newest bios, and repairing Win XP Home with no luck. Then, I decided to install a new 300 GB Seagate hard drive, then an old 40 GB Maxtor hard drive with the same problem-after the inital boot up and set up of Win XP, the computer is supposed to reboot and continue the set up. Instead, I get 'A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart'.

I am at a total loss as to what could be wrong. I can't get the old drive to work, and I can't install a new drive. All of this is being done with a single drive in the machine. By the way, the computer actually started once during the 2 weeks it has been down-with the original drive. Everything worked fine. Then, I set the computer up to do an 'error-check' that would occur during the next start-up. The error check ran, then the computer hung at the dmi message again and ever since.

Please help me!!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
David North Jan 10, 2005, 02:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 10, 2005, 02:43am EST

I know this might seem a stretch but...

Many of the issues here are specific and can be pinpointed but there are a number of "suddenly for no reaason after xp install" hard drive failures and I have a theory.

The Hardware Abstraction Layer (ominously acronymed "HAL" by Microsoft) allows--as I understand it--the XP OS to communicate with the motherboard of the PC.

I think Microsoft has an undocumented "experiment" going that is actually "marking" the bios of motherboards with small bits of information as a precursor to future antipiracy techniques. This is pretty much what a few nasty viruses do so it's not a new idea.

From experience and from many of these posts, I notice the biggest problems are with older machines, which would make sense.

Most newer computers have flash enabled and readily writable bios features while older machines are not as flexible in this area and have "less to mess with" anyway.

I think MS's experiment is corrupting bios's on occasion of older machines--which lines up with how windows bugs on different machines--they already got that down as an m.o.

Call me crazy but I'm so crazy I might just be right.

What say ye all? Could this be? Can anyone check this?

Costas S. Jan 10, 2005, 04:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I use to have the same problem alot on my older seagate 160gb hd. I basically got tired of it so I got a new Maxtor 250gb drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows on it later. Around 7 days ago after that, I started up my computer and it said "Disk Read Error" on the boot screen. I tried using a bootdisk to force my computer to boot up basically, and it tells me that hal.dll is missing or corrupted =\

This is driving me insane! I remember my computer worked just fine, and then I started having these problems when I got a newer motherboard from my brother. In a few weeks or so I'll be getting a new one. Hopefully that will take care of all my problems.

kamui shirow Jan 16, 2005, 04:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,

Seems i got an analog problem though happening with Windows 2000 ... Lemme explain the scheme:
Hard Drive : MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX PLUS 160G
1st Partition : Windows XP Sp2 Clean install FW no virus Up2date
2nd Partition : Windows 2000 SP4 up2date
3rd and 4th Partition : Data only

System config :
CPU : AMD Barton XP2600+
MB : ASUS A7N8X-X (n-Force2 Chipset)
DDR : 256 Meg Crucial Brand

It happened to me after leaving my system running more than 24 hours ...

Before all i had my system running on a single 30 Gig maxtor drive
Then i ghosted the whole thing with Ghost EE 8
Then to finished i did my clean install of Windows XP (previously 98 and 2000)

To fix it done a quick reinstall of Windows XP (to get back a clean MBR) ... It solved it for ..... 5 HOURS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So 5 hours later my MBR was gone again...

I usually let my XP system sleeping using the Win2k partition... and hell i can know when it happens coz BitDefender says my C Drive has error on it as i try to run stuff on it ...

Seems it's not a Virus Issue (BitDefender reported Clean ... doubled checked by installing on XP scanning 2K drive). It's not linked to using Windows XP (i was under Windows 2000 as it happened).
Also File System was secured by Bit Defender...
My next move will be boot virus protection activation on bios to protect mbr ..

Searching for hints on the net i falled on this forum ... I'm gonna try to change the IDE cable tho it's factory cable ATA66 ...

Hope somebody will find the real problem to answer it all :)

IT Man Jan 17, 2005, 03:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After 3 weeks of frustration similar to what most people posting to this issue are experiencing, I finally solved the issue.

Trust me when I say I tried just about everything that everyone here has tried. My frustration comes from the fact that I do this for a living and have never seen this happen before. I consulted with the best techs I know and no one had seen this outside of the common mbr issues that are easily fixed with many of the solutions that were posted here.

We swapped cable, memory, cpu, harddrives and tried reformatting and reinstalling from scratch. Like with everyone else, the issue returned.

The solution for me was a new intel motherboard. After doing this I was able to get a clean install of xp that was solid. After that I reinstalled my original boot drive with xp pro and my data and ran the repair install on the xp cd. It now boots fine with no problems. I was able to use all of my old hardware on this new motherboard.

You may want to take your pc into a service center just so they can tell you what mother board would be compatible with the hardware and cpu, memory etc, you currently have. Unless you want to go totally fresh with all new stuff. Keep in mind that if the hardware is too dissimilar in some cases, even after running an xp repair install it will not boot to your old harddrive. I would stick with the same brand mther board at least.

gota go... have 3 weeks of catching up to do.

raymond brooks Jan 17, 2005, 10:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi all, i have had this problem for a couple of days and finally got it worked out...

for those of us running into this problem using an older COMPAQ or other OEM built machines don't give up hope...

i just got xp up and running on this old Compaq 5000 series (5wv254) this is what happened to me....

i started out by formatting and repartitioning the harddrive after booting from my windowsxp disc... i got the first error a day ago after my first attempt to reboot after the Windows installation files had been copied and after "Your system will reboot in 15 seconds" message.

at first i was getting the NTLDR: Couldn't open the drive message... so i did a search for the error and found that many people with the older Compaqs were having this issue as well as the "a disk read error occurred" error. i tried going into the recovery console and repairing the installation serveral times only to be met by one of the two errors. so i would simply do another repartition, full format, etc... but kept getting the same errors.

i eventually started paying closer attention and saw my harddrive was being recognized as drive (1) instead of drive (0) after typing diskpart in the recovery console and in the system information in the Compaq bios... this was the problem after all. i played around with the ide cable - i had the drive on the end connector on a dual cable like it should have been but it was still showing up as drive (1). i even changed cables with the same result.

so i remembered a little trick and went inside the pc and unplugged the power cable but kept the ide cable connected and powered on the system. after this the drive changed from drive (1) to drive (0) on primary master. at this point i had already copied the files to the harddrive using the winxp cd for the fourth or fifth time. so i tried to just reboot since the drive was now showing up in the right place however, i then got a different error during setup "something like the drive may be damaged or something".

this wasn't good as i thought since everything was in its rightful place that setup should have run just fine. so now i'm thinking the drive was definitely bad as i had originally suspected anyways. instead of giving up i tried to repartition and reformat (full) one more time and this time i got past the a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart - it went straight to the blue setup screen!

so at those with the older compaqs don't give up too soon like we all consider doing after so much time with an older pc - i think there is something going on with the compaq bios that sets the drive to drive (1) instead of its proper place (drive 0) and this is the problem. just make sure you try a differnt ide cable > unplug the power with the ide cable still connected to the drive > the start the pc a couple of times > then shut down and plug the power connector back in > then go into bios and see where the drive is showing up. if its showing up on drive (0) you instead of drive (1) you now need to go through the whole repartition, reformat (full), and setup again with the drive in the correct position.

a couple of things as a side note....

1) there is an issue with the cdrom or more likely the ide controller (like someone else mentioned a little while ago) on these compaq oem machines. for some reason the internal cdrom dies and just stops during the copying of the setup files and you get random "unable to copy xxx.xxx file".

to fix this issue i connected an external cdrom and everything went very smoothly from there on in.

good luck to all and don't give up... read the whole thread and try different possible solutions AND POST YOUR RESULTS IF YOU GET SOMETHING FIXED... only forum trolls come in for solutions only and doesn't post their successful results to try and give back after finding a fix for their issues.

don't be a forum troll - take a few minutes and share the good fortune :)

raymond brooks Jan 17, 2005, 10:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi all, i have had this problem for a couple of days and finally got it worked out...

for those of us running into this problem using an older COMPAQ or other OEM built machines don't give up hope...

i just got xp up and running on this old Compaq 5000 series (5wv254) this is what happened to me....

i started out by formatting and repartitioning the harddrive after booting from my windowsxp disc... i got the first error a day ago after my first attempt to reboot after the Windows installation files had been copied and after "Your system will reboot in 15 seconds" message.

at first i was getting the NTLDR: Couldn't open the drive message... so i did a search for the error and found that many people with the older Compaqs were having this issue as well as the "a disk read error occurred" error. i tried going into the recovery console and repairing the installation serveral times only to be met by one of the two errors. so i would simply do another repartition, full format, etc... but kept getting the same errors.

i eventually started paying closer attention and saw my harddrive was being recognized as drive (1) instead of drive (0) after typing diskpart in the recovery console and in the system information in the Compaq bios... this was the problem after all. i played around with the ide cable - i had the drive on the end connector on a dual cable like it should have been but it was still showing up as drive (1). i even changed cables with the same result.

so i remembered a little trick and went inside the pc and unplugged the power cable but kept the ide cable connected and powered on the system. after this the drive changed from drive (1) to drive (0) on primary master. at this point i had already copied the files to the harddrive using the winxp cd for the fourth or fifth time. so i tried to just reboot since the drive was now showing up in the right place however, i then got a different error during setup "something like the drive may be damaged or something".

this wasn't good as i thought since everything was in its rightful place that setup should have run just fine. so now i'm thinking the drive was definitely bad as i had originally suspected anyways. instead of giving up i tried to repartition and reformat (full) one more time and this time i got past the a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart - it went straight to the blue setup screen!

so at those with the older compaqs don't give up too soon like we all consider doing after so much time with an older pc - i think there is something going on with the compaq bios that sets the drive to drive (1) instead of its proper place (drive 0) and this is the problem. just make sure you try a differnt ide cable > unplug the power with the ide cable still connected to the drive > the start the pc a couple of times > then shut down and plug the power connector back in > then go into bios and see where the drive is showing up. if its showing up on drive (0) you instead of drive (1) you now need to go through the whole repartition, reformat (full), and setup again with the drive in the correct position.

a couple of things as a side note....

1) there is an issue with the cdrom or more likely the ide controller (like someone else mentioned a little while ago) on these compaq oem machines. for some reason the internal cdrom dies and just stops during the copying of the setup files and you get random "unable to copy xxx.xxx file".

to fix this issue i connected an external cdrom and everything went very smoothly from there on in.

good luck to all and don't give up... read the whole thread and try different possible solutions AND POST YOUR RESULTS IF YOU GET SOMETHING FIXED... only forum trolls come in for solutions only and doesn't post their successful results to try and give back after finding a fix for their issues.

don't be a forum troll - take a few minutes and share the good fortune :)

Rick Chomiak Jan 18, 2005, 11:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry for not posting my solution earlier. I am the one who started this thread and am surprised at all the different solutions for the Win XP - A Disk Read Error. My successful solution was to remove my Maxter 80 GB hardrive and replace it with a new Maxter 160GB. I fresh installed WinXP on the new 160GB harddrive, formating to the NTSF file system, using the same WinXP install procedure, using all the same hardware. " Touch wood " I have not had the error reoccur. It have been running my system for about a year now and have WinXP SP2 installed. I was not sure of my success and decided to wait and see. I guess I waited too long to post my result. Sorry again, I think my error was related to the harddrive and installing WinXP.

Matthias Schneiders Jan 18, 2005, 12:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don'T KNOW; BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SOMETHING STUPID BUT I SOLVE THE PROBLEM IN AN OTHER WAY: i read all the post, because I had the same problem like every other here. Everytime I pressed CTRL ALT DEL , the message come back, but when I restart my computer manual, I could boot. I don't know if that would help you but that was my solution.

kamui shirow Jan 18, 2005, 07:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hell ... For all WINDOWS XP/2000 users ...
TRY THIS

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1
4. Quit Registry Editor.

Should work on XP SP1 and more , as for windows 2000 it's SP2 or more
Please feedback me on success,

jesse ***** Jan 19, 2005, 01:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
all,
great postings! my homebuilt (ASUS A7V133/athlon 900/Maxtor 8 GB, then WD 40 GB, then Maxtor 160Gb, then Seagate 60GB - even changed power supplies) began with many of the same issues beginning with diminishing performance.

unfortunately, this is yet ANOTHER workaround but found it to work and hope it helps others.

good news was that my hdds are found ALL ok when slaved to good system and massaged w/a little T&A from norton disk doc to fix prior errors. recommend a slave to a "stable" xp system and run the app.
i think the major issue is that much of the newest software is tested on only the newest of hardware tech - a practice that results in software outstripping the abilities of standard on-the-market hardware. this is somewhat like putting a hemi in a model t.
my fix:
1 - my hard drives were too big. after confirmation that drive is ok, low level format (fat32) and go with small partitions. don't fall victim to the idea that bigger is better. stop - think - be real. (i set my partitions to 4Gb.)
2 - load win 98se
3 - load your apps
4 - upgrade to more up-to-date o/s
5 - once you have an o/s that can support large drives, run partition magic (or other appropriate) to increase partition size
6 - have a beer

final analysis: expect this trend to continue until our model ts can be retrofitted to hemi specs.
good luck all and hang in there.
-jesse

kamui shirow Jan 19, 2005, 04:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For Asus users please check the page :
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/48bithdd/index.aspx

Also in the particular case of ASUS A7N8X-X
Bios 1007 seems to be dubious with 137Gb+ drives (even tho it displays well)
Update to new version 1010-X

Cheers,
Kshirow

kamui shirow Jan 19, 2005, 05:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Note For Fresh install on a 137Gb+ ...
----------------------------------------------------------

Do not use Windows 2000 SP1 or Windows XP ...
Use only 2000 SP4 and XP SP2 releases for a fresh install ...

How to do if you do not have an XP SP2 or 2000 SP4 install CD ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1- SlipStream Services pack to your actual Windows 2000 or XP to make an upgraded install CD
To do this please check http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/

2- Install to a smaller HDD, Upgrade to SP4/SP2, and ghost to your new drive
Look for Symantec Ghost to do that or PQ MAgic

Don't forget the reg tweaking i posted ...

How to see if either my bios or OS has problems with my ATA drive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Known limit to cause problem is 137Gb
If your Bios shows bad values, or shows good value at boot and bad at reboot, check for new bioses (worked for me with 1010-X revision A7N8X-X)
Also if it's not that obvious :
1-Create a partition in the last Gigs over 137 Gb.
2-Put a bunch of various data on it
3-Try a continuous write ... Like a bit torrent download or something for several hours
4-After a while data might become corrupted, MBR lost, or Read error on First Partition ... <----- That's the sign

I changed my motherboard to an intel and it solved it all ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obvious since new bioses are ok with this technology, get a new AMD Mobo will do the same

Changing my IDE Cable ?
--------------------------------------

Well a worn cable will not better the situation, a good one is a good start (but for me it wasn't the problem - having a better cable only delayed the bad effects of my BIOS+Windows system)

Only a system issue ?
---------------------------------

As you could see no, coz even Linux systems suffered (Bad bios)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Kshirow

Joshua ONeil Jan 24, 2005, 04:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the Disk Read Error too. I actually have someone else computer that I am trying to fix for him. It runs on XP home. When I enter the Recovery utility I only get a C:\ promt not what I am used to seeing. I don't choose the WINDOWS system that I want to work on. I have tried C:\chkdsk /r but I get an other error saying that there are one or more unrecoverable problems. I don't want to have to re-install XP. Anyone else have ideas. I tried fixboot and replacing the MBR before coming to this site. If it was the IDE I wouldn't have gotten this far would I?

kamui shirow Jan 26, 2005, 09:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What is your config ?
MB = ?
HDD = ?
OS previously installed ?
Partitionning and disk space ?

Joshua ONeil Jan 26, 2005, 10:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
IBM desktop, I am not sure of the exact MB config. P4 1.6ghz, 256mb ram. HD I think is 40gb. OS MS XPH.
I am reinstalling widows as I have found C:\WINDOWS doesn't exist anymore.

axar patel Jan 29, 2005, 01:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 29, 2005, 01:45pm EST

i have a same problem ... .. i have 2 hdd one maxtor 40 gb and one 200 gb western digital i can install windows on 40 gb maxton but not on 200 gb wd and i jsut install windows on 200 gb sp2 i had xp before. so it gave me error while installing some boot problem while installing sp2.. so i was lets.. use the 40 gb back up data and then format it and then re- try to reinstall...when i did re-install .. i success fully copied the filles as they do when u boot and do copy filles and then restart and the run the setup.. it wont run the setup it cucessfulyl coped and then when it restarted it gave me erro A disk cannot read alt+ crlT+ del to restart.. i am like i ma f********* so i formated it agian and try to re-install iut did not work i coped the filles but it did nto install it gave the error again so now i started the computer using 40 gb and then i slave my 200 gb so i wont in to my computer.. and click on my 200gb gave me mesage format yes/ no...... i am like i am really f******* now.. so now i used magic partion to see my hdd when i open it was saying 200gb is BAD .. so i did format from magic partion but it didn to format it was Error #4 Bad Argument/parameter and it said operation faileld..so i am like i am soo baddy f***** now so now i ma stuck here.. .help me go on plz....

tthanxxxx

Rory Witham Jan 29, 2005, 03:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK ......... This is the boot up probelm - I cant be asked to read all posts as there are quite a few, I may have wrote some time ago abot this issue and how to fix it.. I did write the whole thing down its more like disc read error when booting! or something like that.

Anyway, This is some sort of internet parasite. You will find that may Broadband enabled systems are having this issue. With the recent reliece to the publiic on the firewall being rubbish and allowing people to turn off the firewall remotly. This is still an issue with many AV and firewall systems, I believe that also the offending issue is also linked to this problem.

I encountered this problems last year, I found it was a issue that coldnt be located some thought had gone into the parasite as it didnt lie in the places where you would find it in a normal fashion.

For all those formatting - dont bother. for a "refesh MBR" pop in a boot disc, and type "Fdisk /fix mbr"
that all you can do there. typicaly this will not solve the issue.

The issue I assume resides in the motherboard chips and poss bios after having the issue once again I found that the setting in the bios were altered from their setting that I had placed.

The setting that were changes were linked to the SCSI and SATA controller which could be a possibliity of the intrusion of the parasite and would lead to the boot error if you have neiter of these problems.

Internet hacking is even more so, I think its up about 30% with wankers trying to use old trick to get on to mine, buffer over run dont work.. BTW . Repeat offeneder trying upto 8 times, still they get reported when they come knocking at my door, One even had there computer name on full display..

There is your issue, get a good Firewall, password protect your bios get some decent AV software or two. run dual layer firewalls and or a hardware firewall and for god sake change the default values.

use different IP's, domain, sub domains user names and password

recovery can be donw with reboots, do not let the system boot fully or to a certain point then reboot, I found that after 25 trys it some times boots.

there ya go.

Custom Computers: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/GT%20PERFORMANCE%20COMPUTERS/index.html
Computer maintenance: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer_maintenance/index.html
Computer repairs: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer-repairs/index.html
Rory Witham Jan 31, 2005, 08:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TYPCAL... JUST MY LUCK....

I replied to this subject, then I need to service my hardware (clean the dust up) so I shut down, gave it a good clean out, powered back up... and oh yes, reboot... A disk read error please install a system disc...

tried again, and again, and again.. installed another hard drive, booted fine, installed another OS worked fine, so its not a hard wear issue, partitioned the HDD installed two differn OS both worked fine.. I give up..

24 Hours later 30% of software installed and lost loads of stuff..

I even tried linux but I could get it to run with my hardware.

Custom Computers: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/GT%20PERFORMANCE%20COMPUTERS/index.html
Computer maintenance: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer_maintenance/index.html
Computer repairs: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer-repairs/index.html
James Swallow Feb 03, 2005, 11:52am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My daughter rang me saying that she was unable to get past a disk read error press control alt del.
She has a Dell Inspiron 2500. I was unable to use the supplied re installation cd for XP Home, nor a bought copy of the software. Neither were recognised. Happily the laptop has a floppy drive. I downloaded the six windows startup floppy disks from Microsoft and with them started the Reinstallation CD, tried a repair which revealed that the C drive could not be repaired after the first 25%. I reformated C drive and loaded XP home from the reinstallation cd without any problems. This has solved the problem.. One remains, what on earth did she do to the disk in the first place?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.