Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1256 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 07:24pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR - 0xC000000E code. (STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
See Ker Dec 29, 2004, 04:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR - 0xC000000E code. (STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE)
Just FYI, I never RMA stuff to the boneheads I buy it from. Try the maufacturer. And these guys are most obviously boneheads, what the hell do they care? They just RMA it off to their resller or manufaturer anyway.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Orange Juice Dec 29, 2004, 04:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, i thought this topic was dead for some time now,i have to tell ya, the problem disappeared completely since i got my new Seagate drive, running the same (stoopid, idiotic and crappy) OS from the same cd. The problem won't get solved i think , it'll still be "out there", no manufacturer will ever look into it, Microsoft or drive producer, it'll only take up time and money we all know they r not willing to spend.
That's just how the customer is treated, and forced to "consume". I can't blame entirely the hdd, and absolve the OS, i'm curious if you'll locate the source(s). Good luck

Pablo Ferrer Jan 03, 2005, 01:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have my new drive (160gb S-ATA Maxtor) and it's running perfectly. I had MemSucker running for days and the holy BSoD never appeared ;)
Thanx for your help, chris.. and everyone who posted at this topic which helped in a way to solve the problem. Happy new year!!! :D

chris Kleczynski Jan 03, 2005, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
EEEHEEEEM! Told you so.

;) ;)

Matti Kari Jan 12, 2005, 05:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 12, 2005, 06:21am EST

This has been most interesting, but I'm still suspicious.

My system (MSI 915P with P4 3GHz and Seagate S-ATA 200Gb, XP Home SP2) worked fine for many months until I installed HalfLife2 (thanks StClaus). After that it's been behaving just like Pablo's system. At first I was sure that Seagate is going to die, and because it's still under warranty, I bought a new one, the same S-ATA 200Gb (dreaming of upgrading to RAID after RMA). Using Migrate Easy I copied everything from the old disk to the new one and swapped the drives (new as master and old as slave). I must admit that I was a bit frustrated to notice that it didn't help at all. Then I also disconnected the old drive => no change.

Of course it is possible that:
1) I have two defective Seagate drives (never happend before, but still ... ?)
2) MSI 915P with VIA chipset don't like Seagte 200Gb
3) Problem is in XP (something corrupted, perhaps when installing/playing HalfLife2) and when I copied everything from old disk to new one, I also copied the problems ?

Personnally I believe in option no 3.

Pablo, did you do a fresh OS install when you started with your new drive ?

chris Kleczynski Jan 12, 2005, 08:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Actually in your case I'd actually tend to think #3. Chances are highly unlikely you got a bad drive, especially since it was retail and your 2nd one is new not a refurb like a warrenty drive for a system. Drive cloning software just does a bit for bit copy, so yes any software problem you had before will carry over.

If you didn't take/send the other drive back yet you have nothing to lose... reformat the new one and reinstall your Windows (recovery CD or fresh, whatever you got). And reinstall your game. I bet it will run fine now, then you know where to go from there unfortunately.

Orange Juice Jan 12, 2005, 03:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Me thinks it's rather an OS problem... It's very possible that SP2 causes that, some programs even show warnings about running on xp-SP2, saying they have a "compatibiliy issue". So..try what the other guy said, and please let us know 'bout it :) Oh and...see if the game manufacturer says something about running the game on sp2, maybe a patch'll fix it...(who knows..)
PS: You may have indeed 2 bad drives, but that's highly unlikely, in my oppinion.

Pablo Ferrer Jan 12, 2005, 05:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 12, 2005, 06:21pm EST

Matti Kari wrote:

"Pablo, did you do a fresh OS install when you started with your new drive ?"

Actually, I did.. but I also did that several times having my first drive and the problem persisted. In your case, I would totally discard option #2 -> since this is common hardware configuration and we would had heard about many people having the problem. Option #3 might be the reason, and obviusly the one you surely want it to be ;). Install a fresh copy of XP and see if that solves the problem.
Also, don't be too skeptic about option #1.. since it's possible that Seagate released a whole set of defective drives without detecting the failure. Good luck!

carlos mafla Feb 08, 2005, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks a lot to all the people who post in this topic. I Had this f**** error when i was trying to make a new fresh install of win XP , at some point i always get this annoying BSOD , the CPU has just one IDE cable for HD and CDROM so after reading this forum what i did was to buy another IDE cable and separate the HD and CDROM in differents IDEs.. and it works !... i hope this help someone else...

Carlos Mafla

Cameron Reid Feb 08, 2005, 05:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, I certainly believe the guy who said Half Life 2 could be the problem here. I got HL2 for christmas as well, my computer was running PEACHY before christmas, I installed hl2 on boxing day, and began playing, then next week, I started experiencing extreme lag, thought nothing of it, the next day I booted up, went to log on msn and I got the KERNAL DATA INPAGE ERROR almost instantly, then, I started it up, and chkdisk deleted a corrupted file and I was forced to install Windows again. I left hl2 uninstalled for about 5 days after windows was installed, and it was working fine, just installed HL2 again 2 days ago, and I am now getting the same error....so weird... I definitely believe HL2 is the aggressor

Siegfried Lancelot Feb 09, 2005, 11:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I encounter the same problem.

I have 2 harddisk: Seagate and Maxtor.
I set the Maxtor as the slave.
I have just the second one (Maxtor), and I install Warcraft Frozen Throne into the slave HD.
Then suddenly my screen became blue and I have to restart again.
After that,my computer is getting slower and slower.
I cannot even using bittorrent and google search (It is said that my computer or network maybe infected.

There are 3 possibilities:
1. The game makes the computer spoilt
2. The primary HD is spoilt
3. The secondary and new HD (where there is game inside) is spoilt

But option 3 is most unlikely since I have just bought it.

Can someone give any suggestion??

chris Kleczynski Feb 10, 2005, 09:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have to admit I had to look up "spoilt" to remind myself that was a real word. ;)

Well, let's review the facts... you are familiar with and use bittorrent... you just installed a game... you suspect your PC may be infected. Just a shot in the dark, but I'm curious where did you "aquire" this game? ;) First thing I would do, like the HL2 guys, is remove Warcraft. If the problem goes away right after that, well, problem solved. If it doesn't then it's either something else and a coincidense, or you really are infected with something, but in all honestly I'm not familiar with any virus that will cause hard drive I/O blue screens like this. The problem should be unilateral and should manifest with just a program or two. I think you have something else going on here, not the problem we're discussing.

Siegfried Lancelot Feb 10, 2005, 09:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No,I am thinking that maybe my primary HD is already spoilt before I install the warcraft.

However, maybe the one who triggers the error is the big application like Warcraft or Half Life 2.

Because I think even if my game is in the secondary HD,it will still affect the primary HD rite?

chris Kleczynski Feb 10, 2005, 01:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No, your PC ready data from one drive does not necessarily affect the other (and usually won't) at least for this kind of error.

If you think your primary drive is bad and you were having problems before Warcraft then what leads you to believe it's Warcraft? Yes just the fact you're running a big game means you're heavily hitting the page file which is most likely on your primary drive (unless you've changed that).

STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE is a physical hard drive error... if this is the error you are actually getting then you need to look in your event viewer and see which drive is causing this error... see if it's drive 0 or 1--with 0 of course being your primary and 1 the secondary.

Pablo Ferrer Feb 10, 2005, 02:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When I had the problem, the KDIE BSoD appeared whenever there was a hardware failure and the OS couldn't recover memory chuncks from the pagefile, leading to a system crash. In my particular case, the problem was the HD, but it could be the IDE/SATA cable or even the controller embedded on the motherboard. My modest opinion is that the problem with my HD was somewhere in the internal cache, since testing software couldn't detect anything on several passes and the problem was definitely the HD (everything worked fine when I changed it).
Maybe those games your believing to be the cause of the failure, are actually making the OS page a lot of memory and somewhere in the process the failure happens. I would advice you to try the little program i've written (the one I posted the code at this topic, even better if you try this with a fresh installation of 2000/XP). Run it and input double your ram (if you have 512, enter 1024). When pressing ENTER, the system will became very slow (because it's swapping RAM into and from the pagefile). Keep this program running for a couple of days and use your computer as usually. If the BSoD appears, then it's definitely a problem with your hardware. I've uploaded a compiled binary to a server. I added printing output data to this binary so you can see some phasing info while it's running. Here's the URL:

http://www.sebastien.com.ar/malloc.zip ( believe me, it's not a virus/spy/ad/etc. ;) )

chris Kleczynski Feb 10, 2005, 06:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yup, that sums it up pretty good. Pablo and I hashed all this out before... run his dealy and see what you get...then we'll go from there.

But also, like I said you need to look at your event viewer to determine WHICH drive is the culprit. And if the event viewer points to one drive over and over then it's definitely hardware and not memory or motherboard controller or something else. If you're not sure what you are looking for in the event viewer post again and I can help you with that via e-mails.

Francisco Maya Feb 15, 2005, 10:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I have this problem in a CPU from one of my clients. The configuration was: P4 2.8 HT - 512 RAM Kingston - HD IDE Seagate 60GB (As master on secondary IDE channel with 40 wire cable!) - HD S-ATA Seagate 80GB (On primary S-ATA channel) - CDRW on primary IDE Channel (as master with 80 wire cable). WinXP without any SP.

I only need to re-acommodate the wires to: HD 60Gb w/80 wire cable as master on IDE primary - CDRW w/40 wire cable as master on secondary IDE channel - HD 80Gb S-Ata on primary S-Ata channel.

Since then, no more BSOD and no more F4 on startup.

adam kadmon Feb 24, 2005, 02:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i am getting this message too, although it is interchangable with Stop: c000007b Unknown Hard Error.

If i get this message, on the next boot, the system will report a non system disk or disk error, but if i change the order of IDE cable, the system then loads as normal. I will generally get through 2 or three boot processes before it happens again, but this ad hoc process is about all that will fix it for me at present.

Would this suggest a problem with my drive, or with the IDE cable?

The strange thing is, I have just had another drive apparently go bung on this machine. Perhaps the other drive is not as broken as I once thought?

Pablo Mendes Mar 08, 2005, 08:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, this is very interesting!

IŽm having the same problem since I installed more memory. My dinossaur PC is AMD Athlon 800MHz, 128MB plus
new 128MB PC100 SDRAM, K7M Slot A Motherboard, running Windows XP Professional SP2.

If I take off the recently installed memory, it works fine again. If the problem is with virtual memory, shouldn't it
happen the inverse way?

What I have in common with others, beyond the BSoD: running ZoneAlarm, doesnŽt detect HD after BSoD and
spontaneous reboot. Boots when turned off and on again. I have just had another drive go bung on this machine.
HD is Maxtor. The old one was Seagate.

I'll run Pablo's hungry program and also change cables (one step at a time) to see what happens. IŽll keep you posted.

Pablo Ferrer Mar 08, 2005, 02:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would also recommend Memtest for testing memory modules:

http://www.memtest.org/

Good luck!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.