Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 820 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 21 - 02:18am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

A7V8X-LA(compaq model) drivers 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Ian Fischer Dec 18, 2010, 04:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A7V8X-LA(compaq model) drivers
I have a funny situation.
I'm a complete system admin newbie. I'm not an end-user. I know tech terms. that being said.

I have a Compaq SR1150nx. it's basically stock except I had to replace the hard drive. this issue has been going on for about a year now because It's my dad's computer, who is an end-user, and he lives far away from where I live, so I don't get to see him all the time.

here's the situation:
I have a retail version of Windows XP and a retail copy of XP home on 2 different hard drives the former is on a 320 gb Western Digital SATA II hard drive and the latter is on a 500 gb, IDE/PATA hard drive (think this one is also western digital. However, the motherboard and all components are OEM. From where should I get the chipset and other drivers? ASUS said to go to Compaq and Compaq won't support a 3rd party hard drive. I accidently launched the original one out of the case through the air and onto the hard tile floor when I was trying to clean the inside of the case. I didn't put my hands in the right places to take out the drive as this was my first attempt at removing this hard drive from this case. Needless to say the original hard drive broke and we had to take it to the USA to get it recovered. (Dad lives in KSA). Compaq wants me to pay a rediculous amount for a replacement hard drive that's an exact replica of the original drive 180 gb for double or triple what an 180 gb drive is worth these days. This is something I am unwilling to do. In order to get the computer working properly I have to know where to get the drivers, from the OEM, Compaq/HP or the manufacturer of the motherboard, ASUS? Am I going to hurt anything if i use the OEM drivers with a RETAIL copy of XP? I know that OEM operating systems are tweaked by the Original Equipment Manufacturer in this case, Compaq/HP. I don't want to put drivers that are going to hurt the motherboard or any of the components. please help. I don't want to screw this up for a second year in a row. thank you all so much for any help you can provide. Sincerely Desert_dweller5

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ken Eckman Aug 22, 2011, 12:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the SR1500nx model, running a retail version of XP Pro. It's running fine, but can't get the computer to recognize that I have a new SATA drive I'm trying to run as a secondary drive. It's driving me nuts. I updated the BIOS with HP's latest, but still no change. Anyone pulled this off?

Ian Fischer Aug 24, 2011, 11:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You must use SATA 1.5 Gb/s aka SATA I aka orginal SATA. Many drives today are SATA II wich means they can run at 3Gbps you have to have a place where you can jumper your SATA II drive into the slower SATA I When the board was released circa 2004 SATA II did not exist yet so the board wont recognize a drive with SATA II but SHOULD recognize a SATA I drive. if there is no way to jumper the SATA II drive back to SATA I then you may have to find a SATA I drive. In my opinion it may be more worth the time and money expended to just buy a new computer. That board is becoming more and more outdated by the day.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.