Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 3150 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 27 - 02:12am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Overclocking /

wtf do multipliers do? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
1 Feb 01, 2004, 01:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: wtf do multipliers do?
someones needs to show him harris waltkins post on proper cpu burn in before he kills any potential this chip might have:-).....harris you reading this???

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael C Feb 01, 2004, 02:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
so if i have the fsb at 200 and the multiplier to 11.5 it should run at 2300mhz? when i do that it says it only runs a 2200mhz. is it supposed to tell you, or does it run at that and doesn't show you lol.

Michael C Feb 01, 2004, 02:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just found out something(lol). when i change the multiplier to anything below or above 11x it doesnt change. does this mean its locked? but i didn't think so because i can choose from 5x to 23x, it just doesn't use it when i select it? what does this mean?

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Feb 01, 2004, 04:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sandra 2004 has a Burn in Utility, Thats what i need to use in next system, but not when its freshly built, ill run it for a couple days stock then run the burn in, i dont know how long it takes for thermal compound to fully set,

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
1 Feb 04, 2004, 01:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
dude, I hate to break it to ya but its not that easy.....unless your up for a one night stand? You should break your stuff in and 3 fsb per hour reccommended but i ussually exceed that. That means that you should run a cpu burn in program of your choice for one hour (toast 2 Is my rec.). This wil;l assure you that you have no freak occurances and total stability. Make sure thast you have ample cooling not onlyu for the cpu but for the mosfets and caps on the mobo as well if you plan to go extreme. If your cooling is not adaquate then you may find yourself going with a lower multiplyer to compensate for the higher fsb...accept it or move up in the world of cooling but dont push it too far on air. Alotr of people will tell you that you can reach "such and such" a speed on air....well, who cares...cause on air you risk too much for too little a reward.
Research as much as you can and dont believe any one remark as many remarks often make the truth:-)

SurrealBeingX <> Feb 04, 2004, 05:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> question
mosfets??? caps?? what are these..

larrym kklm Feb 04, 2004, 12:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
that means your multiplier was locked by AMD.

Michael C Feb 04, 2004, 04:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my cpu is locked then? even if i can select the multiplier? i thought it would be greyed out or something. btw, DAMNIT!!!

1 Feb 04, 2004, 06:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
mosfets and caps- power regulation and conditioning for the voltage lines feeding various regions of the board and cpu. As you raise your voltages to the cpu,vdimm,vdd,and vbt then the corresponding mosfets and capacitors will have to do more work. You are basically drawing more through them then they are rated for. Just as you have to add cooling to your cpu to maintain its efficiency you must also add cooling to the various other points like these on the motherboard. My 8rga has an overvoltage protection mod which in turn heats up the voltage regulation chip on the board...to combat this I have arctic silver adhearing copper heatsinks to the vreg and all mosfets. Then I cool them with various sunon 50cfm fans bracketed in such away that there is direct cooling.
Even still running at extreme voltages (above 2v) will often cause discoloration of coils in the cpu's voltage line. This is why the ic7max3 has the otes cage over the mosfets and beefened up caps as well as heatsinks already placed on the mosfets and vreg. For an easy amd solution though you can get the northpole from microcool as seen here:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/northpole/
That simply assures you that you have a few more bases covered before you start cussing out your cpu or ram for not handling an overclock of a certain magnitude.

1 Feb 04, 2004, 06:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
oh and yeah.....it sounds like you need to unlike the cpu....if its not a newer one and its possible.

Gray Mole Feb 04, 2004, 06:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
many replies = what little truth you can squeeze out of it...

that's a nifty trick that northpole...might have to get one someday...

i've got an aopen like the test board they used in that article and i've never found the heat to be a problem on the northie...though all the board supports is 1.85v so it's not like i can put it through any real paces. their passive cooler on the aopens is alum. but it's enormous and with 65cfm coming through the cooler right next to it i don't know if i need any more...

that's a point about burning in your cpu...

do you think a cpu can be slowly trained to accept higher fsb's?

sound's a bit sketchy...but i'm no electronic engineer...

and yeah...all amd's are locked now except the fx-51 (drool)

and the new locked bartons are a nightmare to unlock...someone found a workaround where you mod the chip for smp and use a software solution to allow higher multi's...but i'd be dubious...and that pin mod from ocinside is how my last 2800xp went into the bin....
but 2.5 ghz isn't bad...

Gray

CPU: AMD XP2800+ Barton @ 198fsb 12.5x multiplier 2482 mhz 1.85vcore
Swiftek 462 with delta 65cfm noisemaker - 31c case and 30c cpu 41c loaded 45c maxload
Sunbeam hose kit for external air to the cpu(BIG difference)
MOBO: AOPEN AK79D--400VN Dual channel (1.85v is the limit on this board.)
GFX: NVIDIA 5600XT 256
RAM: 2 X 512 pc2700 (need 3200) budget branded 1:1 5-3-3-2.5
HD: 80g 7200RPM ATA133
PSU: 400 watt

I change my hardware so often I can hardly keep track anymore...

Currently X2 4800, 1 gig Redline, X850, Dfi Mobo, etc. which may or may not be current at time of posting...

I do Phase :D
mike j Feb 04, 2004, 08:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i would go to http://www.newegg.com... looks as if xoxide.com is charging an arm and a leg in comparison for most of their cooling stuff.. i also noticed a featured case "Xoxide Storm w/ Side + Top Window (Blue)" http://xoxide.com/xostwsitopwi1.html which is what i just recently purchased, and it's a raidmax case...http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-1...amp;depa=1 $45 at Newegg vs $59.99 (sale) at xioxide.com... anywho... just tryin to save you a penny :)

1 Feb 04, 2004, 09:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm talking more in the realm of 2v and above :-) though I would reccomend it for 1.9 and above. These arent really tricks but more of well known and excepted facts in the extreme overclocking world. If someone wants to simply overclock once in a while for some benchies then it wont neccesarily benifit them but if you plan to run a heavily oc'ed machine long term then thats all a must for stability.

Michael C Feb 04, 2004, 10:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was told my chip was unlocked. I can select everything, so why the hell dont it work? that doesn't make sence to me.

1 Feb 05, 2004, 12:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
one idea....not likely but it happened to me. On my 8rga with 2800+ if you enable spread spectrum then any multiplyer settings will default to stock as I reboot. Disabling spreadspectrum was the fix but I have never run into another board with that problem and I have had 6 nforce 2's of various brands and revisions over the past year....doesnt make sense but they could be why you cant find this board anymore:-) give it a try ya never know.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Feb 05, 2004, 02:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
so sir what are u doing with that P4 System?

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
1 Feb 05, 2004, 10:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
DVD editing and trying to train myself to play games on it out of spite for AMD's new found BIG HEAD! I realize posting this welcomes SuperXp the spammer:-)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.