Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1179 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 10:28pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT..... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
alexis IDK Aug 15, 2009, 06:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Aug 15, 2009, 06:10pm EDT

>> Re: WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT.....
umm I need help...I was playing my comp then for some reason it just restarted, after that it said the error file missing or corupt etc etc...Okay, anyways its worked fine for the year I've had it, I got it from my uncle because he was getting a new computer. I do not have the startup disks and do not know which type of computer it is. All I know is that its a microstar. If anyone could help me I would be SOOOO greatful. =S You can also E-Mail me at Elesis@live.com that would be way easier, that's also my MSN.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
colin wilson Aug 18, 2009, 03:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT.....
I have just had this problem on a packard bell, pentium 4 1.6GHz. using windows XP home edition. I can honestly say i nearly crapped myself at the thought of losing hard work ;) The problem was caused by removing and replacing RAM &/or removing the processor fan to give it a spring clean, i think??
So i was thinking, i would have to get an expert to save the contents of the hard disk as the recovery diskette would delete all my work. Next i pressed F2 on startup and took a browse to see language i don't understand, so ESC from that one.
Finally, stupidly or not I pressed F12 for a network boot and hey presto, everything as it was!!Took longer than normal and a few anxious minutes....now for a wee scotch :)

<a class= Aug 18, 2009, 04:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The title of this post reminded me of this:

http://tinyurl.com/ywu7jk

wei jian Aug 20, 2009, 10:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did the copy and paste thing and it worked I'm now able to go into Windows, but none of the application work anymore.

I constantly get the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."

What should I do to correct this issue?

Thanks

<a class= Aug 20, 2009, 01:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try making another account for computer administrator, login using it and see if you get same issues. When replacing all those file, looks like your permissions are all screwed up because those files belonged to someone else.

colin wilson Aug 22, 2009, 11:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I backed up my work when i got it on, turned it off. Next morning it was doing the same again, went inside to find the hard drive was covered in dust and not connected properly. It's been working solid since, so don't forget to check the connections and remove dust!!

hala akram Oct 08, 2009, 11:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hello Andy,
Can I do these steps without the recovery CD and with the recovery console on drive D: ?

Thank you

shahjees shah Jan 09, 2010, 12:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i cant even enter c:\windows directory from the recovery console,
so runned chkdsk from recovery console and it solved the problem.

cheers..

Fion Tan Jan 11, 2010, 08:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have following through the steps that you have mentioned but cannot solved still...!!!

Any other quick solution for this issue?

zac johnson Mar 07, 2010, 01:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi my hp mini 110 has the same problem , but the thing is i have splashtop on my computer that how im able to use it . i cant use a disk so o recover my windows xp because there is no insert for disks. what can i do>?

Theresa Haigh Apr 30, 2011, 03:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello there,

I received the same windows system32 config error. I found these same instructions on microsoft support. When I enter the file copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak. The PC returns *This file could not be copied.* Anyone have any suggestion on what to do here? Much appreciated.

Theresa

scorpio .... May 05, 2012, 10:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>>  WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT.....
guys...am also having same problem....windows\system32\config\system file missing...
In the recovery consloe it asked which installation you want to login..then i pressed 1(only one installtion i have)....its not responding......do you have any other solution for this..plzz help me..am tired

scorpio .... May 05, 2012, 10:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>>  WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT.....
guys...am also having same problem....windows\system32\config\system file missing...
In the recovery consloe it asked which installation you want to login..then i pressed 1(only one installtion i have)....its not responding......do you have any other solution for this..plzz help me..am tired

Emrys Honjo Jul 12, 2012, 05:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
May i know how to type the following in Dos command since can't log to window?

c:\windows\system32\config\system (to c:\windows\tmp\system.bak)
c:\windows\system32\config\software (to c:\windows\tmp\software.bak)
c:\windows\system32\config\sam (to c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak)
c:\windows\system32\config\security (to c:\windows\tmp\security.bak)
c:\windows\system32\config\default (to c:\windows\tmp\default.bak)

Kevin Lai Dec 28, 2012, 12:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, I have the same problem right now. As I was reading, you all said to boot from the original windows cd, I put my cd in to boot, but it doesnt boot at all. I will not run. Is there any way to change that? I went into BIOS to change the settings so it could boot, but it still wouldnt boot at all.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.