Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 994 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 09:18pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Delayed Write Failed / Error - FINALLY SORTED OUT! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Andy Wright Dec 29, 2006, 12:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Delayed Write Failed / Error - FINALLY SORTED OUT!
hey!

i got the recently lovely privilege of joining the ranks of having a dWf error with my new USB maxtor drive i bought from PCWorld (xmas offer, £70 for 320gb harddrive)

anyway, just so you know im running w2k with all the SP's and drivers etc. I dont have ATI video (gave up on them ages ago when they wouldn't replace a faulty card only a few days out of warranty - probably asking too much, but hey you can only ask!).

my system amd athlon 1.2ghz chip has an 80gb hard drive i have separated into partitions (long story) c to j. the new drive is T:\ - fantastic. my system is still 1.1 but allegedly the HDD is backward compatible.

apart from dwf errors, the pc does not boot (it does not get past a corrupted bios post screen) and i need to unplug it to get my pc back; there doesn't seem to be any other system problems.

i tried setting the pagefile as suggested and had limited success with copying files, until the BSOD (kernal stack) ....

i have a second almost identical pc with xp pro (i use it for games) and set the USB HDD to be a shared network drive; fantastic, copied files over no problem, except for the exact same booting problem.

the largesystemcache setting is 0....

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Byron Nichols May 02, 2007, 10:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 10:50pm EDT

Alright, now ive kinda skimmed through this posting to see if anyone had the same problem as mine. But really they all kinda sound the same. So hear we go with my problem. I recently purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3400833AS 400GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s, got it about 2 weeks ago in the mail. For these past 2 weeks its been working fine. Today i tried to install the catalyst software for my 9800xt, but when id try to install it would say cant install because you need to update .Net Framework 2.0. When i exited out of the message saying to install the new version of framework, it would actually install the catalyst software, but when i would restart it would give me an error saying it couldnt run it. So I uninstalled the catalyst software, installed the .Net framework 2.0 beta and then reinstalled the catalyst software only now when it installed it says that i need version 2.0.57947. "Mind you that i have nothing on this sata drive but music" So im like wtf, i jus say screw it and uninstall the 2.0 beta and the catalyst software and then restart. And then bam the harddrive starts clicking and beeping, computer starts lagging and in event viewer its saying, An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation. Also its saying {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

So yeaaaa any help? If you need more Info then what ive given ya let me know. Thx

Wayne Szalinski May 25, 2007, 07:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 15, 2007, 01:23pm EDT

It seems to me that nobody has solved the actual problem that is causing this error on many pcs today. I for one have never had this problem with any pc in the past. I have had a Dell Dimension 4600 for about 5-6 years and I have never got this delayed write failed message.
Only since I have bought a new Dell Dimension E521 I noticed this pop up a few times, only when I am using my external Lacie. I used the Lacie on the 4600 for ages beforehand and never had any problems!
This leads me to believe that the write failure is due to a bug in windows, only because it is lacking in compliance with all the latest [dell] pcs which are emerging with integrated HD audio and USB ports, and are primarily distributed with the new vista os. I don't want to point the finger, but if only microsoft would get windows xp working properly with the latest computers, and then move onto vista, the delayed write error would probably be solved.
I also don't get why there is no actual download for the windows update that allegedly solves this delayed write failure in windows xp sp2? But maybe it's not microsoft's problem; it might be that Dell are trying to cut so many corners (technically speaking), the end user is left with a bunch of hybrid pcs which require software that microsoft could never envision.
A lot of people seem to be mentioning the problem only happens with external hard drives, and this is the same for me, but I have an Nvidia graphics card. And I don't understand what a graphics card would have to do with usb transfer errors; could somebody explain this to me?

Finally, I know this applies to me but where is the download for the update??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908673

EDIT: I have solved the problem! I simply discarded with an oldish USB cable I had been using for ages, even on other external drives, and the problem vanished! Faulty old cable, who would have thought...? :)

Larry Parker Jun 21, 2007, 01:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 21, 2007, 01:07am EDT

I have been using Windows XP Pro for 7 mos. Recently I upgraded my ram memory from
one to two gigs. Afterwards, I began to see the Delayed Write error message. After several
clean re-installs of Windows XP, I was quite frustrated. I really thought extra memory was
a plus to my system and could not cause any problems. I went to Microsoft Support and tried almost every option to remove this error. Finally, there was one option that I had over-looked ...... removing that extra gig of memory. Bingo !!! Error message gone !!
I have tried to reproduce this error with normal use...... Nothing. Maybe, this only applies to Windows XP ? (not sure) I know there are other options, depending on your hardware and
software, But ....this worked for me.
I hope this will help someone.

billy bob Aug 15, 2007, 04:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

billy bob Aug 15, 2007, 04:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Problem seems like it could come from many differnt things. I recently got the problem on my slave drive which i move around large amounts of files all the time, i havent changed any hardware or software in a long time and have had this computer for a few years, its a Alienware with xp btw. So placing the blame on one thing like windows or Dell isnt very fair or helpful, since the problem can come from many differnt sources.

rod mcmonk Sep 15, 2007, 01:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 15, 2007, 01:16pm EDT

OMG! i have been wrestling wi this problem for the longest time. i actually went out and bought a new hard drive and reimaged from a backup i made before the infinite delayed write errors occurred, only to have the errors happening again a day later! can't believe it was this simple t fix!!!! would have saved me a lotta heart break, time, and money...

thanks so much for your posts on the LargeSystemCache, Rhialto!!!!

Rob Dean Oct 07, 2007, 06:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My specific problem, Delayed Write Failed to the MFT was appearing when making heavy use of a USB 2 connected drive. In this case, applying the hotfix from Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918005 on top of a Windows XP SP2 installation has so far immediately and completely resolved the issue. This was the latest hotfix I could find on the Microsoft web site that updated the USB drivers (which are implicated in a variety of forums as the likely culprits in this scenario). Since applying the fix my backups run completely and I have transferred multiple gigabytes of files onto and between the drives. FWIW, I had the problem appear with a 250Gb Lacie (Western Digital) drive and a 500Gb Iomega (Seagate) drive, both connected directly to the USB ports on a Dell D620.

Mike Balboa Oct 17, 2007, 02:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thinkpad R51, Seagate FreeAgent 250gb. WinXP SP2. Windows has finally created a specific hotfix for this problem that fixed my "Delayed Write Failure" file transfer error nightmare. Page is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908673 You need to request and reference the issue/platform. They will then send you the file + password. It seems to slow down transfers, but is well worthwhile to prevent files/drive disappearing.

Paulus Stronzimus Nov 04, 2007, 02:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found this topic through Google, and thought I would add my 2 cents. I haven't read all the posts (there are so many!) so I apologize if I am repeating something that someone else already said, but just in case...

I had the same issue with my seagate barracuda 320g hd and was seriously considering getting the data recovered. I was at the point where my system would crash a few minutes after startup; I took the drive out & plugged it in via USB enclosure - I could not burn files to disk or even copy from the drive to another drive. The transfer activity would invariably freeze and I would have to turn the drive off and reboot. Finally, I tried installing it as a slave, ran chkdsk, disabled cache writing to the disk, and ... was able to transfer all Crucial data to the replacement HD. The HD is still running, so it almost looks like I got lucky or found a different solution.

fyi my registry settings are 0 for the largecache on ATI device and all other settings as discussed on MS website were ok.

I also ran SMART. Here is a a copy of the results.

[[[ C:\>smart.exe g:
SMART & Simple for Windows NT/2000/XP V1.01
Copyright 2001-2003 Craig.Peacock@beyondlogic.org
Opened Drive \\.\g: . .

SMART Enabled : Yes
Model Number : ST3320620A
Firmware Version : 3.AAE
Serial Number : 5QF44NJP
Drive Size : 137.438 GB

ID Attribute Type Threshold Value Worst Raw Status
---- -------------------------- ----- --------- ----- ----- ---------- --------
[01] Raw Read Error Rate Prefailure 6 117 90 131809790 OK
[03] Spin Up Time Prefailure 0 96 95 0 OK
[04] Start/Stop Count Advisory 20 100 100 304 OK
[05] Reallocated Sector Count Prefailure 36 100 100 0 OK
[07] Seek Error Rate Prefailure 30 63 60 34777338 OK
[09] Power On Hours Count Advisory 0 99 99 1254 OK
[0A] Spin Retry Count Prefailure 97 100 100 0 OK
[0C] Power Cycle Count Advisory 20 100 100 287 OK
[BB] Unknown SMART Attribute Advisory 0 100 100 0 OK
[BD] Unknown SMART Attribute Advisory 0 100 100 0 OK
[BE] Unknown SMART Attribute Advisory 45 65 44 589234211 OK
[C2] Drive Temperature Advisory 0 35 56 35 OK
[C3] ECC Corrected Count Advisory 0 85 61 204486553 OK
[C5] Pending Sector Count Advisory 0 100 100 0 OK
[C6] UnCorrectable Sector Count Advisory 0 100 100 0 OK
[C7] CRC Error Count Advisory 0 200 200 1 OK
[C8] Write Error Rate Advisory 0 100 253 0 OK
[CA] Unknown SMART Attribute Advisory 0 100 253 0 OK ]]]

Cheers

akm Nov 21, 2007, 10:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dont know if its a solution from a 'global' perspective (not a pc geek), but so far the following solution has worked for my Dell D830 and the 'Delayed Write Failed' problem... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174
Now if I could just get it (the D830) to 'recognize' (will 'recognize' when connect usb, but when restart it is gone from 'my-puter' ?) the Seagate 500gb ext hd Id be happy.
Thoughts ?

Thanks again for your help.
akm
----
"Ah, the miracle of computers!"... someone also said "to error is human, but to really screw up takes a computer!"
akm Nov 24, 2007, 12:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
akm said:
Dont know if its a solution from a 'global' perspective (not a pc geek), but so far the following solution has worked for my Dell D830 and the 'Delayed Write Failed' problem... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

Oooops, spoke too soon !
Re-connected USB Seagate-500gb HD (SHD) and tried copying from USB Maxtor-200gb
HD (MHD) and got DWF error message for the SHD.
Also, after got DWF error message and 'looked' at the SHD with Explorer, all of
the 1st tier folders appeared empty, but then when rebooted the HD (power off
and then on) the subfolders and files are shown.
Havent had the problem with the MHD, so maybe its something to do with size of
HD ?
May need to try the 'advanced' resolution at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174 (and
why is it with this new D830 laptop instead of my older 8200) ?

Thanks again for your help.
akm
----
"Ah, the miracle of computers!"... someone also said "to error is human, but to really screw up takes a computer!"
Damien Olley Nov 25, 2007, 08:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Thomas Anselmo Nov 30, 2007, 05:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After trying just about everything, the problem turned out to be Norton Internet Security on the server. It was interpreting certain file activity as an attack, and killing the network connection, which caused the client computer to get a Delayed Write Failed error. Once I disabled everything on Norton Internet Security on the server, the problem went away. I did contact Norton Chat and discussed this with them, but they wouldn't believe it. They just told me that Norton Internet Security doesn't do that. What was particularly annoying is that when Norton disconnected the network, it didn't say that it was doing that, nor did it log it. FIVE times I turned Norton off and the problems went away. FIVE times I turned Norton on and the problem came back.

For a more detailed writeup of every registry change and thing that I tried, go to my website page http://www.panoramiccomputing.com/TomAnselmo/Computing/YouNeverWrite.htm

Tom Anselmo

RAJEEV VASU Dec 16, 2007, 09:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also did experience this problem after a clean install of XP.This message began appear everytime I started the front end of an MS Access Application( Back end is placed on another computer on the network).I ,however, observed that the data updated successfully to the back end.There was no damage of any sort.I further observed that the same message appeared whenever I started a Dbase4 application installed on the same partition(last extended partition).I investigated this problem by copying and moving one test file from other partition to this partition.There was no problem.When I tried to copy the test file back to its original partition the message began to appear continuously,but the file copied successfully.I moved everything from the problematic partition to other partition, though there were continous messages, everything went smooth except one Dbase file damaged.Luckly,I had backup.I formatted the partition (not the quick partition this time) and re-installed the applications.The problem gone forever.While installing windows in a hurry I quick formated the drive.I,suppose,something went wrong while quick formatting.

Rob Dean Jan 02, 2008, 02:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Since my last post on this topic, I've had to reinstall XP on the same machine and the DWF has come back on any significant write activity (I've successfully transferred multiple multi-gigabyte files off the drive without a problem). Although trying the original steps I'd found to clear the problem, I can't get rid of this on my Lacie drive (internal a WDC drive). So I've clearly under documented what I had on my old setup.

However, I have tried the following:

- Same drive on same D620 with different USB cables including an expensive hi-speed one: has no effect on the occurrence of the DWF.
- Same drive on different USB ports and on a USB-connected USB 2/HiSpeed hub: has no effect
- Same drive, same cable on a Dell D600 running SUSE 10.3 to same NTFS file system through the ntfs-3g file driver: no problems appearing, drive works normally for read and write

I've also acquired the Iomega 500Gb drive (internal a Seagate) which does not show the DWF problem anywhere near as much (very occasionally whereas with the Lacie it appears almost immediately).

All this leads me to suspect the drivers being used on Windows at some level (whether generic USB mass storage or something specific to the Lacie drive), since switching the hardware to Linux gives me a perfectly usable drive. I'll probably try some of the other hotfixes listed here, but right now, if I could dump Windows, I would.

Cat Blue Jan 11, 2008, 11:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello and Happy New Year everyone! My experience with DWF started when I connected an external hard drive, a 500GB Western Digital My Book Premium, to my computer via USB 2.0 cable. At first, everything was fine. I used the hard drive mainly as a back-up for my main computer. However, the main computer is an old model (a Dell Optiplex GX240) and it only had about 20GB of memory. My iTunes folder alone was taking up the majority of that memory, so I finally moved all photos and the iTunes folder over to the external drive. That is when my problems began. One evening I tried to download a free TV show from iTunes and the Delayed Write Failed error message appeared. After an exhaustive Google Search on the issue, I found this work around:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
3. In the details pane, right-click the SystemPages value, and then click Modify.
4. In the Value data box, type the following value, and then click OK:
FFFFFFFF
5. Exit Registry Editor.

What happened next is that my external hard drive (E:\ in my case) disappeared from My Computer and Device Manager. At first I was a bit panicked, thinking I had lost all my pictures and music, but I calmed down and did the computer “magic fix.” That is, I turned it off and on a couple of times, disconnected and reconnected the hard drive and voila, my external drive finally reappeared in My Computer and Device Manager. Whew! All the files in the external drive were there and I have since been able to access them just fine without the DWF error.

However, there is a new twist, and this is what I need help with. I do not get the DWF error anymore, but now the transfer rate to download files is INCREDIBLY S-L-O-W. How slow? A 45 minute TV show on iTunes, takes an HOUR to download! It is like my formerly fast USB 2.0 is now acting like a USB 1.0. Has anyone experienced this? I am thrilled to have gotten rid of the error, but these slow downloads are crazy-making.

garry coyle Mar 13, 2008, 02:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HELP. I mean HHEELLPP.
My sister bought this Dell latitude d 600 from ebay.Boy did she get robbed. After trying to get a refund or help all failed,so i said ,seeing as she is struck with this DOOR STOPPER,id give it a go. Well it was sure screwed up but after an format,clean,and re installation of registered windows xp pro-sp2-.Wow all was fine. Then i went to the Dell website for drivers/downloads and again i was shocked to see such a performance.
Then it all started downhill.
I am getting delayed write all the time to a point where i rebooted and it said no os
blah blah and i reinstalled the xp again Now it was running for like 12 hours and i was thrilled.I started to install some programs like norton,limewire, nero seven and it waas fine.Then i went to upgrade ie6 to ie 7 and media player 11 and BANG Bang, delayed write errors all over again.
My problem is my hands n fingers are so. hehehe.
Please anyone out there with a sense of humour and a little knowledge,help out this ol man,please.

Ken Wilkins Apr 07, 2008, 09:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This MS KB talks about AGP video and UMA considerations.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895932

As far as not being able to boot, check out Bart PE. Do a search. It's great.

boethos

Mick Seymour May 30, 2008, 04:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Mouse?
This thread has literally been going on for years and is causing us all real headaches. However, I think I've found the reason for my specific problem after reading it in it's entirety and following every piece of advice and link posted in it, although the answer came from what was not there rather than what was.

To cut a long story short, I recently bought a Microsoft wireless optical USB mouse to replace a wireless PS2 mouse. That had to be returned within a week as the scroll wheel stopped working. I exchanged it for a Logitech LX5 wireless optical USB mouse because the shop didn't have the MS mouse any more. It appears that, at least from the rough timing of the start of the problem, the Logitech mouse on USB is the culprit. I removed it from the USB yesterday and attached it to the PS2 port with the supplied adaptor and my Norton backup to the LaCie worked last night for the first time in ages. Only time will tell if this is the real fix for my specific delayed write failures.

Why did I suspect the mouse? One of the links to an MS support page said there was a hotfix for a problem but that fix did not fix the following:

The USB host controller uses the periodic scheduler for USB 2.0 devices.

This typically occurs when devices that rely on the periodic scheduler are attached to the host controller. These may be isochronous (Isoch) devices such as audio devices. Or, they may be interrupt devices such as mouse or keyboard. This problem is not fixed by installing the download that is available in this article.

So, obviously a known problem but no answer from MS.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.