Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1174 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 09:58am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Delayed Write Failed / Error - FINALLY SORTED OUT! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Nathan B May 11, 2004, 10:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Delayed Write Failed / Error - FINALLY SORTED OUT!
I highly reccomend Ibm deskstar hdd's. I've been running 4 of them, and i have had less problems with those than i have had with my Seagate 160 gig Barracuda. I bought it at best buy originally cuz it was real cheap so i thought......heck why not. I brought it home, and started filling it up, and in a matter of 3 months or less the hard drive started giving me errors like DELAYED WRITE FAILED in $mft file couldn't be saved etc. After that message I began looking for a way to recover my data off the drive, cuz it was over 100 gigs filled, and i needed the files. So i ended up throwing my HDD in the FREEZER for a while lol sounds crazy, but it actually worked. If you're wondering about condensation....it's not much of a problem if u tripple bag it or something, and use some ziplocs or a anti static bag. I had to throw it in the freezer quite a few times to get my data off, but the data was all ok.

After I finially got my drive back, I started filling it up again.....I KNEW i shouldn't have trusted It ! The Exact same thing started happening again ! What a joke ! I called seagate and they didn't tell me much just said to return it, and get yet another one. They're total crap i guess ! All that stuff they said on their display box was way off lol. Well...it is indeed quiet lol....especially when it's in the freezer like mine is atm. LOL hey anybody want a 160 gig 7200 rpm barracuda returned from the factory ? I don't think i'll ever trust seagate again ! I am affraid that when i get the new one it's gonna do the same thing, and what good is a hard drive if it only works at 32 degrees ?! I'd need a hard drive just to back up my hard drive cuz i dunno when it would crash. by the way i don't have an ati card. i got a nvidia card .......like it matters now.......

I currently am running 4 ibm deskstar drives. I still have room for 2 more including my fried seagate 160. I have : 1-40gig, 1-80gig, and 2-120gig ibm/ibm/hitachi hard drives.
About the Clicking yes i too have heard the clicking of the (heads sticking?) from my hard drives. So far, the only problem i've had with my ibm drives is one of the 120's ibm/hitachi deskstar hard drives. It sometimes goes offline when i boot up my machine the bios doesn't see it for some reason, but it does come back online when i restart or when windows crashes and restarts lol. I also sometimes get an error message saying that my system has recovered from serious errors! . I think it only pops up when the 120 comes back online. Otherwise Ibm hdds have been really nice especially for taking so much abuse by running them for long periods of time.

I dunno if anyone out there has had this problem, but I've never been able to format my seagate 160 Barracuda hard drive properly, I guess my brother did it once, but It took him hours and hours. I tried Seagate's " Award winning software:" and I came to the conclusion that it was garbage, and was of no value to me, cuz it didn't format or partition my drive. I've even tried disk management, and tried to format it from there, but it would go to 99% or what looked like the end, and then it would suddenly stop and a message would say "windows couldn't format your drive". I couldn't do a quick or a full format. I'm running XPsp1 (after having Serious Security problems with win2kpro). However, my dad is running win2kpro, and I was able to format the hard drive in his machine. Am I getting a Raw Deal here >?< what's the deal here ? Are my Seagate hard drives pre-marked for death? Am I the only person with these problems ? Who else has a barracuda in their freezer >?<

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Derek Franz May 18, 2004, 11:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Delayed Write Failed / Error - FINALLY SORTED OUT!
Well, I just got done fixing my own "Delayed Write Failed" error message. What I had to do was load WindowsXP in safe mode, go with my "last known settings that worked," and once WindowsXP loaded my account, go into the registry editor and change all of the LargeSystemCache values to 0.

Reloaded XP, no error message, almost hit the ceiling I jumped so high from excitement ... then came the aftermath. Not only did I have to reinstall DirectX, but I also had to uninstall and reinstall everything that came with my graphics card (ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 128mb). So if you do all this, although it is a long and grueling process, it seems to fix the problem.

Jan Andrejkovic May 19, 2004, 05:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 19, 2004, 05:37pm EDT

Hello friends,
I had the same problem like you. I had no problems until I have enabled Large System Cache in my Windows XP as a tweak in the program Cacheman XP. I have ATI Radeon 9000 and I knew about the warning but this time no warning was displayed.

After the restart my huge problems begins... I saw a Delayed write failed error messages as described in previous e-mails and I could not login... If you get here - immediately turn off your computer, because as longer you allow this errors to be displayed as more errors your drives will contain :-(

I was in very bad situation because everybody adviced Safe startup but this causes just a reset of computer in my case and last known good config didn't help either. I have no backup of my register files, so I had to repair ones which were on unaccesible disk...

Here you have the procedure how I fixed it:

I started windows recovery console (boot from CD, R, Enter,1 Enter, type admin password)
then I made a backup of the current registry files. I made a backup of 5 files:
(as adviced by MS at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545)
cd system32\config
mkdir tmp
copy default tmp\.
copy sam tmp\.
copy system tmp\.
copy security tmp\.
copy software tmp\.

then I deleted this files from config directory:
del default
del sam
del system
del security
del software

then I copied old files from windows\repair directory:
copy ..\..\repair\default .
copy ..\..\repair\sam .
copy ..\..\repair\system .
copy ..\..\repair\security .
copy ..\..\repair\software .

If you have the system restore backup which is located in directory "System Volume Information" in your system root (e.g. c:\), then you can use them as well. Maybe you will be happy with the result and you will finish here after restart. But I had no files there from System restore. (If you have problem to open this directory, you should add the permissions for you - you can find it in folder properties, after you will disable "Use Simple file sharing in Folder Option\View)

I type exit and I successfuly rebooted computer to the almost clean windows XP (I had just pure Windows XP drivers loaded - because of register settings copied from repair directory)
Then I started regedit (or regedt32 in windows 2000) and here the magic begins...

Click on HKEY_USERS (you can open it as well) and go to menu File and click on Load Hive...
go to your windows directory where is our tmp directory - e.g.: c:\windows\system32\config\tmp and
open the file system from tmp directory. Put there any hive name which you will remember - such as Tofu-system ;-)

Then go to this field and then to HKEY_USERS \Tofu-system\ControlSet01\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management and change LargeSystemCache to zero (or System Pages as well if you want - I din't changed that)

We do not change CurrentControlSet because I assume it is copied from ControlSet01 - you can also check ControlSet02, or another one if you want. (My ControlSet02 was OK)

Then you select HKEY_USERS\Tofu-system in the regedit and click on File and Unload Hive...
Your change will be saved to registry file on disk after you click on Unload Hive.

You probably know what follows - yes - again the recovery console (I'm very surprised that Microsoft didn't include registry changing tool into recovery console, it would be much much simplier).
So restart windows, and go to recovery console again.

We will delete old registry files and copy back repaired ones:
cd system32\config
del default
del sam
del system
del security
del software

copy tmp\default .
copy tmp\sam .
copy tmp\system .
copy tmp\security .
copy tmp\software .

type exit and you should be able to see your old windows xp which you maybe believed never see anymore.

Anyway - I personally have hard failures on one of my partition (it is not a system partition) so I have to backup all data and reformat it.

I don't know if it is a problem of ATI or Microsoft, I just played with my computer several hours untill I get this result. You can use this guide anytime you will experiment with the registry and your PC crashes after restart. AND of course - you will know what you changed (or you are using system restore)...

I hope I helped you.

I wish you lot of luck! :-)

Jan alias Tofu.

PS: I have found very good web-page about windows registry: http://sudhirmangla.i6networks.com/win/registry.htm and also
http://www.mdgx.com/reg.htm

Suspended Account Jul 10, 2004, 12:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
WOW, Rhialto you found it! I got the same exact problem as you. I installed 3 days ago a new ATI 9800 pro and last night I installed the latest Catalyst driver. This morning BANG! just like you. I checked my LargeSystemCache and BINGO! It was set to 1. After I reste it to 0 and rebooted, all was back to normal!!!

Thanks!

The Fortress n Jul 14, 2004, 03:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Delayed Write Failed /
Hi I've been having this problem for weeks \$directory delayed write failed and its p**sing me off. Because I have a couple of computer games i'm trying to run and I've never had this problem before I have been looking for a way to stop this problem and my computer specs are.
Emachines t1090
900mhz
128mb syncDRAM
56xcd drive
20gb ultra DMA\66
A nivida 5000 series video card
a 56k internet\replaced with wireless
anyone know how to help

Robert Forbes Aug 14, 2004, 03:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
here is a possible solution the error message "delayed write failed"

Windows XP Patch: Hard Disk May Become Corrupted When Entering Standby or Hibernation
This update addresses the "Hard Disk May Become Corrupted When Entering Standby or Hibernation" issue in Windows XP. Download now to protect the hard disk when entering Standby or Hibernation.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b997c...layLang=en

I had the same problem and Microsofts basic answer of kill all UDMA disk support didn't work since Windows XP wouldn't let me kill that support on the system drive. The patch seems to have cured the problem.

Andy Roos Aug 14, 2004, 05:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey everyone, you guys sound like you're more knowledgable about this topic than anyone else out here in this world wide web. Like all of you, I have this Windows Delayed Write Failed error. I have a 9700 PRO with latest drivers and two 80GB WD hard drives. XP Home SP1. My Cache value is and has always been set to 0. I haven't touched my BIOS, and my cable is the correct type. I have followed all the advice Microsoft put forth. My error blurb comes when A. I'm downloading stuff, I get the error, but the file its concerned with stays in tact as far as I can tell, B. when I move files between the two harddrives or within one. C. When I try to burn a data cd, I get a

Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\BurnQuickTemp\burnquick.bin. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

My C harddrive, though only 80gb, shows up as 137 when I click properties for it. Could this have something to do with my problem?

Any suggestions would be super appreciated.

James Marlin Aug 14, 2004, 06:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 14, 2004, 06:39pm EDT

ATI was once know for releasing extremely buggy drivers, I know this for a fact since I was one of the poor suckers to buy an ATI AIW Pro (PCI slot) for my old 233mmx. I even upgraded from 95 to 98se hoping it would help, but no dice. It wasn't till the release of XP that ATI finally delivered a fairly stable driver for the AIW.

Even though ATI's drivers have improved a h#ll of a lot, I'd still be inclined to lay this one at their door, because I never had a problem using this setting with my nVidia cards both a Gforce DDR & 4Ti 4400. This was on another MB a ASUS A7V-266E for the DDR, and both MB's for the Ti.

In fact I've had a couple of problems with the Catalyst video drivers. I'm using a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L and I find that I can't use any nForce drivers newer then 2.03 (same ones that Soltek has listed for download for the MB, by the way) or I get all sorts of weird graphics problems when using my ATI 9800 Pro and any of the 4.x drivers. I opted to use the 2.03 chip-set drivers, since I'll most likely get better performance increases with newer Catalyst drivers.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the cache' problem was some how ATI's fault as well, though it might be a Nforce2/ATI incompatibility problem too.

Athlon XP M 2500+ (12x200FSB=2.4 ghz, PR 3500+), Soltek SL-75RN2-L, 1gig 3200DDR Ram, ATI X800GTO, NEC MultiSync FE991sb, Creative Audigy OEM, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 40gig HD booting XP, 200gig@50%games, Lite-On DVD burner, LG 52x32x52x
z z Aug 14, 2004, 10:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can't say they don't warn you :

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4217.html

James Marlin Aug 15, 2004, 08:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Cool beans dude!
Too bad ATI didn't have a entry in the read me for their drivers warning people about this potential problem. I know I haven't seen this before, and I all ways read the read-me, helps me to decide if I want to upgrade the driver or not.
Well any ways, it's nice to know ATI knows about it, and now we do too.

Athlon XP M 2500+ (12x200FSB=2.4 ghz, PR 3500+), Soltek SL-75RN2-L, 1gig 3200DDR Ram, ATI X800GTO, NEC MultiSync FE991sb, Creative Audigy OEM, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 40gig HD booting XP, 200gig@50%games, Lite-On DVD burner, LG 52x32x52x
angryhippy Aug 16, 2004, 03:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 16, 2004, 03:19am EDT

Go to system Properties on the advanced tab, performance settings, advanced. Make sure you have memory usage set to programs and not system cache. That will fix the delayed write failure errors SOMETIMES. No promises. Do you have write caching enabled for the disks?

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Ron Taylor Aug 27, 2004, 11:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have HP N6490 laptop with 18gb drive. After restarting from a standby, I get "Delayed Write Failed" messages. This only began recently. Standby used to work all the time without problem. I have checked the cache registry value as described in this thread and it is 0. The other fix mentioned seems to only apply to hard drives larger than 137gb.

I believe that this error is being caused by the laptop not finishing some process before it drops into sleep mode and then when it wakes up the "Delayed Write" errors result.

Help please.

Nada Chance Aug 29, 2004, 01:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I too, found myself in the same predicament as all of you before me. Some of the differences are 1) I am using Win2k Pro rather than XP: 2) I have made no hardware changes: 3) my LargeSystemCache has always been set to 0.

Even though I was afraid my hard drive was REALLY failing, it just didn't "feel" like that was the case. My problems began a few days ago after I ran one of the tweaking utilities. After that, I began receiving the hard disk failure errors. My system wouldn't allow me to stay active for more than 30 minutes, tops, before it crashed to the BSOD. I would have to turn it off and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then it would boot normally but 15 - 30 minutes later it would crash again. Like everyone else, I have been wracking my brains trying to find a solution. Just when I am about to give up and buy new hardware, I came across your forum.

I think I "might" have found a solution to MY problem through your forum but it isn't the same solution everyone else has found. This just seems too simple but something that could only be found accidentally, I think. So far it has worked for me. I have been up and running for about 4 hours now without crashing.

I have another system on my network that I use mainly just for storage. Because of that I don't apply any registry tweaks. While perusing the registry of my main system to check my LargeSystemCache, I had the storage box system registry open to compare some of the other settings. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management is the setting called "SystemPages". This is not a generally tweaked setting but for some reason my main system had that set at DWORD Hex = 1b000 Decimal = 110592 and my untweaked storage box was set at DWORD Hex = 7b000 Decimal = 503808. I changed my main system to the 7b000 setting, rebooted, and have been up and running ever since (only about 4 hours but that's 3 1/2 hours longer than before). I'm still holding my breath, though.

I don't know if this will help anyone else but I hope at least a couple of others can benefit. I hate that desperate feeling of not being able to find the solution to a problem.

angryhippy Aug 29, 2004, 10:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 29, 2004, 10:12pm EDT

In reading your post the first thing that struck me was the fact you were having to wait 15 minutes before you could reboot. That's a sure sign of overheating. The component needs time to cool down before it will reboot. Go to http://www.lavalys.com and download the Everest Home Edition. It is exactly the same as Aida32 except when Lavalys took Aida over they added a hard drive temperature sensor reading. Check your hard drive temps and see if they are running hot. Open the program click on computer then sensor. They should run below 30C. If you have more than one the primary will be a bit hotter. If you are over 35C I would suggest you invest in a hard drive cooler. The heat could be being generated by a bad bearing or something internally which cooling wouldn't help though.

Get Hippied out!
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Nada Chance Aug 29, 2004, 10:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm going to run your suggested checks to see what I find out. I will let you know, but curiously, I have been up and running ever since my last post this morning. I agree that having to wait 15 minutes suggests overheating but I didn't really give that any thought because approximately a month ago I had three cooling fans installed. That makes me extra curious. Be back, shortly ...

Nada Chance Aug 29, 2004, 10:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh brother ... it doesn't register at all. When I select "sensor" it displays a blank page. That's probably something bad but for now I'm thankful that I'm no longer crashing. Thx.

angryhippy Aug 30, 2004, 12:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What kind of mobo do you have? Do you have a hardware monitor section in your BIOS. If it's an older HD it may not have sensor.

Get Hippied out!
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Nada Chance Aug 30, 2004, 12:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know, it must be a generic mother board because the name is "unknown". Yes, it's an older one running a Pentium IIIE 800 processor so you're probably right about the sensor. Thanks for the tips, though, and the link to the Everest program. It will come in very handy.

angryhippy Aug 30, 2004, 12:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You may want to just put your hand in there and feel the thing next time it stops. Also because it's an older system you may want to check out if you have a lot of dust accumulating, especially around the heat sink for the processor. And even try taking the side off and run a house fan blowing into the side.

Get Hippied out!
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
mark chambers Sep 02, 2004, 12:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 02, 2004, 01:45pm EDT

Hi, I'm getting mad Delayed Write Failed messages, but my situation is a little different than most of your's; I don't have anything ATI. Here is my dilema:

Couple days ago I tried installing SP2. During the install procedure my computer made a loud screech and went out. Upon restart my speakers gave off a deafening loud static noise. (Scared the h3ll out of me...haha) When my desktop loaded, got a message mentioning my SP2 installation didn't finish and I needed to uninstall it because my pc was in an "extremely unstable state," or something along those lines. So I uninstalled it and rebooted planning on trying again. Well first it had to reinstall hardware after the uninstallation so I had to reboot a 2nd time. This is where things got messed up... First came the blue disk check screen wanting to check my F:\ drive (I have one WD 200gig HD connected to a controller card and all 4 partitions have worked perfect) but the disk check wouldn't check it because it "wasn't an XP disk", so it automatically selected not to continue and went to the desktop. Now everything was crawling at a snail's pace and I'm starting to get hit with Delayed Write Failed errors pointing to files on my F:\ drive; and a little yellow exclamation mark that keeps appearing by my clock but not saying why, and disappearing when I click on it. I'm on my PC now. I can surf fine, but any real actions take forever. I was even able to install SP2 completely but it did not solve anything. I still get the check disk and the many Delayed Write Failed at desktop load. A few hardware drivers needed updating: my USB 2.0 controller and Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver needed updates and was fixed after SP2 installed. This solved nothing. I tried browsing explorer, took forever to load directory tree, but was eventually able to look at my F:\ drive. I could slowly browse each folder except for my Documents folder which had been moved from C:\ for storage reasons. It scares me that this is the only folder I cannot access as all my work is here. This is the message I get:

F:\Documents is not accessible.

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

[OK]

Something to note perhaps: my TEMP directories WERE set on my F:\ drive, as well as a lot of paging file space (because my C:\ partiton was too small), so a lot of these errors point(ed) to those files. I've tried chaging them back to C:\ but no difference. All my LargeSystemCache values are set to 0 as well. Basically, my 4th partiton, F:\, is making my entire computer move at an extremely slow speed. Any ideas? I blame SP2 so far.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.