Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1333 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 01:19am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Delayed Write Failed / Error - FINALLY SORTED OUT! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
mark chambers Sep 02, 2004, 01:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 02, 2004, 01:45pm EDT

>> Re: Delayed Write Failed / Error - FINALLY SORTED OUT!
Duh, I'm a moron. I don't evenknow my own computer's setup anymore. =/ Ok, I have TWO hard drives. An IBM 40 gig and a WD 200 gig. Both of them partitioned twice; C, D, E, and F, respectively. C, D, E run fine, F is where the errors originate. Another error I forgot to mention:

Windows - Device Timeout

The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 was not completed before the time-out period expired.

[Cancel] [Try Again] [Continue]

If anyone can, please give me some suggestions. I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, and if I can just find a way to access my work on this drive and get it off I'd be content to try reformatting. Thanks!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Kari Sinkko Oct 05, 2004, 08:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here's my solution.

I got this error from enabeling a performance option in the properties of My Computer.

After my restart, I got this error, even in safe mode. I used the chkdsk /r option in console to repair the partition table information and then replaced my 9200 video card with my old 440mx. Booted up, changed the settings back, shutdown, put back my 9200 and restarted it, and everythings been back to what it was. A very percular problem.

ise piq Oct 26, 2004, 07:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 19, 2004, 06:05pm EST

I have edited this. Please see my post later one with TWO different FIXES!!! that I used on three different computers. Whoopie!!! Took me a month to figure this out and fix them!!!

IMHO
isepiq

vg vc Nov 18, 2004, 03:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 18, 2004, 03:08pm EST

Hi im new to the forums and everything was fine till yesterday mys**t came up with that delayed write failed
something about (My External Drive)--->I:mft$
messege and now i cant even see my hd on my computer or anywhere the only place it shows up is in my device manager and my safely remove hardware icon

ive tried several ways using the wd tools and trying to find a way to run scan disk on it

ive even taken the hd out of the enclosure and hooked it up ide and still wont let me access it

im using a wd se lighted external firewire/usb combo ive tried both interfaces Win xp pro reconizes the device it just wont let me see the drives contents

any suggestions to this problem cause man im f**ked all my data was on that drive shoulda backed up buts**t to late now

also im running sp2 and all the latest drivers for my harware

Specs

3200 amd athlon
512 ram
nforce 2 board dfi
ati aiw 9800 pro

thx guys

ise piq Nov 19, 2004, 06:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Two fixes:

1. You have an image drive set up on your system such as Nero Image Drive, Alcohol Image Drive, Daemon-Tools Image Drive, or any other fake cd rom drive program and you did one of the following: Updated to XP SP2, or you did a repair install of Windows XP. To fix this, temporarily completely UNinstall any Image Drive programs. Reboot your computer and test for problem. If gone, you can now safely Re-Install Image drive programs. Go to My Computer, Properties, Hardware Devices, and make sure there is NOTHING listed under SCSI drivers (UNLESS you have one on your Motherboard!!!) when doing the UNinstall part before the reboot fix.

2. You just upgraded to a hard drive that breaks the 138 GB hard drive barrier. Your motherboard OR your Controller Card MUST say that it ALSO breaks the 138 GB hard drive barrier!!! To fix this, get an Ata Controller Card thats says ON THE PACKAGE or somewhere that it flat out DOES break the 138 GB hard drive barrier. There are many Promise PCI Controller Cards that DO or DO NOT do this!!! Make SURE you get one that DOES! ALSO, some onboard Contollers Do or DO NOT support this! Do not take anyone's word for it. Make sure that the product has it in writing!!!

I have fixed three computers with one or the other above fix now, when no one else could figure it out. I hope this is your answer too. Good luck.

IMHO
isepiq

vg vc Nov 19, 2004, 06:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i did a fresh format install of xp pro and then updated to sp2 and i still have the problem

with out installing nero i did though before formated to see if that was the problem

any other suggestions??

ise piq Nov 20, 2004, 04:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 20, 2004, 04:48am EST

vg vc

What size hard drives do you have on your system???

garip yok Nov 27, 2004, 04:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i ve abit KT7A-Raid (via) system. There are 160GB Seagate Barracuda on Via Port and one 40Gb Quantum Fireball Plus AS on hpt370 raid controller onboard...

There is Windows XP SP1 on Quantum... i boot with quantum and there is no delayed write failure on any HDDs... but i ve installed Windows XP MCE 2005 (with SP2) on 160GB seagate drive...on startup (after login) of mce 2005 i get Delayed write error on Quantum disk (first section of Quantum - There is 4 sections on it)... this is very strange thing...
in my mce 2005 registry Large System Cache is 0 and i also have nVidia Geforce MX 400...

ise piq Nov 29, 2004, 12:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i ve abit KT7A-Raid (via) system. There are 160GB Seagate Barracuda on Via Port and one 40Gb Quantum Fireball Plus AS on hpt370 raid controller onboard...

ANSWER: Sounds like your ONboard Raid Controller does NOT handle drives larger than the 138GB hard drive barrier!!! A LOT of them do NOT. It will not handle having a 160 GB seagate drive hooked up!!! You will need to get a PCI Raid Controller that specifically states on the package that it DOES break or handle the large hard drive barrier. The NEWER Promise Raid Controller Cards do, but NOT an old model one. Be careful not to get ripped off with an older model!!!

This wil fix your problem, and give you some boost in speed too! Promise has a nice one that goes for around $59 US at discount stores. Adaptac had one out for $49 US.

IMHO
isepiq

joe user Nov 29, 2004, 06:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got a Dell 600SC with a basic ATI video chip set on-board. I was fine until I recently started getting these delayed write failures. I have done a bunch of things recently and I'm not sure which is causing it. Among them:
XP SP2
Nero 6.6
new 200GB SATA hard drive (not the one I'm having trouble with) and PCI controller
PerfectDisk 7

The problems seem to have started after running PerfectDisk. I couldn't defrag files on a partition on one of my 80GB WD drives so I moved a couple of large virtual machine files off to my new 200GB drive. These 80GB drives (2) are hooked up to a Promise FastTrak 100 in RAID 1 (mirror). After moving the VM files, I defragged and then tried to copy the VM files back to the newly defragged partition. All the files copied ok except for one. I ran VMWare anyway and it sorted out the problem with the file being missing (it was a REDO file) but I started getting the delayed write failure messages. I can run it from the 200GB drive though. I will remove Nero and see if that has any effect. LargeSystemCache is already set to 0. It seems to only be affecting one partition so I'm suspicious of one of the hard drives in the mirror set. I did have to replace one of them a while back.

ise piq Nov 29, 2004, 06:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
joe user

Your problem is the 200GB hard drive. The promise Fastrak you have does NOT handle drives larger than about 120GB. Even though the Delayed Write Failure may not show as being from your 200GB drive, that IS your problem. The ide, sata, and older promise controllers will NOT WORK with hard drives over 120 GB!!!

Get yourself an Sata Controller Card that states ON THE PACKAGE that it breaks the LARGE HARD DRIVE BARRIER!!!

It was the installation of the 200GB drive that caused your problem. The drive is fine though, you just need the proper interface to handle large drives like that.

Sometimes it seems like no one is reading these answers!!!!!!

IMHO
isepiq

garip yok Nov 30, 2004, 02:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i said that 160GB on via port not on hpt370 raid port... and my hpt370 has not 138gb barrier :)
i upgrade its bios to v2.31 it works well with my 160GB Seagate...
my problem is; i gets delayed error on only first part of 40gb quatum disc on hpt370 and boot with Windows XP MCE 2005 from 160gb seagate on Via ide port...

i ve read all posts also...

ise piq Dec 01, 2004, 04:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
and boot with Windows XP MCE 2005 from 160gb seagate on Via ide port...

That is your problem right there!!! The ide port you have that drive on is NOT supporting drives larger than 120GB's. If you have a port that you are 100% sure supports this, then hook it up to that. Otherwise, you WILL need to get a PCI Controller Card that states ON THE PACKAGE that it supports drives larger than 120GB's.

IMHO
isepiq

Tommy Evans Dec 06, 2004, 03:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Laptop HD - Delayed Write Faile ($mft) - Fixed
My HP laptop just died (the power connector seems to have come unsoldered from the MB) - so I took the drive out and, using a nifty Laptop-to-PC connector I bought, I hooked it up to my PC so I could back it up before sending it in to HP.

The adapter I bought connects to a normal IDE ribbon cable, and plugs in like any other HD. My system has got several drives, so I connected it to my Promise card. Booted up the system, and started getting Delayed Write errros on g:\$mft.

I checked the LargeSystemCache value in the registry - it was set to 1. THis is a 40GB HD, so it's not over the 137GB limit.

Finally, I switched the IDE cable from a 40-pin to an 80-pin, and all is well now. (I had to cut off a pin from the drive adapter to accomodate the 80-pin cable).

ise piq Dec 08, 2004, 04:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That is another good one! It has been so many years since I fooled with an older computer that still used 40 wire instead of 80 that I completely forgot about that one!
If you set your hard drives for DMA mode, or ATA Fast mode, but your MOBO or Cable does not support it, you will get those very same Write errors indeed. We can add this THIRD fix to the list. This should help a LOT of people.
Thanx for your post.

IMHO
isepiq

Jon Davison Dec 21, 2004, 08:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an ATI 8500 DV card and an external ADS firewire box with a WD 160gb in it that's formatted to 137gb [80 wire cable is standard]. All these are in a stock Sony RX860, running XP SP2.
The delayed write failures started with the external drive addition last week. I was using the ATI card for over a year without an issue. I suspect the video editing, DVD writing, video capture, etc all demand so much from the hard drive that thru put is forcing the delayed write problem to show up, but only in the firewire connected drive.

Does this make sense? I'll look at the LargeSystem Cache setting

Howard Owen Dec 25, 2004, 08:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just installed SP2 on XP Pro a couple of days ago. Got a "Windows Delayed Write Failed" error not long after, never had seen it before. No remaining ATI card in my system (it died 2 weeks ago), installed an old 3d labs VX1. All instances of LargeCache = 0.

Working in Photoshop this morning, got a BSOD, error not recorded. In BOTH cases, ++I heard my SCSI drive spin up *after* the error occured++. None of my drives are set to shut themselves down, so this is very weird.

Maxtor Atlas 10k drive running through an Adaptec 19160 host adaptor. Is my drive failing or is SP2 putting some sort of MS curse on it?

Ryan Walsh Dec 27, 2004, 02:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a maxtor 80 gb hdd. Running win xp. geforce 4 ti4400 video card. I have been reading these posts for a while now. I went into regedit, local machine, current control session manager memory management. to find LargeSystemCache. the value was already set to 0. Is there other places where i would find LargeSystemCache that might be needed to change?

warmonger Dec 27, 2004, 09:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 27, 2004, 09:11am EST

this is odd. had a looksee, just cuz, and what do i find? no largecache thingie. got a 9700pro, too :/

my rig's a MUtant *runs away crying*

Lian Li PC65b; Asrock 939Dual Sata2; X2 4800+; X850XTcat7.5; X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty; Ultra X2 550w; 2GB OCZ Gold Ed. DDR400 DC; WD3200KS, WD800JD; 52x32x52 LG cdrw; x16 DVR110D
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8853/blackdeathhl6.jpg
Fresh Prince Jan 10, 2005, 05:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, just wanted to add my story, I had same Write Delay Failed errors.
I have:
Asrock K7S8X motherboard
AMD 2800+ Sempron
512mb DDRAM
nVidia GeForce FX 5200

Anyway, the motherboard has only 2 IDE connector plugs so I decided to buy a raid card
to expand it, I bought this one from company called ST Lab, it's an ata 133 ide card, I got
ultra ata 100, 80 pin cables with it and added 2 hdds on it.
A 120gb WD & 80gb of some other brand. In raid card bios I made it a normal IDE.
So what happened was that every time I tried to write on these drives it would first go
very slow and slower and then it would report the error, or explorer would crash.
I couldn't do anything about it, I tried the "largesystemcache" thing too, but same..
So I switched the cables to ata 33, 40 pin ones, and it's working fine now, at
"lower speed" of ata33 which is actually normal.
I don't know if it's my mobo that didn't support the faster transfers or what,
my fbus is running az 166mhz set in bios, and if I try to make it any faster
it freezes bios, anything slower would suck.
Anyway I'm just glad it's working now.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.