Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1489 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 04:02pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dead Toshiba Satellite 1800?? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Andrew Grothe Nov 19, 2005, 12:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dead Toshiba Satellite 1800??
Ok, this is my 2nd post. See 2 above. Toshiba 1800 1PK.

I had the backlight issue myself. I found that if you book into CMOS, Turn the brightness from super bright to normal, then boot into windows and use toshiba power controls to turn the brightness down a little takes care of the monitor screen going black.

Now more about the power issue. I think it is a grounding issue. If i strip the notebook down completely, which i've done several times now (about 6), then plug the monitor and kb back in, it will boot perfectly. As soon is i put in the long screws on top just above the kb, or the long screws on back, it won't boot again. At the advice of a friend, i tried using tape to isollate some of the contacts at the base of the screw wells, but no with no success. I'm going to try issolate some more potential grounding spots tonight.

In the mean time, when trying to fix the no power issue, i'v starting have the notebook boot for a few seconds, only to display a weird ASCII symbol and stall. Removing the hard drive and rebooting usually solves it thought.

Anyway, I'll post back in a day or so, hopefully with a final solution.

Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://healthtop.co.nr
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Miguel Costa Nov 19, 2005, 12:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Andrew:

About the inverter issue: yes, adjusting the brightness helps, but it will only delay the problem. I've been using the lowest settings for months, in Linux I can even dim the light more, but ultimately the inverter will fail. I've been browsing for other the same problems in other notebooks and it seems toshiba recognizes this problem (the inverter) and extends the warranty (see this thread http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/25651/?o=60)

Since most of us have already torn the notebook apart, they might not be so helpful but I guess it's worth a try.

About the power problem, thanks, I'll look into the grounding possibility also.

Michael Lyons Dec 24, 2005, 03:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i also have a Toshiba satellite 1800-s203 it was having the display problems with the back light turning off but i did what was told above to seat the connectors and it fixed it for about two mouths everything was working fine then now when i press the power button on my laptop the power light comes on but the computer will not turn on i check with vga nothing. Nothing turns on just the light i press the cd-rom button to see if it open to see if its getting power nothing. I then wait for like 5 secs nothing. What i do then is unplug the power and battery and plug it all in again and still nothing i do this again 5 times and then sometimes the laptop will turn on very frustrating . Has anybody been having the same problem?

Ammar Shans Jan 28, 2006, 09:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
has anyone found a solution to this yet?

ray yauchler Feb 06, 2006, 02:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found my Toshiba 1805 Display repair info on this site thru a post by Bob Pfeiffer. Thanks Bob. However, I took his repair a step further. The reason the screen goes black is that the connectors at the ends of the lcd inverter keep coming loose (located just at the bottom of the display inside the casing). I sent my unit back to Toshiba-authorized repair twice, only to have the same problem keep coming back. I had my local computer repair guy remove the cover and I reseated the connectors and then USED SOME 8-POUND TEST FISHING LINE TO TIE A LOOP AROUND THE CONNECTORS FROM END TO END. IF YOU THREAD THE MONO-FILAMENT THRU THE WIRES AT THE CONNECTORS AND TIE THE LOOP WITH ENOUGH TENSION, THE MONO HOLDS THE OPPOSING CONNECTORS TOWARDS THE MIDDLE. It is non conductive, and so far 3 months later, I'm very happy with the results. I think the fishing line will hold a long time with no ultra-violet sunrays. Maybe some of you know of a better material. It works great because it stretches to tie the knot, then shrinks back to tighten the loop.
Good Luck,
Ray

Brodie Hay Feb 27, 2006, 12:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This seems to be a problem with either the mainboard or the LED display board. Either way, when I press down on that area of the motherboard (from the LED board), the notebook works fine... Until it locks up again, then I press down on the same area, reboot, and all is well for a while. So something is either cracked or loose maybe?

Adam Wilkes Mar 14, 2006, 04:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am sure that the dead/non-booting 1800 problem is a motherboard physical fault. I have found that the problem recurs whether the motherboard is in the case or not, screwed down or not (so not an earth problem). The problem improved after I resoldered some connections on the motherboard, noteably the cpu pins (! remove the processor first !), which looked pretty short of solder. This didn't cure it, but it helped. I have subsequently resoldered everything large enough to get a small iron on (using a magnifying glass). Unfortunately, part way along, the fault became worse (probably I found the fault, and worsened it!), and now, finally, it is permanently non-starting. I suspect that some invisible track or interconnection between the 4-layer PCB is the problem - caused by fatigue due to flexing. I have focussed around the cpu (thermal stresses), and near fixing screws (etc), as these would be a focus for the highest stresses. Nothing is visible. It is possible I have overheated a semiconductor along the way, so I have given up on this motherboard, but I am sure I am on the right track (ha ha). Unfortunately, the oft-observed symptons may be due to a weakness buried deep between PCB layers. If anyone finds a location on the motherboard where the problem certainly originates from - PLEASE SAY !! Obvious other points to look around is the socket that the front LED's board sits on (which is also beneath the keyboard, so could be pressed hard more than once); also the power switch board, and it's motherboard socket; also the RAM area. All areas which people inevitably or often press or twist. I also tried soldering some of the through-holes that there are hundreds of - some shear-forces may chop some of these through, though this implies that the layers of motherboard are sliding between each other (!) - delamination. Watch this space !

Marc L Jul 25, 2006, 07:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Satellite 1400 with exactly the problem described above. I have tried stripping down the laptop and putting it back together but this has only worked on a few seemingly random occasions.

Reading Ben Ebel's contribution about the cooling gas on Page 1 above, I now put the laptop in a cold room (8 deg C) for 15 mins or so and it boots up without fail every time.

So if you have the above problem and you're in a hot climate, try a quick cooling test of your laptop first before you take it to Toshiba to replace the motherboard!

Jack Hallett Jul 25, 2006, 05:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi just like to say thanks to everybody for all this info has helped alot.

I had the same problem of no power on startup so i decided to clean out the laptop, as described here

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba1800/satellite1800_1.htm

Everything went fine until i went to put the cpu back in it just does'nt seem to lock into position the plastic slides accross yet when i put the cpu in and try to slide it, it wont budge.

Please help I have been trying to sort this for ages.

Many Thanks

BoB

Hugh McGee Dec 10, 2006, 06:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Eugene said:
Hi,
Morover, Tecra 9100 is a similar crap. Again, problems with power. New battery might run for 10 min, macnihe restarts and etc. A friend of mine changed mainboard 4 times in 2 years!!! In fact, Toshiba recognized that Tecra 9100 has engineering problem. But Tecra 9000 was a very successful model for example.

I suspect TOSHIBA must really work on "power" issues with its laptops. Maybe they use crapy parts for power blocks on mainboard.

In short, all of us with same problem should look for repair guys to find a solutuon. And these guys should be in India, Pakistan, Iraná Mexico or maybe in Easter European countries, where it is cheaper to repair than change a mainboard.

Regards,
Eugene
I

just spotted this and i have this laptop t9100

now as toshiba recognise this as a design fault does this mean they will repair this?? even tho it is out of warranty?

AMD X2 4200+ AM2
4GB Corsair XMS2 TwinX 800mhz
Leadtek 512mb 8800GT
Samsung 2232BW Pebble
H D Apr 06, 2007, 09:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 06, 2007, 09:09pm EDT

Here goes the 'solution' based on two 1800's I had with the exact same problem (when powered on, only got a brief seek sound from the FDD): The big square Ali chip, M1530 or similar, I don't remember the exact reference right now, sitting below the cd/dvd drive seems to loose some of it's connections to the motherboard, maybe because of excessive heat or mechanical action (bumping your laptop from below is really bad as this chip sits right in the middle of a plastic support to the case, therefore it will be pushed up while the motherboard is bent, when this model of laptop is subject to forces applied in the lower part of the case).
Anyway, you can check this removing the dvd, pressing the chip down and powering on the laptop. Only way I could figure out to keep it pressed down was to put a piece of plastic between the dvd and the chip, and use the dvd to press it down on the motherboard. On my laptop I got a reasonable result, only when I move it around when powered on it sometimes freezes because the chip looses some connection. Soldering is impossible I guess as this is a Ball Grid Array chip (you can't see the pins because they are 'under' the chip). I tried putting some heat on one of the motherboards and was even able to remove and put the chip back on the motherboard again, but it never worked again also, so I recommend pressing the chip down with something, using the dvd drive as a support to do this, perhaps it will eventually solder itself back on the motherboard. Good luck!

Andrew Grothe Apr 06, 2007, 10:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I ended up giving my Satellite 1800 to a friend who found another solution.

The button right by the power switch which turns off the monitor when the screen is closed has a corresponding relay on the mother board. He simply pried the relay off the mother board disabling the auto screen shutoff function and presto!, It's worked ever since.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://healthtop.co.nr
Miguel Costa Apr 07, 2007, 08:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2007, 08:07am EDT

HD,

your solution sounds very plausible, since I found that removing the dvd and inserting it back in usually buys me some time without problems, so I will try sticking something between it and the board, try it for a few days and I'll let you know if it also works for me.

Thanx!

Nono Dede May 23, 2007, 05:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same issue with power. Sometime will work when pressure apply to the ALI chipset under the DVD drive.

That's clearly a problem with BGA chip that looses connection from thermal or physical stress.

My solution is (worked since).
Using a heat gun to resolder the chipset. Something like this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6910389051301515628&a...&hl=en

If you choose to do it, careful not to put too much heat - there are components under the board that may fall otherwise. Apply heat from the top around the ALi chip and be sure to protect the plastic parts with alluminium and don't move/touch the board for at least 20 minutes.

hope it helps.

H D May 27, 2007, 09:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 27, 2007, 09:27pm EDT

Yes, I've tried doing that but beware that the chip will 'sink' down on the motherboard if too much heat is applied, happened to me, the small bga solder bubbles will melt and probably short circuit between them as the chip's weight presses them down.
You have to be very careful to avoid this, I suggest anyone trying to do that to put some small metal plates on the corners of the chip to limit the amount of drop into the motherboard it will be allowed to travel to some tenths of a millimeter. I ruined one of my 1800s doing that, that's why I stated that I was even able to remove the chip from the motherboard, it went like it was floating over water, maybe I applied too much heat and wasn't counting on the chip to go down, either way I guess you have to heat it to that point to get some results, it should be the only way to resolder the chip, but it will eventually stress the chip to temperatures beyond it's limits, did you actually get a full working laptop by this method? I have another 1800 with the problem, actually writing this post with it right now :D and I am considering trying to heat the chip someday but my previous experience wasn't that good... By the way, the other 1800 survived a socket 370 transplant (!), while I was trying to discover where the problem was, I dessoldered a socket from an old motherboard and from the laptop (count to 740...:X) and then soldered it back on and it worked. Didn't quite solve the problem, though...:blush:
And to Jack Hallett, almost a year after his post: You should use a flatblade screwdriver to help the cpu slide to its locked position, inserting it vertically on the slot next to the 'lock' sliding plastic on the socket, then gently use the screwdriver to push the cpu to the left by tilting the vertical angle of it, while helping with your other hand, pushing the cpu to the left as hard as you can, it will click when it's in place. Then, move the sliding lever to the locked position. I Just swapped in a PIII instead of the original celeron a few hours ago, once you get the feeling of it, it's pretty easy to insert and remove cpu's in this laptop.
Regards,
Hugo

Nono Dede May 28, 2007, 12:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes it worked for me. 1800 runing nicely. I also heat up the other GBA chip under the board (video chipset - trident I think) to ensure that all the GBA chip were resoldered properly.

I have a Celeron 1Ghz in that Laptop and I'm also thinking of putting a Pentium III. May I ask what you use as a PIII replacement (stepping code)? What you be teh max speed I can use?

Cheers.

H D May 28, 2007, 01:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 28, 2007, 01:59pm EDT

I used a 1.1GHz, 1.75V PIII in order to maintain the power requirements, FSB and voltage (instead of a 1GHz SL5XT or 1.1GHz/128/100/1.75V SL5XU Celeron, I don't quite remember which one was the original cpu from this laptop, 1800-254, and from the other one, 1800-654S, the fried one, but I guess it was the 1G SL5XT). They had slightly different coolers, the 1.1G had a few extra cooling fins near the air outlet, so I kept this cooler with a 1.1G PIII, in the 1G Celeron laptop I think. It works fine, but keep in mind the coolers weren't equal, although it had no problems with being upgraded to a faster pIII I did also 'upgrade' the cooler, don't know what happens if you keep the original cooler and upgrade the speed, haven't tried that.
Anyway, see the sspec for your processor in the intel site, swap it for a pIII with 100MHz FSB, same core voltage (1.75v in my case) and try to keep the same power consumption and it will be fine, less choppy in animations, under win xp in my case. Guess the bottleneck now is in the HDD transfer rate, the LED sometimes goes permanently lit, I have enough memory (512Mb), with the celeron the LED blinked under the same situation, so you get a little improvement in that area also.
Regards
Hugo

Andrew Timleck Jul 06, 2007, 03:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Dead Toshiba Satellite 1800?? - Sleep switch fault?
Andrew Grothe said:
I ended up giving my Satellite 1800 to a friend who found another solution.

The button right by the power switch which turns off the monitor when the screen is closed has a corresponding relay on the mother board. He simply pried the relay off the mother board disabling the auto screen shutoff function and presto!, It's worked ever since.

I think you might be on to something - this is where my whole problem started. I used to have to "FLICK" the sleep button post (pushing it didn't work)... flick, flick, FLICK, FLICK!!!! and then it would come back on again. But now pressing on it does NOTHING. Won't even sleep with the lid closed (or when all in pieces like it is right now and me pressing on it.). I'm going to try this and will re-post if it works. First the "pressing on the ALI chip below the DVD.

Andrew Timleck Jul 06, 2007, 03:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'll be damned... pushed down on the ALI chip and started up instantly - first time in 14 months (I'd SO given up on it)... now I have IDE1 ERROR on the screen to deal with (this is not the same drive it came with since I think the other failed - seems right before it gave that one last shut down - and it gave that same "PUFF!" noise someone else mentioned - it had become incredibly hot. So it may be a combination of heat/cooling, lose ALI chip and the sleep switch.

H D Jul 06, 2007, 08:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 06, 2007, 08:35pm EDT

Hi there,
That IDE error might be caused by an incorrect configuration of either the hdd or cd/dvd drive(s). That happened to me when I swapped the original dvd-rom drive - watch the flat cable on the original drive, it tends to break near the connector below the sliding drawer where you place the dvd, it seems to be shorter than it should be to enable it to slide and bend when you close the drive, it does get a strange angle near the connector and it breaks. Repairable by re-soldering the tracks right near the contacts.
Anyway, when I swapped in a dvd-rw drive instead of the original dvd-rom drive, I had to put a solder bubble between two pins to change it's slave/master/CSEL configuration, don't quite remember which one was the original and which one the laptop expects to work with and which pins I had to jumper, but that info is available on the net.
That might be your cause for that IDE error, not necessarily hardware malfunction but a simple IDE device configuration error. Usually there are no jumpers on dvd drives to select it's configuration, one has to change it by hard-wiring the desired configuration.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.