Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1214 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 09:59am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dead Toshiba Satellite 1800?? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
liz perez Nov 07, 2007, 09:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dead Toshiba Satellite 1800??
Can someones post a Pic. of the Ali chip?
Thanks in advanced!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Rod Moore Nov 30, 2007, 07:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this problem so far.

I have an S1800-814.

My problem has steadily worsened.
Currently it appears dead except for the "on" light (between the "mains connected" and "battery light"), and the cooling fan comes on for a while (30 seconds) every minute or so.
I can also feel warm air being blown out of the fan duct.
The screen is dead, the HD light doesn't light, the DVD/CD drive won't open.

I have swapped memory chips, and HD without success.
I have also just tried pressing the ALI chip down without any change.

Any other ideas?

Andrew Grothe Nov 30, 2007, 04:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My friend took mine which also had a dead screen and woudn't boot and got it working by removing the addon chip which holds the screen shutoff switch. Its located top right of the keyboard and He had to basically heat the edges to get the solder off and presto, a new notebook!

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://healthtop.co.nr
Daniel Taylor Jan 15, 2008, 12:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Daniel Taylor Jan 15, 2008, 12:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Dale BARBER Sep 26, 2010, 07:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 26, 2010, 08:13pm EDT

Andrew Grothe said:
My friend took mine which also had a dead screen and woudn't boot and got it working by removing the addon chip which holds the screen shutoff switch. Its located top right of the keyboard and He had to basically heat the edges to get the solder off and presto, a new notebook!

I've got the same fault with my Toshiba Satellite 1800 PS183A-01MTC

Andrew, can you confirm that this fixed the problem? I can't quite see which addon chip you are referring to. On my 1800, the screen shutoff button presses on a small micro-switch mounted on the power-on daughter board...the one which also has the caps-lock led.

Some have been saying it's the ALi BGA chip which has a bad contact, but has anyone confirmed this and they have they been able to successfully repair it?

Cheers....

tt tf May 12, 2011, 10:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Arrgh, I've got one of these laptops, and it seems to be totally dead. Power on, and the main power light comes on, but nothing else - no POST, no cpu fan, no hard drive, no cd access - the only thing that happens is that the FDD drive makes a single noise then nothing. I've tried disassembling it down to the motherboard and trying to apply some heat to the CPU pins and ALi/Trident chip on the reverse side (same side as pins), but no go.

I believe there may be an issue around the CPU area because I decided to remove the CPU for some reason and had trouble getting it back in. It's pretty damn hard to get the CPU locked, but then again this might be my problem (CPU not locked down properly).

Andrew Grothe May 12, 2011, 03:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 12, 2011, 03:19pm EDT

tt tf said:
Arrgh, I've got one of these laptops, and it seems to be totally dead. Power on, and the main power light comes on, but nothing else - no POST, no cpu fan, no hard drive, no cd access - the only thing that happens is that the FDD drive makes a single noise then nothing. I've tried disassembling it down to the motherboard and trying to apply some heat to the CPU pins and ALi/Trident chip on the reverse side (same side as pins), but no go.

I believe there may be an issue around the CPU area because I decided to remove the CPU for some reason and had trouble getting it back in. It's pretty damn hard to get the CPU locked, but then again this might be my problem (CPU not locked down properly).

The largest issues with these laptops is that they haven't been produced in 7 years. Toss it in the garbage. I hate to sound harsh but an 7-8 year old laptop just isn't feasible. Especially with the history of the Satellite 1800s.

Some notebooks might last that long, but lets face it, most have a lifespan of 5(ish) years. You efforts to revive this thing are heroic but misplaced at best!

and besides, this 7 year old thread really just wants to rest... :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://healthtop.co.nr
Victor Komp Feb 21, 2017, 02:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, i've found a SOLUTION for my 1805-S253
I've realized what was the problem, the power jack, which has some cables, a ferrite filter, and a connector with + and -. I took it out and it seemed that in 17 years the cables and / or weldings were too old, cracked, or did not make contact. Now it works fine, even better than before... cleaned the fan, replaced the termic paste.
Hope this helps you too.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.