Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1256 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 01:30am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Sam Thompson Jul 19, 2005, 02:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
You should jack the back of your machine up somehow. and get a small desk fan next to it blowing air under it. Iv done that and havnt had any problems... ...Also. Dont leave your lappy all all night, i did, and the next morning there was a s*** load of dust on the fan. Toshiba has crap cooling, i think thats about the best youll be able to do to put a stop to this nonsense.

Good Luck.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ramon Garcia Jul 19, 2005, 04:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have had a satellite 2435 for 2 years and 4 months and I had the same problem of over heating after the first year of use. I cleaned it and solved the problem in 2 or 3 times, during the last 2 years, but then, I started to have a problem which seems not to be related to overheating. The problem is the same, the computer shuts down suddenly, but this happens only when I move the laptop, when inclinating it or moving it slightly. It can happen even when the computer has been resting for long period and it is just starting.
It happens in both windows and linux, so, I hardly belive its a software problem.
I have noticed that when charging the battery, sometimes the charging light turns off, like it woudnt be charging at all, and when moving a bit the computer, it starts to work again.

Since the fan is not increasing its speed before shuting down and since it shuts down even when the computer seems to be not hot, I think its not a problem of overheating.
The charging led problem also makes me think it can be some other issue.

Does anyone have had this kind of problem? Or has anyone any sugestion?

Fabrice Baro Jul 20, 2005, 11:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Andrew Wang and Ramon Garcia

======================================================================
Andrew Wang wrote:
How can i either 1) keep this dust build-up from happening? Would there be adequate air moving through the computer if I taped some furnace filter material over the fan intakes? Would it hurt to try? The Toshiba guy suggested that I blow the dust out periodically but since the A75 case doesn't allow you to see where the dust is collecting, I would think that indiscriminately blowing compressed air inside the case was making things worse. I haven't put a vac hose up to the fan intakes because I'm scared that making the fans spin that fast (maybe even in the wrong direction) would ruin a fan or a fan bearing. Is that a reaosnable fear?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think a vacuum cleaner could spin the fan fast enough to ruin it. Keep in mind that fans are designed to rev at high speeds. As for the direction, I don't think (it's just an intuition) it's a problem either, beacause if you invert the polarity of the wires, it changes direction...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) I have tried on two different occasions to remove all the screws from the bottom of the case and take the laptop apart but a) there seems to have been a thread sealer used and a couple of the screws are impossible to loosen and b) even if I did get all of the screws out, what is the possibility that I would be able to take it apart and put it back together iwthout breaking anything?
Right now while the machine is still under warranty, I don't worry about it too much, but come August, I will be on my own.
I don't know what your A75 looks like for under, but under my A20 I located the air intake, removed the cover screws pretty easily. I also removed the heat sink cover (right next to it. This part should be next to the LATERAL exhaust of the laptop). Then I unscrewed the heat sink (a radiator...) and blew (well, removed by hand!) the thick dust layer. The only think to be careful is when removing the heaksink. Please read the other messages in this thread, the procedure is explained in detail. Oh, last advice, bring your laptop to service just before the warranty ends ;)

======================================================================
Ramon Garcia wrote:
I have had a satellite 2435 for 2 years and 4 months and I had the same problem of over heating after the first year of use. I cleaned it and solved the problem in 2 or 3 times, during the last 2 years, but then, I started to have a problem which seems not to be related to overheating. The problem is the same, the computer shuts down suddenly, but this happens only when I move the laptop, when inclinating it or moving it slightly. It can happen even when the computer has been resting for long period and it is just starting.
It happens in both windows and linux, so, I hardly belive its a software problem.
I have noticed that when charging the battery, sometimes the charging light turns off, like it woudnt be charging at all, and when moving a bit the computer, it starts to work again.

Since the fan is not increasing its speed before shuting down and since it shuts down even when the computer seems to be not hot, I think its not a problem of overheating.

It might be a problem with the wire of the power adapter.
In fact I'm having the same problem right now: right next to the plug that goes in the laptop, the wire is twisted, and now it's partially broken.
So the "plug" light and "charging battery" go off if the wire isn't in the rigth position.
This might be your problem. Are you getting low battery warnings ? If not, maybe this feature has somehow been turned off. "Check it out now, the funk soul brother".

Geoff Bowman Jul 25, 2005, 08:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just got my A70 back from the shop.

Constantly suffered BSOD (which seemed to be about heat?). After about 3 months the fan was on constantly, then louder and louder. Finally started having the charging problem, too - which was the last straw. Could only use AC (and battery only lasts about 50 mins) if very delicately placed into the back of the computer - or else it would run on the battery and drain it. ALso, the little swith to turn on/off the wireless card failed (luckily, always on).

Thankfully, my littledung-heap was still be under warranty. Here's what they replaced:

motherboard
case
fan

We'll see how long this lasts...

John c Aug 07, 2005, 07:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same computer. It could be the wire, but it could be the connector inside the computer. The pin in the center of the terminal, the one that goes into the A/C adapter when you plug the wire into the computer, broke off the motherboard on my computer. The fix was to replace the motherboard! Be careful when plugging, unplugging, and moving your computer around. You dont want to tug or pull to hard on the cord; that pin is only held on by a bit of solder.

Message-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have had a satellite 2435 for 2 years and 4 months and I had the same problem of over heating after the first year of use. I cleaned it and solved the problem in 2 or 3 times, during the last 2 years, but then, I started to have a problem which seems not to be related to overheating. The problem is the same, the computer shuts down suddenly, but this happens only when I move the laptop, when inclinating it or moving it slightly. It can happen even when the computer has been resting for long period and it is just starting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J Lloyd Aug 08, 2005, 04:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

Having a related ( I think) problem with a Satellite Pro 4600 model PSC460C-013PM that I am trying to repair so I can give it to my folks. The CMOS battery was dead. The system would still start, but obviously hold no settings, time, etc. Found another battery. Replaced the hard drive and installed 2 64MB sticks of RAM. Ran full hardware diagnostics on the system, including motherboard components, hard disk, and RAM ( which is pretty much an overnight process). Not a single problem. Installed xp pro, office, etc. Not a problem. Whole thing ran like a top until...

Out of the blue this week, the laptop starts just kicking off. The power light ( far left) starts flashing yellow. Hit the power button: nothing changes. To get it to come back to a normal state can sometimes be as easy as popping out the power adapter jack and back in, or you may have to repeat the process several times, remove the main battery, etc. Just to save starting THAT line of helpful hints, the system is NOT in standby or hibernate mode: it is something different altogether. Completely off, flashing yellow power light, no battery charge, no solid green AC power solid light.

Replicated the error both with the main battery in and with it out completely and running on AC, so I can't see it having anything to do with the main battery state/juice level, etc.

The system runs completely fine WHILE it runs. All powersave features have been disabled both in the BIOS and in win pwr mgmnt. I have been booting it up and leaving it on (with nobody even in the apt) to try and see if it might be a heat issue, etc, but it stays up and running for hours....until you leave for a few hours, then you come back and it's off and flashing yellow again. Just sitting there idling. I thought if it was a heat issue related to performance, I could replicate the error faster by running intensive programs, but it works fine doing that for hours on end. But walk away with it sitting doing nothing for a few hours and Bingo!

I have tried 2 different power adapters for this laptop and used both on another toshiba as well without any problems.

Has anyone out there had a similar issue, or an idea what might be causing the sporadic "blackout" or what the code (if any) is that the flashing yellow power light signifies?

Much appreciated.

Chris Sellick Aug 14, 2005, 07:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 14, 2005, 07:42am EDT

Yeah ive noticed the same problem,

My toshiba A30 has been sent back twice within 2years and i think its now beyound repair im sending it back for the 3rd time in 2 days and if its not fixed the problem which im sure they wont be able to curry's are going to refund me my money back.

Im an IT administrator myself and cant figure out the cpu usage causing this to crash.

The method of cleaning the cpu and reseating it only works for about a 2 weeks with me.

My advice to anyone who has one is to sell it on as the A30 is a badly designed laptop. My reason for this is i feel there is not enough ventalation to run/ deal with 2.60ghz of processor

joss evans Aug 18, 2005, 02:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been experiencing this problem and I have found that sticking the end of a vacuum cleaner extension over the fan has solved my problem (for now). I have just done my first virus scan for ages. Try it!

John O'Shea Aug 20, 2005, 04:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an A75-S211, I upgraded it 1GIG of Mem, I like to play 3D games, and I have tried old ones and newer ones, after 45mins or so, my laptop shuts down, and I am using a Cool pad under my machine, I will bring this back to comp usa next week, but it's kind of hard as I receive my daily work schedules via email.

kapil goel Aug 23, 2005, 12:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a satellite M35-S359 and it is having a shut down problem. It started by error message" cooling system in error, please shut down your system and send for repair" or something like that. Then the screen just went blank and nothing thereafter. Doesnt even boot up. But once, it just started, ran fine and then again just went blank. I am sure there in no problem with processor or something big, but toshiba ppl said replace system board. Only the blue light of power is on and thats it. hardware does not even boot up. I wanted to open the laptop to clean heat sink, as i have been reading but my model does not have direct access to heat sink/cpu. Any suggetions.

Sam Thompson Aug 25, 2005, 04:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Send it to someone other than Toshiba, theyll just bullshit. Theres something wrong with your RAM or somesuch, i had EXACTLY the same problem.

Navnit Belur Aug 26, 2005, 03:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is a step by step procedure for cleaning the heatsink of a Toshiba A75 series Satellite notebook. Yes, most of the random shutting down problems associated with this and other Toshiba models is due to dust build up on the heatsink obstructing the fan air flow to the outside, and subsequent overheating of the CPU. However, unlike other posts in this discussion, the processor / heatsink area of the A75 satellite is not directly accessible. It requires total disassembly of the laptop. For this you will need a magnetized phillips (star) head screwdriver, and a flat screwdriver (used for prying up plastic along the way.) Here's an account of what I had to do to get to the heatsink of my A75:

1. Remove all visible screws from the bottom of the laptop.
2. Remove the battery and the two screws underneath the battery.
3. Remove the hard disk and unscrew one screw in this area.
4. Remove the DVD drive.
Note: at this point you will notice that the top of the computer won't come off near the back as has been the experience of a few others. Yes, there are more screws hidden.
5. Remove the keyboard bezel (the piece above the keyboard and underneath the lcd.) Notice tiny wedges above the F1, between F4/F5, F8, F12, and the windows keys of the keyboard. Pry them up using a flat screwdriver. Now you should be able to remove the bezel.
6. Aha! the two elusive F8 screws holding the back side of the computer are now visible! Unscrew them, and the top portion of the laptop is finally set free.
7. Unscrew the two screws holding down the lcd and unplug one of the wires (bus) from the lcd so that you can put the lcd aside.
8. Remove the top of the computer taking care of any of the wires. (speaker wires need to be disconnected.) Make sure you have an idea of where each wire goes, but there's no need to worry - it's pretty obvious if you think about it.
9. Now you see the top of the motherboard. The processor / heatsink is underneath this on the top right side. Remove the screws holding down the motherboard down, and the four smaller screws holding up the two fans.
10. You need to now flip over the motherboard to get underneath to the processor and heatsink. You'll need to remove the serial / parallel port screws in the back of computer to do a clean job (I didn't - I just used brute force to flip over the mother board.) Just pull the plastic on the left outward so that the release button of pcmcia slot can get in, and the plastic on the right side so that you can pull in the mother board at the volume control knob, and other switches etc. At this point, you should be able to flip over the mother board enough to get to the fans, processor and heatsink.
11. Remove the fans and give them a thorough cleaning (make sure you know where the fan connections go.)
12. Remove the four screws set in springs connecting the heatsink to the processor. You should be able to remove the heatsink now. Remove all the dust by what ever method you seem fit. Just make sure the laptop is pretty clean in this area at this point. You should be able to get air through the heatsink with out any obstructions. On my laptop the heatsink was covered with a blanket of dust trapping the heat inside leading to all those frustrating shut downs.
13. Replace the heatsink, and work your way back to assemble the entire laptop.

Relax, and put your computer to the test by using computationally intensive programs, multitask, and remember the good old days when you just got this computer. :)

TW Henry Aug 31, 2005, 08:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've made it this far....

My A75-S209 shutsdown when it gets warm. Got it right before XMAS 2004 and used it daily and more.

I can see both fans have a small amount of dust on them and the warmer it is the quicker it shuts down.... I live in Florida, so I know it is not a static problem.... that and it just shuts down all the way. Quick and with no notice....

So, I figured I would get out my new can of spray air or whatever they call it and take apart my laptop. Use the air and clean up the fans and heatsinks.... and whatever else was in the path...

Ran into a snag. After removing all the screws in the case I could find along with the battery, hard drive and cd/dvd player. I gingerly ran a screwdriver around the edge of the silver peice and most of it releases, but not all of it. And the laptop will not come apart.

Could anyone who has done this please help me by posting how to do it.... and what to expect...

I don't want to break it by doing something wrong in disassembly.... I have searched the web for several hours attempting to find info on how to do it, no luck.

Thanks in advance

TW Henry Aug 31, 2005, 08:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If I had just looked a little closer... Navnit Belur has already posted what I needed.. I did a search on A75-S209 and not just A75, that will teach me to work on my computer in the daytime, not a 4 AM inbetween shutdowns... using only my shutting down laptop...

I will do it this today and post my outcome... when finished and a followup hopefully of a working computer...

Thanks

J T Aug 31, 2005, 04:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Tohiba Satelite 1905-S303 that won't power up at all...dead! I'm wondering if it's the external power supply (which I have no way of testing) or the system itself. Anyone else have this same problem?

Also, if service is needed, what's a good source for repair that's honest and reliable? I'm in the Southern California area but I could ship it anywhere, within reason.

Thanks,

JT

Carolyn Breninger Sep 12, 2005, 01:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This seemed the likely place to post this request for help.

My husband has a 1955-s803 that is almost 3 years old. It has been a serviceable machine except for replacing the harddrive twice (so far), due to what I am certain was the overheating problem. We are now experiencing a different problem - the display blacks out with increasing frequency, now every 10 to 20 seconds - and you can prompt it back on by pushing down on the pin next to the power button that the display closes on. I have tried removing the Toshiba power utility software, which did not solve the problem.
I thought it might be a video driver problem, but we hooked up an external monitor and that display works fine, while the laptop display still blacks out. Now I'm thinking there is a sensor problem.

So my questions are - has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have any idea what the solution might be? It is under an extended warranty, but we lose the use of it for at least two weeks every time we take it in to be serviced.

We gratefully accept any help.
Thanks in advance,
Carolyn

Alan Taylor Sep 17, 2005, 01:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had this problem with my Toshiba Satellite A30 for the last 9 months- had been meaning to take it to a repairer for ages - now out of warranty - as a last ditch solutiion I ran the hose of my Dyson vacuum cleaner over the fans on the bottom and the outlet at the back - this solved my problem without needing to open the machine up! at your own risk of course as you will need to be careful not to suck out some component! the machine now runs much quieter too!

Dan Rivett Sep 18, 2005, 09:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My daughter seems to have a similar problem with a Toshiba A70 I bought her in the spring, she is 200 miles away so i was trying to fix this over the phone. The mouse touch pad is frozen up. After reading all your postings I had her shut down the computer, cool off and without touching the body of the computer start it back up and it worked. Allison like myself and i gusee everybody rests their wrists on the body of the computer right over the speakers, is this where the static could build up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to counter this problem. I dont have time to take on Toshiba right now. Trying to help my college daughter Dan

John Smith Sep 22, 2005, 11:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 22, 2005, 11:25am EDT

I followed Navnit's tips for opening and cleaning my satellite A75 and they have worked almost perfectly. First, I must say that my overheating problems are clearly gone, the fan is barely audible now, as opposed to the non-stopping roar of before. When I aseembled it back together though, my mousepad would not work. I dont know what happened, maybe I was too rough on the cable that connects the mousepad to the computer. Everything else works just fine and the loss of the mousepad is not very important, but if anyone knows if it is doable to buy a replacement cable and fix it myself or if it is cheap to get it repaired, please tell me.

Again, thanks to Navnit.

dave k Sep 22, 2005, 08:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have been having trouble disassembling my A75-S206. i unscrew all the screws from the bottom, what i dont understand in Navnit Belur's explanation is how to remove the DVD drive and the hard disk. also once i get all the screws off the bottom and the ones out from under the LCD, i can get all the silver part off except for by the DVD drive, is this because i dont have the DVD drive removed?

please help and thank you

(if u post how to do this, please send a copy to my email if possible.....bigdada52211@hotmail.com [also please add a subject in email or it will be filtered into my junk mail] )

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.