Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1061 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 09:27pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
dave k Sep 23, 2005, 04:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
never mind.. i fixed it, just needs alittle brain power, and let me say after i cleaned the fans and heatsink... its runniin great

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
hip hop Sep 25, 2005, 09:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not sure wether my problem is related to the thread or not. In a way at least, it is.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2410 laptop and a boot problem now, but don't think is related to overheating as I have already cleaned it all and kept it off for a long while to let it cool down and it DOES start, but HANGS right after loading the OS (both, Win XP, and Debian Linux). So, it's not an OS problem, I believe.

I can boot with a win98 boot floppy disk, anyway. Software related? BIOS? HD? More info at
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/49265/

Any idea? Thanx in advance,
hip

Yuval Fisher Sep 25, 2005, 05:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Navnit Belur's message was excellent. Thanks Navnit. It gave me the impetus to open up my own Toshiba Satelite A75-S229. It shuts down spontaneously now and then, and the fan was running at full speed.

I opened the case, per his instructions, and cleaned a ton of dust out of the copper heat sinks. I have a few comments which might be useful to others.

First, on my laptop, it might have been possible to blow out the dust with high pressure air directed into the two copper heatsinks from the back. I didn't try this, but I suspect that if the lap top were off (so as to not fight the pressure created by the fans) and if the wireless access access was open (it's in the middle of the back) to allow the gunk to get out, then a strong air flow might have been sufficient to free up the heat sinks. Next time (and there will be a next time soon, clearly), I'll try that first.

Second, Navnit's steps were a bit terse, and I had difficulty in a few spots. I repeat them here with my comments added:

1. Remove all visible screws from the bottom of the laptop.
2. Remove the battery and the two screws underneath the battery.
3. Remove the hard disk and unscrew one screw in this area.

I had no screw here.

4. Remove the DVD drive.
Note: at this point you will notice that the top of the computer won't come off near the back as has been the experience of a few others. Yes, there are more screws hidden.
5. Remove the keyboard bezel (the piece above the keyboard and underneath the lcd.) Notice tiny wedges above the F1, between F4/F5, F8, F12, and the windows keys of the keyboard. Pry them up using a flat screwdriver. Now you should be able to remove the bezel.

To remove the bezel easily, tilt the screen as far back as it will go. loosen the bezel at its sides by
gently prying a screw driver in the cracks on the side of the bezel. The bezel will tilt forward (toward the kb)
pretty easily. It takes a bit of force, though, to disengage the plastic tabs that hold it in place after it tilts.

6. Aha! the two elusive F8 screws holding the back side of the computer are now visible! Unscrew them, and the top portion of the laptop is finally set free.
7. Unscrew the two screws holding down the lcd and unplug one of the wires (bus) from the lcd so that you can put the lcd aside.

I left the LCD connected, and it didn't make things any more difficult.

8. Remove the top of the computer taking care of any of the wires. (speaker wires need to be disconnected.) Make sure you have an idea of where each wire goes, but there's no need to worry - it's pretty obvious if you think about it.

This is where my satelite must be different. I had to unscrew to F3 screws at the top of the keyboard.
The keyboard then tilts out. You have to then disconnect the KB ribbon by pushing two little tabs next to
where the ribbon connects forward. The tabs are at the side of the ribbon connector.
The two speaker connectors can be disconnect after the KB is lifted out as well. There's also a smaller
ribbon for the touchpad. It is disconnected the same way as the KB ribbon.

9. Now you see the top of the motherboard. The processor / heatsink is underneath this on the top right side. Remove the screws holding down the motherboard down, and the four smaller screws holding up the two fans.
10. You need to now flip over the motherboard to get underneath to the processor and heatsink. You'll need to remove the serial / parallel port screws in the back of computer to do a clean job (I didn't - I just used brute force to flip over the mother board.) Just pull the plastic on the left outward so that the release button of pcmcia slot can get in, and the plastic on the right side so that you can pull in the mother board at the volume control knob, and other switches etc. At this point, you should be able to flip over the mother board enough to get to the fans, processor and heatsink.

On my laptop, not removing the serial port screws was not an option (they are not normal screws, actually.. they are screws with heads that are nuts. You have to remove them with pliers or a small wrench).
After I removed these, I could turn over the motherboard.

11. Remove the fans and give them a thorough cleaning (make sure you know where the fan connections go.)

A toothbrush worked well to clean all the fans and the heat sinks.

12. Remove the four screws set in springs connecting the heatsink to the processor. You should be able to remove the heatsink now. Remove all the dust by what ever method you seem fit. Just make sure the laptop is pretty clean in this area at this point. You should be able to get air through the heatsink with out any obstructions. On my laptop the heatsink was covered with a blanket of dust trapping the heat inside leading to all those frustrating shut downs.

I didn't have to remove the heatsink from the processor.... a toothbrush was enough to dislodge all the
dust muck.

13. Replace the heatsink, and work your way back to assemble the entire laptop.

After this procedure, my laptop runs as it once did... no more vacuum-cleaner-city!

Adam Bennett Sep 27, 2005, 03:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am not a techno-junkie, but I seem to have this same overheating/shutdown problem as the rest of you.

And as a result, I took the low-tech approach to a solution: I placed a deck of cards under each of the back legs of the laptop. This created more space underneath, allowing for more better airflow. Not only hasn't my machine shut down since, I've grown to like the "tipped" position of the laptop/keyboard better. It seems more natural.

Yes, the shutdown issues sucks and should NOT be a problem. But my solution seems to do the trick if you use your laptop as a desktop replacement, especially for those non-tekkie types that are afraid they wouldn't be able to put their machine back together again...

Yuval Fisher Sep 28, 2005, 02:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The tilted laptop thing will work for a while... Eventually, you'll get enough stuff in your heatsinks that even this wont be enough. At least, that was my experience.

Sam Thompson Sep 30, 2005, 02:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Heh, nice, i suggested the tilted laptop thing Aggeeeessss ago, but with a tape, case thing. But to make sure Dust doesnt collect you can put a minature desk fan next to it, it keeps the hard drive cool and also blows away any dust. worked for me ;)
(dont rip apart your $2000 laptop for the sake of a fast or noisy fan, coz if you stuff it youll regret it for ever)

John c Oct 01, 2005, 01:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I went and bought 4 small drawer pulls and used double sided tape to attach them to the bottom the computer. Works great for cooling and doesn't suck up any dust on the desk surface.

Ramon Alejandro Berrones Cruz Oct 01, 2005, 10:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same Heat Problem with my LAPTOP Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301, However I get some Field Service Manuals of some Thoshiba Models that explain how is the correct form to open them. Right now I open my LAPTOP Completly and I clean all the dust inside. I tryed to put them here by I couldn't... If anyone need a manual, send me an email.

Best regards

Sam Thompson Oct 03, 2005, 06:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
YAHHHH!!! make sure you use a desk fan, i dont want to be a loner here :P

Maxine Tober Oct 03, 2005, 09:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for all your posts. I've had this machine for three years with no problems until now. I get the shutdown when attempting to do a virus scan, and mostly in OE. I did try blowing it out with a cold hairdryer, and then also using a vacum as well. That seemed to help a bit, as the noisy blower isn't coming on as much, but if I leave the system alone for 1/2 hour, it will shut down.

At any rate, it makes a great deal of sense that any system needs to be cleaned out every now and then. Have you ever looked inside a desktop after a few years? Yuck. I've been cleaning the bottom intake screen on this machine, with a toothbrush consistantly over the years of use - so it's taken me three years to get to the shut down stage.

Jim Malmberg Oct 04, 2005, 10:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba A75-S206 that is a little over a year old. Right after I got it, I started having problems with it overheating. Toshiba replaced it once and rebuilt it another time. Since the last rebuild, I've found that using a vacuum on the fans pretty well keeps it cool but now I have a new problem.

The connector pin for the power cord has come loose. As a result, the machine will only charge if I put pressure on the power cord. I took the machine down to a local shop. They want a week and three hundred bucks to fix it. I really don't want to spend any more money on this computer. At this point, it just feels like Toshiba makes you throw good money after bad.

Does anybody know how difficult it would be to disassemble the PC and solder the pin back on? If I follow Francisco’s disassembly instructions, will I be able to access the point that the pin connects with the motherboard?

Please let me know.

Jim

Max K Oct 05, 2005, 10:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TO EVERYONE: Guys! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN HOW MUCH DUST THERE IS near the fan of the laptop that overheats???? The cold air will not help you to remove it!!!! ONLY disassembling the laptop and physically (WITH YOUR HANDS) removing all this dust would help to stop overheating. ALSO you would need to apply some of the NEW thermal compound on the processor to help get the heat out of it. I do not try to get new clients but believe me - you will not blow away such a pack of pressed hair and dust that blocks the radiator!

To Jim: Please read my post here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/49691/

--
Send me a private message if you need your laptop repaired! Low prices, high quality!
Maxine Tober Oct 05, 2005, 04:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I didn't mean to imply that blowing it out fixed everything, but yesterday, I had only two shutdowns, and as long as I don't leave it on when I step away, it stays up. Much better than before.

BTW - I found a few hardware repair folks on Craigslist, that appear very reasonable. I'm still debating taking the thing apart myself, as I'm pretty handy - but I'm going to wait until my new Laptop arrives. Seems to me, they ought to design the system so that you can get at the fan sink without having to do so much dissembly. WHat the heck - I've been taking computers apart for 20 years - yeap - that predates most laptops.

Maxine

Guy Incognito Oct 07, 2005, 12:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same heat problem with my A70-S256 notebook and would to thank everyone who replied to this thread, there is a lot of good info in here. I've already raised up the back of the notebook and I'm using a deskfan to help cool it, but I still get the random shutdowns. I am going to try cleaning it out this weekend. I'm trying to find a more permenant solution however. My question is, is there anyway to buy more powerful fans of the same size that would provide better cooling of the CPU? Also, a friend of mine has the neat thermal pad that when connected to a battery, on side gets really cold and the other side gets really hot. I was thinking that there might be a way to hook this up to the power supply to provide better cooling, but I really don't know if it would sufficiently solve the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Corrine Stromberg Oct 11, 2005, 08:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys,

I have had my 1415-s115 for about 2 years now with no problems at all. Actually I love it. Love it so much I spilt soda on it last week. (Yes, I know that is the ultimate worse thing to do, and under normal circumstances it would never have happened, and under normal circumstances I would have not chanced running it past the spill.) To the point, the computer told me it was overheateing and needed to shut down. I felt the fan and it was not blowing. Because windows was taking too long to shut down, I pulled the battery and unplugged the power cord. Since then, I have opened my computer, cleaned out all of the soda. All I get is the led blinking orange at me similar to the previous posts. I have cleaned out my fan and heat sink. I have tried the vacuum to get the fan moving. My question here is, does anyone know if I should try buying a new fan first, or just skip to a new motherboard? Trying to save time and money. I don't know if the fan has a saftey override that might be keeping the computer from starting, or if it is the motherboard. Any info is appreciated:)

Not normally so blonde:) Corrine

A J Oct 12, 2005, 11:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You with A70 and A75s... lucky ones... Toshiba is doing free repairs on them and a partial recall on other models... check out their website or call them for details 1-800-524-8338!

However... I am one of the unlucky lot who has a 1905-S301... and just had a VERY RUDE toshiba person tell me that even though I'm having the exact same shutdown problems, mine doesn't qualify :( Mine started shutting down after 3-10 minutes about 1.5 years ago... 3 DAYS AFTER MY WARRENTY EXPIRED!! I really think it's a conspiracy of some sort... I want to cry. The complexity of the task doesn't seem to make a difference... sometimes it lasts 30 minutes... but last night only 3... then blacks out.

I have called Toshiba several times over the years about this problem hoping that a recall would come up, and always got the same NO response. Today I found out that my complaints were never even recorded!!! The toshiba person told me that there is a very formal procedure for filing such a complaint and I would have to call a different phone number... so when they claim that no one else with your model is having this problem, DON'T BELIEVE THEM... they conveniently DO NOT DOCUMENT problems unless you make a formal complaint, the process for which they are VERY TIGHT LIPPED about. She only told me this after I talked to her for 10 minutes and had to drag it out of her. Then she told me that even if thousands of people complain, if their engineers do not find a system source for the problem, they will not order a recall, so complaints do not drive their recall process. GREAT customer service huh?

I tried everything you all suggested... took the whole thing apart, wiped it out, used compressed air (yes there was a lot of dust in there), successfully got it back together... and EXACTLY the same problems. I have elevated it, tried a fan... no go.

It is completely useless to me. I think it might be cheaper just to buy a new NOT TOSHIBA laptop? My question: Has anyone taken theirs to a service center for this problem, shelled out the dough, and had it successfully repaired? How much did it cost? This info would help me decide a lot. :)

Sam Thompson Oct 12, 2005, 10:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i got my job done on warranty so this wont help, but the useless techies replaced he whole motherbord and ram and its working fine.

Corrine Stromberg Oct 13, 2005, 06:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone know what the post code, long-short-long-short-long-short-long-short is?
Thanks!

Corrine Stromberg Oct 13, 2005, 02:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
AJ

Don't know if this will help, but I did find info on the Toshiba site with new BIOS downloads. Also, I have found other forums regarding the blinking leds, or rather post codes. Might look around to see what you find. I have heard the obvious response of the power cord and battery. But also about vidoe drivers, keyboards, external UBS port/drivers causing problems. I don't know what your code is, but there are plenty of people giving their codes and people helping them out. Just wish I could find the error behind my code:) Good luck!
Corrine

YukonKev Oct 22, 2005, 04:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Reading through this has made my day, I had been suffering random shutdowns on my Satellite 1900OFS for over a year (once the laptop was about two years old). I had suspected it was heating up, but although I took it apart, the #6 torx kept me from getting right to the heatsink. I had used compressed air, a vacuum, etc. and thought I had cleaned it out well, but the problem remained. I ended up buying a new laptop (NOT a Toshiba) and gave the Satellite to my son, which of course only frustrated him...bad idea.
After reading this thread, I took another look at it, and not being able to find a #6 torx in my town, I drilled out the screws, removed the tin plate covering the heatsink (carefully! and I didn't replace the tin plate) and lo and behold, there was this monster dust bunny about a half inch thick blocking pretty much ALL the airflow to the fan. I cleaned this up, managed to remove the drilled out screws, replaced the cover with STANDARD screws instead of the torx (so I can clean it easily in the future), and turned it back on.
I then ran the most hardcore CPU heatup and Whestone tests I could find on it, and it came through with flying colours!! The fan is quieter, the pc works faster, and my five year old will be happy to have his machine running well again... :)
Thanks much to all who have posted this very helpful info!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.