Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1448 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 01:04am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Luciano M. Nov 09, 2005, 10:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
If you want Toshiba Maintenance Manuals (including error codes, etc), look the post:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/51345/

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Corrine Stromberg Nov 09, 2005, 01:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Greatly appreciate the help. I missed the prior post. Thanks a bunch:) Corrine

Cam Rad Nov 17, 2005, 09:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This has been a pretty useful thread.
I've tried the above link to find a manual for a Satellite 1900, with no luck.
Does anyone have a service manual for this series of laptop? Specifically its a model PS192C-00824 (Canadian version)
Thanks...

A K Dec 01, 2005, 06:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been having these same problems with Satellite 3005-5303
any help with this?

d e Dec 04, 2005, 04:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
guys, i have your official answer. after suffering for about a year with the overheating problem, i basically deduced that it was because of clogged heatsinks. i was too scared to take apart this badboy to fix it, but found it wasnt as bad as i thought. if you can work on any computer, you will be able to do this. here is the link i used, and i has instructions for taking apart numerous toshiba laptops. btw, mine runs nice and quiet now :)....used to be loud as hell with fans running all the time.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/index.htm

follow these instructions for your laptop model, until you can easily get to the heatsink and remove it to clean. some are much easier than others...mine was a satellite a75 that required me to disassemble the ENTIRE thing before i could get to anything i needed. good luck guys!

Loren Albrecht Dec 08, 2005, 11:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow I am also having the same problems. I am beginning to hate this computer (A70)!!, I dont know what to do! There is a petition to have Toshiba recall the Satellites at http://www.petitiononline.com/A70/petition.html, but it doesnt seem to be registering my petition signing.. weird...
I was fond of this laptop until it began to f**k up in everyway possible. I am insulted on the denial of the problem and lack of action on toshiba's part on this issue. I never wanted a computer that would shut down every half an hour, or even by multitasking slightly or watching a video file. And after reading thousands of message board posts by disatisfied costumers of the Toshiba Satellite A70, I cannot do anything but claim that the Toshiba Satellite is a PIECE OFs**t. and definatlly the last toshiba I will ever waste money on.

Dan Nad Dec 16, 2005, 04:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's a love hate relationship.. it really is

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Dec 17, 2005, 09:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well it seems toshiba is hiding skeletons in the closet for this laptop, they probably knew about the flaws and released the POS laptops on the world anyway without analyzing the problems and rebuilding it. i would suggest boycott on Toshiba laptops.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Tim Cayer Dec 18, 2005, 07:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,
Does misery love company?
I have a Toshiba P25 S670 which seems to have the same problem many of you here have, sudden shutdown with no warning.
Here is what I am experiencing. I have 3 indicator (not sure the technical term for them) lights in the front. Green- power cord, blue- power on, Red/Green (red when charging, green when fully charged) - battery charge.

The first few times the laptop just shut down without warning while I was in the middle of something. After this happened a few times I thought I was just losing power. But then asked myself why wouldn’t the battery just take over if the power got disconnected. I quickly learned it would, if it was fully charged. One time I happened to have the volume turned up and noticed that the low battery warning would beep to let me know the battery was getting low. That would be my key. It would get my attention directed to the lights up front where I’d notice that the battery charge light (red/green) was completely off. Checking all my power supply connections I could get it to start charging again if I unplugged and re-plugged it directly from the back of the laptop. This works every time. But you must completely unplug and re-plug it. Sometimes it takes several attempts before it reconnects and starts charging again. The problem is it will keep disconnecting itself without warning. If the volume is turned down and I don’t notice it the laptop just shuts off without warning and of course I lose everything I am doing.

Now what is interesting is that if I remove the battery from the laptop it will still shut down without warning. I did notice that if I am really pounding on the CPU running many apps it seems to shut down more then if the laptop is just sitting there with little or nothing running. Upon noticing this I immediately thought heating/cooling issue. But what exactly? The fan? The CPU? Coming to this forum I am now thinking I may be on the right track.

All I know is that I paid just over $2500.00 for this thing a year and a half ago and the video board crapped out which was under warranty, thankfully. And now this issue which is not under warranty. I am not really impressed with quality. But I really like the features of laptop in general. Toshiba support, well lets just say what support?

I didn’t want to just start ripping into this thing without some idea of what I was after. After reading this string of complaints here I am feeling more confident that I may have found my problem. I was thinking I might try taking it apart to clean it. Now I know I have to at least try it.

Thanks

Alessio Solouki Dec 27, 2005, 01:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My notebook Satellite P20-311 has the same problem!!!
Of course it is out of warranty...
Without battery it shutdown random and with battery the orange/green led on the right will go off and the battery discharge, when reach 0% of capacity it died!!
I think that Toshiba Satellite are verys**t notebook. Very verys**t.
I have tried to order a new ac adapter here:
http://cgi.ebay.it/Original-Toshiba-OEM-PA3290E-1ACA-19V-6-3A-...dZViewItem

but I have little hopes that this will resolve the problem...
I have also tried to dismount completely the note and I have looked the mainborad for bad weldings or other strange things but seems all ok in the mainboard...
Now I will wait the new AC adapter with many hope..!

Anyone has find a solution here??

Bye bye

p.s.: never more a Toshiba product, never, never, never! Verys**t

Alessio Solouki Dec 27, 2005, 01:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same problem in the review here:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Ti-DvBujKrsJ:http://www.a...&hl=it

are incredible the many paople that's have the same problem... shutdown or discharge battery... incredible... Toshiba produces from many (many many!!) years notebooks with the same problem!!!
A lot of satellite family and model have the same problem...
That is not possible in a normal world...
Don't buy Toshiba anymore...

Roxx R Jan 04, 2006, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Toshiba Satellite A70, A75, M30X, and M35X notebook computers have an alleged defect that causes the computer to lock up and reboot when touched, which renders the computer essentially useless.

Green Welling has filed a class action lawsuit against Toshiba America Information Systems on behalf of all persons and entities who have owned an A70, A75, M30X, and/or M35X Toshiba notebook computer during the last four years, and a subclass of all such persons or entities who purchased an extended warranty from Toshiba with regard to the specified notebook computers.

According to the lawsuit, consumers’ notebook computers generate static electricity that causes the computers to lock up and reboot when touched causing loss of time and data and damage to other hardware components.

The complaint alleges that Toshiba concealed the defective nature of these notebooks from consumers. Toshiba issued a Support Bulletin on its website, where Defendant's "fix" for the defective computers is advising owners of the A70,A75, M30X, and M35X computers to ship their notebooks to a Toshiba Notebook Depot, or a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider for testing. Repairs performed by Defendant have failed to provide a permanent fix to the defect, however.

The complaint alleges that Toshiba: (1) is in violation of the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act; (2) Toshiba is in violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law; and (3) Toshiba is in breach of the express warranty for the notebook computers. The plaintiff seeks an injunction and other equitable relief as well as damages arising out of the defective notebook computer.

The plaintiff is also sending a letter to Toshiba requesting that Toshiba provide a remedy to the persons and/or entities that have been damaged by Toshiba’s conduct.

If you have experienced this problem with your Toshiba notebook computer, or would like more information about the lawsuit, please contact us at 415-477-6700 or e-mail us at gw@classcounsel.com.

cj 2600 Jan 04, 2006, 03:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Toshiba laptop overheating is a very common problem. In most cases it's very easy to fix, if you clean the heatsink, CPU fan and apply new thermal grease on the CPU.
Here you can find Toshiba laptop teardown guides: http://www.irisvista.com
Here I posted some pictures showing clogged heatsinks :) http://www.laptoprepairguy.com/laptop/2006/01/04/toshiba-lapto...erheating/

Fix it yourself!

A J Jan 04, 2006, 06:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Roxx R,
Any chance those of us with the ancestors of the A70 and A75 could be included (I have a 1905-S301)?

My understanding is that the 1905 is on the same platform as the A70 and A75... and I have exactly the same problems as those listed. It seems a flaw in the system that because Toshiba admitted problems in the A70 and A75 but didn't fix them well enough that they are the only ones included. That is similar to what their tech person told me - unless one of THEIR engineers found a systematic flaw in my series, then they would not fix it. After only 1.5 years of use, it now sits in my office useless (I have since bought a thinkpad that I love but have files on the Toshiba I need - I can't keep it running long enough to retrieve them)... I keep hoping I can get in on a suit and get some of my money back!

Thank you CJ 2600 - but I already tore mine down, cleaned it out, put new gel on - all textbook... got it back together and it starts fine... so I know I did it right... but it keeps shutting down.

I would appreciate any advice on possible recourse.

Roxx R Jan 04, 2006, 06:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would at least ask them. Call 415-477-6700 and ask. The worst they can say is no. The firm was aware of other Toshiba laptop lawsuits.

In my research, I have learned from former salesman that Toshiba's reliability for all of their products is not what it used to be. In fact, several have quit carrying Toshiba products at all. I doubt I'll ever buy another Toshiba product. I figure I have a 1200.00 boat anchor.

Roxx R Jan 04, 2006, 06:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
cj 2600 it is not an overheating problem, it is a defective design.

Charley Staats Jan 04, 2006, 08:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Its only due to overheating . It usually happened to my A75-s2762 when working over the bed or similar stuffs that difficults the fan opperation!

Charley

Roxx R Jan 04, 2006, 08:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wish mine had been that easy. I keep mine on a board, and after the first time, I tried to run it limited times and made sure it was cool. Didn't seem to help.

Ramon Garcia Jan 04, 2006, 11:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a satellite 2435-S255 and it has the same heating problem since long time ago, which keeps me opening and cleaning it from time to time, but in the last 6 months I started to have the problem of shutting down again this time not being an overheating problem but the ac adapter pin in the motherboard which is about to collapse... It seems that's what it keeps the led, which indicates the battery is charging, turning on and off randomly...
What I do and maybe could also help you, is to take out the battery of the laptop and only use the ac-adapter, I don't know why, but that helps in my case to avoid the shutdowns, hope it may help you...

Roxx R Jan 05, 2006, 08:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ramon Garcia, thanks, I'll try it, when it gets back from Toshiba.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.