Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1489 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 12:04pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
CJ Jan 05, 2006, 08:52am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
I have the 1905-S301 model like A J. Mine had the same shutdown problem, but luckily it's a company laptop so I didn't have to pay repair costs. It probably wasn't cheap to repair. But they said the main problem was the CMOS battery, the clock battery!!! So they changed it....and they might have cleaned the fan also. Toshiba is a terrible company with bad support and service. They charge too much for their laptops and screw you over. I had even suspected it was the CMOS battery so I called Toshiba to order one.....the guy had no idea what it was! He's like...a clock battery...what's that? Isn't he supposed to know that? It needs to be changed every 2-3 years for the computer to properly function....it can cause random shutdowns, settings not to be saved, and of course the clock. So I'd suggest to never buy a Toshiba.....cause it wont last long. I know a guy who spent $2,500 on a new Toshiba and it's having the shutdown problem....after only 2 months!!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tim Cayer Jan 05, 2006, 10:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I do not think the problem I am experiencing with my P25 S670 is heat related due to clogged heat sink. I already cleaned the heat sink and the problem persists. Maybe another heating problem with the CPU or ?? I say that only because it does seem that the problem gets worse the more apps I run. I have also checked the AC connection and do not think it is loose. I say that because the no charge problem I am getting does not go away by simply “wiggling” the AC cord. The only way I can get it to start charging again is to unplug and re-plug it from the back. Sometimes it takes many attempts. But if I do it enough I eventually can get it to start charging again for a little while.

It was suggested I change the battery because it has to have a good battery in order for it to run on AC. I have not yet replaced it, but I am starting to doubt it is that. The P25 S670 has a TV tuner that goes in place of the battery. So I assume it must be designed to run without a battery in place. But yet if I remove the battery and try to boot up it will turn off before finishing. So that tells me it won’t run off AC alone.

Again here is what I experience. If you can see the picture http://home.comcast.net/~motomech10/utility-mng.gif you will see that it says “Current Power Source AC” But then below it says “On Line Discharging”. That IS my problem. If I do not watch the charging light up front to make sure it stays on, eventually it will discharge the battery and shut off. Even with the AC cord plugged in and the Battery Power Meter telling me that it is running off AC. If I catch it in time I can try to unplug and re-plug (not wiggle) the AC cord and try to get it to start charging again. Sometimes that works other times it doesn’t.

Someone on this forum says to check the CMOS battery. Interestingly the system clock did go wacko for no apparent reason recently. I had to go in a resent the date and time. Not sure why that happened and it hasn’t happen again since.

After reading so many posts about how much trouble people are having with Toshiba, I would not recommend one to anyone. I feel bad enough talking my son into buying one. (A75) which he has and is having trouble with. And Toshiba support is non existent.

Live and learn.

PS I spent over $2500.00 on mine over a year and half ago and had to have the motherboard replaced once already. Luckily it was under warranty for that problem.

Roxx R Jan 05, 2006, 11:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tim Cayer,
I'm sorry to hear that your having so many problems. My A-70 has been in the shop three times, and I have owned it less than a year. Each time it has been in the shop for about a month. I know my problems are not related to dust as I am exteremly anal about the care of my laptop. I considered overheating and was very careful the last time to make sure it only ran a few hours and then had time to cool down. So I don't think that is it. The system clock idea is interesting, but doesn't seem to fit. Although I probably will try it. Once it is out of warrenty I will experiment more. Toshiba's support is horriable, and I will not buy another Toshiba product.
I think my next step is going to be to buy an exterenal hard drive, store all my information there. Then when the system goes down, at least I have my data. However, I do need a good working laptop. So, the big question I have now, is what kind of laptop does work? I sub-contract (I'm a Software Engineer) and the boss at my current contract job is having problems with his HP. Maybe a Dell?

Hugo Silva Jan 12, 2006, 10:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there,

I'm the decieved owner of a Toshiba Satelite A30-714 (PIV 3Ghz). About 2 years from now I bought the computer believing it was a great deal, however it turned out to beck a monster that sould have never be conceived in the first place, the more it sould be in the stores.

Even in desktops PIV's are known to be overheating furnaces however beeing Toshiba a weel know and reputed brand I ingeniously beleifed they've overcame that problem producing a well balanced laptop. The truth however is that they've done practicaly nothing about it and the result is steaming monster, with the cooling fans always working, that one has to deal with.

Nevertheless one ultimately gets used to it and plays along, however the laptop sudenly started to shutdown by itself in hevy processor load operation due to the overheat. First I tried soft measures such as removing the heatsink plastic cover, and also a Cooler Master's Notepal stand which has a full aluminium base with a couple of extra fans. This helps a bit, however it doesn't solve the problem since the computer still shutted down although less often.

Recently I've took the courage to extract the heatsink/CPU and discovered that the heatsink intakes were completly covered with cotton and fibers which blocked the normal air flow on the CPU. This worked pretty well since although the computer still heats up quite massively it doesn't shut down by itself anymore. The next step will be the thermal paste since the post's on that subject report major improvements.

However and despite of the progresses, the perfect solution for me will be a new laptop ASAP, and of course... no more Toshiba's!

Regards,
Hugo

Tim Cayer Jan 17, 2006, 01:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got Toshiba to agree to replace the motherboard even though it is 7 months out of warranty. But get this, I had to agree not to come back to them for any other issues. Talk about not having any confidence in their products. If they don’t have any confidence in their products why should anyone? Guess they don’t want any more of my business. Not that I would give them anymore after this. Not only that but I will never spend another penny on ANY Toshiba product ever again. And to think I was considering buying more Toshiba laptops for my company. I promise to do my best to stop anyone else from buying Toshiba products. And in my business I can influence many people. So not only are they losing me, they are potentially going to lose many future sales. And all for what? A problem which they could have remedied fairly easily. I don’t believe for a minute that they truly care about losing a few customers. But I will get some satisfaction knowing that for every person I get to buy something else means one less customer that will have to put up with Toshiba CRAP!

paul mcnarthy Jan 20, 2006, 01:52am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HEY! I have 1905-s303 Toshiba

I figured out the problem. Man i am telling you why are you guys getting so p**sed off about thiss**t?
Did you try the guys suggestion above?

Seriously for $5.99 go to some computer store and buy compressed air. Hose your fan and parts out from the outside. You will see dust just come out. Just hose away.

Hose the heatsink (you can see it on the side probably) i actually
Now my computer doesnt shutdown. Miracle? no man, its common sense. The reality is that TOSHIBA didnt design this laptop too well. Those shmucks put the fan intake (air coming INTO the computer) on the BOTTOM OF THE LAPTOP. Like how STUPID is that? so if you were to put your system on a dusty surface (almost all surfaces have SOME sort of DUST on them) then nothing but dust will get in. So what does that mean? it means that within months you will have accumulated pure dust on your fan/heatsink etc.

Solution: AIR HOSE IT OUT. takes like 20 seconds + 15 minutes effort to go buy the air hose.

Just think about it, and try it if you havent. Normally i woudlnt reply to this magnitude and sign up but I know how frustrated all of you might be thinking you have faulty hardware. Just try this and post if it worked.

Bye.

and good luck.

Ben Pierce Feb 06, 2006, 10:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There are actually 3 rather serious problems with the Toshiba:
1) Fan on the bottom promotes clogged heat sink. Fix already described.
2) Pad area where your hand rests is not properly grounded. They can fix this at the service centers by putting in something under the pad area. Otherwise you will get shutdowns from static electricity.
3) Bad engineering at the A/C plug. The area collapses after a time and constantly goes to battery.

I bought two of these because of the big bright screens and had the shutdowns as they neared the end of warranty. My wife's started out with the A/C problem. Mine started out with the static shutdown problem.

Toshiba knows about both of these and will fix within warranty period. We're about to find out whether they'll fix out of warranty period because my A/C problem just surfaced.

Shame on me! I should have chosen a well-engineered product rather than a big bright screen and a low price.

matthew coles Feb 07, 2006, 11:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dude believe me it's not the dust i have had mine sine may of last year it's had problems since day one and Toshiba has been absoluteley no help they just keep sending me to the repair shop . I know their just waiting for the warranty to run out so they don't have to be responsible for it at all any mor . i have contacted the attornet gerals office about this........write me if you want to know more there are others just like you !

Matt

paul mcnarthy Feb 07, 2006, 12:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey,

Listen, with regards to the attorney general etc, there is actualy a law firm SUEING Toshiba, or trying to. Maybe you can contact them as well and share your story.

What I did is actually bought mine through best buy, purchasesd the warranty.
THis way with 4 repairs, i get a free laptop. And then im going to get warranty on that too!

Really toshiba probably has a policy that if it messes up that many times you get another one..

Here is the link, contact them about it:
GREEN WELLING LLP
Tel: (415) 477-6700
Fax: (415) 477-6710
http://www.classcounsel.com
http://www.classcounsel.com/news/toshiba.html

GOOD LUCK!

Tim Cayer Feb 16, 2006, 07:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
UPDATE – As I posted earlier I got Toshiba to agree to replace the motherboard a second time even though the warranty expired. The repair center said they also thought the power supply was loose so they gave me a new one. So new mother board and power supply and everything good. Question now is how long before something else goes wrong?
Tim

Roxx R Feb 16, 2006, 09:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Time Lines
Don't hold your breath. They replaced the motherboard, the monitor and the hard drive on mine and it lasted 2 weeks.

Anonymous User Feb 18, 2006, 11:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hi all I am a user of toshiba satellite 1905 series.. and i was pleased with this laptop for 3 years..
I am writing here to get any information and if someone knows anything more specificly
about the shutdown/dust problem...

My laptop heatsink is clean.. It helped at first... but not for long.. (its not the a/c plug or static electricity problem neither) I have arctic silver 5 thermal compound.. (is this the best for this laptop???)... at first the
heatsink cleaning helped.. but for month or something it started shutting down.. I vacum cleaned it and
sprayd the air very very much.. and it helped.. like for a day finaly.. It became extra sencitive to dust..
i had to vacuum and spray the fan intake and heatsink out.. everyday.. I also took part the comp.. witch
was not easy, but thnx to a manual that i got from here i made it.. and removed the motherboard to
take the fan apart for cleaning... not much of anything there.. but it helped!!! for 3 days..:D:D:D
this is sick... then i thought that the fan was old.. it had about 3-4 years and after 3rd year it worked
with massive dust and hair in it so i bought a new fan for it (K000826010 product number) but that
helped me as much as i got a clean one..:D:D the old one had about 20 pieces of dust..

how has it become so extra sensitive for dust... must i change the heatsink.. (that looks like it hasnt got
anything wrong) It seams obvius that its the heat.. it shuts down on videos usually when i havent
vacuumed and sprayd it for 12 hours or something.... the first 3 years it worked with no cleaning..?!
and had a major dust buffalo in it.. that absolutely blocked the heatsink and still worked ..

Right now i am cleaning the desk that i have the laptop on constantly and i am afraid of any piece of dust that will go in the fan . I am desperate.. and have tried to fix this problem for 1 year now.. does somebody know something i dont know..
thnx..
my email:
pet@starline.ee

matthew coles Feb 18, 2006, 01:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes,
We could all ban together agaisnt this shoddie corporation for due compensation in class action suit? you thoughts?

Anonymous User Feb 18, 2006, 04:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
what will sueing make better... still waiting for a reply (for 2 posts up) if anyone has had the same anomalia..
and can tell something useful more then just "clean the beast up" :) thnx
pet@starline.ee

d g Mar 09, 2006, 04:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Folks,

This is getting ridiculous. I have one of the Toshiba laptop and I am having the same "shut down" problem. Additionally, I have a Compaq Presario laptop that just wouldn't boot up after two years. It died on me suddenly (not so suddend if I knew what symptoms to look for) over a weekend. Recently, I had to purchase an HP Pavilion laptop that DOA on me. Spent two hours with tech support to finally conclude that I need to rebuild the OS. I returned that one quickly. Two brands and three computers and all of them are having serious problems. I mean, where's the quality on these things. Besides, these aren't cheap laptops either with each running over 1000 dollar. What are we getting for the price we are paying ? It's frustrating and wasting a lot of our time. It's as thought we're doing the QA'ing!!! I think as consumers, we must demand better quality or we'll forever be facing these problems and my assumption is that it'll probably get worse! Maybe it's just my "bad luck!!" :)

"very frustrated" laptop consumer!!!

Michael Lee Mar 11, 2006, 04:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello All,

I got some help for this site so let me give back by sharing my experience. I have a Toshiba A75-s229 which like many other Toshiba has an overheating problem creating radom shut downs. After much research, I came to the conclusion that you have to (1) clean you computer of dust collect in the radiator like grills attached to the heat sink and (2) put Artic Silver three or five between your heat sink and cpu cover. This sound easy but I found out through much suffering that it is not easy to do. You will need picture illustration to take apart the Toshiba, get that here http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA75/satA75_1.htm and you will need instruction to properly apply Artic Silver, get that here http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm.
BE WARNED, SELF HELP IS NOT FOR EVERONE. YOU CAN DAMAGE YOU COMPUTER. But if you insist on trying this above is the best info you will find.

cheers

Ed Matthews Mar 15, 2006, 08:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just thought I'd add my recent experience to this REALLY old thread...

My wife had a Toshiba Satellite A20. It's a decent laptop. She was experiencing the shut down problems more and more frequently. Her laptop used to get extremely hot on the bottom and the fan would run at high speed for the smallest things. When we bought the computer this wasn’t the case. So what was causing this???

I decided I would try the least offensive thing first…update the BIOS which can be downloaded at the Toshiba website. The file downloaded is actually an image that needs to be placed on a floppy disk…that would be ok if the A20 came with a floppy drive, IT DOESN’T! Thanks for that Toshiba!

So, I decided I was gonna take that sucker apart! What’s the good of a laptop that shuts down every 10 minutes or less? If I broke it, I’d bring it somewhere to get it fixed…personally, I’m of the belief that I’ll try to fix it for free THEN bring it in if I can’t fix it (or break it :-P) To my pleasant surprise, I didn’t need to take the whole thing apart…there are A LOT of screws in the back of that thing. The fan has about 3 screws to take out to be able to lift off the cover. The fan is hooked up to a gold coloured thingy (heatsink???) When I lifted the fan away from the heatsink, there was a layer of dust almost 1cm thick! It looked like the kinda stuff you’d haul outta your lint dryer tray. I removed all the “lint”, put the cover back on… and haven’t had a problem since. The bottom of the computer doesn’t get hot like it used too…and the fan hasn’t come on in 5 days (maybe once for a few seconds).

So, this needs to be done as a regular maintenance issue with these laptops. Whether it fixes the shutdown problem or not…it needs to be done. So go get a screwdriver and clean that strip of dryer lint out before the laptop bursts in to flames!

Edweirdo (I feel your pain)

A J Mar 16, 2006, 11:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Ed,
Quick question - where do you live? High altitude or low? I took mine apart four times, put new gel on it even, vacuumed everything out... it didn't help at all. Then I was reading a website (darn wish I knew where now) that had the specs for Toshiba and the conditions under which they are supposed to work... and there are temperature AND altitude restrictions! I live at 5,500 feet, which was over the recommended altitude... somehow the thin air makes the fan less efficient? When I bought the computer and lived in Maryland and Oregon, it worked fine... the shutdowns actually corresponded with my moving to the mountains! So I'm toting around this new theory and p**sED that a machine could be made that wouldn't be "recommended" for many parts of the country! So... anyone out there at high altitude too? Geez :(

Ed Matthews Mar 16, 2006, 07:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm on the east coast of Canada, the most easterly point in North America, in the oldest city in North America. Not too high above sea level, probably around 40 or 50 meters (yards) above sea level.

I guess the fan is less efficient if the air is thinner, but if you get dust, it'll build up eventually. All the different suggestions people have been posting are actual problems. I'm just glad my problem was the easier of them to fix.

I really am surprised though at how much of a difference it made to the laptop. Its SOOO quiet in comparison to what it was. And still no shut downs. While it may not fix the shut down problem for everyone posting, I think it is necessary maintenance for everyone to do…probably at least once a year?

My wife uses a pillow to keep the hot laptop off her. I think that this may have increased the amount of "lint" build up since the pillow is made of wool. It directly blocks the fan and the material from the pillow will make its way inside.

But if cleaning the area between the fan and the heatsink doesn't work...try another of the many suggestions posted on this site.

Good Luck

Frank S Mar 23, 2006, 07:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm right there with you all. I bought a P25 a year and a half ago, and I bought the 3 year service warranty, that will cover you even for doing something stupid like tossing it in the toilet. Last week I was IR transfer a few files walked away for 15 minutes, came back and it was shut down, no lights. Did what most of you all have done, unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked. Then on Fri. I was charging it over night and the next morning the lights were on, had breakfast and they were off. I called Toshiba on Mon. and they refused to service it under the service contract and refused to transfer me to anyone higher. Now the interesting thing is that the power supply has always clicked, and it not only clicked at the unit but at the outlet as well; now the unit it self has a weird chirp to it. Here's the kicker, they discontinued the power supply and your can't order it. They have the same power supply but a smaller jack and it specifically says it won't work.

I've recommended Toshiba to multiple people over the years, and many people have bought becuase of me, NO MORE. Yet another company to add to my don't buy list.

Frank

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.