Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1304 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 08:56am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Michel Gallant Oct 04, 2004, 07:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
I would definitely bring it in for warrantee repair now. If you have continuous problems this early, and they can't fix it, you may be able to get a replacement. Could be anything wrong with it, heatsink not applied well with thermal paste, fans not working, faulty chips, anything. You never know, it could have been a display model and accumulated dust. I'd give it a memory test with http://www.memtest86.com/ to see if the ram is faulty, but definitely bring it in to get checked out on warranty

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Kishore Palle Oct 10, 2004, 01:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Upgrading XP PRO on Toshiba
Hey guys, My laptop won't shutdown anymore now. I changed the power settings to Max Performance method and it stopped shutting down. So far So good.

I have one more question. I wanna put XP Pro on my laptop. The default Operating system it came with is XP Home. An upgrade would do any bad !!??

Model I have is Toshiba Satellite A 75-S 206

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanx

Chris Randall Oct 12, 2004, 09:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 12, 2004, 09:47am EDT

I had the same problem with a clients machine and I ended up removing the fan housing and heatsink, cleaning it all out and reapplying thermal grease. It has worked perfectly ever since. Not sure if this will be the case for everyone but that is what did the trick for me. As it has been suggested in other posts, if you have a warranty use it. That's what it is there for. If they can't fix it they should be replacing it. Good luck to all.

london g Nov 01, 2004, 01:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba Satellite Shutdown: Fran Fernandez solution seems to work
Hi everyone:

I also have a Toshiba laptop who overheats and shuts down. It is a Toshiba 1955, one of those where you can take the keyboard off.
Bought it 15 months ago, not a problem and great performance until last august. Last August the operating system needed reinstalling, but I thought XP Home was to blame. Not so, I think it was a heating freeze that damaged some system files.

Just one week ago, the serious problems started happening: while running numerical programs for work it would shut down completely.
Toshiba assistance is non existent in London, England, where I am based. This is a city of 8 million people, but there is one repair center that is authorized and when I enquired all they could say was that it might be overheating - they probably know very well what it is but don't want to give away the complete design flaws of this machine.
Anyway, before taking it in, i decided to give a go to the suggestions of Fran Fernandez (see above).
I opened the heatsink and unscrewed the mini-radiatior that was fit over the processor.
The heatsink was loaded with dust, there was a thick blanket of it that I removed easily. I also 'vaccumed' the vent area with a compressed air spray.
Finally I cleaned the old cooling gel and reapplied a new one (abudantly).

PROBLEM: I could not screw the miniradiator back in (it is quite tough) - any issues with this ?
I just put it in position and locked the heatsink again, which hold the radiator tight in place. Up until now it seems fine. I manage to run antivirus and programs and it does not shut down. It is also faster I noticed. I don't know how long it will last, but I think it will need regular (monthly) cleaning.
I suppose we would all be entitled to free assistance from Toshiba, since it seems hundreds of people are having the problems. I even read some people have made a class action against Toshiba US. I am based in london but I would really enjoy giving these guys some trouble, so they'll learn a lesson.
If you have other suggestions about this issue let me know.

Daniel Lipsy Nov 01, 2004, 11:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You all are so helpful! Actually, I was unable to find any information about how to deal with it except here. What I found helpful and heartily recommend to you all is:
1) DON'T OPEN IT UP! I saw all the headache some of you had to deal with, and I decided to keep the laptop screwed shut.
2) The fan check is a good idea. I began to have such a problem that it would shut down after 5 minutes of running. Just listen when it is starting up, and see if the fan goes on right away. Mine didn't and that explained why it would overheat so fast.
3) How to fix it? I had to reinstall Windows XP and completely restore the computer from scratch. This is obviously quite intense processing, and it was shutting down constantly. What I did was hook up a vacuum hose to the back left of my Satellite 1955-S801 and put my fingers around the hose so it would maximize suction. I then ran the vacuum for 30 seconds. I repeated this a number of times during the Windows XP setup, and it never shut down once. The fan is running much quieter, and it is really amazing how well it works!

Please respond and let us know how this (and previous) advice helps for you.

Dan

Max Bai Nov 05, 2004, 05:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My condition is same as Kishore Palle.
My new A75-S206 crashes all the time. I am trying his method, see if it works.

Chris Randall Nov 05, 2004, 09:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Kishore,

In response to your question regarding XP Pro upgrade. It won't do anything worse. In fact, in my experience, I have found Pro to be alot more stable than Home and offers many features that are not available in Home. Mostly networking and web stuff but if you want to setup a small network, run a website or FTP, Pro is the way to go with XP. Good luck with the upgrade!

Kishore Palle Nov 05, 2004, 11:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Randal,

Thanx for your reply & help. I already upgraded it to XP PRO and you were right. The system is more stable now than before. Its not shutting down on me...I say so far so good.

And I am sorry to hear about you Maxi. Try the Toshiba Power supply options and set that to max cooling performance. Fan makes some noise but its better than abrupt shutdown loosing all the work.

All the Best

Kishore

Daniel Lipsy Nov 05, 2004, 11:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 05, 2004, 11:51am EST

On a related note...I found a simple upgrade to the graphics card really helped for me.

My graphics card is the GeForce4 440 Go, which had an old driver from 2002. However, once I was able to uprade to the GeForce4 440 Go (MD5400), new games (Rise of Nations, etc.) loaded much faster, with less CPU churn, and even my AC adapter was not heating up as much...

I'd recommend going to http://www.driverguide.com and registering for free to find your latest update. I did so, and I'm so happy I did.

PM me if you have questions or want to find an update.

George King Nov 05, 2004, 01:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
YES DO NOT OPEN YOUR LAPTOP take it to a qualified technician but before that why dont u just take some compressed canned air and blow the shiznit out of the fans/heatsink... im a computer technician for CC and its not just toshiba laptops its every laptop out there... cooling pads are a good idea for a temporary fix... i found that the passive one (ones w/ no fans) work the best they just raise the laptop off ur clothes etc etc keep this in mind... you probably want to have your laptop professionally clean about every year to year and a half to prevent overheating because ur processor will warp if it overheats too many times even if it has thermal protection... ive seen it happen

Chris Randall Nov 05, 2004, 01:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
with the proper precautions and a bit of knowledge opening up a laptop is not brain surgery. If the laptop is not on warranty it will cost money to take it to a tech. And you don't need to spend it. I have never taken any of my PCs or laptops to a tech. I learned how to do it myself for a fraction of the cost. Never had a problem that I haven't been able to fix...yet! :)

Michel Gallant Nov 05, 2004, 01:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you have experience dealing with hardware, then by all means, give it a go. Keep in mind that it will be a delicate operation. You have to be able to remove the heatsink from the processor before removing the processor. In my case, the processor actually came out with the heatsink, without me opening up the ziff socket. Almost had a heart attack with visions of pins being pulled of of the CPU. If you're the least bit apprehensive about it, leave it to a professionnal. Definitely give the compressed air and vacuum a try before opening it up though. In my case, it wasn't enough...thoses weren't dust bunnies in there, they were dust buffalos!

Chris Randall Nov 05, 2004, 02:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For sure. Don't get me wrong, if you have no clue about what you are doing don't go in there. Find out what to do and how to do it first. As long as you are grounded and you are careful you shouldn't have any problems.

The heat sink thing could have been a disater though, I'll agree on that one! Just need to be extra careful.

I only said that because you get raped when taking in computers for repairs. Unbelieveable how much they charge you for stuff. One store where I am charges $45 to install RAM! Criminal is what that is.

Kishore Palle Nov 05, 2004, 06:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think I successfully dealt with the shutdown prob, I have a simple prob... I thought I might post it and poeple here can help me with that.

I have installed XP PRO SP2 on my system. I listen to a lot of music on my laptop. When ever I put my machine on standby and resume it...I won't be able to listen to anything until I restart it.

Even it doen't say any warning message like some other device is using the audio device. The progress bar of the audio / video file moves when i play anything after resuming... but no sound.

Its not a terrible prob but still is kinda irrtating to restart each time. Thanx for your help in advance.

Kishore

Max Bai Nov 16, 2004, 02:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The shutdown problem existed!
I changed the cooling mode to max performence in toshiba power management.
It appears to be ok in first several days, but now it keeps locking or restarting again.
I don't think it's just the setting or software issue, the A75-S206 system must have defect in it.

John Bickford Nov 16, 2004, 11:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Max:

It's not a software setting, nor is it a "defect." It's just the cold reality that active air circulation causes dust accumulation in *all* computers. This dust may eventually impede airflow in critical areas, causing components to overheat. In the case of these Toshiba laptops, dust eventually covers the fins of the CPU heatsink, impeding airflow (and insulating the fins). The CPU runs hotter and hotter until it starts overheating, which triggers an immediate shutdown (and shortens the life of the CPU, possibly causing permanent damage).

The solution, as discussed elsewhere in this thread in detail, is to clear the accumulated dust from the CPU heatsink. For you and some other people, changing a software setting to provide "maximum performance" or "maximum cooling" provided a temporary solution to the problem by forcing the fan to work harder at circulating air through the dusty heatsink fins. With the fan blowing a little harder, the problem might go away temporarily. But make no mistake: this is a *temporary* fix. The increased airflow will causes additional dust to accumulate on the heatsink at an even faster rate, until the airflow is again impeded to the point where the CPU overheats. The only good solution is to clear out the dust. You can do it yourself, as others have discussed doing here, or you can take it to a service center.

Kishore Palle Nov 16, 2004, 03:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John,

If it true, I can see me having to deal with big probs in near future. :( As of now its not shutting down on me but now I have a new prob, sometimes it suddenly stopes responding. I doesn't work at all. I have to poweroff and switch it back again to restart. Could this be because of the heat as well???

But I observed is if for some time, the system is not moved from its place and then all of the sudden you make sudden movements, it hangs up on me. When the system is in this kinda condition, the fan won't be working too.

GOD I HATE TOSHIBA. BY GOD somebody should do something against that scumbag company,

Max Bai Nov 18, 2004, 07:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John,
I cleaned the notebook as you advised . There are lots of dust in the heatsink, almost block up the cooling channel.
Thanx very much.
I don't know how long it will last. It will become a periodical job. Opening the pc is a really hard work.

Max

Chris Randall Nov 19, 2004, 10:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kishore,

The problem of it locking up and forcing you to reboot could very well be a heat issue. Computers in general are fragile machines and are very vulnerable to extremes in temp, cold or hot. If you haven't cleaned out your laptop yet I suggest that you do so or, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, take it into your local service center. If it is on warranty don't even bother trying yourself, send it to get repaired. That way you are ensuring that Toshiba knows of the issue with your laptop and you have ammo for future occurances.

As for the locking up when the laptop is moved, that is something that you should take to a tech, especially if it is under warranty. This could be some type of short on the board that could be causing more damage.

Toshiba laptops are not all bad. I have sold/used.supported many of them and they are very durable machines. But unfortunately there are lemons out there. The heat problem caused by dust build up is not Toshiba specific. It happens to all PC's and laptops on the market. Some sooner and more frequent but never the less it does happen.

Long story short, take the needed steps to correct the problem and, if you have a warranty USE IT! That's what it's there for. Make sure you hound Toshiba to fix the problem or replace the system. Keep all documentation and correspondence for use as a CYA paper trail. Good luck!

Lisa Sullivan Nov 20, 2004, 03:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the great hints. I just took to the vents on my laptop with a vacum cleaner and loads of dust came out. Three days later - still no shutdowns. Previously, I could only run for about 30 mins on a good day and then had to give it a good rest. Feel like I have solved the problem - might still send it to a service centre for a birthday present (a good clean)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.