Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1311 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 05:01am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Roxx R Mar 23, 2006, 11:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
I've thought about this laptop issue for awhile, Toshiba has had my laptop in their possession more than I have had it.have returned the laptop with a broken keyboard, a substandard monitor...the list goes on. I am tired of trying to talk about computers to people whose first language is NOT English, it's just to hard. For the last 4 years I have been buying my towers from a small American company I really like. Dak Tech. (1-800-325-3238). They are in South Dakota, speak english and I never have to wait to talk to someone.

They have a plaid notebook that I may try next. I shudder at the mere thought of another laptop tho.
Roxx

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
scaff scaff Mar 29, 2006, 03:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, just tried the fix above on my a30 didnt open machine just removed panel on the back if you know a good car mechanic he or she ;) will have the torx bit needed, i cleaned a 3mm thick lump of dust running the hole length of the heatsink away now the machine is running real good just got to go and get some new heatsink grease. Many thanks for another real usefull and money saving post !!

Tatsh Apr 04, 2006, 12:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I tried to do heatsync cleaning on my Satellite 1905 S301 and when I pulled the heat sync, the CPU came with it. I'm not sure exactly how to separate (blowdryer?). Besides this, I put the CPU back in the laptop, screw the entire thing back in (which is tough) and now there is no video, and the disk drive icon (with power, and power cord/battery) stay on for a few seconds. Then it just shuts off. Did I completely mess up my mobo somehow? Seems like this laptop is gone now. Not sure what to do (other than hope it magically works again). :(

Anonymous User Apr 04, 2006, 05:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would say that you are a little bit stupid, doing something like that, when you have no idea, what you are doing. I would recommend you to read all this topic.. and its 100 replys...
before doing something like this..

you have to remove all the thermal compound every time you remove your heatsink..
and you have to do it with a .. (well i do it with vodka:P)

then learn how to attach the thermal compound from the arctic silver webpage, the link
is a few posts upwards.. then if the processor is absolutely cleaned.. there (at least i have)
should be a little screw besides the cpu socket.. that says open and closed
you have to screw it to open then put the cpu in the socket.. then screw it closed,
dont be afraid to use a little force with that screw.. In few times, I have let that screw open..
so if you dont close the screw, or do something wrong, the laptop doesnt start.. If you do anything
wrong, attaching the compound or the heatsink to cpu.. you could damage the cpu...
if it cant transfer the heat to heatsink.. it can be damaged in 15 seconds or something..

Tatsh Apr 04, 2006, 07:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the info. I did not know there was something I had to do with that screw there. Is there a good way to separate the heat sync and CPU? Because you mentioned the screw on the slot, I feel as though the CPU is sitting there but not all the way like before. And running the laptop without the CPU does the same thing as "with."

This is a great help.

Anonymous User Apr 04, 2006, 04:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the cpu comes out with the heatsink, thats true.. slide the cpu away from heatsink.. it cant be pulled, so slide it.. the hardest part of this operation is cleaning the cpu.. dont let the compound to the other side, where the pins are!! and be sure to read how to attach it.. and the right ammount, to the right place!!!
the compound dont need to cover all the cpu cover.

i have the same type of satellite, and i have "FUCCKED"
with this problem for about a year, and spent alot of money that didnt need to be spent, hopeing I could
fix this problem, but right now its all clean and right, and I still have to vacuum clean it after every
few days.

its not necessary to take the heatsink out everytime you want to clean, I vacuume clean it with maximum
sucking power.. from the left side of the laptop, not from the bottom, because if I did that from the bottom,
the vent would start spinning the opposite direction other then its normal working habit.. maby it is
bad for the vent, I dont know , im not sure, but i like to vacume it from the side...

I have to vacume it every few days!! am i the only one? my 1905 is 4-5 years old.. and it runs 24 hours
if i dont vacume clean it, it starts shutting down, its extra sensitive to dust, IF YOU DO KNOW
SOMETHING I DONT KNOW, WRITE IT HERE

Tatsh Apr 04, 2006, 09:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 04, 2006, 09:42pm EDT

I almost don't care anymore now. My plans (planned a while ago) to get a new laptop next month are still going to happen, and I will sell this one for whatever it's worth.

Basically, I took out the CPU and heatsync together and cleaned near the fan a bit. Much more airflow now when it turns on, but it's no use if there's no video. I managed to get the CPU back into the slot properly by filing a hole in the heatsync.

Anyway, it's dead to me. Doesn't seem like there's a way to fix it. I think in forgetting to do the latch (screw) I "f**ked" up the slot during first run after cleaning. I'm sure the CPU works still, and there are no bent pins.

Problems: no video, turns on and shuts right off perhaps due to CPU slot or CPU itself, PCMCIA slots have been broken since I got it. Everything else works, and the RAM I guess is good, and the 40GB and DVDROM drive works along with the floppy.

Maybe $100? Or is it even worth that? Should I sell known working parts instead? The battery is pretty new, got it November last year, and still holds a real good charge.

Anonymous User Apr 05, 2006, 01:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am pretty sure that your laptop is fine.. and it works, and you just didnt put it together right..

must be cleaned good... maby you didnt use enough force on that screw, maby you didnt clean the cpu,
and the heatsink properly, entirely... maby you didnt attach the thermal grease right.. maby you have some
shitty grease.. I am pretty sure that its one of those things.. otherwise your laptop should work

Tatsh Apr 05, 2006, 03:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm almost sure it's something that simple also. But my main issue is getting the CPU and heatsink to separate in order to clean. I really do not know how to go about this. And after that, I'll go get some Arctic Silver.

I was hoping to get rid of this by next month and put the money towards the new laptop which I'm getting regardless of anything.

paul mcnarthy Apr 05, 2006, 04:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Want to sell the laptop?
How much?

Dont want the parts, I want the whole thing, and i will take whatever parts i need.

How much do you want to sell your broken/dead laptop for?

Tatsh Apr 05, 2006, 05:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 21, 2006, 11:24pm EDT

Based on replies, I'll do for $225 and you can haggle.

EDIT: it's being sent for repairs. Probably will cost $100 then I will probably sell it for $350-400 on eBay.

David Western Apr 15, 2006, 01:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
People have been discussing crashes, what the causes might be and how to fix them. I have a problem with my computer constantly freezing up - not spontaneously shutting down, just freezing. I'm wondering if everything that's been said here might apply to freezes as well?
I've gone on a marathon of upgrading and re-installing to fix this probem and nothing has so far worked. About the only thing I haven't tried that doesn't involve sending my laptop off to the Toshiba people is this constant suggesting of cleaning out the heatsink. I will give that a try (and I suppose my heatsink could just use a good cleaning anyway) but do you think it might solve a freezing issue???
(i.e., if the computer crashes as a safety mechanism to avoid over-heating, and the dirty fan/heatsink problem tends to overheating, than I can see why cleaning the fan would result in a fixed crash problem, but if freezing ISN'T a result of an overheated CPU (and I don;t know whether it would be or wouldn;t be) than perhaps cleaning the heatsink won't fix my feezing problem???)
Thanks,
David

Lay D Apr 16, 2006, 04:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop. I have had the problem of my computer just switching off but it has got really bad, i was going to get my friend to erase all the software and start from scratch as he suggested it maybe a software problem. I have read the posts regarding a fan problem that cleaning the fan will work, i will let him know that this could be the cause of the problem.

Thank you, i will let you know if this works ;)

Does anyone know anything about Mac's i have a G4 i erased all the software and when i tried to install Tiger the cd drive wouldn't accept it, does anyone know how i can get hold of classic 9? i only have the update disc i didn't realise i would erase everything i have problems connecting to the net because my Mac doesn't recognise anything i did reinstall all the software discs i got with the computer? HELP Please ;)

Lay D Apr 16, 2006, 04:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop. I have had the problem of my computer just switching off but it has got really bad, i was going to get my friend to erase all the software and start from scratch as he suggested it maybe a software problem. I have read the posts regarding a fan problem that cleaning the fan will work, i will let him know that this could be the cause of the problem.

Thank you, i will let you know if this works ;)

Does anyone know anything about Mac's i have a G4 i erased all the software and when i tried to install Tiger the cd drive wouldn't accept it, does anyone know how i can get hold of classic 9? i only have the update disc i didn't realise i would erase everything i have problems connecting to the net because my Mac doesn't recognise anything i did reinstall all the software discs i got with the computer? HELP Please ;)

tor - Apr 17, 2006, 11:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well for all you computer pros out there you dont have to dignify this with a response, but if you dont mind i do have a question.

i looked at this forum and read the first 3 pages and skipped to the last 2 pages because the information became very redundant, i am sorry if this is bad etiquette, and i realized that my fear of overhearing related shutdowns was confirmed. unfortunately i know very little about laptops, for example i think this is a satellite a15 s129, but i dont know, to me its a toshiba satellite and thats all, im afraid to get in there and wrestle with the cpu and heatsink or whatever. i do want this fixed and id rather not spend any money. so heres the question: should i attempt to do the sugery myself or do you think it is necessary to get the docs in here? i do know some guys who say that they know what theyre doin and theyll fix it for free, but i dont wanna loose a friend over a computer. ps this baby is atleast two years old and still kickin as long as i dont play games on it or burn/rip CDs>>then it conveniently shutsdown.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advanced as im lazy and not likely to properly thank kind soul who does assist me with this friggin problem. btw i have not yet tried to even clean the fan from the oustide but i have the the back of the laptop propped up about 1.5 inches off my desk and that does help a little, but i still cannot do the aforementioned and i am afraid of this being a degenerative problem.

Roxx R Apr 18, 2006, 09:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Class Action Lawsuit Update
The following is copied from a letter I receieved regarding the class action lawsuit regarding Toshiba's laptops.
Toshiba Class Action

Thank you for contacting Green Welling LLP for information about the class action against Toshiba America Information Systems regarding the A70, A75, M30X and M35X Satellite notebook computers.

Toshiba Class Action Status Update and Recommended Action

Although two class actions are on file (including ours), we recommend you file an individual lawsuit in an effort to expedite your claims and protect your interests. We make this recommendation because even though Toshiba says it reached a proposed settlement, nothing has been presented to us or the court. Meanwhile, we cannot advance our case and you are left waiting indefinitely for an unknown resolution. It could be six months or more before you see tangible results from those talks. By offering the opportunity to bring an individual lawsuit, we provide you the opportunity to control your own destiny. You will be able to make litigation and settlement decisions for yourself and you will have access to advice and assistance from counsel.
GREEN WELLING LLP

David Milton Apr 21, 2006, 10:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have discovered, tested and verified the solution for the P15, P25 and A series laptop shutdown problem. For many, it is not as simple as dust clogging the exhaust ports. Nor is it as simple as a motherboard mod, alone. It involves fixing 4 things on your computer, including a mod on the power supply. Because I make my living fix computers and designing, re-engineering and reverse engineering products, I can't publish the info. I will, however, make my finding available to the plaintiffs on the class action suit. I will also fix your computer, for a fee. Before anyone flames me, understand this: I make a living from things in my brain. You wouldn't give away the only tool you have for earning a living, would you? The fix mods the power supply, the motherboard and the DC jack. Yes, even the jacks you find on eBay may not fix the problem. I found 2 that did not work, 1 did. All 3 look the same, but there is a difference you can't see.

Tommy Blanchard May 10, 2006, 07:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I won't bore you all with my story, which just sounds the same as the ones already posted. Just a quick summary of what this laptop (Satellite A70) has put me through: First week of my first year of university, it stopped charging/using AC power. Once the battery ran out, that was it. I took it in (it was still under warranty), and after a week or so I got it back (they had to replace the entire system board). A while later, the overheating started. It got ridiculously bad, to the point where I couldn't do anything on it. The warranty was up, so I opened it up and cleaned out the heatsinks, and the overheating stopped. Now, about a year and a couple months after I originally bought the thing, I am starting to get the third problem which is making usage of this laptop unbearable. The common static electricity problem. My computer will just shut off, often ruining hours of work or anything else I might be doing.

First, is there an easy fix to the static electricity problem? I have read through many of the messages, but I haven't read through all of them, so if solutions have already been posted, I apologize. Will simply unplugging the speakers from the system board work? I could live without the crappy laptop speakers.

I called Toshiba about my complaints, and they told me to call back during the day so I could speak with customer relations. I was wondering if anyone had an email address I could send my complaints to, since calling during the day is not an option in the near future. Is it likely that I could be compensated for this laptop I regret purchasing, if I complain enough?

David Milton May 10, 2006, 07:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The static problem is easy to fix. All you need to do is crack the case and run a wire from the metal speaker covers to a better chassis ground. Solder the wire in place, or use metal tape with an adhesive backing from the speakers to ground. DO NOT use a ground on the MB. Use a chassis ground instead.

David

Roxx R May 10, 2006, 11:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Toshiba Satellite A70, A75, M30X, and M35X notebook computers have an alleged defect that causes the computer to lock up and reboot when touched, which renders the computer essentially useless.

Green Welling has filed a class action lawsuit against Toshiba America Information Systems on behalf of all persons and entities who have owned an A70, A75, M30X, and/or M35X Toshiba notebook computer during the last four years, and a subclass of all such persons or entities who purchased an extended warranty from Toshiba with regard to the specified notebook computers.

According to the lawsuit, consumers’ notebook computers generate static electricity that causes the computers to lock up and reboot when touched causing loss of time and data and damage to other hardware components.

The complaint alleges that Toshiba concealed the defective nature of these notebooks from consumers. Toshiba issued a Support Bulletin on its website, where Defendant's "fix" for the defective computers is advising owners of the A70,A75, M30X, and M35X computers to ship their notebooks to a Toshiba Notebook Depot, or a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider for testing. Repairs performed by Defendant have failed to provide a permanent fix to the defect, however.

The complaint alleges that Toshiba: (1) is in violation of the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act; (2) Toshiba is in violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law; and (3) Toshiba is in breach of the express warranty for the notebook computers. The plaintiff seeks an injunction and other equitable relief as well as damages arising out of the defective notebook computer.

The plaintiff is also sending a letter to Toshiba requesting that Toshiba provide a remedy to the persons and/or entities that have been damaged by Toshiba’s conduct.

If you have experienced this problem with your Toshiba notebook computer, or would like more information about the lawsuit, please contact us at 415-477-6700 or e-mail us at gw@classcounsel.com.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.