Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1278 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 04:57am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Anonymous User May 16, 2006, 05:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
Hi David Milton,
Can you please have mercy for me, i have messed with my laptop for 1 year every week..
if I could i could pay you, If you really could fix it, my problem is that i live in estonia..
(eastern europe) could you please send me the 4 things that you have discovered, to email
pet@starline.ee or tell me in msn, and block me after .. my msn is the same pet@starline.ee
Peeter

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Rhona Mitra Jun 25, 2006, 09:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem! I was so p**sed. But, I opened it up, cleaned off the cheap thermal paste they used with alcohol, applied arctic silver 5, closed it up, and it works perfectly. You can also try vacuuming the heat sink and fan if you don't want to open up your laptop.

Spam Me Jul 16, 2006, 11:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought my Toshiba Satellite P35-S609 in January 2005 and it started shutting down on me around September of that year. It was sporadic at first but got worse, especially when developing software or playing games - CPU intensive operations. It was still under shop warranty so I took it in December 2005 and they told me the heat sink was dirty so they cleaned it. It worked fine up until this past week when I noticed it has started shutting down again with intensive operation.

I tried removing all the screws to take it apart and clean it myself but even with all the screws out I was not able to easily get the case off. Now I'm debating whether to continue with my DIY project or take it back to the shop and have to live without it for 10 days to two weeks! It's very frustrating.

I had another issue with it shortly after I bought it: the motherboard died. It was replaced free of charge but again I had to go without my laptop for two weeks. Not a good experience with Toshiba I have to say. But then again I can't think of any manufacturer that I haven't heard of someone having a nightmare experience with: Dell, Gateway, Sony, IBM...

Spam-Me

Spam Me Jul 16, 2006, 12:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry if this has been posted before, I have read a good bit of this thread but not every post. I found this great site that gives step-by-step instructions (with pictures) on how to disassemble a Toshiba Satellte P35 laptop. After looking at this article I have decided NOT to try to clean my own laptop but to take it in to the shop and have them do it!

http://irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaP35/SatelliteP35_fix_...ting_1.htm

Spam-Me
(Hardware wimp!)

George Simon Jul 16, 2006, 01:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello people,

I made a guide with pictures on how to clean the CPU Heatsink (The reason for the shutdown problem) on a satellite Toshiba 1955-S805.

Feel free to download the PDF manual on my homepage: http://tinyurl.com/e4wlu
(megaupload and rapidshare link)

I hope this will help some of you facing this problem.

Best regards

CH@IN

Dee Clinton Jul 18, 2006, 01:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 18, 2006, 02:07am EDT

Thank you for posting your guide for cleaning the Toshiba 1955-S805 heatsink. I too had similar shutdown problems. I cleaned the heatsink, but continued to have even worse problems! With the battery removed and the ac adapter plugged in, it stilll shut down within minutes. If I let it alone, shut off, with the ac plugged in, the battery would charge...but as soon as I started it up, it would "discharge" and eventually shut down even with the ac plugged in.

I couldn't find a guide to disassemble the 1955-S805, but decided to try it anyway...heck, nothing to lose! It certainly wasn't easy, but I finally got it completely disassembled. The dc jack "looked" ok, but I noticed that just in front of the jack, the 4 spots where it was obviously soldered had worn down. 2 still had a little solder, but 2 were practically bare. I added solder to all 4 spots.

I should mention that I bought a torx screwdriver set ($14.95) at Radio Shack....and as I started to disassemble it, I drew diagrams and taped the screws to my drawings.

During this time, it was "hit and miss" as I tried to figure out what was stilled "screwed" in. Finally, I freed the mobo, cleaned it with canned air (a lot of clumpy dust was on the board).

After soldering the 4 spots, I put it back together.....this was much easier than I thought it would be. You kind of figure things out as you take it apart!

Anyway, I plugged it in and it booted fine.....the battery charged and went green. Everything worked fine.

Before all this, I could hear the fan at times...now it is as quiet as a mouse and running perfectly. Its been 4 days now and I'm really pleased.

I bought this laptop new in April 2003, along with an extended warranty from Frys Electronics (an additional $200 plus)....I never had to use the factory warranty or the extended warranty...which expired in April 2006. My shut down problems began in mid May and steadily got worse.

I'm not a "kid", or a "geek"....in fact, I'm an old grandma with 7 grandkids (3 in high school!). Anyway, if I can do it, you can too!

I've kept my diagrams (chicken scratch diagrams)....and I'm willing to help anyone with a 1955-s805 that needs to dissasemble it. I wish I had taken photos of the disassembly...oh well, hind sight is always 20-20.

The bottom line is: My laptop is working great, holding its charge, no more "blinking lights", no more shutdowns!

Marina Chester Aug 15, 2006, 07:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just came across this thread...I can't believe it! I have not used my Toshiba laptop for OVER A YEAR because I thought it was my fault it would shut off. I thought I had dinged it around and damaged it, and that it would cost $$$ for someone to fix "my" mistake. I'm going to start with the vacuum idea, then go to cleaning the heatsink afterwards.

ALSO I saw one post about it shutting down when it is touched...that has happened to me too, but I thought it was because I touched the screen portion, and that there was a bad connection that shorted out. I will test that theory out, too, by touching other parts of the computer. Although I don't understand static electricity going through a plastic casing.

Thank you all for your postings!

Michael Johncock Sep 03, 2006, 08:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just had the same problem on a customers Toshiba. All I did was remove the 2 torx screws holding the CPU cover in place. It's located on the bottom left hand corner of the unit. Pulled the heat sink/CPU and blew a ton of dust from the heat sink. Problem solved. No need to remove the 600 screws which I did first.

Good luck

MAx Blanck Nov 20, 2006, 02:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello!

I have had the same problem as all of you witjh a Satellite 5200. After cleaning the heat sink I decided to change the fan beacue i tought of it as broken due to the noises it mad while operating. Now the new fan does not work. I tried it separately and it works fine. Does anyone of you have an idea why the fan is not working when mounted on the laptop?

Regards

max

Ken clark Nov 30, 2006, 12:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have one of these A75 Toshiba's and it turns on then shuts off. I can enter the BIOS and it will stay on forever while in BIOS, If I exit BIOS it will shut off. Fan/heatpipe is clean as I disassembled and cleaned. I ordered a new AC jack to try that. Just seems odd that I can enter BIOS and it will stay on but shuts off any other time.

Edgar Duarte Jan 17, 2007, 11:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
same problem here with a variant...

After reading this post i made all the cleaning i could in my computer... it is a satelite 1900 sp303 , i took off the heatsink but didnt apply new thermal compound, because i dont have and wanted to know if it would work... i dont know if i did more harm than good!

The computer didnt boot at all, after the cleaning I also removed one of the two RAM chips, and it started booting. I had a 512 mb chip and a 256 MB chip, it seems like the 256 MB is burned since the computer wont boot when i try to use that chip.

But now the computer boots and everything... until it reaches windows (or linux i have both). then when it reaches the point when you should enter your username and password it will shutdown without any warning.

I am wondering if it is an overheating because i didnt apply new thermal compound. It has the old thermal compoung but i didnt put more. Could it be a software problem?

Thanks

paul mcnarthy Jan 17, 2007, 11:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I know you guys are having some serious problems with your laptop's.
I have found the best replacement.

Its the TOSHIBA Portege.
It weights less than the palm of your hand.
It is faster than what you have right now.
And best of all I am willing to sell it to you guys for a very good price which includes significant upgrades + a 5 yr platinum warranty.

Here are the specs and a link with the BASE product.
SO my laptop is EVerything this link says + the upgrades of:
RAM: 1GB
Warranty: 5y Platinum best buy (7 business days guaranteed return)
OFFICE: registered 2003 version, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, flash, ADOBE Writer Suite, NERO 7 Ultra edition, Humming bird suite. All these products cost 300 dollars each and you will have that for free.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Portege_R205_S209_Pentium_M_75...90337.html

This is a good deal and BEST OF ALL:
Your overheating problems are GONE!
This system works with LOW heat requirements since its a centrino chip (which also means it has an amazing built in wireless device). Further Toshiba finally got smart and decided to install the air ducts on the SIDE instead of sucking dirt from the bottom of the notebook.

This is an awsome machine i use it for enterprise hard core work.
NOT A GAMING MACHINE. But does everything else.

if interested just let me know:
mcnarthy.paul@gmail.com

1500 USD will ship to your door.

Thanks (by the way, your laptop problems will be GONE because this system is not only solid but BACKED up with a 5 yr platinum warranty from Best buy! This warranty expires in 2011 Feb).

Why am i selling?
Because i want a macbook pro for heavy multimedia use.

Rich Walker Feb 10, 2007, 10:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A15-S192. Fan has made a racket for about a year (comupter is just a 2 1/2 years old now) finally started shutting down. Always graphics applications, movie maker and the worst was Bejeweled on Yahoo. This is my work laptop so I was hesitant to do to much until I had a backup (computer, my info is on a seperate hard drive). Bought one and had at it.

Same problem with everyone on dust. Removed fan, cleaned. Removed heat sink but my adhesive had pretty much already melted. I did not reapply any adhesive and I keep reading about artic ice. The heat sink in mine fits fairly tight, any reason to reapply adhesive?

Also upgraded my graphics drive to the Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME version 2894 available on Toshiba's web page. Don't even really know if that was better than what I had but it seemed to have a newer release date.

So far so good, my kids can play zoo tycoon II on it know and it doesn't shut down. Getting up the nerve to try bejeweled. Pretty sad computer overall. Will never buy another Toshiba and am trying to stay away from intel processors which I have heard are more suseptible to heat.

George Simon Feb 11, 2007, 11:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Please make sure to reapply NEW thermal-paste. It's purpose is NOT there to keep your heatsink attached to the CPU like an adhesive, but in order to allow a proper thermoflow from the "die" (CPU head) to the heatsink. A CPU without a heatsink attached would get broken in just !!!few!!!! seconds! (*just to point out how serious this is)

You do also use something greasy like butter or oil in a pan when you want to cook, no? ;)

regards
electrochain

Rich Walker Feb 14, 2007, 07:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Rich Walker Feb 14, 2007, 07:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Appreciate your response. Just to make sure, what I am referring to as the heatsink is a copper tube assembly mounted on the processor chip. So that stuff actually helps it transfer heat from the chip on out the computer? Guess silicone won't work then, how about JB weld. Just kidding (kinda)

Again Thanks

Jason Patte Mar 15, 2007, 06:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You sir deserve some props for your manual. :thumbsup:

I bought a Toshiba Satellite A30 for $ 100.00! Dude told me about the shuting down for no reason.. that he could find. The fan was screaming constantly and then of a sudden bamn nothing.

I actually said WOW when a pulled the 1/2 thick sheet of crap off the back of the heatsink.

Running sweet and quiet as a mouse..

You're a good man CH@IN

Jason Patte
Toronto, Canada

Jason Patte Mar 15, 2007, 06:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 15, 2007, 06:25pm EDT

George Simon said:
Hello people,

I made a guide with pictures on how to clean the CPU Heatsink (The reason for the shutdown problem) on a satellite Toshiba 1955-S805.

Feel free to download the PDF manual on my homepage: http://tinyurl.com/e4wlu
(megaupload and rapidshare link)

I hope this will help some of you facing this problem.

Best regards
__

CH@IN

Ya you, George Simon.

This should address 90 % of the issues on this thread I would think.

Jason Patte Mar 15, 2007, 07:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Also, no paste needed here. Just the torx screwdriver and phillps (star). The heatsink with CPU attached came out fairly easy and went back in which was a tad tricky but not really...

I'm still giddy :-)

:dancing banana:

http://electrochain.googlepages.com/toshibafan

:pointstothesky:

George Simon Mar 17, 2007, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for your positive feedback.

I am glad my guide helped you,

Best regards,
electrochain

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.